What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeaMaiden

All I know is that it is so much easier to rawk it outside than inside for me, that it's almost a no-brainer.

First real storm of the year has hit, so now I've gotta figure out my tomatoes and peppers. Waiting for a friend to arrive from Monterey, I'm going to have him help me make some char and put up a tunnel for my maters & peppers, see if I can get some more ripening on those fruits. Then, it's harvest of winter squashes and we're pretty much done for the year unless I change my mind about starting up cole crops. He's also going to bring me some MOTHERS. Woot! AND he'll be helping me get the indoor areas fired up again. Gonna put him to work. Winter = relaxing...? I wish.

Y

YosemiteSam

4500 ft on the edge of a desert and the uv index is still in that 5 range and taking them down now. Qaulity appears to be every bit as good as indoor...but I guess it remains to be seen for sure.

S

SeaMaiden

4500 ft on the edge of a desert and the uv index is still in that 5 range and taking them down now. Qaulity appears to be every bit as good as indoor...but I guess it remains to be smoked for sure.

There. Fixed it for ya.

I'm sure it's going to be of excellent quality.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a good quality trimmin machine?

Not necessarily going to buy one, but if I were what is the best quality one that doesnt beat up your buds.

Tom Hill

Veteran
For going through real weight and finding that middle ground where everybody walks away smiling (the jeweler-loop toting buyer etc). I have gone back to the old thumb eaters (the original wide gap thick grill trim-pros) coupled with expert equipment operators. To watch an expert artfully dance a cola across these things with both speed and tlc, really is a sight to see. Average output is about 10# per operator/machine, per day.

V

Veg N Out

I believe you already got the advice Organic..look for the ones that can handle the decreasing light intensity and still produce a dense resinous flower with the vigor to get to the size needed for the target yield and the plant structure to carry said yield...a few that come to mind are salmon creek big bud...blue dream...the real Trainwreck..

Tom Hill

Veteran
Yeah those ones Veg N mentioned are about as big/late as I can go here where I am at. Lots of things run through my mind hearing the question. For example, I would go to 3Kings sooner than any of it's parents when going for maximum end of the day gettin paid etc. But so many other things come into play, most of us are currently shackled by how much we can process with-in the given time frame more than anything else. So it becomes uber important to have a plant spread which can maximize the timeframe of the harvestable season. EG I'd much rather be trimming Berry White late September, than to be trimming nothing at all during that time. I have over filled my cup/grown so much that I can't get to it all in time in the past etc. After we tackle what the biggest yielding plants are, we need to address what the biggest yielding scenario is, this is what should be in the head of the project manager and unless you have unlimited processing space as well as processors, the two (biggest plant vs biggest over-all yield) will not likely be the same answer very often.

IE, unless you can do what we've all dreamed about, snap your fingers and have it all in the bag presto-chango,,, it is better to be processing 20# per day for 40 days, than only 30 days. This is the lesson which comes in loud and clear as we watch tripple digits succumb to pathogen as we are left there helpless to do anything about it. I have been inside that nightmare, and I can think of nothing that sucks much more than that.

Plants like that early BW need to be there, and plants like TW due to their exceptionally long harvest windows have a certain undeniable intrinsic value, when looking at the big picture, then yes, I want to wrap it all up with plenty of something like BlueDream. This is what the height of energy management will look like inside of the mid-large production farms, after we have come to grips with all the little pieces and filed them all into their proper places. -T

Last edited:

theJointedOne

Veteran
IMHO if you can have three cultivars spread out over a large sized op, you can take things in waves and process in waves.... one ready last week of sept, one ready first week of oct, and one ready by 2nd week... imho this gives you a chance to not get overwhelmed by the wave and hopefully be out before the shit (weather, mold, lack of attention b/c of sheer business) gets to be too much to handle

Dont want to be stuck holding your you know what while the plants sit there and degrade simply b/c of poor planning.

Zdub7k

Im employing a tek that Ive used inside for years...a double harvest of each plant...Ive got all my tops down, and then I go and clean up the leaves on each plant exposing the under-developed smaller inner buds to the sunlight and colder temps...I continue to water them and let the bottoms of the plant go for about another two weeks...improves yeild and quality of overall harvest, helping deliver more uniform elbows...and makes the time frame a lot easier to handle as well...anybody else do this?

I've been dealing with snow and hail. Hail is a much larger concern. A nearly mature cannabis plant can deal with light snow no problem. Hail on the other hand can create problems fast.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Im employing a tek that Ive used inside for years...a double harvest of each plant...Ive got all my tops down, and then I go and clean up the leaves on each plant exposing the under-developed smaller inner buds to the sunlight and colder temps...I continue to water them and let the bottoms of the plant go for about another two weeks...improves yeild and quality of overall harvest, helping deliver more uniform elbows...and makes the time frame a lot easier to handle as well...anybody else do this?

pretty much do the same thing, my dieselberrys gave me 2lbs of top colas on september 21st, dried and in patients pipes by the first week of october. then on october 15th we took another 1 to 2 lbs of middle nugs that swelled up to almost the same size as tops, ripened nicely and turned purple from the cold temps..and they still have another 1/2 lb of smaller popcorn buds that im gonna leave out through the rain and harvest after all the main stuff is processed...

same thing with strains...we had 1/3 of the garden early finishers like LA con and Dieselberry, had all of those processed october 1st. then came the OG kushes oct7-14th....and then came down the trainwrecks and cookies on october 18-20th right before the storm..

and those grill bladed trim machines are the best....does anyone know where to get GREEN REAPER replacement parts, or if the equivelant machines that operate the same work as good? the machine has been saving my ass, takes all the fan leaves off real quickly and then the hand trimmers only take 2-3 hours to clean up each LB depending on strain.

outdoor GSC
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

somoz

Veteran
Prop that view looks bangin, nice work man!

Per this discussion of finding suitable strains that can optimally handle the light reduction, what are peoples thoughts on this. If you're running greenhouses wouldn't a counter balance to this problem be running lights the last month of your season? This presupposes you are running GH's and that you have power on your hill, but if you were running this type of scenario wouldn't this put your plants over the top so to speak?

Drop 10-20 bare HPS/MH bulbs in there and let em rip....I'd be interested to hear from some of the big tree GH guys on their experience either contemplating doing this or have seen it done before. The cost might out-way the benefit but an idea nonetheless. Hope the trim is trimming away for folks out there.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Trim trim trim, rinse and repeat. Yes at least according to Clarke's previous research, individuals receiving 12 hours of light produce nearly twice the THC than those receiving 10 or less,, if memory serves, without regard to the intensity of light. I's say that when we're speaking of vastly varying genotypes, that intensity plays a large roll. Light hogs will do much better with more light, intensity X duration.

picture.php

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
lol that pic looks like my spot too right down to the double captain chair seats and the 18 gal rubbermaids, but i bought a bunch of purple 45 gallons because they fit the longer top cola stalks better. i like those custom drying racks in the back too...always wanted to deck out a whole room with shelves and everything like moonshine mans warehouse had...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts