What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnG

Awesome thread. My friend has been trying to grow large plants in south Texas but with little success. Any strain suggestions for large plants that will do well in 100 degree heat for two or three months during the summer?

V

Veg N Out

Tried to get gone but they wouldn't let me go...

Tried to get gone but they wouldn't let me go...

So I'll just throw my hat back in to the ring...

Started my clones rooting on 4/20..Everything was under T5s by May 1, In to my Green house May 13 , in to the ground by June 13...Here they are on August 15....

Cultural method is 100% Certified Organic , WSDA, NOP, OMRI .... No Guano No Manure No Liquid Fertilizers No Top Dressings...Only used obnoxious supplemental lighting during the period they were in the Green house :)

Stakes are 8' , Concrete Re-Mesh is 7'...

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Canni-do nice job, good points, way to own your grow.

The old stock plants suck because they are not on a "growing" seasonal timeline. ONce the plants go dormant from not generating enough new root materials there is something that happens within the vascular system which essentials slows the growth potential. The plant learns to grow slowly because it isn't given space to expand and so the addition of new cells stops. ONce the growing engine has been slowed, there are some inbred varieties which lack natural vigor and don't recalibrate very well. Also the conditions outdoors is not the same as the conditions indoors and if you have lots of old growth without mANY healthy shoots you are going to have a runt.

My wwxBB and WW stock plants are shocked from the transition, while the more vigorous growing skunk types that are not too inbred made better rebounds. I think it has to do with how many time the terminal node has been removed and if the plant can get new fan leaves/leaders to the top of the plant triggering a second explosion of roots.

Also it really depends on the variety again I can sense on whether an old clone will do better then a new clone.

It is the searching new roots which find their way into new places in the soil and then create a strong network that can provide the liquids and nutrients to the top of the plant. If your plant has never been root bound pruning this plant before putting it outside if fine, especially if the roots have freedom and the plant has time to create apex branches at the top of the plant.... before being placed into the outdoors. You are experiencing transplant shock at the same time the plant is needing to regenerate itself.

old orchard wisdom says that maintaining the lead shoot that expands upwards is essential for vigorous growth... so if you have no leaders on a mother to speak of the plant will miss the vernal clues of the season that it must begin to make shoots to catch male pollen. If your plant is stalled in the ground and does not ramp up production quickly once it is the ground it will only be puttering along with a back up engine instead of riding the fan leaves up and outward before it starts its slow reproductive death.

if the plant is shocked for too long it won't achieve rapid growth, and thats the problem... even though there were many shoot the shoots were all stunted and the plant remains in the same shape essentially... plants need to follow the season or else their internal chemistry will not use the sun power to increase energy.

Id say what you are using are some more liked single moms who have a kid but still get laid quickly since they are young...nobody at the club knows about the kids

Whoa Skull, pard...If you say so! LOL In my case, I am merely pruning and then rooting the bottom branches (apprx 4) that would otherwise end up bein pruned away later. No sense throwing them away IMO. I doubt whether pruning a few lower branches would throw the plant into all you describe and IMO, doesnt make the plant an "old mother". At least my experience says it doesnt. Perhaps the phrase "old mother" or "old stock" needs to be defined more in depth to help better understand at what point, planting a mother plant might not be advantageous? As for me, I just take a few cuts or 'prunings" and the original plant does fine. Indicas and Sativas alike.

We do what works for each of us. Just so everyone knows, the fact that I dont necessarily agree or question an approach or a method or theory doesnt mean I'm right and my way is the only way and everything else is wrong. There's enough of that egotistical driven thinkin around here as it is. LOL Simply one mans opinion based on personal experience and expressed on a forum filled with many other opinions. Appreciate your input brother...Nuff said CC

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
ONe good point deserves another me brother

I found your comments smart and solid, so mush so that my brain kicked over and dug up some old membered ideas...

I had to comment, because in the nursery business a stock plant is thrown away when its line has been discontinued. When we planted the "owners gardens" to display the goods we'd use clones that had been transplanted twice after being cuts, and had gotten as big as they could in 1 quart containers....

I've honestly worked at Orchards, Vineyard, and in ah commercial wholesale greenhouse, as well as sold fertilizer and pesticides so I have to say my personal experience is supplemented by 4-5 "masters" life experiences ie the people who own farms. ((yes thats a spoiled farm hand))

Peace to the trees in the east and the best in the west

smoooth

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345494614.625165.jpg

Zdub7k

awesome grows everybody....looks like the wealth of information here is being put to good use....and that is just awesome...I feel pretty confident saying I represent some of the best in the mid-west and you cali boys are making me feel tiny...you have a few years experience on me growing the whoppers....I admire all yall's work and passion....gives me something to strive for...keep it up...oh yea...and GO BLUE!!

HorseMouth

Finished harvesting this morning.

Got the front row yesterday, then got the back 2 today.
Worked around the hortinova, so I can use it next year.

This is a Conniseur Genetics 'Fuel'. It was squeezed between 2 Blue Dreams. Pure Head Stash with this little gal. The Fuel was a disappointment last year, this is a self seed that popped up on her own in April. I left her in, and here she is.

I sat thru an 8 hour Farm auction on Saturday and the last thing auctioned was a 20' x 24' x 12' low profile quanset greenhouse. Found almost every part, Even the box of hardware and got it for $100. Brand New,untouched, still pinching myself.
Here's a shot of some parts. Wiggle Wire, purlines, side posts, etc.
Regardless to say, I'm beyond elated. I'll start clearing the ground in the next few weeks.

I'll avg. an elbow a plant on these not counting the Fuel no problem.

My Tarp is a 'Hay Covering Tarp' that I buy at my local Big R store. It was some breathability to it. I forgot who asked me. I live in an AG area of Oregon, It is fantastic. Also, I water in the morning, Foliar feed in the morning, and try not to put water into the Black Box in the afternoon, and I have no problem with humidity or condensation.

Peace

B

bajangreen

i sure am glad i found this tread all the plants are nice in hear i already applied alot of this learning to this years grow and am doing way better than before.

What do you do to a old mum to make her grow better, or is she stunted forever?

B

bajangreen

One more question, I hear all this talk about august stretch and uping the fertilizer we give these plants. How is this done? do we up the dosage or frequency of our nutes?

Zdub7k

are any of you fellow tree growers using actinovate or a similar product for a fungus prevention? how do you guys deal with that issue? Ive defoliated for better air circulation and bought some actinovate as a preventative measure...any other good ideas?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
One more question, I hear all this talk about august stretch and uping the fertilizer we give these plants. How is this done? do we up the dosage or frequency of our nutes?

You should be fertilizing almost every watering via top dress, teas, foliar and liquid nutes. For the August stretch, you want to up the amount per watering, just as you should be all season when growing large plants. If you are reading off the label, then you are underfeeding large plants. Hope this helps.

are any of you fellow tree growers using actinovate or a similar product for a fungus prevention? how do you guys deal with that issue? Ive defoliated for better air circulation and bought some actinovate as a preventative measure...any other good ideas?

Would love to know the answer to this question as well. Here in the bay area every night from here on out will be 50% humidity and above. Most nights are 75% and up, dam coastal fog!

mapinguari

Veteran
zdub and OB, milk diluted 10:1 is excellent at preventing and controlling PM. Nonfat seems to be best, being thinner. You can even use powdered milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts