What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Veg N Out

I don't know what a 215 mix is..I never used one of those before. I just have been evolving my understanding of organic growing and this year is the culmination of all the year before..The big mound is the way to go. What I'm doing isn't what every one else could do just because of my specific situation....but trust me...the biggest pile you can make the better you're going to be...Native soil is bad ass...especially when it has a pile of microbiology sitting on top of it and compost tea leaching down in to it..The root will follow the path of the water and drive right in to it and spread out more laterally as they hit the edge of the mound and chase the water running down it... Bless it up for MAMA EARTH!!!

OrganicBuds

Veteran
My mounds this year are 3 feet wide, by 25 feet long and 18 inches high for 12 plants.

picture.php

G

guest8905

nice organicbuds, glad to see you back on the boards posting

thanks for sharing

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Hey Veg & Org Buds...Thanks for the info...Hey Org, your 3 combined rows looks like what, 6 yards give or take? Would be interested in knowing the soil amount vs the 12 plants. Clean set up dude...CC

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
I don't know what a 215 mix is..I never used one of those before. I just have been evolving my understanding of organic growing and this year is the culmination of all the year before..The big mound is the way to go. What I'm doing isn't what every one else could do just because of my specific situation....but trust me...the biggest pile you can make the better you're going to be...Native soil is bad ass...especially when it has a pile of microbiology sitting on top of it and compost tea leaching down in to it..The root will follow the path of the water and drive right in to it and spread out more laterally as they hit the edge of the mound and chase the water running down it... Bless it up for MAMA EARTH!!!

Hey Veg, in my neck of the woods quite a few of the landscape companies have plugged into the medicinal marijuana growing "craze" and developed their own special MJ soil mixes. Prop 215 is our state medical marijuana guidelines so most folks just call a MJ designed soil mix a "215' mix. Most landscape yards/nurseries dont have a clue the soil requirements for MJ but it doesnt stop them from tryin to cut their slice from the big green hog. LOL The Worm Farm, a small company who started out years back raising & selling worms, have been sellin one of the best mixes around. 'Bout $90.00 a yard. Bastards! LOL Their "215" mix is pretty much the standard in MJ grow soil and good shit but the price per yard is hiway robbery, IMO.

Their description- An ideal soil mix for rapid root developement and growth. This highly aeriated mix contains worm castings from The Worm Farm, coconut coir, compost, perlite, calphos powder, azomite rock powder, glacial rock dust, and green sand. CC

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^haha holy shit i thought that was someones garden at first lol..

i wish i could do mounds but got problems with the angle of our gardens slope, lack of proper earth movers, and i already got 50 empty smartpots...

pending a successful harvest, investments can be made in terracing and the right equipment, or finding a new property that is flat and easier to dig up..

id imagine in order to dig up the rootballs you would need a bulldozer...unless you just leave them in the ground and decay over the off-season..

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Hey Veg & Org Buds...Thanks for the info...Hey Org, your 3 combined rows looks like what, 6 yards give or take? Would be interested in knowing the soil amount vs the 12 plants. Clean set up dude...CC

I brought in 6 new yards of soil and mixed with existing soil. I would imagine about a 70 new to 30% old soil mix. So maybe 10 yards total.

id imagine in order to dig up the rootballs you would need a bulldozer...unless you just leave them in the ground and decay over the off-season..

I would imagine you would want to implement a no till, organic method to large mound growing. That would involve leaving the roots as is and letting the microbes turn that into food for next season.

G

guest8905

imho the worm place in duram sucks., Their product was delivered one year with bits of plastic throughout the mix and it just didnt seem too great, but the place near the dump off the 99 has the real good stuff imo

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
they had shitty customer service too...went there last year to inquire about soil and they werent helpful at all, rude attitudes...told us a highball price so we kept it moving over to Amazon garden supply...

i have to go with bagged soil..cant do it any other way due to the layout of my property..... debating about giving roots organics another shot this year because the price is alright...

Stank J.P.

Hi everyone! Best thread on the web I've seen and wanted to be a part of it.
Questions for anyone with answers.
About The foliar spray Tom talks about on page 2 the Brix mix has been discontinued.
Would I be ok to just spray calcium25 and possibly greencure to prevent the mold? There are also a few different Calcium25 products. There is one for apple trees one for vegetables and one more. I was assuming the vegetable one is the right choice but the stuff is a little pricey and just want to make sure I get the right one.
Thanks in advance and have swell times.

TheSilverMullet

Veteran
I've been playing around with a foliar spray to alternate with Calcium25 and while I'm sure it's not perfect yet the plants like it and I've not had any negative effects at these levels. Any suggested additions are welcome.

1 gallon water
2 tbsp. Earth Juice Catalyst
1 tbsp. soluble kelp powder
1 tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. Earth Juice Grow
1 tsp. Cocoa Wet
1 tsp. 35% H2o2

I ph the mix to 6.2-6.5 before adding the cocoa wet and h2o2.

Stank J.P.

Thanks for the quick response. This mix has prevented pm and botrytis for you? and you use this in conjunction with the calcium25? Sauce em.

imho the worm place in duram sucks., Their product was delivered one year with bits of plastic throughout the mix and it just didnt seem too great, but the place near the dump off the 99 has the real good stuff imo

I second both of these claims... a few seasons back I heard a bunch of horror stories from folks using the duram worm farm soil mix and getting Alternaria and other soilborne diseases.

My neighbors used compost from the dump a couple of years back... nice, but definitely needed amending to get properly dialed in.

Prop - any reason you go to amazon over advanced?

On another note... Mullet, that foliar recipe is looking pretty concentrated. Have you tried it at other dilution rates?

G

guest8905

I second both of these claims... a few seasons back I heard a bunch of horror stories from folks using the duram worm farm soil mix and getting Alternaria and other soilborne diseases.

My neighbors used compost from the dump a couple of years back... nice, but definitely needed amending to get properly dialed in.

Prop - any reason you go to amazon over advanced?

On another note... Mullet, that foliar recipe is looking pretty concentrated. Have you tried it at other dilution rates?

i was talking about not the dump but the earthworm place off that same road. :dance013:

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran

LOL Sticks...Ive heard the other place off 99 (Neal Rd) was a place to avoid. Go figure. Never had problems with the Worm Farm but only bought soil there once. There bat guano is spendy, i remember that. That said, all the local prop 215 soil makers and the wannabes are a f'n rip off, if ya ask me...The newest soil boys on the block is Sanctuary Soil. Their 215 mix sound "pretty" but damn...$120 a yard? Phffft! Also, theres another place that has caught my eye - Kinney Landscaping & Topsoil who carries a good sounding 215 mix. About $60.00 a yard. Anyone been there? They are located on 99 just North of the Woodsen Bridge cut-off...CC

luckygrower

Hey there, i was looking for some more insight on the mound concept. I am trying some 1+ yard mounds. My soil is literally sitting on top of my nearly all-rock building pad somewhere int he ballpark of 18 in high x a few feet wide. My buddy who swears by this method puts rice straw on top of his mounds so he can still handwater and not weather away his soil. However i am on top of a hill with quite a bit of wind that would blow away the rice straw. I was thinking about staking down a layer of hortanova over the rice straw and the mound so as to prevent erosion. Is this any different than using my burlap-wrapped smartpots? Should i even bother if i dont want to drip irrigate?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
When planting, make a moat around your plant base so you wont have run off. I do this for all my plants, including veggies. Build up your outside edge so you can fill this moat with a good amount of water without over flowing. I even like to make my moat WAY bigger than needed at first, that way when the plant is bigger it can spread its roots more.

Then add mulch like your buddy's straw mulch.

growbig789

My vegetables are growing great in raised beds with the "Barnyard Plus" mix from Kinney's... They got all kinds of organic ammendments and all the pricy fertilizers too, kinda feels like you are in a hydro shop when you go in the metal building to pay for your dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts