What's new

The GrindHouse Outdoors 2008

Ickis

Veteran
Hey steele I don't know if you noticed the Prophet update in post #13. They are even bigger now.

Here is an update on the Blue Sonja seed plot. I might have 2 males out of 8. Might! These thing are being stubborn revealing. There are 6 females and a possible 2 males (left front). I finally clipped them some. They have lots of side branches forming but they are short. The trim will help. I think trimming seems to slow down the reveal. Those are my last 2 hopes at males. Everything else was female.

I had to knock back a wall of weeds that was doing some light blocking. I gave them some more fertilizer. They have been getting a decent amount of rain. The tallest ones are around 5ft tall. The 2 hopeful males are only 3 feet tall or a bit more. So maybe they will still be female. But I remain hopeful because they have no branching and just look like males.

In about 2 weeks they should start the flowering process.

Ickis

Veteran
I went and put some 15-30-15 on the Prophet moms A and B. I didn't take my camera because it was raining pretty hard off and on and I wanted to get some actual work done and not fuck with the camera. I'm going back in a few days to get some pics because people have to see these. They are freakin huge. One is 7 feet and one is an easy eight. They have started some mild flowering so they have started and will probably stretch some more. They are getting great light and have nice short internodal spacing. They are just getting huge.

They are really big around too with a tremendous amount of branching. I'm just gonna put it out there...these could be 5 pounders. If the buds are as dense as I expect and has been mentioned these are going to be trophy plants. I am going to stake them soon. I'm not messing with these. I'm not going to let these snap. No way!

Pics in a couple days. I will pop in on some SourBubbles too.

Ickis

Veteran
Today I hit the SourBubble plants with 15-30-15. They aren't very tall but they are all nice and bushy. The seed moms are about 3 feet tall and all the clones are just a little over 2 feet tall some 2.5 feet. The leaves are large and wide and a very healthy looking green color.

I have a friend who has played around some with BOG gear. He had SB seeds from BOG himself. He said that SB only ever gets around 3 feet tall even outside if it is in proper light. These are all in more than ample light conditions. The internodal spacing is very tight. These were all started and vegged in the beginning under T5's. And if you don't know it IMHO T5s give the best and tightest internode starts to seedlings and clones. You have to use them in open spaces or have good ventilation because the fixture not the bulbs do put out some heat.

The one I took pictures of is in a bag of Miracle Grow organic garden soil. The bag is just laying on the ground with some holes poked in the bottom side and a big X cut in the top for the plant to grow out of. Interestingly the ones in the bags are some of the taller plants. This new bag method I am trying this year in a few spots is working out really well. I used them in spots that were so secluded and got great sun but the digging was all rocks and difficult. These bags solved that. The only work was carrying them to the sites. They haven't had to be watered at all. The rain has been good and the bag holds in the moisture during sunny hot periods. This method has to be better than pots that dry out and need attention often. They wouldn't be better if you had to move them around though. But for no digging and low maintenance they work great.

I have some other strains in bags too. Several of which are 6 feet tall and quite bushy. Most of my bag plants are around 4 feet though. Still a potential decent harvest for just throwing a bag of dirt on the ground and sticking in a plant. Now I did cage most of mine though. I have garden sticks holding the cage and sticking throught the bags and into the earth some. I'm hoping this prevents tip over. That is my last hurdle with this experiment. I did put the bags in sunny spots that have some windbreak because I was worried about this in the beginning. I think the bags, depending on size, weigh 50 and 90 pounds or 40 and 80..whatever.

Here is a good example of the SB I have. Like I said you seen one you seen them all because mine all look very uniform. I only started with 4 seeds and had 3 females though and just cloned the females. All the seed moms look like identical triplets.

Last edited:
G

guest3854

Yeah baby , tha prophet get's HUGE and goes fer about 75 - 80 days . I know , I know , it's a bit of a wait but damn , they have an old school funk and serious med value . Really can't wait to see 'em bloomed out in all their glory ....

Be well an' stay safe ,
Steele

G

Guest 16149

Nice looking plants Ickis :) Got a nice garden going there, have not smoked the Sour Bubble yet, but the Blue Sonja is tasty and you will love the Prophet (I did).

Ickis

Veteran
Hello chubbynugs! Thanks for the props guy. I like having this GrindHouse gear.

Blanner I was hoping you would find this thread. I just need a couple people popping in to keep me going. So the Prophet was a nice potent smoke? Which one did you keep reaching for first...Blue Sonja or Prophet?

Steel 70-80 isn't that long outside. It's different than indoors. You know when you plant in spring that it is going to be 100 to 120 days before you harvest anything. Even a 60 day strain is taking until Oct 1st so waiting until Oct 15 to 20 doesn't matter. I can start on the earlier stuff first.

I only care that the strains I plant finish in good shape in October. 70-80 days is just fine.

Ickis

Veteran
I couldn't stop at the Prophet site I want to take pictures of. There were people in the area doing something. I think it was guys surveying for natural gas wells or something. I will get there eventually.

I had extra time so I went to 15-30-15 the Blue Sonja seed plot. When I got there they had shot up quite a bit since I was there 18 days ago. Last visit they hadn't all revealed. Today they all were flowering. There were 5 females and 2 males. The males were both about 6 feet tall. They had a nice amount of big balls. There are 2 females pushing 7 feet now. There are 2 between 5 and 6 feet and there was one a little over 4 feet.

Even though we have been getting rain I think this spot has somehow been missing most of it. They are not dry and look nice they just aren't getting enough water to really get big. Last time I put a disolvable fert pack under each one. They were all still there in the packs. Those packs disolve quick too. They will disolve in a sweaty hand. So I was shocked to see them. I removed them and put down the flowering ferts and then got water from the stream and gave them all a big drink of about 10 gallons each.

I also decided not to do a seed run so I removed the males. Now it's a 5 plant Blue Sonja sensimillia patch. I have been reading some threads and talking with some other people and I don't know if I feel right about making a bunch of seeds from Steele's work. I have more seeds I can always do a run if ever needed for the cause.

These are some various shots from the Blue Sonja patch. I think the newspaper mulch has really kept these plants from drying out. The soil was damp under the paper.

There isn't any insect damage to speak of and all the leaves are very lush and a healthy green color.

G

Guest 16149

Hey Ickis,
Nice work on the outdoor plants. For me it was the Prophet that I reached for first :)
But each person has their own taste :)

G

guest3854

Ickis , in another thread you asked if yer Sour B looked like you had gotten a DMT pheno , looking at tha pics provided , it's really hard to tell , look for twisted leaf patterns and funky chemical dank , shit'll send shivers up yer spine ..... wheeeh ! Tha Sonja you have pics of are BEAUTIFUL and quite close to tha keeper pheno , complete with a nice internode length , maroon stems and phat "saw blade" like leaves ! I must say , I hope tha rain stops in yer location when they start picking up weight , I would hate to see them wasted to PM ....

Be well Ickis and thanks fer sharing ,
Steele

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your doing an great job there Ickis, a real labor of love , specially the effort you have gone to in the corn fields with the layout of your plants... should be a good yield, I just hope you don't receive any late rains.
I take my hat off to you. :D

Ickis

Veteran
Thanks smurf I really got into the outdoor grows this year. I had accumulated some nice genetics to play with and went for broke.

Thanks for stopping in Steele. I am trying to make you proud and end up with some killer smoke.

Last edited:

Ickis

Veteran
1 prophet plant = 5 lbs of buddage

1 prophet plant = 5 lbs of buddage

Well lets see if that title brings in any new lookers because this has been a slow thread. The outdoor threads usually pic up near the end though. I will be waiting for the stampede of onlookers when the news hits the grapevine that ickis has a mess of prophet plants that will ALL be hitting 3 lbs and some might make 5. :jump:

These suckers are massive. The tallest one...it is the giant beanstalk looking one is 12 feet tall but only as wide as an office desk now. It was as wide as a car but a deer or something snapped off the other main stem at the base back in July. The others are almost as tall and they are as wide as a VW bug at the top. I can't even get far enough back to get any of them in a full pic. The beanstalker was the most visable because when the deer broke it they ripped hell out of the surrounding corn.

It's just not their size. It is the way the buds are covering the entire stem length and how dense the buds themselves are now and how much more I expect them to get.

I have a crappy camera and I took the frost pic. But let me say they are even frostier looking. They are way sticky too.

There is gonna be plenty of Prophet buds for a long, long time.

Last edited:
G

guest3854

Ickis , lookin' super healthy dude . Sounds like yer gonna need a trimmin' crew over there , lol . My experience with these is a Bubba dom taste ans aroma with tha Sonja uplifting high . Some of tha phenos produce a more sativa architecture , while others form rock hard Bubba nugs . I would imagine yer gonna need to start staking those girls here pretty soon , as you were sayin' mad production . Expect colas as large as a leg at finish ....
Be sure to post this in tha Outdoor section too fer folks .... Can't say I get over there very often but I'm sure plenty o' folks would be interested ....

Doin' a killer job with I ,
Steele

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
recently, Ive become more and more impressed with how good some folks are growin in corn feilds.. I never had much luck.

Great work, nice happy plant!

Peace, bub.

billb

Veteran
me neither, here the corn is cut down by the farmers around the end of august. so definetly not enough time for most strains

Ickis

Veteran
Thanks guys. I actually do most of my grows along streams and meadows on State Forrest and State Game Lands. I just can't go there very often to document a grow. So I do threads on my corn grows. You can be in the corn on a lounge chair smoking a bowl and nobody knows your in there. It's a crap shoot though. Always is a chance they can take it all early during dry years or make a few early silage cuts where you have some beauties.

dark hollow the corn around here is 11 feet tall and some the tassels are even taller. It's the tallest corn I ever saw. It's usally 8 or 9 feet. Many places around here are going to have record corn years. Up until about 3 weeks ago we had a perfect grow season. Nice rain showers with sun the same day almost every other day. It was like corn and pot eutopia.

I had one spot in the corn that I put some UK Cheese and it didn't outgrow the corn. It was so dark in under the corn it flowered and was mature 3 weeks ago. It was a nice suprise but I would rather have had it 10 feet tall instead of 3 feet. But that is just to show how big the corn got. That corn in that field is 13 feet high. The MSS did keep up though and they are monsters too.

When I commit to a grow thread, like this one I did for steele, I always want to finish them. Sometimes they get long and you do have to visit stuff more often and then you sometimes do them for only a few people during the grow that actually watch.

I do a lot of seed buying and I'm a lot like zoolander only...don't faint...I probably buy more seeds than he does and I do my thing outdoors mostly. But like him I ain't afraid to spend some big money and then actually soak them seeds and let them grow.

That's what I love about zoo. He won't just look at them he grows them.

I really got interested in a lot of private breeder stuff this year. I got some Hip Cat stuff outside and I have some head Seeds and Kryptonite gear. Most of the stuff I have garnered is the result of being the high bidder so these strains are dear to me in many ways. But I am to grow them no matter what.

I have some pics in a G13/SD thread by JJscorpio and some in a Hip Cat thread. I will be giving honest smoke and grow reports of everything. They all have some sweet plants. I just really like the GrindHouse stuff because well it was cool. Steele Savage and GrindHouse are cool names and I like comic books and movies. LOL! You always have a favorite based on weird things. In the end my favs will be based on the smoke though. But none of them are going to fail.

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ickis said:
I really got interested in a lot of private breeder stuff this year. I got some Hip Cat stuff outside and I have some head Seeds and Kryptonite gear. Most of the stuff I have garnered is the result of being the high bidder so these strains are dear to me in many ways. But I am to grow them no matter what.

I have some pics in a G13/SD thread by JJscorpio and some in a Hip Cat thread. I will be giving honest smoke and grow reports of everything. They all have some sweet plants. I just really like the GrindHouse stuff because well it was cool. Steele Savage and GrindHouse are cool names and I like comic books and movies. LOL! You always have a favorite based on weird things. In the end my favs will be based on the smoke though. But none of them are going to fail.

Amen, much power to GrindHouse and KryptoniteCrew!

G

Guest 16149

Ickis,
Damn I missed your update, looking good guy :) I loved the Prophet, great smoke, but I am amazed to see how they kick ass outdoors, way to go :)