What's new

The Farmhouse

Im here. This last run was the hardest most difficult problematic run ever. I had slime issues, root rot and clogs, bad sensors and temp issues. I dont know wtf happend but ive never had so many issues. I dont know why GH and sm-90 would give me such a headache?

This was the first run with the GH/sm-90 sterile res, and it sucked balls!

I just loaded up the next batch thank god and i went back to my Botanicare with benes!

Mister_D

Veteran
Think you answered your own question there bro. I'd venture to guess you had some organic bits in the system left over from using botanicare. Without a good colony of bene's to hold the bad bacteria at bay, rot was soon to follow. I'm a firm believer in adding bene's to organic as well as chem/mineral based grows. Never going to beat me and bob if ya don't get back on the horse and share some updates ;)

Good one brother D. Im gonna mount up and take hold of the rains. The summer heat is gone now and im about to jump the starting gun. Ive got Bobbles USD on deck and after this next run, im swinging for the fences!

G

GMax

Im here. This last run was the hardest most difficult problematic run ever. I had slime issues, root rot and clogs, bad sensors and temp issues. I dont know wtf happend but ive never had so many issues. I dont know why GH and sm-90 would give me such a headache?

This was the first run with the GH/sm-90 sterile res, and it sucked balls!

I just loaded up the next batch thank god and i went back to my Botanicare with benes!

was wondering where you been bro.. sorry to hear about all the issues sounds like a growers nightmare..and whats with the slime, does anyone know what is it yet ?? is it the slime that clogs your sprayer??

I am interested to see your results with botanicare since you also run aero.. i have been using GH for as long as i can remember with decent results.... but using it mostly because it is easy chem nutes to keep probs away ..you say you have already had great results with botanicare??? how much you add per gal and stuff ??

catalyte

Veteran
damn, sorry to hear about the probs in this run! i would go back to what you were doing before, maybe add beneficials to your feeding program to keep away bad bacteria... works for me...

bobblehead

Veteran
best of luck on the next grow! Sorry to hear about the slime. Gurnt said it might be yeast which is a seasonal problem for him. My pH dropped for several weeks and normally I don't have to adjust pH at all. Yeast produce acid. Yeast grows in the dark. It just sounds logical...

D

DHF

Bro......Sorry to hear bout yer probs , but trust me......The GH and SM-90 didn`t do all that.....

Dialed results come from what you`re used to runnin , and if Botanicare`s done well for yas , I`m not sure why you ever changed......

I dialed GH and SM-90 20 yrs ago with krusty buckets and all the way through ebb and flow buckets till I ended up in coco dtw without a hitch...ever.....but.....

Aero and fast hydro setups are picky bitches and anything can happen on a daily basis with exposed rootzones and environment not completely dialed....again....

Stick with whatchas know in such a sensitive setup my buddy.....and.....sorry for shit suckin balls Bro......I feel partly responsible.....

Peace....Freds....:ying:......

Yo DHF, I still harvested 3 lbs of primo bud from the run. And believe me.. you had alot to do with that! :tiphat:

There was alot of new things happening in that run, that made it a very stressful grow... mini split AC, co2, new nutrients, and a new strain (lvpk) . Not to mention my peculiar sensors. The plants just looked really weathered and stressed and the whole time i couldnt figure out why.

I think i was a little quick to blame the GH/ and sm90. But, I still dont know exactly what happend. Maybe it has something to do with the roots so exposed and higher temps with the c02 and not using the benes to help keep it all in check, etc..etc..etc

Dont ever feel responsible for anything, i wouldnt be where i am without the help from you! and others as well.

BldSwtTrs

Hey farmhouse cat, coming from somebody who has ran LOTS and LOTS of what DHF calls "fast hydro setups" I can say that the GH and SM-90 probably warn't the cause of your situation, but most likely excellerated it.

What I mean is in the fast hydro setups if there is any small root problem that isn't caught immediately it will snowball pretty quickly and move past the point of no return in a second.

Have had lots of runs where the cuts/roots might have had a small problem and then when they were transplanted to the flowering system the problem just blew up. I would imagine you had a small problem with your clones/cuts that wasn't caught in time and then by the time you started with the SM-90 it was too late.

The only product I have used that actually contained a problem is called Hydro-Fungicide now named Down-Under. I 100% recommend this stuff for anybody running aero/pure hydro. I have not had a single root problem since starting using it and my general root health is MUCH better.

There are lots of success stories with people using Hydro-Fungicide so if you continue to run the fast hydro setups you might want to check it out.

SecondAttempt

I love SM-90... that being said I've been finding slime in my res using it, cut out the SM-90, no slime, but now I'm seeing fungus gnats on my traps. I have pond enzymes en route, I'm going to add the SM-90 back in... if (when) it slimes I will hit the res with zymes. Fun experiment, I'll report back in a week or so.

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
I get the slime as well, but am using a 400(ish)gph pump to get the water from the 30 gal brute to my elevated 5 gal Rez for my blumat setup. There is no issue for me regarding the slime; whenever I do a reservoir change i clean the pump and pull the filter out and scrub in a bucket of physan cleaning solution.

It seems as long as you have a recirculating system with the pump always on and an overflow on the raised rez then the slime stays in the filter. I have found no negatives from the slime; the benefits from the SM-90 far outway any worry caused from knowing the slime is there.

rbdf

D

DHF

I get the slime as well, but am using a 400(ish)gph pump to get the water from the 30 gal brute to my elevated 5 gal Rez for my blumat setup. There is no issue for me regarding the slime; whenever I do a reservoir change i clean the pump and pull the filter out and scrub in a bucket of physan cleaning solution.

It seems as long as you have a recirculating system with the pump always on and an overflow on the raised rez then the slime stays in the filter. I have found no negatives from the slime; the benefits from the SM-90 far outway any worry caused from knowing the slime is there.

rbdf
Till the day I shut down , I NEVER had slime in my big ass rez`s for right at 20 yrs of croppin and runnin 325 gal pest control tanks with 5ml per gal of SM-90 in every rez change religiously....

What`s that tell me ?..........From all due indications Nutrilife has changed it`s formula as far as the coriander oil and what they`re using for the rest of the "inert ingredients" to get the proper dilution.....

That`s all it can be cuz I assure all here that if this OCD old ass had ever seen 1 drop of slime in my rez`s , they`d been disassembled and steam cleaned till I was satisfied with the sterility....and....

Pond zymes are your friend with many applications.....Usedta soak my smartpots with the whole rootmass till shit was completely eaten and dissolved , and then dry the coco chunks mix out and add it for the next rotations....

Fuckin Hydro manufacturers....Always lookin fer ways to cut cost and increase profits...

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
This seems an appropriate place to ask this, rather than start a new thread, or try to find the answer stoned on some of Mega's outdoor GSC...
Pond enzymes, and their use. I picked up a $10 bottle at Home Depot, but am unclear on the dilution rates, application frequency, etc...
I asked about reusing my coco at the local hydro store, and sure enough the guy said absolutely, no way... Something about stored salts, blah blah blah, when mentioned I used Drip-Clean, his eyes glazed over, and said "I suppose that will work"...
I am thinking that using it throughout the cycle would be worth it for 10 bucks. I know they hydro whore shops love to sell you Hygrozyme at 35 bucks a fucking quart...

D

DHF

This seems an appropriate place to ask this, rather than start a new thread, or try to find the answer stoned on some of Mega's outdoor GSC...
Pond enzymes, and their use. I picked up a $10 bottle at Home Depot, but am unclear on the dilution rates, application frequency, etc...
I asked about reusing my coco at the local hydro store, and sure enough the guy said absolutely, no way... Something about stored salts, blah blah blah, when mentioned I used Drip-Clean, his eyes glazed over, and said "I suppose that will work"...
I am thinking that using it throughout the cycle would be worth it for 10 bucks. I know they hydro whore shops love to sell you Hygrozyme at 35 bucks a fucking quart...
Bio-barley at HD or Lowes is your friend Bro......

Had rubbermaid cattle troughs full of pond zymes at recommended strengths as noted above and threw smartpots ,rootballs and all in for a good couple 3-4 weeks at a time to get rid of residual salts and fibrous rootmass and yas could pull the mainstem out with all but nuthin on em once all decayed matter had been decomposed......... anyways.....then.....

Pulled everything out and put it on screens to dry out and be remixed for the next runs......

Many waysta skin a mule.....DHF.....:ying:......

Jamorg13

What about using barley enzymes to re-use ss#4? I have yet to make the switch over to coco simply because i cannot water every single day, But i would really like to switch over.

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
so......................

i just bought a new liter of Sm-90, and it is without doubt NOT the same product. the old bottle I had would be murky when shaken, and this new product is clear as can be, and the smell is much more pungent, almost foul. the old formula was pleasant to my nose.

rbdf