What's new

The Emerald Triangle Could Be In Grave Danger....

Lex Dysic

I'm not an alarmist by nature...but what I see happening in Japan should be very concerning to anyone living NoCal and SoOregon.

There are 4 reactors and 7 fuel storage pools directly across the Pacific that don't seem to be anywhere near control.

Why the FUCK entombment is not happening now is completely beyond me. Until done this mess will be releasing a lot of radiation.....some of which will eventually find its way to the Triangle. Look at what happened from Chernobyl....the effects last generations....I would say this could effectively kill whatever local dairy industry there is in these areas....and I'm thinking that folks might have a real hard time buying/smoking herb grown in a rad zone....

The toll on Japan is going be beyond calculation. Tokyo region of 36MM people some 100miles downwind....so please....I'm not trying to trivialize this disaster in any way....I'm just think the danger to the Triangle region from this is real and should be considered.

Now #4 is melting down.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

G

guest8905

i think most of the radiation gets disperessed over the Pacific...but i really dont know. Will be interesting to see what happens. I hope all is well for Japans people soon

OMMPatient

Not in any sort of danger at all.

The radioactivity is very local (12 mile radius) and diffuses very, very quickly once you get a way from the site of emission. The west coast is thousands of miles away from the prevailing winds of Japan. By the time any radioactivity reaches us soil it will be insignificant.

Don't let the media spook you and don't run out and buy potassium iodine pills. People in Japan need them more than we do.

My prayers are with these unfortunate people.

dickcorn

Heres a question if it dissapates where does it dissapate to? What if it does melt down? Jet streams head right this direction.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I read this yesterday

For those of you on the west coast who will be watching the jet stream regardless of the assurances that it would take a major nuclear explosion to affect the US, this assessment from Weather Underground may set your mind at ease:

I've been performing a number of runs of HYSPLIT over past few days, and so far great majority of these runs have taken plumes of radioactivity emitted from Japan's east coast eastwards over the Pacific, with the plumes staying over water for at least 5 days. Some of the plumes move over eastern Siberia, Alaska, Canada, the U.S., and Mexico in 5 - 7 days. Such a long time spent over water will mean that the vast majority of the radioactive particles will settle out of the atmosphere or get caught up in precipitation and rained out. It is highly unlikely that any radiation capable of causing harm to people will be left in atmosphere after seven days and 2000+ miles of travel distance. Even the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, which had a far more serious release of radioactivity, was unable to spread significant contamination more than about 1000 miles.

here's a link to Jeff Master's webpage

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1763

Actually the biggest threat to the northwest coast is another tsunami. From northern California up to Alaska lies an offshore subduction zone (one tectonic plate going under another) which is capable of generating an earthquake and tsunami just as large as the one which devastated Japan.

OMMPatient

It will dissipate into the immediate environment. The radiation will never make it into the jet stream which starts at about 3500 feet. The releases you saw on television were only 150 feet high at the most. Tune into the weather channel for more info.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The blast debris might only go 150 feet. But that's not the indicator of radiation altitude. Hydrogen gas forming from the haphazard cooling process causes the explosions. Hydrogen is lighter than air. The force of the explosion isn't the only factor. Winds may lift radioactive particles into the jet steam.

I watched a nuclear physicist describe some of this stuff on MSNBC. Sorry don't have a link, can't even remember his name.

According to this nuclear physicist, here's your game plan if and when you're concerned about fallout. If over land, fallout contaminates grasses. Cattle feed on these grasses and radioactivity contaminates their milk. That's how it gets in the food chain.

So the interviewer cautiously inquires, "Don't drink the milk?"

The physicist said, "Yes, that's our method to avoid contamination. Don't drink the milk."

In other words, there's not much else we can do. IMO, sounds a bit like duct tape and plastic.

I was a little fella in the 1960s. I can remember parents telling their kids not to eat snow because of Chinese nuclear bomb testing. But that may have been more paranoia than scientific.

designer

Chernobly was the absolute worst nuclear accident in history, 26 April 1986. Interestingly I was in Yokosuka Japan when that happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

The town was destroyed, but the impacts of radioactive fallout were contained.

That was in Soviet Russia. The Soviets executed (Hung) 11 operating engineers for the accident. It was a nuclear scram, meltdown, that was the result of poorly built equipment that included graphite control rods. Outdated stuff at the time, and the reason for the accident. I felt bad for the scapegoats that the USSR made of the operating engineers at the time.

Radiation is nasty stuff, but like things like AIDs, it has always been a hot button for reactionaries. I do not like it, but in the future that will be all we really have to generate enough electricity. Burning fossil fuels like coal will eventually dry up and nuclear fission is very efficient.

My heart goes out to all the suffering in Japan, but there is no need to over react in the USA. What the USA should be worried about really is the same scale of earthquake happening here. That will happen, it is just a matter of when. Are you ready for it?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Chernobly was the absolute worst nuclear accident in history, 26 April 1986. Interestingly I was in Yokosuka Japan when that happened.

The town was destroyed, but the impacts of radioactive fallout were contained.

They didn't have a containment dome. And the fallout wasn't contained.

Impact on People and EnvironmentMajor release of radio*active *material with widespread health and environmental effects r*equiring implementation of planned and extended *countermeasures...The resulting fire sent a plume of radioactive fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area, including Pripyat. The plume drifted over large parts of the western Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, and Northern Europe. Large areas in Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia were evacuated, and over 336,000 people were resettled. According to official post-Soviet data,[1][2] about 60% of the falloutBelarus.
landed in

Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus have been burdened with the continuing and substantial decontamination and health care costs of the Chernobyl accident. More than fifty deaths are directly attributed to the accident, all among the reactor staff and emergency workers. Estimates of the total number of deaths attributable to the accident vary enormously, from possibly 4,000 to close to a million.[4][5]

That was in Soviet Russia. The Soviets executed (Hung) 11 operating engineers for the accident. It was a nuclear scram, meltdown, that was the result of poorly built equipment that included graphite control rods. Outdated stuff at the time, and the reason for the accident. I felt bad for the scapegoats that the USSR made of the operating engineers at the time.
Several procedural irregularities also helped to make the accident possible. One was insufficient communication between the safety officers and the operators in charge of the experiment being run that night. The reactor operators disabled safety systems down to the generators, which the test was really about.

I remember hearing on the tube that unauthorized cooling tests helped trigger the event.

Radiation is nasty stuff, but like things like AIDs, it has always been a hot button for reactionaries.
Yeah. You can't see it, smell it or feel it. Less a Geiger counter, one will never know they're contaminated until violent vomiting ensues.

I do not like it, but in the future that will be all we really have to generate enough electricity. Burning fossil fuels like coal will eventually dry up and nuclear fission is very efficient.
Germany has halted operations at pre-1980s reactors. Apparently, nobody knows whether operations will resume.

It seems with nuclear, we learn of flaws after the fact. Three General Electric inspectors resigned in 1975 over the Mark 1 reactor that's causing Japan's nightmare. They said that the wet containment domes weren't as safe as large, dry domes. GE balked at costs and retrofitted wet dome upgrades.

One of the vessels no longer contains water. That's a big problem. Not getting solid information from Japan's nuclear brains compounds the problem. According to MSNBC, US Marines will attempt to apply water from helicopters above. Looking more and more like 1986.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nuclear (sp?) weed coming to a state near you
godzilla buds.......
Godzilla.JPG

GanjasaurusRexDVDCover.jpg

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I would fear my farts more than radiation from Japan. I live in San Fransisco area and I am not worried at all. Other melt downs have not produced enough radiation to cross oceans, I don't see why this one would.

S

Space Ghost

DONT WORRY! Our most handsome politicians will figure out a good solution!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yeah, they'll say something like "go shopping at the mall".

That reminds me, I need to go to the mall and buy some plastic and duct tape.:)

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
Yeah, our government is telling us the truth and Japans government as well.......

You think they would announce a global catastrophe to the whole world????

You believe anything the media says????

When it comes to the government the truth doesn't come out until the money is spent..

Ever heard of the downwinders??? Google it. Here's a couple blurbs from wiki.....

The nuclear explosions produce a characteristic mushroom cloud, which moves “downwind” as it reaches its stabilization height. Dispersion of the radioactive elements causes vertical and lateral cloud movement, spreading radioactive materials over adjacent regions. While the large particles settle nearby the site of the detonation, smaller particles and gases may be dispersed around the world. Additionally, some explosions injected radioactive material into the stratosphere, more than 10 kilometers above ground-level, meaning it may float there for years before being subsequently deposited uniformly around the earth. “Global fallout” is the result, which exposes everything to an elevated level of man-made background radiation. While “downwinders” refers to those who live and work closest to the explosion site and are thus most acutely affected, there is a global effect of increased health risks due to ionizing radiation in the atmosphere.[5]

In the 1950s, people who lived in the vicinity of the NTS were encouraged to sit outside and watch the mushroom clouds that were created by nuclear bomb explosions. Many were given radiation badges to wear on their clothes, which were later collected by the Atomic Energy Commission to gather data about radiation levels.

In a report by the National Cancer Institute, released in 1997, it was determined that the nearly ninety atmospheric tests at the Nevada Test Site (NTS) left high levels of radioactive iodine-131 (5.5 exabecquerels) across a large area of the continental United States, especially in the years 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1957. The National Cancer Institute report estimates that doses received in these years are estimated to be large enough to produce 10,000 to 75,000 additional cases of thyroid cancer in the U.S.[7] Another report, published by the Scientific Research Society, estimates that about 22,000 additional radiation-related cancers and 2,000 additional deaths from radiation-related leukemia are expected to occur in the United States because of external and internal radiation from both NTS and global fallout.[5]

I am sorry but today i wish I was a German citizen because they are the only county who doesn't have their head up their ass.

D

Duplicate

^ Any explosion that will happen at any of the reactors will not be the same or nearly on par with the explosion from a nuclear weapon.

supermanlives

Veteran
well now you will be able to identify real california weed with a geiger counter. every kilo with have its own radiation badge. your chronic wont be shit we will have toxic. the upside is it glows in the dark so you wont loose it

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Yeah, our government is telling us the truth and Japans government as well.......

You think they would announce a global catastrophe to the whole world????

You believe anything the media says????

When it comes to the government the truth doesn't come out until the money is spent..

Ever heard of the downwinders??? Google it. Here's a couple blurbs from wiki.....

The nuclear explosions produce a characteristic mushroom cloud, which moves “downwind” as it reaches its stabilization height. Dispersion of the radioactive elements causes vertical and lateral cloud movement, spreading radioactive materials over adjacent regions. While the large particles settle nearby the site of the detonation, smaller particles and gases may be dispersed around the world. Additionally, some explosions injected radioactive material into the stratosphere, more than 10 kilometers above ground-level, meaning it may float there for years before being subsequently deposited uniformly around the earth. “Global fallout” is the result, which exposes everything to an elevated level of man-made background radiation. While “downwinders” refers to those who live and work closest to the explosion site and are thus most acutely affected, there is a global effect of increased health risks due to ionizing radiation in the atmosphere.[5]

In the 1950s, people who lived in the vicinity of the NTS were encouraged to sit outside and watch the mushroom clouds that were created by nuclear bomb explosions. Many were given radiation badges to wear on their clothes, which were later collected by the Atomic Energy Commission to gather data about radiation levels.

In a report by the National Cancer Institute, released in 1997, it was determined that the nearly ninety atmospheric tests at the Nevada Test Site (NTS) left high levels of radioactive iodine-131 (5.5 exabecquerels) across a large area of the continental United States, especially in the years 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1957. The National Cancer Institute report estimates that doses received in these years are estimated to be large enough to produce 10,000 to 75,000 additional cases of thyroid cancer in the U.S.[7] Another report, published by the Scientific Research Society, estimates that about 22,000 additional radiation-related cancers and 2,000 additional deaths from radiation-related leukemia are expected to occur in the United States because of external and internal radiation from both NTS and global fallout.[5]

I am sorry but today i wish I was a German citizen because they are the only county who doesn't have their head up their ass.

I am amazed at this comment. So many non truths in there. I would start by saying no nuke has gone off and wont go off. Melt downs are way different.