What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Ebb Flow Show

G

Does frequent watering actually lead to more pH flux? Has anyone noticed this?

70s_PotHead

pico said:
Thanks 70s PotHead. So you flood for 15 minutes, then how long do you think it takes to drain back to your res? I have been flooding for like 5 because it takes 10 or 15 minutes to drain back through my pump. I still get around 1/2 to 3/4 the way up the tray with 5 minute flood.
Yea it takes about 5 minutes to drain back so I guess you can say the flood cycles are about 20 minutes. I've always just went by what I have the timer set at.

70s :joint:

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but, you said you're using one res for both the tables.... one pump with a "t" fitting? Two pumps? I understand how the res could "straddle" both tables underneath, but I'm confused as how to flood and drain both tables into one reservoir.

Thanks in advance

Your set up is very similar to the one I'm in the process of putting together, so I'l be watching... (hopefully not asking too many questions)

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
verry nice and clean setup Pico ....
i think its gonne be a nice show ..so i'm taggin it...

i do have a Q though...
these pots are they only filled with hydrotonpellets?

Thanks for the pump info Pico. What brand/model timer do you use or recommend?

I also wanted to ask if there is a formula to use when calculating water/res volume to flood table with pots and media. I know how to calculate the cubic inches of a 3' x 6' x 7" deep flood table into gallons, but I'm not sure how to calculate for 18 pots with media. I would imagine the same size table full of pots would displace more than half of the water volume of a flood table with no pots. Does that make any sense? Do different media displace/absorb liquid at different rates.

Sorry for getting so technical. Because my set up is so similar to yours, I feel confident that I could just follow your lead and use a 70 gallon res and all would be good, but I'm a nut in the fact that I like to know how and why things are set up the way they are, especially regarding grow systems/styles.

"You can lead a horse to fish, and he starves a cold, teach a man to wait an hour before swimming after eating and you feed a fever" or er, wait, I think these carrots are effecting my eyesight...

pico

Veteran
Core- Yep, just hydroton. I do have another grow going using hydroton and coco mix. I will be putting up a thread for that one within a couple weeks.

Bobs your uncle- I am sure you could figure out a formula if you wanted to get crazy. I am just waking up and I did a little drinking for my birthday so I am a little hazy and unmotivated to try and figure that out :) But it doesn't matter too much, I wouldn't get a 40 gallon res for this application just because the medium in the tray is displacing 20 gallons or so. 70 gallon seems about the smallest I would want to go for these 2 tables. I may find out in flowering that they are sucking up the water too fast and have to get a larger size. Yeah different mediums hold/displace more water. I don't have any specific numbers for you, but I am sure they are around here somewhere.

Here is what is in my flowering room right now. Day 47. Check out the 'current grow' link in my sig.

12245IMG_1681.JPG

I am only using half of the space in my flowering room so the ebb flow tables are going to be in addition to this half of the flowering room. Once these soil plants finish up There will be Coco/hydroton going in this half of the garden.

12245IMG_1646.JPG

pico

Veteran
oh, forgot about the timer. I used to use a cycle stat timer but it broke on the other day and was watering ever 10 minutes or something crazy. Right now I just some of those digital intermatic timers you can buy at most stores.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Great looking set up. Got me thinking now, but while I do that I will be sitting in the corner

pico

Veteran
I am going to try to get these bitches in to flowering tomorrow. Today they are going to get a good healthy trim and sprayed for spider mites.

I started this res with floranova veg and just started topping it up with GH flora series with Lucas Formula. I am also running hygrozyme and liquid karma. I may switch out the liquid karma for floralicious plus. Anyone used that before? It has the whole hydro store in 1 bottle.

Q*Bert

Hi Pico- Looking killer, props to you. Currently I am in rockwool cubes but am contemplating using the rocks next. I am about to set up a couple different set ups just to play with while I keep the old tried and true going. I am just getting back in the grow after being out of it for a long time and I stuck to what I knew for this first one and am glad I was able to pull it all together. As for the watering, I like to use the keep the roots wet, always. I let them air dry but not to the point of dieing, just allow them to breathe, then soak em again. I like to keep the roots growing and have found that is better than rotting. Stagnant water will lead to rot in my opinion. I had some issues in the beginning but feel that a consistant watering schedule is extremely important. I vary the time and durations to follow the above principles, but the "issues" associated with rockwool are making me look at other alternatives. I know its only a matter of time before algae/mold/fungus or any number of other things asszociated with rockwool pop up and kick my butt. As for the PH its a constant daily monitoring and adjustment at this time, looking into automation, we'll see.

Keesje

Very interesting!

Very interesting!

Wow!

Nice setup. I never saw trays that deep. Most trays we have are only 4.5 cm. That's less then 2 inch.

I never grew this way, but let me tell you what a professinal told me how they grow different exotic plants using hydroponics. They do it big. Approx. Like 70000 square meters (which is a lot in square feet... I think about 600000 square feet)

They use trays and also put the plants in the pot just on the floor that they can flood. They water twice a day. The water does not get higher then 4 cm, but he told me that because of the capillair ability (is this English?) of the claypebbles the water will get much higher. Like 4 inches. They use different size pots, but for similair-sized plants as cannabis they used pots from about 2 litres.

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
Qbert- Rockwool is a bitch.

Keesje- Thanks! I really like these trays. They are very sturdy so even my fat ass can stand on them. My roots only seem to grow down where the water floods, but all in all I am really liking ebb flow.

More pictures tomorrow. I am in the process of transfering everything over in the flowering room. And of course I just realized I don't have enough power running to my room. Damn house only has 60 amp service.

macster

Pico I just saw this thread and the excellent thread on light distribution (reflectors) anyhow I noticed your square pots about 2 gallon?? If it might ask where did you find them??

Grownz

Another great grow Pico!! Love your work. This floods from the bottom right? Then just drains through to the res? Correct? I assume you are doing screens again?

pico

Veteran
Ok I just pulled yet another all nighter. Transfered everything in to the flowering room.

coco mats

plants

SCROG screens

This is a typical plant before and after trim

Second table

I snapped a picture of the blue skunk right as I finished up. Tasty.

12245IMG_1893.JPG

Core- Thanks bro, this should be a good one.

Macster- I bought those square pots at my local hydro store.

Grownz- yep the tables flood from the bottom and then drain back through the pump. I love my screens :yummy:

jimjay

Are you far along enough to have a preference between hydroton and coco/hydroton? Also do you use tap water w/ the lucas formula? Everything looks real good by the way.

pico, i'm running the exact same as you, but i'm doing 4 tables. i'm still undecided between rockwool cubes or pots with hydroton. right now i have my first batch of 36 in rapid rooters and vegging in 6x6x7 pots with a 50/50 mix of hydroton/rockwool chunks. do you think i could carefully transplant these 6x6 plants into 10"x10". also i notice you have your tables RIGHT next to each other. do you feel that you can access all the plants if necessary? i have 15 ft to work with so theoretically i could pack in one more table, but i think i'll start with 4 just to give myself room.

pico

Veteran
jimjay- I have not done a large enough run with either to tell which is best. I will be doing coco/hydroton or coco/perlite beds very shortly so I will keep you updated.

Sprialsmurf- I personally am not a big fan of rockwool. The hydroton has been the easiest thing I have ever worked with. My plants have not shown any sort of difficiency and have been growing crazy fast. I think you could probably transplant your plants without doing too much damage. Give them a little while to recover before flowering. It is nice to have your tables and lights right next to each other because then you get light coming from more angles. More even light distrobution and more efficient use of light as well. I am able to move my tables apart. I have been thinking of adding some wheels to make it even easier. If you are using the american agritech(botanicare) 3x6 tables you will not be able to fit 5 of them in 15 feet. they are like 3ft 3 inches wide I want to say. The cheap 3x6 trays probably will fit 5. If you have a choice go with american agritech trays they are much stronger.