What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Duckpond : Zacateca's Edition

MallardDuck

Some Lilly of the Valley and a shot of the sun catching the back of a flower whose name I forget right now.

20210529_103412.jpg

IMG_20210529_183752_662.jpg

MallardDuck

20210605_125441.jpg

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out with a small problem. I notice some of my plants seeming to yellow in between the veins of the leaf again. It is some sort of deficiency or something wrong that I have had a problem with for a couple of grows now, but I haven't figured out what it is. Maybe light bleaching from Leds? I have no idea.

A few details about my grow:

I use tap water that comes out of the tap around 5.8-6 ph and dechlorinate with a pinch of vitamin C powder.
They are in Promix HP amended with lots of worm casting and my own compost as well as Gaia Green 4-4-4 organic powder nutrient.
They are receiving CaliMagic 1-0-0 Cal Mag supplement every second watering.

If anyone has an idea I would be very appreciative!

Cheers!

G

Hello MD!I love your garden and tidy setup!

The yellowing looks like the beginning of magnesium deficiency.It is pretty common under leds.You either have to up pot or raise your feeding.

Hope it helps amigo :)

MallardDuck

Ok I will give them a double dose of CaliMagic and then go to 1.5x times every watering and see how that goes. Thanks Syd .

PS 3 month old puppy pictures incoming on Saturday... I am so excited for another dog to love!

MallardDuck

Well things have been very busy here. Luna the new pup is a wonderful gentle pup and a lot of work! She has latched on to Finn and follows her around like a shadow, I see now why many of the dog rescue/adoption charities like having another dog in a new home when they send a dog there. I can tell she is learning a lot from Finn, who is strict with her but very gentle. She uses this deep but gentle growl with the puppy I have never heard her make before. They are fast friends.
IMG_20210618_093158_334.jpg

As for my plants, with the little whirlwind named Luna not really able to be left alone in the house right now, garden time has been hard to find. I have started giving 1.5x Cal Mag dose every watering. But I missed a couple of waterings and the plants seem unhappy and I also believe they are rootbound.

20210618_091122.jpg

So far 2 of the Zacatecas have shown sex I think. This is my first time sexing cannabis plants as I had used fems in the past, so my confidence level isn't that high. Almost all the plants are showing some sort of preflower though. I hope to sex them soon as the pre flowers develop more. Can anyone help me out with these 2?

20210617_211405.jpg

20210617_211658.jpg

As you can see they are all sporting beautiful purple stems except for the lone Congo. Stem rubs on the Zacatecas seem to be pine, sandalwood, incense, and lime in various combinations. The Congo doesn't have much smell yet. Hopefully, I can get them all healthy and ready for cuts soon. I still haven't decided exactly how I want to do this in regards to flowering them out and keeping clones... I have some t5 lights I will probably fire up or perhaps I can move some outside temporarily as the daylight hours are very long now at 55N. Hmmm.

anyways I hear Luna is begging me to take her and Finn for a walk. Hope everyone's doing well!

bibi40

Would say female for the first one , and certainly the second one too , but less sure about the second .

Good grow mate ...

:tiphat:

MallardDuck

Things have been hot here, at least for me, about 30C. My outdoor plants have been loving it and so has the pooch! She has discovered the wonders of the hose and has been taking full advantage in the heat!

20210622_194458.jpg

So far I have 4 confirmed females of the Zacateca so far. I haven't been able to identify the others yet but I sure hope of is a sexy male I can stud out. I have some more pictures of some of the ones I am unsure of, it might be too early to tell but Im not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

20210622_215137.jpg

20210622_215011.jpg

And here is one of the lovely ladies :)

20210622_215351.jpg

Thanks again for following along. Enjoy this Passion Vine Flower!

20210621_114719.jpg

Attachments

• 20210622_215351.jpg
    20210622_215351.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 51

MallardDuck

Well out of the 7 Zacatecas, I have 5 confirmed females. One of the two I have a feeling is another female so I really hope the last one is male so I can make some seeds. I know it isn't a huge number of females, but I always thought Cannabis was about 50% male and 50% Female. I wonder if it is something in my environment that is turning things female. I did a little researching and what I got is that it seems as if Cannabis is genetically fluid in terms of sexuality and sex is not necessarily determined at birth. Anyways cross your fingers for me. I really want the last two to show sex so I can take and share cuts.

72121737_551115938764874_3107106148814646410_n.jpg

Here is a Preying Mantis I found hanging out on the top of a can of Deet! He didn't have much luck there...

zaprjaques

Wishing you luck on your quest for making seeds!
Its very exciting :)

In case you dont have a male is there anything that would speak against turning a female by using STS or colloidal silver?

Since i set up my tiny PC grow i've had like 2 thirds of the plants declaring female.
The other third were males or didnt make it.

I am also very interested to find out what might cause it.

All i think to know about this is that tropical cannabis is supposed to have a higher ratio of females, but on the other hand also a higher ratio of intersex expressions...

Or was there anything else concerning high nitrogen maybe?

Thanks for sharing!

MallardDuck

Hey zaprjaques

Well, I haven't planted enough seeds really to be sure it's my environment yet, it could still be chance, but it got me interested in the topic. I have never heard that about tropical Cannabis regarding females. Interesting for sure. Perhaps because male cannabis plant can pollinate many females, it is some sort of competitive advantage for a plant's progeny to have a higher ratio of females?

A friend of mine actually just made some colloidal silver, so if I have no females I will ask him if I can have a slice! That would be fun to do as well!

​​​​​​​:)

Consolidated

Especially the sativas have higher ratio of females...
Have luck friend, I have a feeling that your last plant will be a male.

MallardDuck

Well, me and Luna are stumped as to what 2 of the plants are. I thought I saw pistils on one, but I can't find them now :shucks: To be honest I have sort of been putting off taking cuts... my only experience taking cuttings is snipping a bit off a plant I like and taking it home and sticking it in water with moderate success. I just did that with some Ivy I saw. It seems like cannabis is a little more finicky from what I have read. If they haven't shown their sex in a day or two I will just bite the bullet and chop away. It got up to 37C today where I am... breaking records. I have had to water my outside garden constantly. I like the heat but this is a little much for me! I have been doing a lot of reading in the basement, with Luna accompanying me while she lays on the cool concrete.

Here is Luna trying to decide whether the undeclared plants are male or female :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210628_184915.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	17889089

Attachments

• photo2054643.jpg
    photo2054643.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 39

MallardDuck

SO I have everything mostly sexed. I am not 100% sure about one that I believe is female, but at this point, I just took cuts as I have completely outgrown my space. This is my first t try taking cannabis cuttings so wish me the best! Luckily I was able to distribute some of the full sized plants to people in my local cannabis community that have the space :) Anyways I hope you all aren't getting bored with my posts... I don't have too much exciting to show yet.

20210702_150232.jpg

20210701_125710.jpg

MallardDuck

I decided to pop one of the females outside in a 7 gallon pot. Not sure if it will finish in time (unless we get a long autumn like last year) but I am looking forward to seeing it flourish in its new home regardless. It's hanging out with a few autos that survived the week-long 40C heatwave we got here. Also here are some Day Lillies, Mardigon Lillies, and a Moonflower from my garden :)

20210704_121149.jpg

20210703_220312.jpg

20210703_215455.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts