What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Duckpond : Zacateca's Edition

MallardDuck

Hi everyone,

I am really excited to start another thread in the ACE forum. Just between you and me, all the nicest people seem to hang out here. I just had 100% germination on 7 Zacateca's Tribute and one Congo fem. I like to think Mr Limpopo and the good vibes from my orchid helped with that :) I am going to be (hopefully) playing with a bit of pollen... making Zacateca's F2's and ZacatecaxCongo. Just doing an open pollination in my 2x4 tent This will be my first time purposefully making seeds... I am excited about this. I have heard that F2's often have a nice wide variety of phenos.... Big thanks to Vermontman for cooking these seeds up for me.

My plan is to switch to 12/12 shortly after the first true set of leaves to keep these things contained. Paddi gave me the idea to use some long skewers as stakes and use them for training and bending the tops down if they get too tall. Anyways not much to look at yet but hopefully in 13-14 weeks I can call myself a seed father :)

20210504_191219.jpg

20210504_191619.jpg

20210508_114849.jpg

Legalcdn

Great selection. I have the exact same seeds, zac trib and congo fem.

Have you thought about isolation chamber to catch pollen and then dust branches? Then you still have some great colas unseeded.. i did it with bangi haze (male) x Malawi. 1 branch gave me 90 seeds.

hoping you become a proud father..

MallardDuck

Hmm I haven't thought of that Legalcdn, I was planning to wash the seeded colas into hash after I had got the seeds out. A friend of mine has one of those washing machine things that makes it easy. I don't know how much seeds affect resin production. I may be underestimating the number of seeds I will get based on your experience! Hmmm

zaprjaques

A very little pollen makes a lot of seeds.
I was very surprised myself.
Got around 150 seeds from 2 bonsai plants, i had no idea. First time i ever did it.

Maybe if you have a separate area you could take some small cuttings and flower them out fast, like 10/14 or even 9/15 light schedule.

vanilla dutch

When i do long flowering strains under 12/ 12 i keep the light closer and feed more often. Helps keep the height down.

Smoker2

Veteran
Hi Duck Nice Start cant wait to see everything you are doing
just like to know if you did pass in town with your Wife&Kids
I think you did yesterday look and you stop in front of my desk

My Friend if you like to know what to do with your seed collection
Take to me Bro you can do one or 100+ easy....PM😉
P1630664.JPG
P1630768.JPG
P1630788.JPG

Duck In Town....😎
P1640065.JPG
P1640058.JPG

MallardDuck

Duck, Duck, Goose! You caught me Smokey.... I had to see the kitties. Too much cuteness. New rule, when Smokey posts in my thread he has to pay a kitty pic tax.

I don't really have a separate spot except for outside... the daylight hours are too long to flower anything right now. Does anyone know if seeded bud affects hash yields? I would imagine traditionally a lot of hash is made from seeded bud. I also have a nice stock of nice strains right now as well as what I am going to grow outside this summer. I am not as concerned about my indoor grow right now at least in terms of yield... this is more of just a fun little experiment. I am hoping for at least 2 males to open pollinate to keep the genetic pool as wide as I can with my small space. I had originally planned this when Zacateca's was an out-of-production strain, with thoughts toward preservation, though I have heard through the grapevine that Vermontman will be making more so not really an issue now. Im going to try to hold off buying anything for this grow... I am at a new job at a decorative flower greenhouse that makes me much happier, but the pay is lower than what I am used to. But I get to help people and work with plants all day long :)

I dropped my light as low as I could go... Im wondering if I should throw them under my t5s for a week instead of my QB.

Anyways thanks to everyone who has popped in... I think this is going to be a fun ride and you guys have shotgun.

IMG_20210206_211601_434.jpg

Finn knows good things are coming....

Breadwizard

Sitting in for this one, I've got a pack of zac trib burning a hole in my seed collection. Don't think I'll get to it this summer, but I've got other BSHW-stuff going to help keep at bay my BSHW itch. Hope you get some nice ones!

MallardDuck

Finn might be the most accident-prone dog in existence. Poor pup hurt her leg again... a torn meniscus. After I paid for her to get her knee repaired the first time, the vet told me there was a 10-15% chance this injury could happen... It might as well be 100% because Finn is a clutz! She will have to spend most of the summer recovering from this surgery now... she is gonna be sad that she can't go to the dogpark for a while. She will also have to stay home when I go canoeing... I almost feel bad then I remember the vet bills!

Here she is in her favorite spot by the heat register.

Resized_20210507_141250.jpg

The seedlings seem happy... still putting their roots down. Now I am second-guessing my plan for 12/12... I am thinking vegging them out in the tent taking cuts and save the most interesting female I get. Descisions descisions...

20210515_082123.jpg
20210515_082128.jpg

justabluez

Veteran
Looking forward to the duckpond filling up with baby Zac crosses!!!

I popped 2 seeds and got 2 girls. Both Zacs looked about the same...and had the same kind of menthol/lemon/Vicks sav kind of smell.
I hit the zac with the Golden Thai, Purple Mexican, TanBD-AGPD, and Blazing Dragon.
I just finished the ZacxGoldenThai, and I like it!! I lost my Zac clones...but I have a few more beans and a few crosses with it!!
A few more weeks and the Zac X Purple Mexican will be done!! Can't wait to try that one!!!

I'm interested to see if you get different phenos...I think there is a green one and a purple one. I think both of mine were the green ones..

Legalcdn

I read somewhere in the Green Mountain Seeds Zacateca Tribute and Pineapple Banana Bud will not be replenished so when they gone, they are gone. The open pollination is a good choice.

Breadwizard

I vote saving your fav female cutting, but I always vote that way. Whenever I top the first time, I clone from that top. Don't want to lose something special

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks MallardDuck for starting a new grow diary here among your friends! :smoke out: Glad you have had a perfect germination rate with the Zacatecas Tribute and the single Congo fem.

I heard some news from vermontman saying he may focus mainly on Purple Satellite, Green Mountain Grape and Zacateca Tribute strains, so hopefully there will be more ZT stock in the future, but better make your own F2 just in case ;) These GMS sativa lines are really worth to grow and breed, and to be preserved.

Best wishes!

justabluez

Veteran
Some pics of the Zacatecas Tribute x Cannabiogen Purple Mexican. The plant is over 6 feet tall and has many branches. It is not topped.
The buds have that purple mexican light green color... smells lemony. Can't wait. Maybe another month before done.

zacmexy_52021_14.jpg
zacmexy_52021_13.jpg

MallardDuck

My perennials are coming up! :bis:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210527_194420.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	17867591

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210522_171835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	17867592

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210522_172122_654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	17867593

It is such a refreshing time of year... the snow melts and new life emerges :) Many beautiful blooms out! But danger lurks... the Asiatic Red Lily Beetle. A nasty little bugger whose larvae pile feces on their back as protection as they munch through leaves. Oh, they also hiss when you pick them up and have no natural predators in western Canada. It's been a war of attrition these last few years and I'm not sure who is winning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210522_170429_464.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	17867594

Ill try to gets some pics up of the cannabis plants... Ill only force more garden pic on you after the next update. Ill probably have time tomorrow.

Legalcdn

Garden looking super. I have harvested raddishes, lettuce, strawberries. We have snowball bushes, milkweed, and clematis in southwest ontario. We get the Japanese Beatles.

MallardDuck

Nice Legalcdn I always loved snowball bushes... they always seemed like they sprung from a child's imagination. Here is the Zacatecas... they are 19 days old now from being popped in the soil with their tails out. They all seem fairly uniform at this point except for the Congo fem - the smallest one. It seems to be less vigorous than the Zacatecas at this point - or at least not liking the conditions in my tent quite as much. I think the slight leaf curling/twist could be from frying it with my LEDs? Im not sure but the new growth seems healthy.

20210528_205909.jpg

20210528_205852.jpg

20210528_205901.jpg