What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Compound...

swapmeet

The reason I say run cloners first is to jump start things and get a leg up on production....I never used em cuz I didn`t live onsite with the setups and couldn't risk the X factor of possible burned up pumps , or elevated rez temps causin total failure from slime and root rot...so...Just like I used #5 smartpots to grow 1.5 oz plants , I also used clear solo cups for insurance and consistent enough rooting times......slower....but consistent enough for my rotations.

This is what I will do to get up the numbers as you suggest...Once it is up and hoonin, I'll have the laterals in the cups like you did. Until I am up to the numbers, and probably even after, I will keep a few mothers around and do a combination of cuts from the mothers mixed in with the laterals from the next wave going into flower... This will keep the gene pool true and not lose attributes due to a clone of a clone of a clone...etc.

Also, I may not be using all strains at one time, so it will be good to keep the prime specimen around as you suggest also...

Coco hempy moms huh? Interesting... Not a bad plan as long as I can feed them the same nutes....

I may utilize the 4' 9 bulb t8 light to veg moms under and root cuts under...then use the t5 under the stairs just to veg the waves of clones, as you suggest...

I am still trying to figure out how to work the veg/mom setup...I can also have stages and incorporate one of the CMH lights I have...

I am open to suggestions as always...

swapmeet

Pictorial update

Pictorial update

I am just about to top these bitches and test out the aero cloner...any day now....perhaps this evening. Here are some pictures from this morning:

Last edited:

swapmeet

Porosity Test

Porosity Test

A lot of things happening this thanksgiving... I hope everyone had a great one! So, my other coco came in and I ran the porosity test a la Icky:

Two identical jars to start with...

Filled one jar up with coco:

Filled it up with water, let the coco settle, then filled it to the top with coco, then water:

Attached the screen:

used a funnel to dump all the water into jar #2 and got right around 30% porosity:

swapmeet

Thanksgiving...continued...

Thanksgiving...continued...

I noticed that a lot of the sprouts had stretched quite a bit, were falling over, and they were dry. So, I mixed up some more soil/perlite, filled the cups all the way to bury some of the stretched stems and offer support, then I watered them in and put them on a high end, swapmeet riser (patent pending).

These moms are ready to be topped...So tomorrow is the day... The weather stripping is on the aero cloner, and I just have one finishing touch to do, which is handle the power cord of the pump in there. So in the morning, I will button it up, fire it up and check for leakage and coverage, then top these moms, dip them in the hormex solution, scuff the bottom of the stems a bit, and put them in the cloner...

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
A lot of things happening this thanksgiving... I hope everyone had a great one! So, my other coco came in and I ran the porosity test a la Icky:

Two identical jars to start with...

Filled one jar up with coco:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1992127]View Image[/url]

Filled it up with water, let the coco settle, then filled it to the top with coco, then water:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1992128]View Image[/url]

Attached the screen:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1992129]View Image[/url]

used a funnel to dump all the water into jar #2 and got right around 30% porosity:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1992130]View Image[/url]

Now start mixing in the chunky stuff till you find the mix does 35%. You need to create a log so you can test different mixes and remember what get you there.

swapmeet

I reuse mine. But if you have something in it it can be a bad thing. You dont want root rot or bugs to be used in your next run.

I just meant for each test with the chunky stuff until you get 35% porosity... Since the coco you already used will be saturated already.

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro....Been busy with Fam and Turkey Day smokin birds and hams.....Glad yas filled the cups all the way to help hold the babies up......I always start beans in a 1/2 filled cup to keep building up rootmass by fillin the cup up as they stretch.....but...…

If they keep stretchin , they`re too far from the light source ......now..... some constructive criticism bout your older young'uns …..You can`t build root systems with seedlings by lettin em suck up juice from the bottom like you`re doin Bro...... on top of em being in too large of a container that holds more moisture than needed and retards growth and rootmass building.....first off.....

Seedlings set taproots that have 1 purpose and 1 purpose only......in Nature that is.....and that`s to seek out moisture to keep the plant alive while it develops "feeder roots" laterally to assimilate nutrients from the soil/medium/substrate to feed the vertical growth and ensure survival of the plant.....

Rooted cuts/clones set no taproot , and that`s why clones always take off faster with lateral growth , but seed plants grow taller more vigorous plants from the get.....or maybe that`s just my old ass experience..... anyways.....

I`m gonna give the secret of all secrets about hydro-like feed sequences.....It`s all about the "gas exchange" as in replenishing Oxygen to the rootzone as often as possible and purging the "perched water table" in the bottoms of all containers to do so.....

The only person I`ve ever seen mention this here was Delta9nxs with his PPK`s and talking about it due to how slow his setup recirculated , but you HAVE to get rid of the stagnant shit in the bottoms , especially if you`re using larger containers than are needed like you are......I`m a big fan of up potting before rootbound to keep blowing up the rootmass that controls upper growth till the final container.....then.....

Once enough rootmass has been built by end of stretch , the budsite building and filling in should take care of itself till end of cycle...….aight.....just things to ponder and figure out....no biggie....but it`s the little things that make the difference.....bet on it...…

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….Edit....Glad Icky chimed in so put 2 n 2 together and get hoonin…..

swapmeet

Hey Bro....Been busy with Fam and Turkey Day smokin birds and hams.....Glad yas filled the cups all the way to help hold the babies up......I always start beans in a 1/2 filled cup to keep building up rootmass by fillin the cup up as they stretch.....but...…

If they keep stretchin , they`re too far from the light source ......now..... some constructive criticism bout your older young'uns …..You can`t build root systems with seedlings by lettin em suck up juice from the bottom like you`re doin Bro...... on top of em being in too large of a container that holds more moisture than needed and retards growth and rootmass building.....first off.....

Seedlings set taproots that have 1 purpose and 1 purpose only......in Nature that is.....and that`s to seek out moisture to keep the plant alive while it develops "feeder roots" laterally to assimilate nutrients from the soil/medium/substrate to feed the vertical growth and ensure survival of the plant.....

Rooted cuts/clones set no taproot , and that`s why clones always take off faster with lateral growth , but seed plants grow taller more vigorous plants from the get.....or maybe that`s just my old ass experience..... anyways.....

I`m gonna give the secret of all secrets about hydro-like feed sequences.....It`s all about the "gas exchange" as in replenishing Oxygen to the rootzone as often as possible and purging the "perched water table" in the bottoms of all containers to do so.....

The only person I`ve ever seen mention this here was Delta9nxs with his PPK`s and talking about it due to how slow his setup recirculated , but you HAVE to get rid of the stagnant shit in the bottoms , especially if you`re using larger containers than are needed like you are......I`m a big fan of up potting before rootbound to keep blowing up the rootmass that controls upper growth till the final container.....then.....

Once enough rootmass has been built by end of stretch , the budsite building and filling in should take care of itself till end of cycle...….aight.....just things to ponder and figure out....no biggie....but it`s the little things that make the difference.....bet on it...…

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….Edit....Glad Icky chimed in so put 2 n 2 together and get hoonin…..

Thank you sir. It was not my original plan, trust me. It was more of a quick solution to problems with my original seed starters...They had no aeration, so the seedlings were basically sitting in mud and showing over watered signs. So I figured that since I was going hempy anyway, I would just plant them in their final pot (since they are the moms) and top feed every couple days for the first week or so and let them stretch their legs into the new pots, then once the roots hit the res, I would feed from the bottom and let them leech.

I knew it was not the best way and it would cost me a little time, but it was a one time deal... Now I have the right size cups to build nice root masses in before up potting into the 1g bags in coco. They were stunted with the overwatering issue, and again with the large up potting, but they are growing good now... I expect rapid growth once I top them, and when they drink the res dry of juice, I let them dry out for a few days so they can expand their rootmass before hitting them with he juice again... Time will tell...thank you for the strong advice, as always.

Last edited:

swapmeet

I was thinking.... Perhaps the best route to go in order for simplicity and uniformity in this grow is to top the hempy moms, and when I definitely have rooted cuts, just flower the hempies and keep the cuts as moms in coco... I can develop their root systems correctly in cups, then 1g, then 3g grow bags. This way everything will be in coco, and I can save a little room with the res' and make more room for clones that way.

DunHav`nFun

Anything that makes it easier for you to set things in motion once plants get up and start growin is a good thing , so handle it and keep us updated on progress.....Good luck and.....

Peace......DHF.....:ying: ……..

swapmeet

Hey what the hell man you still posting?

Hahaha yeah bro... I just didn't post for a bit because there are no changes to report yet...I just got 2 1500 gph pumps in the mail along with 100 grow bags..., and I have the seedlings growing...Just nothing exciting... I will post a proper update later today :tiphat:

swapmeet

Finally, the paranoia is a bit more subsided.... As I mentioned before, I have been waiting for a goody box with my drip clean, basket stakes, Pro-tekt, and last few strains (AK47, THC Bomb, and White Rhino). One of the reasons I have been quiet for the last 10 days or so is that a package that would normally take 4-6 days, just got here today after falling off the tracking grid twice for a week or so of stagnation each and finally getting here after 21 days. So it is a relief that the box got here today, seemingly unopened.

Last edited:

swapmeet

Where we stand today

Where we stand today

Okay. In the heat of my security scare, with the extra long delivery time and tracking falling off the grid twice, as well as new neighbors to the compound moving in, I neglected the seedlings a little bit. However, save for about three, they are looking pretty good.

As for the mothers in the hempies, they have sucked up all the juice, and I have decided to let them spend a few days depleting the vermiculite storage of nutes, and expand their root mass as they look for more.

There are alternating nodes on GG1, as well as NL1, the latter with really good branching going on. It is turning into a little bush.

Also, I have my new genetics: AK47, THC Bomb, and White Rhino, soaking and they will be the first seedlings in 100% coco. This means that I will be figuring out my mix with the addition of husk chunks to dial my porosity to around 35%.

I also have my RO system hooked up 96%. I just need an end cap to make it fully functional. I am finally ready to take some cuts since my Dip N Grow is here now, along with my hormex. I have a lot of work to do and I will keep you updated.

Latest posts

Latest posts