What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Chem family

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it depends how the breeder uses it,,,:),,,,i think the Chem family caught a lucky brake and took the high-road by chance

breeders can use "feminization" as a steping stone to the future,,,or they can jump into a river with the same stone and meet there end,,

selecting inderviduals acording to there "female form" is way better than this blind male selections we have been used to in the past [imo],,,,

selecting polen-doners and evaluating inderviduals in "male form " is like eating a hotdog,,,only god knows whats init:)

simos

There's a running debate about the effects of feminization. At the very least, some strains don't take to it happily, and it probably increases the likelihood of hermaphroditic traits being expressed in later generations. There are a number of respected breeders who have very strong opinions about the subject.

Still, there seems to be some confusion about what constitutes "feminization"... The bagseeds Chem popped that led to the illustrious family of strains bearing his name weren't feminized seeds, they were selfed seeds (random S1s). "Feminized" implies that the process of selfing was carried out in a controlled, directed manner, rather than as a random consequence of stress in the growroom.

Rudedewd

Chem D was germed around 97 I believe by Chem after he lost his original 91 cut. The numbered cuts (including Chem 4) were germed by JB years later after Chem hooked him up with some of the original beans.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"feminization" is just a word used to discribe breeding with only "females",,,i wish we didnt use it,,,,will someone sujest a better term to coin?

lol,,,,this is so funny because we constantly missuse the words hemaphrodite in relation to cannabis,,,im getting tired of correcting people,,,,even the words "females" and "males" get missused,,,,,

if a female produces viable polen then it wasnot a "TrueFemale" in the first place,,,

"true females" have sterility mutations that stop them producing polen ,,,,,,

jobo

Not my writing. Just a cut n paste.

At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, 'joebrand' (aka 'wonkanobe') and 'pbud' met 'chemdog' and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500. joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast. According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds.

In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’. In '01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled ‘c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In '06, 'chemdog' and 'joebrand' reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, '4' being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the '4' was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the 'reunion pheno'. Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.

Chemdawg Crosses:
• 'OG Kush' (the original cut) came from an s1 from in a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.
• 'Sour Diesel' aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of ('91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL's lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian.
• Original Diesel' (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of '91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi's Northern Lights) done by a guy known as ‘weasel’.

• 'chemdog' and friends made several crosses that are held closely by a small group of friends and acquaintances. Among them are:

1. Super Snowdawg (Bubble Chem x [Super skunk x Oregon Sno])
2. Giesel (Chem D x Mass Super Skunk)
3. Bubble Chem (Chemdawg’s Sister x Sag's Bubbleberry)
4. Dawg Daze aka ChemHaze (Chem D x ’93 Sensi's NL#5/Haze)
5. Chemdawg D x Pbud (another old-school Colorado strain)

JJ-NYC has been working on a Chemdawg D-based seed line for several years now. He started by crossing Chemdawg D to Sensi's Afghani after thoroughly testing both Sensi's Afghani and Sensi's Hindu Kush to determine which was more stable and would be better for the initial cross. JJ then did a backcross, known as "Double Dawg." Several phenos of this circulate and several people still have beans. JJ's latest work to the line is a second backcross known as "Tres Dawg" which is just starting to get tested.

Rezdog of Reservoir Seeds recently released several Chemdawg crosses as part of his 'Trinity' charity auctions. The crosses included Chemdawg D x Sensi's Hindu Kush and Snowdawg x Sensi's Hindu Kush, Chemdawg D x Sour Diesel IBL, Snowdawg x Sour Diesel IBL, ChemHaze x Sour Diesel IBL and Giesel x Sour Diesel IBL.

"Original article by: High&Lonesome
Special thanks go to orgogliodiprovi and chemdog who helped me straighten out the story and exact details."

F

FreshGenetics

yo fresh,,,,the ECSD is supposed to be MassSuperskunk x [Chem x DNL],,,,,i relized this years ago,,,,,ECSD was 1 of the first majorly hyped and available clones,,,an guess what,,,it probbly came from feminized seeds,,,,

did you ever hear of the FFA clone,,,MassSuperskunk x OGKA rez made selected by crazycomposer....ive got the FFA clone and its pretty nice too,,,its from feminized seed again,,,the FFA stands strong with the most hyped clones in the world,,,hightimes ran a 2 page artical on it

id bet money that the whole Chem family is riding on the back of feminization,,,thats why its been so good,,

Chem91 was supposed to have been found in a bag of weed,,,,sounds like fems to me,,[if the weed was indoor and grown for sensi]

Thanks for the info english!

That is what I feared.

F

FreshGenetics

"feminization" is just a word used to discribe breeding with only "females",,,i wish we didnt use it,,,,will someone sujest a better term to coin?

lol,,,,this is so funny because we constantly missuse the words hemaphrodite in relation to cannabis,,,im getting tired of correcting people,,,,even the words "females" and "males" get missused,,,,,

if a female produces viable polen then it wasnot a "TrueFemale" in the first place,,,

"true females" have sterility mutations that stop them producing polen ,,,,,,

NEEDS to be a sticky!

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why just outcross,,?,,,,why not have the lot,,,incross, outcross, self polination?,,,,,

its only a terrible idea if you dont have clear goals and motovation to acompish them,,,the best breeders set high goals with limited scope and ahere to there ideals:),,,,,,try to think outside the box and incorperate all camps to support the species:)

what do you want to achive bro?

do you want to preserve specific traits or something

segregation is the key to survival imo;)

F

FreshGenetics

Incrossing and selfing are obvious.

Outcross sounds more exciting.

I want to improve the line.

I want it in seed form.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you outcross beffore the genotype is locked down you might lose what makes the chem so special

you can improve the line by simply helping it reach its full potential,,,some inderviduals cope with stress factors differently to others,,,,after all phenotype = genotype + enviroment

F

FreshGenetics

So you're saying:

1. Self
2. Search for P1s
3. Inbreed
4. Outcross

Dat soun' 'bout right?

JOJO420

Veteran
CAN'T FIND INFO

CAN'T FIND INFO

I mean no disrespect, but no new info is being published. The whole genetic debate is beating a dead horse.
Where is the grow reports for Chem 4. Where is the info on how to dial this cut in? Does it like topping? How is she for feeding, light or heavy? Does it need space or is it better in a sog? does the chem prefer soil or hydro? How long do I run it, how many days for perfection?
I got this cut from a dispensary and I'm having a hard time finding credible grow evidence or tips of any kind, PLEASE HELP.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is no1 intrested in when the Chems produce nana`s in late flower?,,,,,its a special trait :)

just for freshness;)

1] isolate the genotype,,,[pin down the desired traits]

^^^ this can be done via selfing or inbreeding [remember crossing 2 fullsib females is still incrossing],,,

2] then outcross

Burt

Veteran
Sub-your pics rock-I can see why you'd post that honey in multiple threads!
I had to do a double take cause those greasy orange haired buds look much like my appalachia ladies buds
picture.php

Burt

Veteran
"why just outcross,,?,,,,why not have the lot,,,incross, outcross, self polination?,,,,,"
cause its already bottlenecked-read the awesome article by Jasmine in the new skunk mag

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are you trying to say the "D" or the "91" allready breeds true?,,,thats not what ive heard,,but i could easly be wrong

witch progeny have been used to evaluate your clames?

E

easyrasta

WTF is your avatar H&L....?? I bet yer beard looks like that too. :)

i think its a pic of rasputin,
good to see H*l around he can use a picture of barney for all i care, lol great to see ya too stretch
peace
Ez