What's new

The Cab Club

justanotherbozo

Veteran
The bake a around pyrex tubes are 14 in long. Its a diy cool tube but it's workin. EBay has them
(these are great and many use them for cooltubes)

Pinkladyeater, you can also go to a local craft store and
get a hurricane glass, just a tube meant to hold a candle
and protect it from the wind.

here you can see i DIY'ed my cooltube using 2 hurricane
tubes.

also, i'd suggest you do a test run for at least a day without
any sealed reflector, maybe you can get away without
the need for an air-cooled hood.

btw, i'm glad that article was helpful to you as it was helpful
to me.

jimbo420

Getting close to grow time

Getting close to grow time

I am trying this one more time. I spent about an hour typing up my post on Saturday and my Laptop froze and I lost everything! :comfort:

I got this cabinet on Craiglist for a $10 donation. I figured it'd be a good base for a stealth cab. All in all I am as pleased as this base will let me be. Having known what I know now I would have built it from scratch.

I wanted to build one like Nokuy (Yukon) found HERE. 3 chambers: Utility, Flower, Veg. I found that the hard pressed particle board is difficult to work with since it is brittle and the screws can strip easily. Not to mention it is laminated which made painting it difficult. I will just have to be careful not to scratch it.

I am still under construction. My biggest issue I am having right now is the hinges for the doors are not easy to seal. When I first turned my lights on to test my ventilation & temps and noticed many little light leaks. To top it off the doors are 2 split down the center. So my veg is fully covered by one and the flower has a bit of overlap from it. I intend to eventually replace the doors with 2 that are the size of the chambers they are closing up on. and better hinges on the outside not hidden ones like it has that make it difficult to seal.

You may be asking what is that fan on the front of my cooltube. I was originally thinking my 400w HPS was going to be too much heat. I decided to rig up a 120mm fan to point towards the lamp. I never turned it on and and my temps were about 73°. So I removed it.

The sides of my veg chamber are lined with an emergency blanket spray glued to cardboard (I still have to do the door). I found a screaming deal on 2 lights on clearance at HD. They are 42 watt flourex. They use a remote ballast and are plenty bright. I have the veg/flower cross ventilated with 3 more 90° PVC's

I built my cooltube using ingenuity and a Pyrex baking tube and many tips I found here. The HPS reflector was also a Craigslist purchase. I had to hack it up quite a bit but the HPS socket/ballast/1 HPS bulb/2 MH Conversion bulbs/Timer was worth the $160

I have the bottom of the cab set with 7 total 1.5" PVC w/ 2-90° for passive intakes. Then I plugged the holes with air vent filters cut in neat little circles to keep the bugs and varmint out.

I still have to build a scrubber for the back. Other then the things I mentioned earlier I am very close to growing. I hope to get some clones but I may not be so lucky.

What do you think? I am open for any constructive criticism. :tiphat:

I will have more pics of my cab when the cab is finished.

Last edited:

Tatz

Jimbo420: Welcome in the Cab-club ! Your cab looks good !
Have you done a test run ? Let the cab run for a day and read temps; ambient, inlet, outlet, top of chamber, bottom of chamber, the lot.
When you are done, you´ll have a good pic of airflow/venting capacity.
What kind of scrubber do you plan on building ?
There´s a good DIY-here:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29402

I hear you on building the cab from scratch !
I was thinking the same, my next is going to be from scratch ! I´m ok with this cab, there have been a few issues with too cold ambient temps, but I´m thinking Hydro for the next cab, which would eliminate that issue.

jimbo420

I have everything but the air-cooled reflectors figured out. The shortest air cooled reflector that I have found is the 19" Cool Tube by Hydrofarm.
http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=3759http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=3759 Anyone seen a shorter air-cooled reflector? please let me know.

I have seen a few cab growers have their reflectors on a diagonal angle instead of squared up. I may have to do the something similar as space is limited. Anyone know of a shorter air cooled reflector?

There was a post from icough2getoff, that had an Uninterruptable power supply in it’s configuration that gave me an idea. What kind of interruptible power supply would be required to power an entire grow cabinet during a power outage and for how long?

This is something I will do a little more research into because the idea is intriguing and something that I think a lot of cab growers would be interested in. I think of computer server racks and I think we’ll be able to figure out the minimal requirement for full redundancy.

justanotherbozo's post about the different types of reflective materials that was very beneficial as it answered a couple of questions I had about the subject.

I promise when I'm finished with my cab I'll contribute to this thread. All of the cabinets shown in this and other threads have set the bar fairly high. Good job everyone who has posted; please continue to share your successes and failures in this thread and others because it does really help a lot of us newer folks out when starting our Cannabis independence freedoms.

Like as Moonchild stated who had stated earlier in this thread because the other “Mills Pride” thread had ended and there are still a lot of us rookies who are just getting into the whole cabinet growing arena? We can learn a tone of information from growers who are fortunately and willing shared their knowledge and experiences with the rest of us newbie’s.

This is why we have to keep this thread going. Thank you to Moonchild for starting and keeping this thread relevant to the ICMAG community. I and others just starting out really appreciate all of the first hand experiences’ and that you provide us.

With a bit of ingenuity and a tin snips you can make that 19" perfect size for your cab. I found a screaming deal on craigslist of all places on a 400w HPS ballast 1 HPS bulb, 2 MH conversion bulbs and a reflector. I bought a pyrex round baking tube widely available on ebay for $15-20. I then just imagineered a way to connect the tube to my reflector that I cut 5" off of to fit in my cab.

I am not growing yet but I am very close.

jimbo420

Jimbo420: Welcome in the Cab-club ! Your cab looks good !
Have you done a test run ? Let the cab run for a day and read temps; ambient, inlet, outlet, top of chamber, bottom of chamber, the lot.
When you are done, you´ll have a good pic of airflow/venting capacity.
What kind of scrubber do you plan on building ?
There´s a good DIY-here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29402

I hear you on building the cab from scratch !
I was thinking the same, my next is going to be from scratch ! I´m ok with this cab, there have been a few issues with too cold ambient temps, but I´m thinking Hydro for the next cab, which would eliminate that issue.

Thanks for the kind words and the DIY scrubber link. That is the one I am planning on building. My budget has dried up. Which is the reason I am not growing yet. At least I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
It's what I am using. If anyone wants more detailed pics of my cooltube/reflector design hit me up.
post up a couple pics bro, we'd ALL like to see it LOL.

here's a couple pics of mine, 2 hurricane glass chimneys
i got at a local craft store, a black rubber plumbing fitting
and a piece of wrap-around ducting for a ghetto reflector.

lol, btw, i painted the underside of the reflector with some
high-temperature white spray paint for reflectivity.

...oh, and i don't like that the rubber fitting is black but
it fits like it was made for the job and it was a real pain
finding anything even close so, i take the bad with the good!

Pinkladyeater

That is the same cool-tube that I got and the actual length was 19 3/4". I know that the extra 3/4" does not seam like much, but it made think out-side the box in order to make the light sit the direction I wanted it to.

picture.php

picture.php

I might be able to work with 19 3/4". Is that the length of the entire reflector and not just the glass tube portion? Great cab by the way too. I like the clean layout and the wiring is also nice and cleanly done. The green bulbs in the top are a good idea so you can check on your garden with the lights off as well. Oh and I also like your cat in the earlier picture you posted, a nice looking cat.

(these are great and many use them for cooltubes)

Pinkladyeater, you can also go to a local craft store and
get a hurricane glass, just a tube meant to hold a candle
and protect it from the wind.

here you can see i DIY'ed my cooltube using 2 hurricane
tubes.

also, i'd suggest you do a test run for at least a day without
any sealed reflector, maybe you can get away without
the need for an air-cooled hood.

btw, i'm glad that article was helpful to you as it was helpful
to me.

Is it tricky hocking up the wiring for the bulb's socket and getting the bulb to sit straight? I'm not the do-it-yourself type and I'm a new to building these types of things. Thank you again for sharing all this information with me, that is very generous and appreciated.

With a bit of ingenuity and a tin snips you can make that 19" perfect size for your cab. I found a screaming deal on craigslist of all places on a 400w HPS ballast 1 HPS bulb, 2 MH conversion bulbs and a reflector. I bought a pyrex round baking tube widely available on ebay for $15-20. I then just imagineered a way to connect the tube to my reflector that I cut 5" off of to fit in my cab.

I am not growing yet but I am very close.

How did you cut the Pyrex tube? I would be worried not to break or crack it, is it fragile to work with?

jimbo420

How did you cut the Pyrex tube? I would be worried not to break or crack it, is it fragile to work with?

SOrry I should have been more specific. I only cut my reflector and the bracket it is attached to. The pyrex tube is only 14". The 400w HPS and socket fit real nice in it. I will post better pictures on Friday.

For now, good night!

Pinkladyeater

SOrry I should have been more specific. I only cut my reflector and the bracket it is attached to. The pyrex tube is only 14". The 400w HPS and socket fit real nice in it. I will post better pictures on Friday.

For now, good night!

That doesn’t sound too hard to do, I was nervous about cutting the glass tube as I've never done that before. Thank you.

gdbud

Is it tricky hocking up the wiring for the bulb's socket and getting the bulb to sit straight? I'm not the do-it-yourself type and I'm a new to building these types of things. Thank you again for sharing all this information with me, that is very generous and appreciated.

I have one end of my cool-tube slip into one of three 6" holes set into the back wall of my cabinet held in place by two bolts. The cantilever end is held up by a cable sling.

picture.php

jimbo420

Pictures as promised

Pictures as promised

One bracket made from pieces of the reflector I cut of (about 5" need to be trimmed off)

2 brackets held with sheet metal screws on front side. I-bolts on each end for the chain.

Worm clamps on front and back. Brackets seen in top pictures are tucked under the clamp. Notice the same material on socket held with one more clam. There are 2 and 2 more not seen screwed to the 2 nuts on the back side of the socket. Then I have my ground wire connected to one of the same nuts. This gives it stability on all for sides. That bulb does tend to want to sag. So it is imperative you have good support. I then have small pieces of plumbers pad rubber cut and hot glued to the ends of my homemade brackets to hold on the glass better.

Notice the blue sharpie marks on the reflector as my cut line. I will remove this later.

Just a dark picture of the ducting connected to the pyrex tube.

here's a rudimentary drawing (not all pieces shown) of the 2 brackets not seen in the other pictures. They hold the socket to the cooltube using the 2 studs that come of the back of the socket. The 2 brackets are actually under the worm clamps...MS paint artist I am not :-(

Hope this helps!

Hit me up with any questions.

gdbud

jimbo, I used the wire screen out of baby gates. The spacing on the wire is 1"x2" so just remove every other wire to make it a 2"x2" opening.
garage sales are the best place to find then at.

jimbo420

jimbo, I used the wire screen out of baby gates. The spacing on the wire is 1"x2" so just remove every other wire to make it a 2"x2" opening.
garage sales are the best place to find then at.

Wow, that's a great idea. I see so many rumages this time a year, guess I will have to join the little old ladies and browes them all to find my baby gates!

How did you attach it to the PVC? Did you just use zip ties? I also want to grow more then just one type of strain. I was hoping a pure sativa then a hybrid then maybe a round of a pure indica. I here that the Scrog has to be at different heights for these. So I was hoping to make the scrog adjustable. What do you think?

mayorofthdesert

Hey, this is my kinda place! Anyone else using an incognito gun cabinet? I've had relatives stay over without much worry about my grow being discovered. If you're in my bedroom when the lights are going and the fan (up in the attic) is running you can hear it, but it's quiet enough to be unnoticeable unless you're listening for it.
picture.php

picture.php

On the current discussion: I'm also using pyrex bakearounds for cool tubes. my cabinet has two of them each holding a 150hps. It's air tight side to side except through the cooltubes so I'm using the exhaust fan to pull the air through cool tubes on the flowering side (where there's a typical intake vent) into the veg side (where threre's a more restricted intake vent) then out of the cabinet through a charcoal filter. One fan only for the cabinet & temps stay where I want with a thermostat & fiddling with the intake vents side to side. Here's some pics, there's covers over the lights on the first pic:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gdbud

I'm glad to see the Mayor's Cabinet is back up and running

Jimbo, You guest it zip ties with duct tape and zip ties you can fix and build most anything.
I don't know that you need different height for the different stains, but you do fill the screens to different levels before you switch the lights.
With a indica you would want to fill the screen about 3/4 before switching the light.
A sativa as soon a the shoots touch the screen start you 12/12 cycle.
And a hybrid it would depend on what strain it takes after.
This is all based on the amount the plant is going to stretch you get after you switch to a 12/12 cycle.

jimbo420

I'm glad to see the Mayor's Cabinet is back up and running

Jimbo, You guest it zip ties with duct tape and zip ties you can fix and build most anything.
I don't know that you need different height for the different stains, but you do fill the screens to different levels before you switch the lights.
With a indica you would want to fill the screen about 3/4 before switching the light.
A sativa as soon a the shoots touch the screen start you 12/12 cycle.
And a hybrid it would depend on what strain it takes after.
This is all based on the amount the plant is going to stretch you get after you switch to a 12/12 cycle.

I have so many articles and other websites I get info from and I read somewhere about starting flower at different heighst for different strains. I'll take your word for it though.

I am glad I got 2 MH conversion bulbs with my light. I was thinking of throwing them on ebay but now I think I will use them. I originally intended to veg in my veg chamber them move to flower 12/12. But now I will just keep veg for clones and mother and veg to desired height in my flower chamber with my MH bulbs (18/6 or 20/4). I read some sleep helps growth better then full 24 on veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts