Votes: 34 54.0%
  • I've grown Serious Seeds Bubblegum, and I did not find the smell

Votes: 16 25.4%

• Total voters

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOTE: This poll is a multiple choice poll, means you can make more than one choice.

I've been doing some research tonight on that famous strain called Bubblegum. Of course, I'm interested in finding info on buzz qualities and plant growth patterns and yields, etc., but I can work with variations in all of these categories and still be happy.

What I REALLY want to know, though, is what breeder will give me the greatest chance of finding that classic sweet bubblegum smell the strain is named after. And, I'm only interested in the IBL's (gonna do some p-chucking down the road), so I'm only going to include the strains of BG that I know to be IBL, THSeeds and Serious Seeds. I was kinda surprised to see that given the dozens of threads about the BG smell, nobody has done a poll yet to keep track of all the answers of people who have grown the varieties of this strain.

You need not have experience with both, I just want to know what you found out with the strain you've grown. No need to leave a comment, but please do if you can (this will keep the poll active near the top of the forum page), and if you can leave info about other strains where you happened to find that smell, that would be food for thought as well.

fabvariousk

Veteran
I grew used to grow bogglegum and all the plants smelled like bubblegum in veg and tasted like it when smoked.
I am not experienced with Serious or THSeeds but I have never smoked a bubblegum in Amsterdam that tasting like bubblegum.
As far as the high it was superb. It was my up indica!
Super positive and the ladies love everything about it.
My cut was ripe in 45 days and that was cool as well.
fk

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Fab...

Yeah, I'm interested in the bogglegum as well, always good reports, but I think that I always seem to imagine the buzz being medicinally knock-out potent because Bog's sourbubble is that way, I'm wanting a more giggly up buzz than a knockout buzz.

i grew 3 bubblegum clones, that a got from a friend, One of them during flowering had a really amazing bubblegum smell nice dense bubbly looking nugs, i got almost 2oz's per plant, and i made alot of mistakes, city water being my first =/. ( i knew better thought i could let it sit out had on week rotation didnt work was killing my soil., anyways The better of the plants i let flower a little longer it produced nice, light dark brown buds coverd in hairs, nice dense buds, the other 2 plants combanation of fert fail and water, fail the bud wasnt as good, still made some chonic butter, i saved the good bud for myself, got the top nug left, I would post some pics if i could figure this stupid site out i try to upload pics smaller thant he limit still doesnt work.

anyways for new grower, cant go wrong, nice stoney weed hard to kill the plant.

Oh, is amazing looking during flowring i have some really good pics, need to get a couple up

fabvariousk

Veteran
Sounds like you would love the bogglegum.
It has a great daytime, almost sativa-like buzz.
Do you consider White Label's Double Gum to be a contender.
That is where BOG got Bogglegum.
imho the place to start for real bubblegum flavor.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh shit...is the White Label version an IBL too? Damn if it is! I didn't see White label mentioned that way, but if it is it should be in this poll.

EDIT: I went to White Labels site and they didn't say anything about their offering, now called Doublegum, that it was an IBL, so I'm guessing it isn't. Not sure if they changed the genetics from the time that Bog got his 'gums going.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That would be an interesting conversation, starts with the question, "Why did Bog choose to go with the White Label strain instead of the more well-known Serious and TH?" It would seem that White Label got their initial genetics from one of those two. But I'm just making a wild guess on that. One thing seems certain....the original gum came from Indiana, and was distributed to 3 different guys in Holland. Did one of these guys go off and start the White Label seed company?

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
I thought TH lost his breeders & clones and had to track the genetics down somewhere else to restock?

also g13 labs blueberry gum smells nice, only two months in and is definitely a bubble gum dominate pheno

B

Blue

The best bubblegum I have grown came from Nirvanna & cost nothing! smell & taste as well as yiled all for $20.

Baba Ku

Veteran
When a line is inbred, it will continue to be that inbred line until it is outcrossed.
When multiple breeders have a strain for sale, say like BG, it is not an issue of one being an IBL and the other not being an IBL. They are both IBL's, and the differences that may be seen have to do with the selection of the plants made by the particular breeder.
BOG's bogglegum is as much a BG IBL as is TH or Simons, or White Labels's for that matter.

Now outcross the line, say like BOG did by breeding his BG IBL to an afghan kush, and you end up with something besides an IBL bubblegum. You now have a bubblegum cross. In BOG's case you end up with Sourbubble...in others case they ended up with Bubba Kush...which was BOG's intent to begin with I think.

Now I will say this....I have never ever, not even one time, try as hard as I may, ever gotten high from the smell of weed. Not once. You?
Now, it may sell a bag or two...but those who are into selling for a living wouldn't be placing a poll like this to begin with.
And it may gain you some cred with the homies....but that is about it.
Choose a BG from a reputable breeder and start your own selection process. The smells you seek are in the genetic map of all of the BG's, it's just that some have continued the IBL line by selecting different phenotypes than the next guy. Some are looking for a super duper smell, others select for good buzz.
:dunno:

Now, taking all this into account makes the poll a bit lacking.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah....ok, I'm pretty certain, judging by your post, that you don't understand what an IBL is. Not all offerings of BG are IBL's. An IBL has to result in offspring that are basically indistinguishable from the parent in particular chosen phenotypes. Any line that results in offspring that have even a small amount of variation in the progeny would not be considered an IBL. Variation is a very common trait in most of the strains in the seed catalog.

To get a strain to be an IBL takes a lot of work, and most breeders don't bother going to that trouble. And, if you want to do any kind of breeding, you really must work with an IBL line that you can count on certain desirable traits being there all the time.

Given all the extra work an IBL requires to develop, any breeder going to this trouble will certainly let the buyer know about this, if only as a marketing tool to sell his wares. If you look at the seed catalogs, there are few strains that are advertised as being IBL...because most breeders don't go to the trouble.

The remainder of your scolding post is meaningless to me and isn't worth responding to.

WelderDan

Veteran
The most bubblegummy plant I've grown was mexi-shwag. What a monster it was, and it smelled and tasted just like bubblegum.

Baba Ku

Veteran
Yeah....ok, I'm pretty certain, judging by your post, that you don't understand what an IBL is. Not all offerings of BG are IBL's. An IBL has to result in offspring that are basically indistinguishable from the parent in particular chosen phenotypes. Any line that results in offspring that have even a small amount of variation in the progeny would not be considered an IBL. Variation is a very common trait in most of the strains in the seed catalog.

To get a strain to be an IBL takes a lot of work, and most breeders don't bother going to that trouble. And, if you want to do any kind of breeding, you really must work with an IBL line that you can count on certain desirable traits being there all the time.

Given all the extra work an IBL requires to develop, any breeder going to this trouble will certainly let the buyer know about this, if only as a marketing tool to sell his wares. If you look at the seed catalogs, there are few strains that are advertised as being IBL...because most breeders don't go to the trouble.

The remainder of your scolding post is meaningless to me and isn't worth responding to.
You really shouldn't have responded at all..that way you wouldn't look so goddamn ignorant.
But for entertainments sake, suppose you provide us with the offerings of BG that are not IBL? And how did they get to the status of non-IBL? Please explain this in detail. The platitude bullshit you have provided was great, if you are writing some bullshit canna bible or something with the expectation of the readers being clueless.

I wasn't scolding you, I was simply discussing things and using facts.
Kids need to get their heads out of their asses and stop being so goddamn defensive. Any disagreement with them, and you are an enemy it seems.

bakelite

When a line is inbred, it will continue to be that inbred line until it is outcrossed.
When multiple breeders have a strain for sale, say like BG, it is not an issue of one being an IBL and the other not being an IBL. They are both IBL's, and the differences that may be seen have to do with the selection of the plants made by the particular breeder.
BOG's bogglegum is as much a BG IBL as is TH or Simons, or White Labels's for that matter.

Now outcross the line, say like BOG did by breeding his BG IBL to an afghan kush, and you end up with something besides an IBL bubblegum. You now have a bubblegum cross. In BOG's case you end up with Sourbubble...in others case they ended up with Bubba Kush...which was BOG's intent to begin with I think.

Now, taking all this into account makes the poll a bit lacking.

Bog Bubble is BOG's bubblegum IBL. Bogglegum is not an IBL as it was outcrossed to NL. From everything that I have read Bubba Kush has no Bubblegum in it.

I have 5 THS bubblegum going right now, 3 fems and 2 males (all from seed) about 2.5 weeks into flower (first grow). I dont notice a bubblegum smell to any of them at this point, but they are all very uniform in appearance.

edit
Now, ~25 days into flowering, I noticed that at least 2 of them are starting to get the sweet smell.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Baba,

Why don't you start by giving a definition of IBL? That was my criticism of your initial point, that you don't seem to understand what an IBL is. After doing a bunch of reading on the board, I understood IBL to mean what I posted in reply to your post, and as far as I can tell by looking at the seed catalogs, the term IBL isn't found very frequently at all, for the reason that I put into my post.

How am I looking ignorant? I posted the information I found on this board, in some detail. Compared to you I posted something much more filled with facts. And how you work the word platitude into your post sure baffles me. And the last part of your post was condescending and critical to the point of suggesting the poll has absolutely no merit.

The part where you called me a kid kind of wraps it up nicely, what in my post suggested to you that I am a kid? I've been surfing this board quite a few years, and I'd bet ya I'm at least 10 years older than you, maybe 20.

But leaving that all in the past, and to help me understand the world of cannabis better, I would be interested in how you define IBL. So far, it still seems to me that you don't know what an IBL is, nothing personal, just seems that what you have posted doesn't match up with what I've been reading on IC Mag.

Latest posts

Latest posts