What's new

The best mini-split ductless heat pump/ac models list

Rolldaddy

Fellas,

I didn't see it on the list but fedders makes good mini splits as well. I bought one last year. 24000 btu 18 seer. The only thing with it is if you are located somewhere that's gets cold you will need to add a low ambient kit so that it can cool inside if freezing outside. I know a place that makes the low ambient kits specifically made for mini splits for $250. So PM me if anyone needs the info

Also for any of you looking to purchase a mini split check out heatandcool.com. They have lowest prices ive seen with free delivery. They sell most brands but I purchased my 24000btu unit for $1050 + 200 for installation kit + 250 for the low ambient kit. So all in for 1500.

transamracer

Hey guys i'm looking to purchase a Fujitsu mini-split online that ships to Canada............ Anyone know of any good reliable online sites that Icould order from? Any info would be great!! Thanks

T

TribalSeeds

How accurate are the yearly operating costs?
I notice the freidrich breeze small is $74 a year to operate and the large is $140. They are both rated at 18seer.
Would there be much of a savings using two 20seer units instead of a larger unit that was only 18 seer?
Most of the AC installers here on the site say that using smaller units together is more effecient, but Im wondering how much if any with the 12-24btu units.
If just running the main components makes up a good portion of the costs, maybe only the larger units would show much of a benefit since they typically arent rated as high as the 12-24btu units?

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
OK, my short dance with geothermal is over for now. Back to the mini-split. Looking at the units listed on page one (what an effort. Thanks Stonefree ), are the prices just the outside unit, or an assumed one inside unit as well. For example, I'm looking at a Fujitsu Halcyon AOU24CL1 24,000 cool only 10.5 EER 18 SEER ~$1884. Is that just the exterior unit?
All the mini-splits listed are for both the outside unit and 1 indoor unit.

Fellas,

I didn't see it on the list but fedders makes good mini splits as well. I bought one last year. 24000 btu 18 seer. The only thing with it is if you are located somewhere that's gets cold you will need to add a low ambient kit so that it can cool inside if freezing outside. I know a place that makes the low ambient kits specifically made for mini splits for $250. So PM me if anyone needs the info

Also for any of you looking to purchase a mini split check out heatandcool.com. They have lowest prices ive seen with free delivery. They sell most brands but I purchased my 24000btu unit for $1050 + 200 for installation kit + 250 for the low ambient kit. So all in for 1500.
Those are excellent prices, just make sure you're getting an inverter model as they're more efficient and reliable. You can tell from the models specs if you're getting a low ambient unit or not as the temp should go down to 5 degrees F or so.

cant decide between

18,000 Btu Klimaire 13 SEER Ductless Mini split Heat Pump Air Conditioner 220 V $939 heatandcool.com

or

Friedrich M18CF
18,000 BTU Single Zone Wall-Mounted Ductless Split System with Advanced Inverter Technology, LCD Wireless Remote and 415 CFM Room Air Circulation (MW18C3F Indoor /MR18C3F Outdoor) $1481 ajmadison.com

Is the friedrich a better unit. any suggestions or other brands/deals?

what would you recommend? Does a higher seer rating mean that the unit will save me money in electricity over time because of better energy effeciency?

when the minisplits are not cooling does a fan keep running or does it cut power to the fan?

i am thankful for any help i can get.

I think either unit will work that you posted, but yes a higher seer rating will save you on electricity to run it.
For every 1 seer is 10% in efficiency. The minimum for new models is 10 I believe. So in other words a 18 seer is 80% more efficient than a 10 seer model. Really adds up over time.

I'd look for something around 18 seer and I'd get one with quick connects. Make sure you get the low ambient kit if you are in a climate with cold winters and that your line set is long enough so you won't have to braze.

Depends on the unit what mode it goes into when there is no call for cooling. My has a setting that I use that goes into denied mode when there is no call for cooling, so it helps my denies during lights off

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
For every 1 seer is 10% in efficiency. The minimum for new models is 10 I believe.
Minimum is 13 SEER nowadays to meet govt standards. I know EER has a linear relationship (BTUs/watts), SEER is calculated differently. If you just want cooling (no heat pump), look at the EER ratings.

Is the friedrich a better unit. any suggestions or other brands/deals?
The Friedrich M18CF is 19 SEER, much more efficient than the Kilmaire's 13 SEER. If you can get that, it should have a pretty quick payback vs the Kilmaire as well. Panasonic (formerly Sanyo) also makes very good units and are priced lower than most other top Japanese makers.

Rolldaddy

At heatandcool they have a fedders 24000 btu 18 seer for a good price but you will need a low ambient kit the sell for 130

trumpy

Great thread!

Thanks for the list stonefree. It will save me from buying an ideal air out of the hydro catalog that is half as efficient as many on this list.

I have a question regarding the dehumidification properties of these mini-splits. They seem to all have a dehumidify only mode. How does this work exactly? Can they provide dehumidification without cooling? Are they at all effective at this function?

Thanks,
Joe

Rolldaddy

If you switch the mode to dehumidify it does that without cooling. But keep in mind while ac's are cooling they are taking moister out of the air while they are cooling.

farmari

I wonder how they dehumidify without cooling. I mean, I thought dehumidifiers worked the same way as air conditioners, except with the condenser inside rather than placed outdoors?

farmari

guys can somebody please explain what a mini split a.c is?is it just another name for a portable a.c? and what does that mean duct-less?dont you have to vent the hot air somewhere?like what are the uses of a mini split,

for example,i have a sealed closet,with a small lg window a.c in the side,would a mini split be better for me?

http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/ductless-mini-split-heat-pumps

A mini split is kind of like a central air conditioner, except instead of connecting to central ducting, it has an indoor unit mounted on a wall that blows air. Portable ACs are a lot different.

"Ductless" as in there are no ducts, no venting. The system is 'split' between an outdoor unit and an indoor unit. Refrigerant pipes connect the two, to make a loop. The refrigerant loses its heat in the outdoor unit, and cold refrigerant travels through the pipe to the indoor unit, which has a fan blowing the room's air over the pipe, cooling the air while warming the refrigerant.

The benefits AFAIK is a very high efficiency, good reliability, ease of use. Disadvantages are the initial cost, installation, and having an outdoor condenser outside somewhere.

Where is the back end of your window AC? I mean is the AC mounted through a wall to another room, or mounted on a window?

GrowItOut

guys can somebody please explain what a mini split a.c is?is it just another name for a portable a.c? and what does that mean duct-less?dont you have to vent the hot air somewhere?like what are the uses of a mini split,

for example,i have a sealed closet,with a small lg window a.c in the side,would a mini split be better for me?
Google search for: define "Mini-split air conditioner"
Definition: Ductless mini-split air conditioners are air conditioning systems that provide cooling to one or more rooms. They incorporate the use of a condenser unit that is placed outside the home, with refrigerant and electrical lines that go through the exterior wall to connect to one or more compact, wall-mounted cooling units (zones) inside the home.

Unlike portable or window air conditioners, ductless mini-split systems are considered a permanent fixture, require professional installation and a larger investment. They are however, cheaper to install and less intrusive than central air, which uses the homes duct system and are much more expensive to put in. Ductless mini-split air conditioners can actually be more efficient because they cool only the rooms where you locate and need them so there is no energy wasted, compared to central air which cools the whole home, including unused areas. Ductless mini-split air conditioning systems usually have one, two or more zones and in some cases, you can start small with one or two room units and grow your cooling network. Learn the differences between a window air conditioner and a ductless mini-split system.
There are some stark differences between a window air conditioner and a ductless mini-split air conditioning system, but understanding the unique features and constraints of each type, can help you to decide which is best for your home.

Window Air Conditioners

This is probably the most popular type of air conditioner for many reasons, but it may not be the best choice in terms of efficiency, convenience and versatility. Its best features include price - window models are the most affordable and the easiest to install. Although you usually need help installing one due to the bulky design, you can often get one functioning without having to pay for professional help, simply by following instructions. Operation is simple and you can find models that have a quieter design or other convenience features.

On the down side, a window air conditioner must be positioned in a window and that means less light and view to the outdoors. The air conditioner must be rightly sized to the window opening and you have to give some consideration to how the remaining (open) gap around the air conditioner will be filled. Some use wood to fill in the space, but this reduces visibility even more; others use a form of transparent polycarbonate glass. Keep in mind that there is a security risk with a window air conditioner. There isn't much holding it in there and removal from the outside (depending where it is located) could provide an easy unwanted entry to some.

Rolldaddy

Sweets, mini split are used to cool rooms. I've never seen one used for a closet unless maybe a real big walk in closet with several lights in it. Hope that helps

Rolldaddy

As for the dehumidifier setting. Yes you can set a mini split just to dehumidify. Mini splits like other ac's are constantly dehumidifying the air they are cooling. The more time the compressor runs the more is will be dehumidifying.