What's new

The best mini-split ductless heat pump/ac models list

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Well azsupratt, I'm squeezing 12,000 BTU (rated 350-500 sqft) into a 135 sqft grow room attached to my house but exchanging the air about 1 time every 2 minutes (1 745 cfm pulling air out up high and another pushing at the room intake down low). So essential my whole house is involved (single floor square footprint).

If you're exchanging air in a similar way w/that 25 sqft tent then with your loads it should be ok. If that tent is sealed off then not, as the space is too small for cycling. IDK, my house is like an efficient "bird lung" room? I have 2,400 watts of lights to cool, you have about 2,000 watts, so if you can integrate the tent into more space like I'm integrating my small room, you should be ok. But it's loads + space needed to cool that would help determine BTU sizing. Sorry if I confused you a bit.

My 8" outtake fan has a carbon filter attached to help w/odors. Also I'm using 4-600 watt vertical hung bare bulbs.

azsupratt

Gotcha on the sizing. Do you think it would be possible to slip the 9k in there? I'm just having a hell of a time figuring co2 to work with gavita lighting since none if it has glass or air cooled but the PAR is to hard to pass up on. Thanks for all the input =) Money is no option either I just want it right.

G

Guest 18340

You could probably get away with a 5k btu portable in a tent that small.
Also, you're going to be going thru a lot of co2 in a tent. Theirs no way it's sealed enough to hold it in.

Stonefree69

Veteran
Well azsupratt, with the 12,000 BTU you can turn the fan speed down as it most likely has multiple speed option (the LGs high SEER have 4 speeds). You'll also be sized right in case you want to expand. Not sure on efficiency w/lower settings, some say lower some say higher.

I think the rule of thumb for lighting and BTUs is 3-6,000 BTU/kw for bare bulb and 2-4,000 BTU/kw for air cooled lights. The higher BTUs being more ideal.

Stonefree69

Veteran
WHOOHOO, now I can edit posts! :D :cool: Stand back, attack of the typos! Just updated the mini-split list in 1st post. Members can let me know of any other decent brands as well as LG. I'll also try to include models up to 24,000 BTU (2 tons).

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lg has recently added two new models, a 9k btu 28 seer and a 12k btu 26 seer.
On those two models LG has upped the warranty to match that of Mitsubishi, 5 years parts 7 years compressor.
I myself run a Mitsubishi and an LG.
Fujitsu will not honor a warranty on an internet bought unit, so beware.
Daikin's are hard to get in the U.S. but I'm slowly starting to find them. They are waaaaaay over priced and, imho, inferior to Mitsubishi.
Anyways, I would definitely put LG on that list.
will any manufacturers warranty a unit if you are not an hvac tech or company ?

Stonefree69

Veteran
OK, just updated the list to include all models of mini-splits for each manufacturer (up to 36,000 BTU or 3 tons). Daikin really surprised me, they do have models with very high SEER/EER ratings and their prices are more competitive from other reputable shopping sites I found. Their Quaternity line is super efficient and is more expensive though. ecomfort.com was the site I formerly got prices on Daikin models but another site was way lower and had newer models. That's weird because ecomfort.com's other models from LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic and Fujitsu are among the lowest on the net, except Daikin.

And Galahad, you most likely have to get a HVAC tech or licensed person to install as I haven't found any DIY options myself from any maker that lets you do that (not yet at least). I heard in many cases it's pretty easy to install like say by a DIYer or handyman but I guess the makers want to make sure the lines are charged correctly and everything is set up right. It does sort of make sense, as the unit is intended to operate for years on a good amount of power. Sort of an environmental thing. I'm just going to make my grow room look normal between grow cycles (luckily I can) and say the room (which faces the hot afternoon sun) gets super hot in summer, needs supplemental cooling. ;)

Stonefree69

Veteran
That's a good price for a 3 ton. My Rheem's STILL going after 32 years here in the Arizona desert (needed just one visit a few years back, a booster circuit). I'll look into them, thanks watts! :D

G

Guest 18340

will any manufacturers warranty a unit if you are not an hvac tech or company ?
No.
But even if you're a tech Fujitsu won't warranty the unit if it's bought online. Mitsu, LG, etc, will warranty an online bought unit ONLY if it's installed by a tech.
Believe me when I tell you Galahad, mini splits are very easy to install IF you have general mechanical sense and a few pieces of equipment that can be bought online.
And they're cheap enough that I don't worry about repairing one if it breaks down.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No.
But even if you're a tech Fujitsu won't warranty the unit if it's bought online. Mitsu, LG, etc, will warranty an online bought unit ONLY if it's installed by a tech.
Believe me when I tell you Galahad, mini splits are very easy to install IF you have general mechanical sense and a few pieces of equipment that can be bought online.
And they're cheap enough that I don't worry about repairing one if it breaks down.
I have installed or repaired a few hundred mini splits and I agree most anyone can install 1 properly if they have the proper tools. The biggest problem out there is some say they are plug and play which just isn't so. I always try to help fellow growers if they ask for help :tiphat:

Stonefree69

Veteran
OK just did an update. I agree about requiring a HVAC tech for install and warranty, if you or someone you know can install it correctly and make SURE it's working right you should be OK. Some growers have no choice.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Can you add some cheaper high ton mitsubishis to the list? I'm pretty sure they make 2.5 - 3.5 ton cheaper than $6k. Might be coolnig only, but would be nice to have on the list.

Stonefree69

Veteran
OK watts, I'll look into the selection. But yes they do have cheaper models in ac and heat pump of similar BTU ratings.

I caught wind of a plug and play unit a few weeks ago on here. The Friedrich Breeze. This one can be detached and taken with someone if they move. The lines click on to the units, apparently without loss of vacuum or refrigerant. Sounds like a viable option for a few guys/gals looking to avoid HVAC tech visits.

Stonefree69

Veteran
Just added 10 more cool only units + 5 heat pumps from Mitsubishi that are cheaper for same BTU. To be fair will list same for other brands on list. Some of the bigger Mitsubishi models that are cool only or slightly less EER are a lot cheaper, so I have to thank watts for bringing this up. Cool only models highlighted in blue to see easier.

ItGrowsHerb: I'll look into the Friedrich Breeze and other models. I wonder how they are along w/Frigidaire? I don't think Rheem makes mini-splits or I'd include them as well. After all the Rheem ac I have is 32 years old and still going (albeit a SEER of 7).

the gnome

Veteran
big thanks for taking time to compile this list stonefree :good:

is there any difference between the top list and the bottom?
and for the ones that have the inverter, is that on older models?
or just some do and some don't?

btw,
is there a thread that lists ac btu's for x amount of 1000w lamps?
vented and unvented?
I looked at the sticky i this forum but didn't quite see what I was looking for,
maybe I missed it.

be nice if a btu to lamp wattage list was compiled like this one for the top end mini splits

Last edited:

Stonefree69

Veteran
Hey the gnome, they are all inverter models, seems that most of them are nowadays at least for good mini-splits.

The top list has identical makes, models, watts, BTU, EER, SEER and prices as the bottom list. Models just are listed differently, 1st list alphabetically by make/model and the 2nd by BTUs that you need to cool with, from 8,500 to 36,000. Think I'll add this in so not to confuse!

I think unvented bulbs it's 3,000 BTU minimum up to 6,000 BTUs/1,000 watts.
Vented it's 2,000 BTU minimum up to 4,000 BTUs/1,000 watts.

Personally for 4 x 600 watt hids I'm looking at a 12,000 BTU heat pump so that's 5,000 BTUs/1,000 watts. Like I said I have my house ac as supplementary but it's only about 7 SEER. If my house ac was a more efficient newer model I might have looked at the 9,000 BTU heat pumps.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just added 10 more cool only units + 5 heat pumps from Mitsubishi that are cheaper for same BTU. To be fair will list same for other brands on list. Some of the bigger Mitsubishi models that are cool only or slightly less EER are a lot cheaper, so I have to thank watts for bringing this up. Cool only models highlighted in blue to see easier.

ItGrowsHerb: I'll look into the Friedrich Breeze and other models. I wonder how they are along w/Frigidaire? I don't think Rheem makes mini-splits or I'd include them as well. After all the Rheem ac I have is 32 years old and still going (albeit a SEER of 7).
Rheem has a branded mini spilt but it is made in Korea. Replaced a compressor in a Rheem branded unit last week that is 6 years old.

G

Guest 18340

I have installed or repaired a few hundred mini splits and I agree most anyone can install 1 properly if they have the proper tools. The biggest problem out there is some say they are plug and play which just isn't so. I always try to help fellow growers if they ask for help :tiphat:
Yeah, I've noticed a good bit of that going on. "Plug and play" but they leave out the fact that the line set must be vacuumed.
On a side note, spent the afternoon working on a Fedders 22 seer 9k btu. Bad indoor pc board keeps blowing it's tiny 3.15A fuse. New pc board costs $400, half of what a whole AC unit cost...

Latest posts

Latest posts