• Yes!

Votes: 36 67.9%
  • No, not me!

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I don't remember.

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

White Beard

What are you talking about, You think that is the best advice where on icmag? do you watch movies? You should watch pineapple express or this is the end. IMO the mainstream believes in legalization, doctors and lawyers smoke pot and many presidents have admitted to have smoked pot before, whether they inhaled or not. last i heard about the polling over 67% believe in legalization, thats a majority.
If you think ‘the majority’ runs this country, allow me to introduce you to the Republican Party and public-choice “economics”.

Amynamous

Other bills have recently been introduced, including that States Rights cannabis bill. One way or another, I suspect that legalization is coming. I believe that the Federal govt will allow each state to choose it’s own destiny. Some states may allow you to grow your own(with limitations) and other states may not. I look forward to the day that dispensaries will be available to everyone, and not just the lucky few. I look forward to the day that i won’t have to worry about peeing in a cup for a job. I look forward to the day that i won’t have to live in fear, or hide something that i enjoy so much.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
You will not get CBD without purchasing the FDA approved products in the not so distant future.

I ask, can you buy other drugs legally without FDA approval???
No it is impossible to do.
Why would you think you would be able to do it all of a sudden.

All drugs must be FDA approved!
This is not debatable, not one bit!:)

so you can tell the future? don't you ever get tired of running in circles squalling "THE SKY IS FALLING!" :) there are thousands of herbal supplements & over the counter drugs available. CBD will be among them, as it already is here. NY is only stopping it as additives to food & drink because (they say) it has not yet been proven safe. LOL. NY has not yet been proven safe.:biggrin: but we all know that CBD IS safe, and testing will bear that out. as long as they market it as a herbal supplement, (hint-STOP CALLING IT A DRUG!) without claiming it will "cure" anything, the wheels on the bus will go round & round. EVERYTHING is debatable regardless of your state of panic...:laughing:

Maximus50

Of course they don't have control over it YET; they just proposed the bill.:asskick:
The point is that they want to control it and they will control it. That's why they proposed the bill.
The federal government doesn't deserve any tax money from marijuana; ever! Stop thinking that it's normal that every level of government DESERVES to get money from every transaction. Local governments think they deserve a cut, county governments want their cut, state governments want their cut and now the federal government thinks they deserve a cut. They don't. Can't you see it's a big racket?
All this bill will do is jack up the prices on marijuana products even further and it will take more control out of the hands of citizens. You can also forget about being allowed to grow your own; the fed will never allow that.
They will also probably ban concentrates too. The federal government will add so many levels of regulation that the price to bring marijuana to market will escalate.
Stop thinking that being a good little conformist to the establishment is a good thing. The establishment just wants your money, it wants to take away your freedoms and it wants to control you.

Couldn’t have said it better. It’s all about money and control.

Greenthumber

I’m all for decriminalizing but in no way will I vote Yes to something that is going to ban me from Growing my own cannabis. The way the bill is written is just bad news for most of us here in the aspect of doing what we love

Drewsif

My grandmother farmed for 70 years without a tomatoe or a corn permit. A true rebel. She also fished. Not sure if she had a license for that.

It all boils down to: what will production and retail licensing cost at different levels, and will unlimited permits be issued? The states will decide. Guarantee Cali won't be cheap or easy.

The medical connotations seems like a probable back door into further regulation. Lawyers are gonna have fun with this one. You know, breath mints have to be sold as candy to avoid strict regulations that come with other connotations.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
My grandmother farmed for 70 years without a tomatoe or a corn permit. A true rebel. She also fished. Not sure if she had a license for that.

no permit required ANYWHERE to farm, unless you are running a commercial greenhouse etc. eat it, or trade/give it to neighbors/relatives, no problem. in TN, fishing license depends on where you fish, how old you are, what bait you use, and what you are fishing for. not a rebel, just a normal citizen...unless she was growing weed or opium poppies, lol.:) "tomato":tiphat:

OregonBorn

I’m all for decriminalizing but in no way will I vote Yes to something that is going to ban me from Growing my own cannabis. The way the bill is written is just bad news for most of us here in the aspect of doing what we love

You will never be able to vote on legal weed at the US federal level. Unless you are a member of congress. You will only (maybe) be able to vote on weed at the state level or below that. Just the way that it works in the states.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to have a nursery license to sell plant material. The government doesn't use it for oppression, its just a method to trace back problems with diseases/insects. I guess its similar when talking about cannabis. Mold inspections, proper labeling, other consumer issues would be what needs to be improved.

This Week's Stories:
NORML in the Media:
<article> Legislation would make marijuana legal in Illinois and treat it ‘how we treat alcohol’

</article>
<section id="article-details-share"> By Rebecca Anzel and

Peter Hancock

February 14, 2019 05:00 AM,

Updated February 14, 2019 01:19 PM

</section>
https://www.bnd.com/latest-news/art...&email_subject=norml-news-of-the-week-2212019

Springfield Attention at the Statehouse is expected to begin focusing on one of Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s top priorities — legalizing recreational marijuana.
State Rep. Carol Ammons, a Democrat from Urbana, has introduced a bill that is drawing attention. It would open the door to a much more expansive legal pot industry than most others have envisioned. The deadline to introduce new bills is Friday.

Ammons’ bill, the “Cannabis Legalization Equity Act,” would allow anyone 21 or older with valid identification to purchase or sell marijuana. Driving under the influence of the drug would still be illegal, and the legislation makes specific mention that only “legitimate, taxpaying business people” would be permitted to sell cannabis.
Illinoisans, under the measure, could possess as many as 224 grams, or roughly half a pound, of marijuana at a time. It would also allow individuals to grow as many as 24 plants in their own homes for personal consumption, and it would provide for the licensing of cultivation facilities and retail dispensaries.
Your All Access subscription is waiting!

Enjoy 92% off your first month of digital access when you finish signing up today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW
#ReadLocal

Ammons did not respond to requests for comment for this story. Her measure includes language, though, indicating its purpose would be to allow “law enforcement to focus on violent and property crimes, generating revenue for education and other public purposes, and individual freedom.”

“We like it. We think that that’s more in line with how we treat alcohol,” said Dan Linn, who lobbies for the Illinois chapter of NORML — the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. “We also think it would be good for consumers to be able to cultivate their own cannabis, as well as to have a cap on the licensing fees for the new businesses that would be created by that legislation.
Ammons’ proposal, which has not yet been assigned to a committee, includes a civil penalty, not a criminal one, of $200 to $400 for minors who attempt to buy marijuana illegally.
Also in the bill is a requirement that at least 51 percent of the licenses for cultivating facilities and retail cannabis stores be issued, “in communities disproportionately harmed by the war on drugs,” which the bill defines as census tracts in which more than half the population is African-American, Native American, Hispanic or Latino.
The bill also would authorize medical researchers to use cannabis in studies, as long as the participants are at least 21 years old.
Revenue for the state would be generated by a 10 percent excise tax on the sale or transfer of marijuana from a cultivating facility to a retail store. Half of that money would be paid into the state’s main checking account, while 30 percent would go to the Common School Fund.

Smaller percentages of the revenue would be distributed to various state retirement systems; the Department of Human Services to fund treatment programs for tobacco, alcohol and cannabis abuse; and to the Department of State police for hiring and training drug recognition efforts.
There is no official estimate of how much revenue the bill would generate.
Linn said NORML will have a lobbying day at the Statehouse on Wednesday, Feb. 20, the same day Pritzker is scheduled to give his budget address to the Legislature. And with Pritzker’s backing of legalization, Linn said he thinks there is a good chance something will pass this year.
“I think there’s a strong push to make it happen as quickly as possible so that we can create these jobs and bring in this needed revenue,” he said.
Still, any effort toward legalization is certain to meet resistance. The Illinois Catholic Conference recently announced its opposition to legalization. Law enforcement groups including the Chicago Crime Commission and the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police have also said they will oppose such a measure, as has the Drug Free America Foundation.

The legislation is House Bill 902.
Capital News Illinois covers developments in the General Assembly and is a service of the Illinois Press Association.

<hr>

rolandomota

Veteran
Catholics in Illinois are like "hey drink booze weed is evil" also at the fed level don't get your hopes up nothing will come if this 420 bill

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Legalisation isn't about human rights. It's about money, and they won't make any from us growing our own. What they want to exploit is the medical aspects, which couldn't be denied forever. The recreational dollar is ok, but people facing death will really pay. I see a future where pills that won't get you high are taxed to death, and allowable with a prescription from the doctor. Separating them from the recreational market, which could be regulated very differently. With nothing licensed for prescription use that can get you high. Creating two quite different industries, that don't share legislation.

I think the prison system profits a number of families in power. They won't want to let people go, just because the law changed. They are still going to sit in jail for being law breakers. No matter if it becomes legal, they still broke the law. A situation that can't be undone.
I hope they stop chasing people not yet convicted though. Especially people of different nationalities. Which broke no law applicable in their own country, and now non in America. Hauling them before a court and nailing them for something that wasn't a crime where they lived, and is no longer a crime in that court, seems like it would really upset international relations. Speaking directly of Gypsy, The UK would be well pissed off if the states grabbed him from foreign shores and took him back for a crime that no longer exists. We don't want to hand him over, even while it is illegal. The US should really tell him he was a naughty boy, but hay, it's not illegal now. So you can't do it again. There is no lesson to learn. But have a fine you must pay before you come back. That ought to make everybody happy.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I think the prison system profits a number of families in power. They won't want to let people go, just because the law changed. They are still going to sit in jail for being law breakers. No matter if it becomes legal, they still broke the law. A situation that can't be undone.

so, please explain the states that are retroactively erasing folks' records for weed crimes, and those easing the way for expungement also. only thing that cannot be undone is the death penalty...:biggrin:

shaggyballs

Veteran
so, please explain the states that are retroactively erasing folks' records for weed crimes, and those easing the way for expungement also. only thing that cannot be undone is the death penalty...:biggrin:

It has no medicinal value.
It is worse than heroin.
So many lies were put forth to make cannabis illegal.

The govt. just needs to come clean and say we lied to you all these years.
The truth is out, there is no way to deny it.

Whole countries have legalized it.

So tell me again why the fuck are people still being jailed for cannabis.

Just end the madness already.
We dont need a dam law to tell us this sort of thing is wrong.
We don't need permission to do what is right either.

Cops and judges are sellin' weed, meanwhile billy burnout is rotting in prison for doing the same....WTF
Why cant we let all them motherfuckers out today?
They have been improsoned under false pretenses so let them the hell out now!

Why can this not be done right away.
It really is a joke.
We have ex-DEA selling weed in CO. but we cant expunge a weed crime.
I think we need to demand this action be taken by our govt now.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
It has no medicinal value.
It is worse than heroin.
So many lies were put forth to make cannabis illegal.

The govt. just needs to come clean and say we lied to you all these years.
The truth is out, there is no way to deny it.

Whole countries have legalized it.

So tell me again why the fuck are people still being jailed for cannabis.

Just end the madness already.
We dont need a dam law to tell us this sort of thing is wrong.
We don't need permission to do what is right either.

Cops and judges are sellin' weed, meanwhile billy burnout is rotting in prison for doing the same....WTF
Why cant we let all them motherfuckers out today?
They have been improsoned under false pretenses so let them the hell out now!

Why can this not be done right away.
It really is a joke.
We have ex-DEA selling weed in CO. but we cant expunge a weed crime.
I think we need to demand this action be taken by our govt now.

90% of your post irrelevant to my question. original poster claimed nobody was being freed/getting relief after legalization. quite patently false. many places ARE taking steps. please refrain from babbling about what was not being debated please. it was not false pretenses, they had broken the law as it was written. everything takes time whether you like it or not. i too wish justice was instantaneous, but nearly nothing is. grow the fuck up...demand away. wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So you see the folks that are currently selling CBD are doimg it on the black market.

odd that you say that. there are stores in every city around here that have huge signs on their fronts that say "CBD". they have been open for months, and they are still open today. do you think our police cannot read? do you think they are afraid to make arrests? or are you just babbling per usual, with no evidence besides your crystal ball?:laughing:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
odd that you say that. there are stores in every city around here that have huge signs on their fronts that say "CBD". they have been open for months, and they are still open today. do you think our police cannot read? do you think they are afraid to make arrests? or are you just babbling per usual, with no evidence besides your crystal ball?:laughing:

this is true! i now live in Tennessee again and work in the cbd industry and cbd is everywhere. legally.

in every little town in our state there are retail stores selling cbd products. the vape stores all have it now. health food stores. pet supply stores. we now have grandma walking into the cbd store across the street from the courthouse on the town square next door to the police station and coming out with some drops in a bottle, some topical cream perhaps, and a big bag of bud. the whole while holding a bible in the other hand.

cbd flower is getting quite popular too. anybody can grow it as long as they register with the state and pay a 350 dollar fee. gps co-ordinates are required but no background checks. strains must test less than .3% thc.

they do expect you to pay your taxes on your income from it just like any other product you might sell in any store.

it's making enforcement quite difficult as some of the flower is quite terpy and looks just like the thc chemovars.

when i left here 5 years ago none of this was even on the horizon.

this is a booming industry here and the state is making big tax money on it. they are not about to let the feds stop it at any level.

the point being that this federal law would make enforcement against small time black marketeers all but impossible as it is in oregon, where i just left.

there will always be a place for growers of elite strains, legal or not, while enforcement will be increasingly more difficult.

shaggyballs

Veteran
while enforcement will be increasingly more difficult.

Well maybe not so difficult.
Not with all the cash flowing to the cops from legal weed.
Legal weed is funding a lot of cannabis busts right now as we speak.

ion

to some poster above re; erasing pot records..........heh, heh.......records dont get erased. ever. cant. thank uncle sugar. this post is retrievable rather quickly until, uh...maybe the grid goes down ? same for your last cell call and the one the same day 15 years ago. or maybe not, i tend to stretch things a bit. pot helps me not.

anyhoot, to steal from Animal Mother " All F~C~I~G Politicians Must Hang!!"

see what i did there? i fixed it for him....me love you long time ;)

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I don't feel like getting long-winded, but here's what politicians want to make happen,

Little guys who grow 10 pounds to sell to their friends, aren't gonna go to prison for 10 years for cultivation with the intent to distribute,
They're gonna go to prison for 12 years for tax evasion...