Votes: 36 67.9%
  • No, not me!

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I don't remember.

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So the substance that the government told me was dangerous and had zero medicinal value, is now no longer dangerous, and I need to pay the federal government a cut anytime I grow a plant or smoke a joint? Fuck legalization. I'd rather grow bud and give it away for free than let some paper pusher in Washington DC take my hard work away from me under threat of prison.

if you give it away, there are no taxes to pay. the black market will not ask you for tax money, nor require a permit to grow. but folks that want the black market option need to get out of the way of those that like the option of not getting arrested for possession just so others can thumb their noses at the govt.

igrowone

Veteran
hmm, haven't read the bill but get the impression we're talking recreational sales only
so how could that work? federal enforcement/boots on the ground?
that doesn't sound likely, state/local would have to be the enforcers
and the feds take the lion's share of the 'take'?

shaggyballs

Veteran
hmm, haven't read the bill but get the impression we're talking recreational sales only
so how could that work? federal enforcement/boots on the ground?
that doesn't sound likely, state/local would have to be the enforcers
and the feds take the lion's share of the 'take'?

The Feds will be happy to step in.
For example they have been squashing CBD oil with the FDA.
If you want CBD you get Epidiolex.
I think that is all that is currently approved.
CBD is a drug and you cant get drugs without FDA aproval.
Silly drug dealers selling helpful drugs whithout FDA aproval.

The reason? 2017
Pressure from big money$$$$$$

FDA has proclaimed cannabidiol (CBD) isn’t a dietary supplement ingredient at all, thanks largely to GW’s current drug trials and a related exclusionary clause in the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA).

“I think the market will stand as it is until GW has a commercially viable product, at which point FDA will start sampling at the border, and they will shut down the trade,

Todd Harrison, a lawyer in Washington who advises clients on FDA regulations, expects GW to pressure FDA, demanding removal of supplements containing CBD, if Epidiolex is approved.

If I’m GW … I’m going to be knocking on their door, saying … ‘Why aren’t you getting these CBD products off the market? I’ve spent hundreds of millions of dollars getting a drug approved, and you’re letting these supplement companies market’" an ingredient that wasn’t available in the food supply before GW commenced its drug trials,

igrowone

Veteran
I think that is all that is currently approved.
CBD is a drug and you cant get drugs without FDA aproval.
Silly drug dealers selling helpful drugs whithout FDA aproval.

The reason? 2017
Pressure from big money$$$$$$

FDA has proclaimed cannabidiol (CBD) isn’t a dietary supplement ingredient at all, thanks largely to GW’s current drug trials and a related exclusionary clause in the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA).

“I think the market will stand as it is until GW has a commercially viable product, at which point FDA will start sampling at the border, and they will shut down the trade,

Todd Harrison, a lawyer in Washington who advises clients on FDA regulations, expects GW to pressure FDA, demanding removal of supplements containing CBD, if Epidiolex is approved.

If I’m GW … I’m going to be knocking on their door, saying … ‘Why aren’t you getting these CBD products off the market? I’ve spent hundreds of millions of dollars getting a drug approved, and you’re letting these supplement companies market’" an ingredient that wasn’t available in the food supply before GW commenced its drug trials,

what ever laws the federal side may think it will pass
their ability to enforce simply doesn't exist without the state/local infrastructure
federal will have to cooperate with state, that's a hard reality
unless they want to hire a new massive infrastructure, and that's not going to happen

armedoldhippy

Veteran

they are selling CBD all over the place here in TN. you can also get high CBD hemp pre-rolls & buds as well. gonna be a nightmare for LEO, lol...:biggrin: maybe just what we need to get us over the top for legalization, even if legalization is not what you want.:dance013:

shaggyballs

Veteran
they are selling CBD all over the place here in TN. you can also get high CBD hemp pre-rolls & buds as well. gonna be a nightmare for LEO, lol...:biggrin: :
No it will not be a nightmare for the FDA at all if fact they will enjoy all the money in the form of fines they collect.
They have a win win situation.

"In short, we treat products containing ... cannabis-derived compounds as we do any other FDA-regulated products," FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in the statement, "meaning they're subject to the same authorities and requirements as FDA-regulated products containing any other substance."

The FDA statement on CBD emphasized that foods, drinks, and supplements that contain the ingredient should be considered illegal.

So you see the folks that are currently selling CBD are doimg it on the black market.
And it is illegal to do so, therefore if you are caught doing it you will go to jail.

Legalization seems to find new ways to put more and more folks in jail everyday.

shaggyballs

Veteran
their ability to enforce simply doesn't exist without the state/local infrastructure

It does and they are using it as we speak,don' kid yourself.
federal will have to cooperate with state, That is a bit backwards the state must cooperate with the feds.that's a hard reality
unless they want to hire a new massive infrastructure, and that's not going to happen
You will not get CBD without purchasing the FDA approved products in the not so distant future.

I ask, can you buy other drugs legally without FDA approval???
No it is impossible to do.
Why would you think you would be able to do it all of a sudden.

All drugs must be FDA approved!
This is not debatable, not one bit!:)

shaggyballs

Veteran
The way it works is the feds lean on the state Govt. if they fail they bring in the big guns.
This is what some states have begun to do under the FDA's pressure.

New York City's health department has ordered restaurants to stop selling foods and drinks containing CBD, a compound found in cannabis plants.

Maine’s public health authority is requiring removal of CBD edible products from store shelves.
Ohio, Vermont and North Carolina are doing this also.

Then there is the subject of the potential of lawsuits concerning the CBD companies specialty pharmaceutical division.
This crackdown has included seizure of CBD products, and the warning of fines to come, which could total up to $650 beginning in July for violations

The main reason for the crackdown is:"
You cannot market a substance as treating any specific disease or symptom without FDA approval.

Additionally, in the Warning Letters the FDA claimed that the retailers were illegally marketing their products as “dietary supplements” because CBD products are excluded from the definition of dietary supplement

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Why should anyone here be surprised at the government wanting a piece of the pie? We / us / growers act as if cannabis is our plant. The government will claim rights through patents. We claim rights through association.

The amount of greed displayed by people in this industry is already scary. Large dispensary owners pushing State agendas and laws to monopolize the market for their own purposes.
The health and safety of the consumer is thrown out the window. The whole concentrates market needs a big HOLD THE FUCK UP! This market is doing more harm to our overall objective of legalization. (Reefer Madness, fear mongering)
This only drives the fears and mind sets of elected officials. Not to mention our wealthy legal adversaries.

Growers, pull your heads out of your asses for a minute. ( some not all). We wouldn't have the added expense of all the clinical testing. If you dumb asses weren't using every chemical under the sun to make that extra gram a week earlier! Some of us are our own worst enemies here. Can't see the forest for the trees.

If earthworms can't thrive in it, you shouldn't be growing! Plain and simple. Now the home growers have to fight battles that were brought to the table by ourselves. After reading this thread. The common denominator is (we all want the right to grow). LEGALLY
Then we need to stop fucking ourselves first and work together for the greater good. There is much more money to be made, than what you have already spent. If you have a room full of ( pesticides, herbicides and growth inhibitors)? Please swallow some pride and get rid of that shit. One more seed planted will always produce more than any chemical you put on the rest of them.
Peace. MedDakotabis

igrowone

Veteran
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by igrowone

It does and they are using it as we speak,don' kid yourself.
federal will have to cooperate with state, That is a bit backwards the state must cooperate with the feds.that's a hard reality

</td></tr></tbody></table>
no it doesn't
little weed growers aren't arrested by federal leo for a long time
it's state police, sheriffs, and municipal
you think there is going to be some new federal enforcement arm?
apparently you do, well it doesn't exist

soil margin

Veteran
little weed growers aren't arrested by federal leo for a long time

I think you're off base on this one man. 30 DEA agents raided a MMJ dispensary right here in San Diego just a couple years ago. They actually raided multiple legal dispensaries who were all in compliance with state law. Took people's money and told them to go fuck themselves. The feds are still deeply interested in going after cannabis in any way they possibly can. They have to show seizures to keep their funding going and they have no problem raiding medical marijuana producers/distributors to inflate their seizure numbers. Law abiding cannabis business people are much safer for the pussy DEA to raid than Mexican cartels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/instit...0000-including-teenage-girls-college-savings/

igrowone

Veteran
I think you're off base on this one man. 30 DEA agents raided a MMJ dispensary right here in San Diego just a couple years ago. They actually raided multiple legal dispensaries who were all in compliance with state law. Took people's money and told them to go fuck themselves. The feds are still deeply interested in going after cannabis in any way they possibly can. They have to show seizures to keep their funding going and they have no problem raiding medical marijuana producers/distributors to inflate their seizure numbers. Law abiding cannabis business people are much safer for the pussy DEA to raid than Mexican cartels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/instit...0000-including-teenage-girls-college-savings/

matter of perspective
i don't look at a dispensary as small
and these type of federal raids seem random, they pop in here and there
the boots on the ground are your local boys in blue, at least for the overwhelming majority of cases

soil margin

Veteran
matter of perspective
i don't look at a dispensary as small
and these type of federal raids seem random, they pop in here and there
the boots on the ground are your local boys in blue, at least for the overwhelming majority of cases

How is it a matter of perspective? You said feds don't raid little guys anymore and I gave you a link to 30 DEA agents raiding a tiny dispensary in a strip mall. The boots on the ground were FEDERAL agents, they work for the DEA. Not local or state agencies. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact and what you said is wrong.

igrowone

Veteran
How is it a matter of perspective? You said feds don't raid little guys anymore and I gave you a link to 30 DEA agents raiding a tiny dispensary in a strip mall. The boots on the ground were FEDERAL agents, they work for the DEA. Not local or state agencies. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact and what you said is wrong.

it wasn't clear to me what size of an operation you were talking about
ok it was a tiny dispensary, i don't have a argument with that
the context is what the thread is about, it's implying a federal take over of the legal MJ business
that doesn't seem too likely to me
just pointing out that would require a drastic federal reorg of resources
not saying federal enforcement doesn't happen, it obviously does

CannaZen

in spite of the best advice of business, medicine, industry and the public and in contravention of the norms of productive human activity

What are you talking about, You think that is the best advice where on icmag? do you watch movies? You should watch pineapple express or this is the end. IMO the mainstream believes in legalization, doctors and lawyers smoke pot and many presidents have admitted to have smoked pot before whether they inhaled or not. last i heard about the polling over 67% believe in legalization thats a majority.

Last edited:
What are you talking about, You think that is the best advice where on icmag? do you watch movies? You should watch pineapple express or this is the end. IMO the mainstream believes in legalization, doctors and lawyers smoke pot and many presidents have admitted to have smoked pot before, whether they inhaled or not. last i heard about the polling over 67% believe in legalization, thats a majority.

I agree completely with you. You said it all. I believe also the vast majority of marijuana consumers want to just get high on their choice of cannabis without guilt or paranoia of legal consequences.

Just my opinion. I'm Oregonian bred. Its nice to be able to relax in my backyard with my 4 legal stinky queens and smoke a joint. All while residing next door to the County Mountie secretary goes about their own business on the other side of my fence (approx 50 feet away). I actually blow the smoke towards their way. I love it. Who wouldn't?

OregonBorn

As for taxes, the US started taxing booze from day one. To pay the national debt to France for fighting the Brits to gain independence. Which led to the Whisky Rebellion, among other things. It was not until income tax was passed (when they promised it would never ever go above the initial 3%!!!) that they could pass prohibition on booze. Mainly because they had an alternate federal tax base on personal income. Prohibition was later repealed by Constitutional amendment and ratification, and they have both tax bases now, as well as others like tariffs. Of coruse shortly after repeal, they banned Cannabis here. Except during WWII, when hemp growing was made mandatory in many places. Flip flop...

So its business as usual in the US. We will go from DEA schedule 1 prohibition on weed to FDA heavily regulated and taxed and limited schedule whatever on weed. I do not like the no home growing law. Where is the justification in that? That is BS. Not that it stopped me before, or will in future. Or that anyone in this state will crack down on home growing with the current laws on the books. Or that Idaho will allow any weed of any type, ever. They seem to be digging themselves a hole on the hemp transport busts. To them marijuana is weed with any THC (even less than the 0.3% THC federal and internationally agreed upon level).

Will this legislation actually pass? Not likely. The very same bill was introduced in 2017. It failed. So things will go to the next round and likely be a platform in the next general election. More states will legalize it. Home growing will be an issue, as will medial. And hemp. More taxes on an already highly taxed product will mean that the black market will remain alive and well. Especially in California, where state weed taxes are really really high. Add federal excise taxes and you are over 60% tax on weed there. In Oregon rec store prices are at an all time low. $2-$4 a gram and lower low. A federal excise tax here will have little impact on price.

igrowone

Veteran
Will this legislation actually pass? Not likely. The very same bill was introduced in 2017. It failed. So things will go to the next round and likely be a platform in the next general election. More states will legalize it. Home growing will be an issue, as will medial. And hemp. More taxes on an already highly taxed product will mean that the black market will remain alive and well. Especially in California, where state weed taxes are really really high. Add federal excise taxes and you are over 60% tax on weed there. In Oregon rec store prices are at an all time low. $2-$4 a gram and lower low. A federal excise tax here will have little impact on price.

it's probably not even intended to pass
positions are staked, thoughts exchanged
government smells money, Pavlovian dog at meal time and drools disgustedly
NY has a no grow law in its legislature at the moment, hope like hell it changes(or fails)

Easy7

Veteran
There's a growing younger breed of politics. Yep big biz and farms will grow a lot. But can they critique their own supply? They really believe cheaply made is what bulk production should be. Bulk tobacco sucks but it can be good as well.

It's up to perception.

Doc doesn't want me smoking weed. She says it's for brainwashing and pain control as well as appetite. It can make me real horny and that's pretty bad. I use it so people talk.

Lots' of people keep secrets and that's bad.

White Beard

What are you talking about, You think that is the best advice where on icmag? do you watch movies? You should watch pineapple express or this is the end. IMO the mainstream believes in legalization, doctors and lawyers smoke pot and many presidents have admitted to have smoked pot before, whether they inhaled or not. last i heard about the polling over 67% believe in legalization, thats a majority.
I’m talking about the congressional hearings that preceded prohibition, back in the 30s/40s: science, commerce, reality vs. “moral” hysteria. PROHIBITION WAS NOT POPULAR - it was ginned up and pushed through.

I’d loan you from my research library so you could catch up, but that’s what happened to it: loaned it...never to be seen again.