What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thailand moves to ban recreational use of cannabis in setback for nascent industry

acespicoli

Strait Times - Thailand moves to ban recreational use of cannabis in setback for nascent industry

"Thailand is proposing a ban on recreational use of cannabis and hefty penalties on offenders under a new Bill that seeks to end a legal vacuum after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalise the plant.
Smoking of marijuana and its use in any other forms for recreation will be banned under the draft Bill that was published by the Health Ministry on Jan 9.
The use of cannabis plant or its products will be limited to medical and health purposes."

"The public and industry stakeholders have until Jan 23 to submit feedback on the Bill.
The health ministry may still make changes to the Bill before submitting it to the Cabinet, which will send it to the Parliament for approval."
Guess its time to fast track the Zomia orders
They did also supply phyto certs ?
Never ordered from them directly... they legit?
Supposedly located in Bangkok Thailand

Zomia Cannabis Collective store, and its domains, remain compliant with French law.

Last edited:

Ca++

It's funny how many people think there is a U-Turn going on. It was never legal. People have tried to argue it was, but it didn't happen. They were always quite clear about what was happening, but left the laws lax, allowing a bit of leeway. People just took it too far though.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
It's funny how many people think there is a U-Turn going on. It was never legal. People have tried to argue it was, but it didn't happen. They were always quite clear about what was happening, but left the laws lax, allowing a bit of leeway. People just took it too far though.
can you elaborate on that ??

what are they licensing when they give growers a licence to grow??
i looked into it , i could get a license to grow with no plant limit ,
to sell flowers , plants , and seeds ,
i assume if i can get a license , then its legal ??

initially they legalised medicinal use , around 2018 ,
then recreational use , with , as u said very lax regulations,
now , i assume they will make those regulations stricter,
but there will still be shops selling cannabis , and farms growing it ,
they already h ave licenses to do so ...

Ca++

I'm glad you didn't get involved. Such a license is fundamentally impossible, and just a quick money grab. This has been on the cards since 2018, and I have been constantly saying it. People want to believe it's something else. Something they want. But it's Thailand, and they said it clearly enough for me.
I'm a little surprised it got to be decriminalised, and wonder if that was actually true, or just further misunderstanding. Levels of government, not acting as one.

Germany is next. People think it's been legalised there to.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
but , there is no penalty for possessing .. producing , or selling cannabis ,
so it must be legal ,
if it was decriminalized , there would still be some penalty for doing so ,
and its not like the police in Thailand , wouldnt be quick to pick up a few bux there ,
something decriminalized is not legal and will still have some sort of penalty involved and you wouldnt be able to get a licence to do it surely ??...

i realize there is a big gap between what the politicians say , what they mean , and how the media interprets it , but it is a thriving business , and id say that is going to be permanent ,
there will be regulations , perhaps some restrictions added , to keep the conservatives happy ,
but its very unlikely they can put the cat back in the bag now ,,
it would cost a massive amount of money to police ,,
and banning , and then policing something that makes billions ,, seems a bit silly ,
im sure thais would see the irony there ....
I mean prostitution is illegal in thailand but its in your face in all the tourist areas ...

No doubt it's a quick money grab from the Thai gov, covid struck them bad, they needed a gold mine, that eventually to all of those with eyes to see was just a mine, meaning it was bound to run out.
Reminds me a bit of bitcoin, you can make money but don't put your house on it.
Now that tourists realized thailand is not bad or worse than other destinations in terms of the disease or any other parameter sheeps plan vacations by, they want things to go back to how it was, funny how gov work these days, one come and make rules, another changes them, divide and conquer.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
If I move to Thailand I'd only need to grow one plant for myself anyway.. one seventeen foot plant. :)
20210521_192137.png

This was in Vietnam. You think its high enough? 😬

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
They are as long as they have a Thai ownerq9 also on licence.
My friend has a licence and has been growing there the last 3 months all legit with a licence
Hey bro
Only way I know of, is to have a working permit, start a weed biz, close the weed biz before you need to renew your working visa, then open again. I heard they do not give staying permits for weed biz.
Also, growing is a job conserved to thai people. A farang can not be the worker, although he can manage it and be in the facility.

Yes, it sounds like many loop holes - meaning many bribes, and many people kicked out on the first flight + black mark on their passport + bye bye to whats left behind

Im in Thailand for just 2.5 weeks, but this is what i gathered

Last edited:

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey bro
Only way I know of, is to have a working permit, start a weed biz, close the weed biz before you need to renew your working visa, then open again. I heard they do not give staying permits for weed biz.
Also, growing is a job conserved to thai people. A farang can not be the worker, although he can manage it and be in the facility.

Yes, it sounds like many loop holes - meaning many bribes, and many people kicked out on the first flight + black mark on their passport + bye bye to whats left behind

Im in Thailand for just 2.5 weeks, but this is what i gathered
Hi bro

No my friend has not paid any bribes at all and is the owner along with his Thai Girlfriend/wife as needs to be a Thai person also as owner.
My friend had gone the fully legal way having a Thai solicitor do all paper work and follow all protocols to make it fully legal.

He been there around 4 months so far and half way through flowering and got some incredible strains out there.

From what I understand with new laws it will wipe out all the unregulated shops/stalls that just set up without the official paperwork and stop issuing new licences, just like Spain and Holland when they first started.

Latest posts

Latest posts