What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thailand moves to ban recreational use of cannabis in setback for nascent industry

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Strait Times - Thailand moves to ban recreational use of cannabis in setback for nascent industry

"Thailand is proposing a ban on recreational use of cannabis and hefty penalties on offenders under a new Bill that seeks to end a legal vacuum after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalise the plant.
Smoking of marijuana and its use in any other forms for recreation will be banned under the draft Bill that was published by the Health Ministry on Jan 9.
The use of cannabis plant or its products will be limited to medical and health purposes."

"The public and industry stakeholders have until Jan 23 to submit feedback on the Bill.
The health ministry may still make changes to the Bill before submitting it to the Cabinet, which will send it to the Parliament for approval."

Hasch

learning and laughing
Foreigners were not allowed to grow cannabis, or do any agricultural work.
Well I understand that depends on whom you officially have "the cooperation" with and then that being Thailand there are usually ways to get things done anyways (see post by Thchunter above).

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Foreigners were not allowed to grow cannabis, or do any agricultural work.
seems to be plenty doing exactly that ,
i recall reading they were able to own 30% of a company doing that ,
since their input in this industry was appreciated ,

but yes there is a rule saying foreigners cant do agricultural work ,
but many do it and simply say its their wife's business or something like that ,
foreigners are not allowed to take jobs that otherwise thais would do ...

as mentioned already ,, im sure this will probably just take some license, medical card ,
or something to allow folks to say they are "medicating" and not using it recreationally,
probably have to give the government some money for that ,,
this may well be a way of them trying to get their slice of the pie , or at least a bigger slice other than tax money etc ..
i think it will prove things run a lot better if governments dont stick their nose in or try to push the ideas and rules of their lobbyist friends ...

Hasch

learning and laughing
Was just traveling there before christmas.
I talked to some weed shop owners. They said that the government is planing to make the registration of the customers name, address etc mandatory when buying weed...
Guess they want to track things in more detail, to get a bigger cut of the sales / taxes..

Last edited:

Porky82

I took a family holiday to Thailand in July last year! I went there over a few other destinations just because weed was totally legal. The locals all loved that it was legal and apart from my kids smelling a few joints it was great! 🤣
If they ban it they will lose a lot in tourism dollars.
Idiot conservatives are ruining it for the rest of us like usual.
20230611_153808.jpg
20230605_112855.jpg
20230605_112908.jpg

Last edited:

Nugg_dog

There are plenty of foreign owned weed shops run by millionaires. Similar to the bar industry.
They buy a shop for 5 million baht and sell it for 1 million baht when they realize it is too hard to make a baht and too many people in their pocket.
But hey, they are still "millionaires" with their 1 million baht sale.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
There are plenty of foreign owned weed shops run by millionaires. Similar to the bar industry.
They buy a shop for 5 million baht and sell it for 1 million baht when they realize it is too hard to make a baht and too many people in their pocket.
But hey, they are still "millionaires" with their 1 million baht sale.
Which is $30K USD. All employees except management must be Thai.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Didn’t the guvermint hand out free plants so the natives could grow their own?

Blinkie probably threatened them to keep it illegal.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Didn’t the guvermint hand out free plants so the natives could grow their own?

Blinkie probably threatened them to keep it illegal.
Look what happened to AMLO in Mexico. Ran on decriminalizing all drugs until he got in and CIA bribed or threatened him so all the useless fascist jobs would be saved.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
3% of weed companies in the world are making profit only,all others are loosing dollars...only idiots can belive that weed will be legal to smoke for everyone...weed can only be payable in arms of medicine and pharma industry as it was...

Sry for you story tellers and lineage trackers...legal weed is just your wet dreams...✌️

Weed need to be Pharma only and that makes only sense...

Its better to not smoke weed thats was grown in thailand they all use fungicides last weeks of flowering due tue extreme humidity down there.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Its better to not smoke weed thats was grown in thailand they all use fungicides last weeks of flowering due tue extreme humidity down ththere.you
Are you certain of this?
I know some outdoor growers who produce quite a lot and grow organically ..
Its not always humid in the tropics anyway, that's a generalisation, during the dry season when a lot of crops are/were harvested, the humidity is very low generally..

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Are you certain of this?
Its not always humid in the tropics anyway, that's a generalisation, during the dry season when a lot of crops are/were harvested, the humidity is very low generally..
I have friend down there who grow indoors for big companies and its almost impossible to lower humidity...hydro grown x high air humidity + led's =2 much humidity.
He said to me that many G's use it down there...
Led lights and high humidity and temps give great results...through entire grow...but last few weeks are tricky.

Didnt chat about parts of year to be honest.

Wish you all..

😉

Loc Dog

Veteran
Are you certain of this?
A few years ago saw in CA someone bought 10 bootleg vape cartridges from 10 different sources around state. Everyone had traces of myclobutanil, which is fine for produce till day of harvest, but turns to hydrogen cyanide when heated. Not going to kill you, but can not be great for health.

From FB groups, it seems like they charge more for it than in USA dispensaries, which do require testing for chemicals.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The guys I know who do it here in the Aussie tropics which is much the same as Thailand use large dehumidifiers and plenty of air-conditioning b7t it all comes at a price because power isn't cheap thesedays...
I'd kinda hoped they would take advantage of the great climate and use less power to grow there but they are following the American model sadly, but hopefully in time they might work things out...

Last edited:

Ca++

It was never meant to be legal. It was meant to be overlooked.
Poor legal framework is all that made it possible for a while.

The Thai people were invited to grow there own, and even sell a bit, under the cover of medicine. They were quite clear about people not smoking as a way of life. Retaining the governments ability to land on people from a great height, by not legalising recreational use.

People here posted this from the start.

For the people that live there, the idea of what medicating is, should protect their rights. Just as long as they remain a functional member of society.

It's not as well engineered as a German system. No defined groups that run like a non profit. The most complex regulating tool, will be a big stick.