What's new

Thai weed from Thailand

Hasch

learning and laughing
They can get into the fields and take all the seeds they want, even if the villagers disagree. It is something highly unethical. But it is even worse and with no lack of evilness when they spread their hybrid seeds in those places knowing forehand what is going to happen.
Now that is
is even worse and with no lack of evilness when they spread their hybrid seeds in those places knowing forehand what is going to happen.
That in my eyes is a crime.

Once a countryside has been contaminated with the new hybrid genetics the landrace there is more or less lost forever. Because they are
...becoming contaminated with the "western genetics"
And then there's no going back from this afaiu...
☹️🤬

And seed companies like Green House Seeds and Humboldt County Seeds even advertise this practice in their videos.

To be honest I saw one reference by HCS to the spreading of their hybrids and numerous ones by Arjan / strain hunter videos.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Watch the Congo episode of SH you will see the headman of the village get ripped off in real time .. then you see the farmers realising they been tricked , army has to protect the SH team …
It’s crazy that’s it’s on film ,they just need a really good lawyer!

I know this about Thailand but this is just if you want to see what goes on …

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Not to mention the botrytis that came with the skunk to jamaica.

But i understand that people in these countrys grow for a living. In jam they always told me that they now have 2 month plants that can be moved easily when leo comes to catch them. The traditional 4 or 6 month plants grow big and couldn't be moved to a different location.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
You have a lot of great archives , always throwing some sick Picts , there was a really good photo of Jamaican lambsbread in a old book called sinsimella ( not tips)
All I remember is a full page 70’s Rasta dude squatting or standing can’t remember
Googled sinsimella book , just too many now
But probably one of the best field Picts ever of that time , none are higher then 1metre
You're very welcome. Love this kind of history.

Lee Scratch Perry in his younger years next to a nld Caribbean cultivar.

Screenshot_20240417-171822_Photos.jpg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I dunno about those hermies funky ,
i would still try avoiding using them for future generations ,
ive done it in the past and it always caused problems in subsequent generations ,
i know its sometimes hard to avoid with males that at the end show a few pistils ,
but that seems to be a lot better than using females that happily sprout balls early in their flowering ,
thats what ive seen anyhow , it may not reflect with others experiences ...

mex , thai is a gendered language , kah is for females , karp is for males ,
its sawadee karp if you are a male
while females say kah , sawadee kah is what ladies say ...
just didnt want you guys talking like you are girls , hehehe ...

lastly ,, there has been hybrids and western seeds in thailand for quite some time ,
while i dont defend arjan in any way as i dont like his style and capitalistic approach to cannabis ,
the ship has already sailed with spreading western genetics around thailand ,
it accelerated with the legalisation,
everyone is growing western genetics , well anyone that wants to grow commercially and sell their goods ,
and given it has been over 40 years since America forced Thailand to stop growing pot to export ,
the availability of good thai seed has greatly diminished ,
sure there has always been pockets of growers , and of course seed coming in from Laos in the bricks ,
btw , that is much the same as a lot of the thai was anyhow , ive grown it and didnt see much difference from what i grew in the 80s ,
just dont tell Arjan that next door still has landrace seeds or he may head over there too ,, lol ...

ahortator

Veteran
I dunno about those hermies funky ,
i would still try avoiding using them for future generations ,
ive done it in the past and it always caused problems in subsequent generations ,
i know its sometimes hard to avoid with males that at the end show a few pistils ,
but that seems to be a lot better than using females that happily sprout balls early in their flowering ,
thats what ive seen anyhow , it may not reflect with others experiences ...

lastly ,, there has been hybrids and western seeds in thailand for quite some time ,
while i dont defend arjan in any way as i dont like his style and capitalistic approach to cannabis ,
the ship has already sailed with spreading western genetics around thailand ,
it accelerated with the legalisation,
everyone is growing western genetics , well anyone that wants to grow commercially and sell their goods ,
and given it has been over 40 years since America forced Thailand to stop growing pot to export ,
the availability of good thai seed has greatly diminished ,
sure there has always been pockets of growers , and of course seed coming in from Laos in the bricks ,
btw , that is much the same as a lot of the thai was anyhow , ive grown it and didnt see much difference from what i grew in the 80s ,
just dont tell Arjan that next door still has landrace seeds or he may head over there too ,, lol ...
Hi Donald.
I regard you as an absolute expert in the subject. Have you seen the Tiger Tail type plant in the 80's?
I have only seen such classification as Squirrel or Tiger Tail on the Zomia web page onwards. I know very little about this subject so I would like to learn about it.
Greetings!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi Donald.
I regard you as an absolute expert in the subject. Have you seen the Tiger Tail type plant in the 80's?
I have only seen such classification as Squirrel or Tiger Tail on the Zomia web page onwards. I know very little about this subject so I would like to learn about it.
Greetings!
oh i dunno about that , but its certainly something i have studied since it was both my first weed to smoke , and some of my all time favorite ,
and im always intrigued by the thai culture , i know im not alone there ...

when i started smoking and growing them , it was all just thai ,
as i think it still is , these names are all new , likely just to make them sound funky like the new strains,
and to suggest they are all different to one another,
otherwise , they are all just expressions of thai i think ,
certainly i have seen some like a squirrel tail , big fluffy buds , quite airy ,
in contrast i also recall some were just small , but much tighter buds ,
which , back when i started to grow them , in the early 80s ,, were all just thai ,
seeds we collected from thai sticks , or were shared with us by friends who collected them as there were not many seeds in the sticks ...

Limeygreen

Veteran
I had heard from older folks, I wasn't around for thai sticks or live where they get grown outdoors to perfection, that the big fluffy buds were the plants with more energetic effects where the tighter buds and smaller plants were more dreamy and euphoric type of effects, did you have any experience with this type of description Donald?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I had heard from older folks, I wasn't around for thai sticks or live where they get grown outdoors to perfection, that the big fluffy buds were the plants with more energetic effects where the tighter buds and smaller plants were more dreamy and euphoric type of effects, did you have any experience with this type of description Donald?
might be the case limey ,,
a lot of the thai was euphoric
and some a little scary , but that might be just accentuating moods we were in at the time ,

i was pretty young , so its a bit of a blur for me really ,
i dont remember specifics on somethings ,

i do recall the stuff we got called golden buddha , aka golden thai ,
was not airy and fluffy , not tied to a stick either ,
and was very strong ... wasnt the same as the racy stuff , aka speed/caffeine weed though ,
i know i fell asleep easily on that stuff ...

sorry for hijacking funky ....

endgegner

Watch the Congo episode of SH you will see the headman of the village get ripped off in real time .. then you see the farmers realising they been tricked , army has to protect the SH team …
It’s crazy that’s it’s on film ,they just need a really good lawyer!

I know this about Thailand but this is just if you want to see what goes on …

Do you have a link, I wanna see how Arjan needs police protection, but sadly I can't find it :D

elchischas

Veteran
Que tal Chischas. A mi lo que mas me sorprendio es lo rapido que desaparece todo y lo rapido que la gente se hace famosa en el mundo del cannabis. Me cuesta creer que estoy viendo la granja en un video
Las compre en Navidad. A las dos semanas lo que compre ya lo habian dado de baja y cambiaron las descripciones y las geneticas en venta. Desde lo de Prempavee que está al norte de Thailand hasta su entrega en España pasaron solo 10 dias. Desde España hasta aqui tardaron casi dos meses pero llegaron
Las germine el 1 de marzo, estas plantas se quedan chicas. La expectativa es hacer alguna semilla con los pocos pistilos que hay para cultivar la temporada proxima

This is southern cone. Weather is changing
There are only 2 seasons now: summer and winter. Spring and autumm are a thing of the past
This part of the world is becoming tropical and this means tropical deseases are becoming endemic
A big mess and floods all over the basin. Dams have crashed in Rio Grande Do Sul, people are seeing piranhas in Porto Alegre. It is an ecological disaster
This season I have seen hail. El Niño and La Niña affect the weather greatly at this part of the world

So right now weather temperatures are equal to deep july winter and the people who lived here all their lives tell me this is not normal weather at all

I am growing at Southern Cone. My greenhouse is replicating Florianopolis climate
I have some updated news for you Mex. This is not going to last long
Thaksin is back in Thailand, he got paroled and only 3 months after he is back this was bound to happen

It is what it is, things dont last long in the canna world

The 3 strains from Prempavee are little plants of no more than 40 cms height
They were sprouted same day they arrived, 1st march. Thai weed needs vegetative time so I knew plants were going to be small. But I didnt expect the weather to be this cold this year, greenhouse is hardly making it up to 22C for a few hours which seems enough to keep things going
Phon Sawan have a hard time. Only one sexed and is intersex growing in the male room. The thin leaf small plant on the left is a cutting of N Thai girl 8 P1
View attachment 19006052

These are Mekhong Classsic(MKC) on the left and Hang karong Phu Phan right. I prefer to call it Phu Phan
Both Mekhong Classic and Phu Phan seem to handle the cold better, they are from the mountains
I have 2 Phu Phan growing a few pistils same as a couple of MKC. They are all small plants
View attachment 19006053

These are Northern Thai 2008 P2 test
I sprouted them end of january. At this part of the world I need to sprout them 30-45 days before that so I can get 3 meter plants and taller. This year they stay at 2,5 meter the tallest
View attachment 19006057

These are Northern Thai 2008 P1 girl 1 and girl 8 growing on living soil
These genetics love living soil. I hope the plants survive the winter and hopefully grow the pure females from Prempavee on living soil. The main stem is huge growing on soil, about the size of the bamboo canes or thicker. This cultivar make very big trees and is cold resistant
View attachment 19006058

This is Northern Thai 2008 P1 girl 1. She makes chunky buds with creeper 2 hour high effect
View attachment 19006061 View attachment 19006059 View attachment 19006060

This is the type of bud the progeny of girl 1 P2 is making. I hope they produce quality buds too
View attachment 19006064

This is N Thai 2008 P1 girl 8. She makes foxtail buds
View attachment 19006062

And this is a N Thai girl 8 daughter. She is sister of the pure boy. They seem to produce foxtail buds.
View attachment 19006063
Que bonitas plantas hermano! Palabra! :smoke:
I recently get some Prepambe seeds too
Because the good prices and also she send you at least 20 a pretty decent number to work with.
I don't know how many Thailand landraces still out There but if there's people like Prepambe with really fair prices I will keep looking for them.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
My apology, misunderstood what I looked up. Had contact with Thai people, but since i live at the coast in fish village no more, although we have here 2 small Thai restaurants nearby, but eat more Mexican than Thai nowadays. Sea air makes hungry and as a cheese head we can use cheese in the Mexican dishes.😎🧀

Nexus7

Nice thread as always @funkyhorse !

I have a few thai/haze hybrids just starting outdoors in the greenhouse for the winter season.

Always wondered what is the best strain or plant you've come across in recent times? The one that best reminds you of that Paraguayan or Thai stick of yore?

Also about the tropical vs. equatorial sativa debate... The tropical ones would be the more longer flowering? The more classical/archetypal "sativa" expressions?