What's new

TexMex McDirt's Stealth CFL Micro Bagseed Grow

J23

Thanks TexMex. I'm building a cab now and trying to decide on venting design. This info will be much helpful. I've almost purchased big ass centrifugal fan but found out that PC fans are in fact working with scrubbers. I'm new to growing and man, there is so many different opinions out there. With no experience it's hard to part good tested ideas from bullshit. If you would like to drop by my build here it is: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=159918
thanx again.
btw, I have just ordered 5 NL fem seeds from nirvana. will let you know upon arrival

j6p

Ventilation: Cooler Master R4-L2R 120mm. It is rated at 90 CFM, 19 dBA and static pressure of 3.04 mm/H20.

picture.php
Hey TexMex, nice job! Question - is the 120mm fan pulling exhaust through the carbon scrubber, and is it working OK? Also, it looks like you have a couple more black PC fans in the cab, one leaning against each side; are they Cooler Masters also?
Thanks, and happy growing!

yosun

plexi

plexi

hey tex,awesome setup,i'm considering adding glass to my cab,does your plexiglass run from back to front completly? creating a completly seperate compartment for the lights with seperate ventilation? or is the air above and below the plexi going out the same fan? just curious if the lights are completly contained or just sheilded..ty

yosun

tex,might i ask what size that plexiglass is? thickness wise,there is a glass store near me that cuts to spec lexan just curous what thickness i would need to avoid warping,thanks

TexMex McDirt

So after a 3 day dry we have about 16 grams from ol' blue. That's about 30% of the 55 wet. Right at a half a zip like I thought it would be. Not great, but ok for a trial run. I put it into tupperware to cure. I smoked some earlier tonight (I know it needs to cure, but I needed a taste), it certainly isn't anything to brag about, but it was a nice buzz. Definitely more of an up sativa high. The red pot sativa hooker is going strong. She's gonna be a marathon.

j6p: Yea, the Coolermaster is behind the filter, pulling the cab air thru it, blowing out of the cab. So far it has worked quite well. Keep in mind this 1st run is with shwag strains that didn't put off too much smell. The sativa that is still going is pretty skunky, but I don't smell her at all till I open the cab up. I also keep a renuzit air freshener in the closet at all times, that is all I can smell when I go in. We'll see what happens down the road when I invest in some quality beans. Those other 2 80mm fans are in there to just blow air around. No idea what brand they are. Cheapos. Thanks for lookin' in. Good luck to ya!

yosun: The plexi does not create a seperate space for the lights completely, just shields them. It might be hard to tell from the pics, but I cut a notch out of the plexi (hacksaw blade cuts plexi really well), about 5" x 5", for the filter. So about half the filter is above the plexi, the rest below. That is the only exhaust. My intent was for the heat from the lights to get pulled thru the filter and not be able to creep into the cab so much. Next time I take pics I'll try to get a good shot of it. Adding the plexi really made a difference. Before it was in my temps would get into the high 90's, after adding it I've never seen higher than like 88 and that's when the lights have been on and the closet door is closed. If I have the closet door open, even a few inches to get more air in there, it is never higher than like 85, and I can live with that.

Mahalo!

TexMex McDirt

yosun: It is 1/4 inch thick lexan plexi. It does run from side to side and front to back. Just has the notch cut out to accomodate for the filter. I does sag a bit in the front where there is no support for it, but otherwise it does good. I was able to cut it really easily with a hacksaw blade, really easy.

J23: I will come check your build right away. You gotta let me know how the Nirvana NL fem is, and how long it took to get. I'm thinking about getting that and some Bubblicious fem from them after I do 1 more shwag run with a different method (topping with lighter LST) to see what works best in this cab. Ventilation was so much harder to dial in than I thought it would be. Check out ScrubNinja's Thread - The ultimate beginner's guide to PC FANS (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=131842). Some great info there, helped me A LOT. You gotta look at CFM, and noise (depending on your stealth requirements) but also static pressure is huge. A lot of PC fans have shit for static pressure and can't pull thru a filter to save their life. Some of 'em can handle a micro grow really well.

Cheers!

j6p

The sativa that is still going is pretty skunky, but I don't smell her at all till I open the cab up. I also keep a renuzit air freshener in the closet at all times, that is all I can smell when I go in. We'll see what happens down the road when I invest in some quality beans.
Mandala has some low-odor strains e.g. Mandala#1 and Satori, I like them both and their price is good @ $32/10 pack. I would also recommend Nirvana Ice for high potency and low odor. Also, here is a low-odor strain thread with more, and a high-odor strain thread with stinkers to watch out for. Peace

yosun

thanks for getting back to me,i have a piece of glass from a tv stand,but its gonna leave a 2 inch gap on one side,my exhaust is on top,i'm gonna put it in and see whats up,either way i wil have the shelf lip in place to totaly encapsulate it if i want,but hopefully it will help some,but i must say my temps are in the high 80's but my plants seem to love it,i have 2 mechtronics 1 for intake and 1 for exhaust,problem is,they are the same cfm,57,i have a huge out take hole,so i think i will get another fan to run side by side on top,my original idea was..heat rises,so i was thinking passive outtake so i made about a 14 inch hole on top,4 inch active intake,but the air was not leaving fast enough,so now i have a fan on top and bottom,its cooler then it was,but i want it cooler,lol so next i think i will measure out a cover for the inside top,cut 2 holes in it,attach both fans,and cut more intakes for the bottom..passive this time..lol.i better post some pics and get some input before i cut my cab so much it fals over:p

J23

Hi TexMex, I had to pause my build (my girlfrind had an issue with my idea of growing in our appartment) but its OK now. As far as seeds, strange thing happened: my seeds were sent back for some reason so I had to reorder. still waiting for arrival.

TexMex McDirt

Chopped the Sativa

Chopped the Sativa

So at 18 weeks of flower my patience ran dry and I chopped the sativa whore. She weighed out at 76 grams. So it ought to be about 3/4 ounce dry. I could have probably let her go another week or 2 but I want to move on.

My goal on this 1st grow was to show that anyone could grow some MJ with a couple of beans and some dirt without a huge investment and without any grow shops. It worked.

The Chop: 76 grams of sativa green. Damn she was a leafy hooker, trimming took a while. I now understand why commercial growers hire trimmers.

picture.php

Hanging to dry...

picture.php

My next project will be to keep using up the bag/shwag seed I have and see what I can grow 12/12 from seed. No veg.

picture.php

Going to grow 12/12 from seed, SOG, in 20 oz bottles.

picture.php

After I run through most, if not all of this bagseed I have and get my fill of the 12/12 from seed style I am going to build another small cab for moms and clones. I don't have access to any beans from good strains so I will buy some beans and plan to eventually do a perpetual micro SOG. I don't want to spend a shitload of $$$ on beans. If anyone has any suggestions on what strains might be good choices I'm all ears. I'm looking at Nirvana, Mandala, CannaCopia or GrowDoc because their prices seem the most reasonable. I want to do Indicas that take 8-12 weeks, stay short and don't stink too much. Right now I am leaning towards Nirvana's NL or Bubbleicious or maybe Mandala #1. But that purchase won't be for a few months.

Cheers all! Thanks for the support.

Happy gardening and stay safe!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
dammm dude she looks kick ass.

quote: My goal on this 1st grow was to show that anyone could grow some MJ with a couple of beans and some dirt without a huge investment and without any grow shops. It worked.quote:

thats how I been doing it for 14 years now. I just save my best bagseeds.
I use to get swagg that was super green and had only a few seeds in it and it would get u high as an airplane.
other than that I do the saming as u did.

but now days I only use hydroponics and coco and with grade A swaggseeds.

well good luck with ur next grow. :) :)

TexMex McDirt

Back in action, sort of...

Back in action, sort of...

Hey IC gang. I haven't posted much in ages, hope everyone is happy and safe. We moved to a new house and my grow game got shut down for a long time. I am back to it now, growing 12/12 from seed in a shitty, hastily built, cab stuffed in the back of a closet (That is where the wife will allow it for now, so there it goes). It gets too hot in there, sometimes pushing high 80's, but MJ is a tough ass weed. I am planning a dual cab perpetual CFL micro SOG in the attic, but that is another story for a future day. So any ways here's what I am up to for now.

Growing 12/12 from seed, still bag (shwag) seed. I got some Nirvana Northern Lights and Mandala #1 seeds along with some Sam The Skunkman freebies, but I am not going to get into those until I am ready to take care of moms and go perpetual (Those seeds were from Seed Boutique and boy did they get here fast, like 1 week). Nothing much else to say. Happy farming. Stay safe.

The girls in the cab. 4 rows of 3 in Gatorade bottles at varied stages of growth so I can stagger the chops 2-4 at a time. Cab is 12dx20wx30h. 111 watts CFL.

3 that will get the chop soon, next week I think. Getting between 5-8 grams per.

Mahalo.