What's new

Terra Preta - Dark Soil - Experiment

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
jaykush

I've got one of the Komodo-style ceramic smokers (Big Green Egg) and one of the features of these units is that you have a great deal of control on hitting and holding specific temperatures for smoking hawg and such.

Using a can like Stankie posted above and filling it to some level with rice hulls - what would be the optimum temperature range for creating 'bio char' and not charcoal dust? LOL

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Using a can like Stankie posted above and filling it to some level with rice hulls - what would be the optimum temperature range for creating 'bio char' and not charcoal dust? LOL

not sure the ideal temp, you know me no measuring. if i was to make rice hull char i would just use the method that you start a small fire, get it going, then dump rice hulls on it, when you see vents, dump rice hulls on it, then dump water on it and you have char. theres a link in the OFC terra preta thread.

id personally use the komodo for food. i just got a huge bag of applewood smoked salt in a komodo from a friend. mmmmmmmmmm it goes good on meat.

S

Stankie

In my stoner memory, I recall around 500F is best. A little low according to MrFista.

Pyrolisation temperatures affect the pH of your char. The best temperature is 350 C. Above this causes basicity and below acidity. 350 will give you char in the pH 5.5 - 6.5 range right where you want it.

I would think given a proper 'cook' with compost/EWC should solve any pH issues.

MrFista

Veteran
The functional groups at the interface of the char are altered by the temperature at which you char. 350 is optimal but obviously at home we'll be moving around the range somewhat. It is nice to know what you should try aiming for.

Composting will assist a basic char to slowly acidify but it depends if you want to wait for things to amend. In some instances the 'correction' (lowering) of pH on char has taken up to two years.

My comments are derived from personal experience, years of web research, and Johannes Lehmann's opinions. Lehmann has studied all the studies, he's a good source.

S

Stankie

I wasn't trying to challenge, at all :) ... My 'memory' is of a youtube video. I trust your info more than that!!!

Really you are the only one to mention temperature in this whole thread, thats why I quoted.

S

Stankie

With out investing in any special equipment, is it possible to tell anything in regards to temperature level and the 'color' of the char?

My finished char has more of a grayish tinge to it, as opposed to the deep black of standard charcoal.

MrFista

Veteran
If you keep the airflow out and the char chamber seperate from the actual fire there's a good chance you had temps at the lower end. Up to 500 is ok... trying not to go over that will really help. Amending with composting really helps too, add these together you should have good char.

Does anyone have a good method of getting the biochar into soil.

I've been using fir and some other materials to generate biochar. I just pack some metal tins with the fir and other stuff, and place it is my woodstove to cook away.

I take it out when the wood gas stops burning off, then douse it with water and place it i na large container. I then kind of smash it up, and eventually run it through a 1/4" screen.

It is certainly a time intensive process, does anyone have any time saving tips?

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you soak it before you smash it up? Wetting it may help a little.

I have found a flat surface like concrete, a strong plastic bag and a flat brick is good. A metal bucket/box with a flat bottom and a hammer with a flat head, held 2-handed with the handle pointing at the sky also works well. Pound away.

MrFista mentioned a twisting,grinding action with a long bit of wood.

I wouldnt worry about getting it all superfine although this is good to make it go further.

I imagine a steamroller would work well. :smoke:

I did soak it in a few different EM/AACT, plus threw in some green sand, a little bone meal prior to grinding this stuff all up. It has been sitting moist in this mix for a few weeks, though frozen acutally as it has been sitting outside.

Basically smash it up in a tote with a shovel, then run it through a gold pan with a 1/4" screen. Bigger chunks get smashed up with a large pair of pliers, and then ran through the screen.

I was thinking about using hand compacter/tamper for landscaping to smash my stuff up, probably build a little metal box to do it in.

2dialed

is bbq lump charcoal the same as bio char? i think i've seen mesquite and hardwood at the grocery store and always wondered if i could smash it up and use it in the garden

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers Belfast.

I think the bbq char should be ok to use. Just make sure nothing has been added to make it burn better i reckon.

Its as easy as pissing on it and soaking in wormcasting slurry for at least 24 hours or any of the other ideas in the thread. Then when its used in the garden its bio-char.

I think im gonna use it as mulch this spring to soak up the sun in a few spots.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
make sure you use natural 100% hardwood char. no additive, no fillers, no things that make it light faster. just charred wood.

have fun smashing it :)

Bozzer

What amazing stuff, i cant wait to try making and using some myself. Here is web site full of informatiopn that i have not yet seen posted on uptodate information on what happening in the bio char world.

http://biochar.be/

I see so much wasted organic matter, in job hope one day i will be able to turn into biochar and impove the soil in the gardens i build

onegreenday

Veteran
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...3c4eeb55b9-Webstore9_14_2011&utm_medium=email

re:char launches Black Revolution Product for US Markets

re:char is excited to announce the launch of our newest product for US and European Markets: Black Revolution. Black Revolution is a soilless growth media for plants containing biochar. It's the world's first carbon-negative replacement for potting soil, and we need your help to launch it. We've set up a campaign on kickstarter.com to pre-sell a small quantity of Black Revolution, before it's available to the public. With your help, we can jump start this exciting new product.

The potting soil industry is traditionally one of the most environmentally destructive. Most potting soil contains peat moss and vermiculite-- non-renewable resources mined in endangered areas. Black Revolution contains carbon-negative biochar, sustainably produced compost, and waste coconut husk, making it much lighter than traditional soil. Not only is it environmentally-friendly, but it can improve the growth of your plants up to 200%. It's also ready to use immediately.
Black Revolution is suitable for use in pots, gardens or raised beds. It can be used as a soil amendment, or a complete replacement for soil. It comes packaged in recycled burlap from old coffee bags, inspired by the vertical gardens in Kenya's largest slums. Users can even plant seeds directly in the bag to create a carbon-negative vertical farm.

We're unbelievably excited to launch this product. For the past 4 years, we've been working with farmers around the world to determine the optimal blend of biochar for different environments. In Kenya, we've shown that biochar can have dramatic improvements in crop yield. However, we've realized that on its own, raw biochar is difficult for novice farmers to use. That's why we created Black Revolution. Now, anyone can grow their own food at home and help fight climate change. Every bag of Black Revolution is equivalent to offsetting between 5 and 60 miles of driving a US automobile (depending on bag size).

As you've been a generous supporter of re:char in the past, we are asking you to take a moment today and check out our Kickstarter campaign. Watch our video, filmed on-site in Kenya, and learn more about re:char and Black Revolution. As always, the work we do in the developed world helps re:char to grow its operations in the developing world. Please consider pre-ordering a bag (or two) of Black Revolution for yourself or the gardnerer in your life. If you can't make a pledge today, please tweet, share or email out the link to our campaign. With enough pre-orders, we'll be able to set up a local manufacturing center in a 20' shipping container where demand for the product is highest. We'll be showing off Black Revolution this week at SXSW in Austin, so if you're around please come visit! Every bit we can do grow our own food and fight climate change is a small step toward a global revolution.

thank you and best regards,'

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=302b1dd3b1cbe76d42e4ed92c&id=3c4eeb55b9&e=db524e16ff