What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes lost due to high growing heat?

Granger2

Veteran
What about low humidity? Seams like it could cause terpine evaporation. Anyone know? My dehumidifier will keep by room about 30%. Probably to low right? I've been setting it at 30 fearing botritis. My buds aren't as tasty/smelly as I'd like. Growing in coco. Thanks. -granger

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
50 to 60 percent humidity in veg. 40 to 50 percent first two weeks of flower 35-45 percent humidity for the rest of flower is fine.

I have a humidifier and a dehumidifier. different times of the year require one or the other.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I experienced a lost in aroma one of the last r-dwc run, surely linked to high temps.

I grew the same plant two times in the same room, with the same rdwc setup, the real difference was the temperature.

All the buds (even the ones not directly under the light) grown in a hot climate had a lot less aroma than the other produced in a colder climate. I mean, the buds were resinous and everything but the aroma was way poorer than the same clone grown with 6 or 7°C less.

I experienced the same thing also on other plants, and I'm sure 100% high temps can fuck your harvest (if you're goal is quality pot).

High temps also tend to make the flowering phase longer, a NYxBG took 4 months to flower and there still were white pistils, when normally the same plant takes 3 months to ripen.

After all, I decided to keep away dwc in summer and grow in coco&perlite and\or soil...much less troubles.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
50 to 60 percent humidity in veg. 40 to 50 percent first two weeks of flower 35-45 percent humidity for the rest of flower is fine.

I have seen mold in a very dry growroom, however I use to keep RH around 50 - 60% from the budding to harvest. With a proper ventilation between the leaves, a good air re-circulation in the room and healty plants there is no need to keep it lower, and plants loves humidity, also in flowering.

However decreasing humidity helps a lot in most cases fighting against mold, especially with large flowers ;) but 35% is very dry, plants are way far from the optimal VPD in 99% of the cases.

I mean, sometime it's difficult to keep the plants safe from mold without decreasing RH, but from my experience, a plant can produce more and maybe better flowers if the RH is not too low.

I have a humidifier and a dehumidifier. different times of the year require one or the other.

:yes:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I was reading a lot of stuff on LED lighting on here the other day and a lot of people kept saying that the LED grown buds tasted better and had richer smells than same pheno clones grown under HID.

I've heard the same thing said about outdoor grown weed as well.

I'm also personally experiencing a problem where every kind of weed I grow has a very similar smell and taste with a few exceptions and I also know my heat is probably too high.

It seems logical that excess heat while growing could explain a lot of that. Terpenes boil off at all different temps and it could be that some of the most delicate are being burned off in hot growing conditions.

I sat down and devoted some time and did a big search online and looked for credible sources and recorded every temp I could find that were posted as minimum, maximum and ideal for growing. They varied all over the place needless to say so I had to average.

I averaged them and came up with:

Maximum peak temp while growing to not exceed: 29C (84.2f)
Ideal normal growing temperature: 25c (77f)
Minimum temp at which growth will occur: 15.5c (60f)

I'm starting to think those are too high and I'm losing terpenes.

What say you?

Temps above the 122f (50 C) could be damaging the terpenes, but before you would reach that temp your plant would be dead.It depends on the variety at what temp grows best.Terpenes conc are more influenced by using sea salt or rock dust as fertilizer or UV.

Keep on growing :)

Glauco89

I'm not a chemist or so, and this is only hipotetic, but i've read somewhere that the oxidation of terpenes is a quite known problem, i think they were discussing around storing grapes for wine.
What do you think? terpenes oxidating and going corrupted to acid form or something like that, i hadn't really understood much :D