What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes and Their Role in Shaping Cannabis Experiences: Trippy and Grounded Strains

Verdant Whisperer

once we learn how to specifically manipulate the terpene profile in strains, and understand terpenes and cannabinoids more we will be able to create strains tailors for doing specific jobs, one for pain one for sex one for physical labor, one for thinking, one tailored towards tripping balls, instead of just knowing certain strains are known for that because there high in these terpenes we can tailor the strains to meet the needs of breeder, consumers.

right

I personally have never bought into the whole terpene thing. I love turps but I doubt that they have more than a little affect on the effects. They make for so.e wonderful session smoke .

Don't get me wrong I will go out on a limb for some nice tasting weed and schwagg gets the compost bin

Verdant Whisperer

Edit, posted wrong information initially, removed. my initial thought from reading text was tannins inhibit cognitive function but i misinterpreted the information, i had ai interpret information from study, and it told me that tannins actually help protect the brain, indirectly increasing cognitive function.

VW -"so its saying if anything tannins reduce cognative impairment"

GPT -"Yes, that's correct. The studies mentioned suggest that tannins, particularly those derived from various plant sources like green tea and grape seeds, have shown neuroprotective effects. This implies that tannins may help protect nerve cells from damage, which could potentially be beneficial in reducing cognitive impairment."

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

I personally have never bought into the whole terpene thing. I love turps but I doubt that they have more than a little affect on the effects. They make for so.e wonderful session smoke .

Don't get me wrong I will go out on a limb for some nice tasting weed and schwagg gets the compost bin
Terpenes have powerful effects, if your curious make a strong lavender tea and relax or opposite make a peppermint tea for energy better to use fresh material than pre-packages teas. i just made a tea with mint, eucalyptus , and rosemary for focus and energy.

Verdant Whisperer

If you guys want some actual scientific articles related to this and the other topics the op has posted, check out Sams bibliography page, it contains actual scientific studies not AI assisted theories and conjecture…

This very discussion is in a published study there…

Its a lot of studies to look through could you please tell me where to find in the thread information pertaining to this discussion about certain terpenes being related to a trippy effect? in the meantime ill try and find it looks like some good stuff, some of it is advanced reading for me but ill do my best. Edit: i found the guide where terpene and flavanoid sections are.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
You lost me with the AI generated stuff. Read real studies as Brother suggests. The role of terpenes has long been suggested.

I think what makes us high is much more complex than terpenes and THC content. I've had varieties that I can hardly smell that have been amazing, and other varieties that smell amazing, but weren't.

We have legally prescribed medical cannabis where I am, and terpenes are listed for every variety. Having tried a few it is very hit and miss to make selection based on terpenes alone.

Verdant Whisperer

You lost me with the AI generated stuff. Read real studies as Brother suggests. The role of terpenes has long been suggested.

I think what makes us high is much more complex than terpenes and THC content. I've had varieties that I can hardly smell that have been amazing, and other varieties that smell amazing, but weren't.

We have legally prescribed medical cannabis where I am, and terpenes are listed for every variety. Having tried a few it is very hit and miss to make selection based on terpenes alone.
I am suggesting these terpenes are associated and enhance the trippy effects, im not saying they are soley responsible. I like the format AI put information in, it is easy to read and does a better job of getting the point across than myself and is more descriptive and knows the correct terminology in each situation. google considers AI generated documents more reliable and are in favor of them on their search engine for example. and regardless of AI generated, my studies are real studies that i conducted, i wanted to shed some light on area's that i don't find common information on. Regardless of them being conjectures and not scientifically proven, I believe this information to be true based on my finding and wanted to share it with the community and get feedback. I am proud of myself and i wanted to share my findings with the community. It feels good to learn and possibly find out something new. I want to personally find a way to contribute to the species of cannabis. I love that plant so much.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran

They have Everything to do with the Effects , Sativa is Hemp all psychoactive weed are Indica's Afganica WLD NLD , the different terpene types and amounts in the strain create the effect of the high , "ie" what we call sativa or indica , High vs Stoned Cerebral vs narcotic , flavors ect is all entourage effect .
older strains from 70's have a cerebral effect due to less terpenes and amounts . Todays strains have so much Terps in them , All the High's are muddled
Terpenes are also a form of Aroma Therapy they have healing attributes and trigger certain memories , Also THC on its own will not get you high

Verdant Whisperer

If you guys want some actual scientific articles related to this and the other topics the op has posted, check out Sams bibliography page, it contains actual scientific studies not AI assisted theories and conjecture…

This very discussion is in a published study there…

Not one article in that whole page even closely related to this thead, this thread and alot ive started are creative and new perspectives.

Gry

Veteran
They have Everything to do with the Effects , Sativa is Hemp all psychoactive weed are Indica's Afganica WLD NLD , the different terpene types and amounts in the strain create the effect of the high , "ie" what we call sativa or indica , High vs Stoned Cerebral vs narcotic , flavors ect is all entourage effect .
older strains from 70's have a cerebral effect due to less terpenes and amounts . Todays strains have so much Terps in them , All the High's are muddled
Terpenes are also a form of Aroma Therapy they have healing attributes and trigger certain memories , Also THC on its own will not get you high
Any chance that you could provide source info on the claim that THC alone will not get one high ?

Gry

Veteran
Any chance that you could provide source info on the claim that THC alone will not get one high ?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I am suggesting these terpenes are associated and enhance the trippy effects, im not saying they are soley responsible. I like the format AI put information in, it is easy to read and does a better job of getting the point across than myself and is more descriptive and knows the correct terminology in each situation. google considers AI generated documents more reliable and are in favor of them on their search engine for example. and regardless of AI generated, my studies are real studies that i conducted, i wanted to shed some light on area's that i don't find common information on. Regardless of them being conjectures and not scientifically proven, I believe this information to be true based on my finding and wanted to share it with the community and get feedback. I am proud of myself and i wanted to share my findings with the community. It feels good to learn and possibly find out something new. I want to personally find a way to contribute to the species of cannabis. I love that plant so much.
What studies have you done, and how were they done? I am not discounting that terpenes play a role, but I consider one role among many, such as minor cannabinoids. I think it's extremely complex.

For example, a lot of the medical cannabis strains I use are high in caryophyllene which you stated should be trippy, yet the strains I get that are high in this are nothing of the sort.

Gry

Veteran
My first educational experience with cannabis info came from "Cannabis Alchemy " purchased at EarthWorks
when it was in the same building as the DC Switchboard in 1972. From there, I stumbled over to the Library
of Congress, where they hooked me up with the work of O'Shaughnessy , to Adams, and then finally to
the nice man over in Israel who is credited with the documentation of THC.
I recall hearing Sam speak of doing straight THC years ago. I do not think that I have ever heard what it is
that you are claiming. Frankly I have always liked the cannabis with some of the more impressive numbers
attached. Had a cut that was delivering 32- 38 % THC, that made me real pleased.
My single greatest regret in is not grabbing some of the genetics from Sam when they were still available.

Gry

Veteran
Can recall a time when this kind of content was brought up in the section dealing with extractions.
I always thought Jump117 described it eloquently in his silver ladyboys thread.
Graywolf did the same on his content dealing with extract that is processed with acetic acid.
What has been a real bellringer for me, has been live extractions, the flavor of the terps adds
a good deal to the experience for me. I have been consuming extracts sublingually for the most part
anymore, and I dearly love the feeling of the terps lighting me up as soon as I get the extract in my mouth.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Something I've wondered is if terpenes are mainly responsible for the high, what about edibles? I consume cannabis by vaping, eating both fermented (cobs) and decarbed bud, mixed with various oils. On any given variety the highs are similar, although not identical. Anyone familiar with cobs would know that the taste is completely transformed, and I assume so are the terpenes? So why does the high remain essentially the same?