What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes and Their Role in Shaping Cannabis Experiences: Trippy and Grounded Strains

Verdant Whisperer

"It's important to note that the information provided in this section is based on the author's conjecture, drawn from their research and understanding of cannabis evolution."

Introduction: In the realm of cannabis, strains offer a kaleidoscope of experiences. Some lead to mind-bending journeys, often described as "trippy", while others provide a more anchored and grounded sensation. While THC remains the primary player, research has unveiled the significant role of terpenes—aromatic compounds in cannabis—in shaping a strain's effects. Additionally, the presence of low CBD levels in trippy strains amplifies the psychoactive potential, while in grounded strains, CBD plays a crucial role in balancing the overall experience.

The Trippy Terpenes: Amidst the diverse terpene landscape, five have stood out for their potential contribution to trippy effects: β-caryophyllene (BCP), terpinolene, alpha-pinene, ocimene, and limonene.

β-caryophyllene (BCP): Unique for its anti-inflammatory potential, BCP stands out for its interaction with CB2 receptors. In strains like Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, elevated BCP levels may enhance the trippy experience by synergizing with THC, intensifying both the onset and overall effects. Additionally, BCP is analgesic and could enhance the dissociation with the body, further amplifying the trippy experience.

Terpinolene: Renowned for its antioxidant properties, terpinolene is frequently found in strains known for their energetic and uplifting effects. In Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, heightened terpinolene levels could amplify the strain's ability to provide an invigorating high.

Alpha-Pinene: With a distinct piney aroma, alpha-pinene is associated with anti-inflammatory benefits and heightened focus. Found in Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, it combines with other terpenes to promote a clear and focused high, potentially intensifying the overall experience.

Ocimene: Characterized by its sweet, citrusy, and occasionally woody scent, ocimene boasts anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. In Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, ocimene's presence may augment the strains' energetic and euphoric effects, contributing to the trippy experience, with an added intensity.

Limonene: Sporting a lively citrus scent, limonene is linked to mood enhancement, anti-anxiety, and anti-depressant properties. In Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, limonene potentially intensifies the trippy effects by promoting an uplifting and energetic high, increasing the overall intensity of the experience.

Grounded Terpenes: For those seeking a more grounded experience, strains containing these terpenes may be of interest:

Myrcene: Exhibiting an earthy, musky aroma, myrcene is recognized for its relaxing and sedative properties, potentially enhanced in intensity.

Linalool: With a floral, lavender-like fragrance, linalool offers calming, sedative, and potentially anti-anxiety effects, potentially intensified in experience.

Humulene: Boasting an earthy, woody aroma, humulene may act as an appetite suppressant and contribute to a grounded sensation, potentially with an added intensity.

Beta-Pinene: Embodying a piney, resinous scent, beta-pinene potentially offers anti-inflammatory benefits while aiding focus and alertness, potentially with increased intensity.

Phytol: Emitting a sweet, floral aroma, phytol carries sedative and calming properties, potentially heightened in intensity.

Geraniol: Known for its sweet, rosy scent, geraniol brings potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, contributing to a grounded experience, potentially with an increased intensity.

Nerolidol: With a woody, citrusy aroma, nerolidol offers potential sedative and relaxing effects, further enhancing a grounded sensation, potentially with an added intensity.

These terpenes are more likely to induce a relaxed and grounded experience, counteracting the euphoric and energetic effects often associated with "trippy" strains.

Smoking Amnesia Haze in 2012 In Amsterdam , I can attest to its trippyness, I had to walk outside the coffee shop and sit my ass down, the smoke inside was too much after smoking this and i was use to smoking crippy at the time. trip weed is different for sure.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
"It's important to note that the information provided in this section is based on the author's conjecture, drawn from their research and understanding of cannabis evolution."

Introduction: In the realm of cannabis, strains offer a kaleidoscope of experiences. Some lead to mind-bending journeys, often described as "trippy", while others provide a more anchored and grounded sensation. While THC remains the primary player, research has unveiled the significant role of terpenes—aromatic compounds in cannabis—in shaping a strain's effects. Additionally, the presence of low CBD levels in trippy strains amplifies the psychoactive potential, while in grounded strains, CBD plays a crucial role in balancing the overall experience.

The Trippy Terpenes: Amidst the diverse terpene landscape, five have stood out for their potential contribution to trippy effects: β-caryophyllene (BCP), terpinolene, alpha-pinene, ocimene, and limonene.
  1. β-caryophyllene (BCP):
  • Unique for its anti-inflammatory potential, BCP stands out for its interaction with CB2 receptors. In strains like Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, elevated BCP levels may enhance the trippy experience by synergizing with THC.
  1. Terpinolene:
  • Renowned for its antioxidant properties, terpinolene is frequently found in strains known for their energetic and uplifting effects. In Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, heightened terpinolene levels could amplify the strain's ability to provide an invigorating high.
  1. Alpha-Pinene:
  • With a distinct piney aroma, alpha-pinene is associated with anti-inflammatory benefits and heightened focus. Found in Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, it combines with other terpenes to promote a clear and focused high.
  1. Ocimene:
  • Characterized by its sweet, citrusy, and occasionally woody scent, ocimene boasts anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. In Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, ocimene's presence may augment the strains' energetic and euphoric effects, contributing to the trippy experience.
  1. Limonene:
  • Sporting a lively citrus scent, limonene is linked to mood enhancement, anti-anxiety, and anti-depressant properties. In Thai Stick, Durban Poison, and Amnesia Haze, limonene potentially intensifies the trippy effects by promoting an uplifting and energetic high.
Grounded Terpenes: For those seeking a more grounded experience, strains containing these terpenes may be of interest:
  1. Myrcene:
  • Exhibiting an earthy, musky aroma, myrcene is recognized for its relaxing and sedative properties.
  1. Linalool:
  • With a floral, lavender-like fragrance, linalool offers calming, sedative, and potentially anti-anxiety effects.
  1. Humulene:
  • Boasting an earthy, woody aroma, humulene may act as an appetite suppressant and contribute to a grounded sensation.
  1. Beta-Pinene:
  • Embodying a piney, resinous scent, beta-pinene potentially offers anti-inflammatory benefits while aiding focus and alertness.
  1. Phytol:
  • Emitting a sweet, floral aroma, phytol carries sedative and calming properties.
These terpenes are more likely to induce a relaxed and grounded experience, counteracting the euphoric and energetic effects often associated with "trippy" strains.

Smoking Amnesia Haze in 2012 In Amsterdam , I can attest to its trippyness, I had to walk outside the coffee shop and sit my ass down, the smoke inside was too much after smoking this and i was use to smoking crippy at the time. trip weed is different for sure.
It's kind of advanced and may be hard to get info. Thanks for posting.

Ca++

The article escapes me, but they have recently shown a terpene that works with along with one of the psychoactive substances. It wasn't a name that sticks in my mind, so they must be working through a list. Suggesting the common one's didn't produce a notable effect. I think the name had a 2 in it.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for sharing. I am thinking about getting my strain, Sativa Candy Chunk, tested. I would like to start to understand more about the different terpenes. Is there a kit you can order with isolates of each one to smell test or do you just have to taste different strains that are dominant in certain terpenes?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where did you get the article? If posting content from other writers, its important to give them credit. I thought you wrote it.

Verdant Whisperer

The article escapes me, but they have recently shown a terpene that works with along with one of the psychoactive substances. It wasn't a name that sticks in my mind, so they must be working through a list. Suggesting the common one's didn't produce a notable effect. I think the name had a 2 in it.
Beta-Caryophyllene probably that works with cannabinoid receptors along with thc the main psychoactive compound in cannabis.

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

Where did you get the article? If posting content from other writers, its important to give them credit. I thought you wrote it.
This is my original idea you won't find a similar article online i guided ai to write the article after collecting information and putting in my input, the best way is get your strain tested. i have theories about terpenes and there profiles, i would get your strain tested to see the terpenes that are in there and then learn more about the terpenes in your strain, so you can smell the different profiles, one might be more limonene pheno, and more sour, or another more pine, or herbal and if you know what terpenes are in your strain and which ones associate you can guess, its harder for non landraces for me to guess a strains profile, landraces are kinda easier based off my theories on terpenes and already known knowledge. but once you know the main terpenes in your strain, you can tell which ones are more dominant by nose after and taste. in regards to article i had a theory about it based on my investiagions and i looked up 3 strains known for trippy effects and the terpenes in the strains based off of profiles matched the terpenes that i thought where responsible based on their effects and properties. the reason i say get it tested is alot of the terpenes have similiar smells and aromas, so thats'll help tell the difference instead of maybe guessing right.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool thanks for the input! Greatly appriciated sharing this knowledge with us! There are a couple dominant phenotypes in my line, so would be good to have them all tested since I'm familiar with them. Just got a recommendation for a lab from a friend today.

I thought I heard someone on The Potcast saying Pinene can have a couple types of different smells depending on form.

Verdant Whisperer

p thanks for the input! Greatly appriciated sharing this knowledge with us! There are a couple dominant phenotypes in my line, so would be good to have them all tested since I'm familiar with them. Just got a recommendation for a lab from a friend today.

I thought I heard someone on The Potcast saying Pinene can have a couple types of different smells depending on form.
Alpha and Beta Pinene: I noticed alpha pinnie is more water soluble and seen more in landraces from wet places so i associate pinene possibly as an aid in humidity regulation, alpha helping keep humidity away like a shield, while beta more water soluble to help the plant in drier environments. this is speculation but until there are researched and proven studies I'm going to stick with my observations and go with them until i know better or there proven. as far as flavors and aromas of the 2 here they are: PS I love that you started your own line im working on doing the same, i want a sativa line specifically for creativity and focus, without being racy.
Alpha-Pinene:

• Aroma: Fresh, piney, earthy, woody
  • Flavor: Resinous, slightly minty, herbal, with a hint of sweetness
Beta-Pinene:

• Aroma: Sweet, piney, herbal, sometimes floral
  • Flavor: Piney, resinous, slightly minty, softer or milder compared to alpha-pinene

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How does onset of cold effect terpenes? Some say cold helps the terpenes to ripen and be more fragrant to finish.

Verdant Whisperer

How does onset of cold effect terpenes? Some say cold helps the terpenes to ripen and be more fragrant to finish.
Thats a good question, im not sure about terpenes and temperatures, possibly keeping the temperatures in check helps makes sure less of your more fragile terpenes do not degrade? there may be certain terpenes that help the plant cope with cold environments, or it may be hormonal shifts which effect the production of certain terpenes. it's worth looking into.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Terpenes especially in the monoterpene group evaporate easily at room temperature, so the hotter your flower room the more evaporation.

While we have receptors for thc, the terpenes works on the limbic system of the brain 🧠.

1696312192320.png

romanoweed

i just heard yesterday that If you companion Plant other Plants with a certain Terpene, lets say Pinene, then the plant can / or will make your Cannabis get the same smell (pinene in this Case) . That is however only if your Strain of Cannbis already would produce this Terpene. Then it can just boost it !

So, i watched trough all the 5 Trippyness-terpenes here , and if you would plant Celery and Valerian next to your Cannbis then you would have covered 4 of the 5 listed Trippyterpenes, and boosted them.

(if that terpene-boost-theory is truth. Just one guy said it, it may also be an untrue).

romanoweed

does anyone know anti-anxiety terpenes commonly found in cannabis (well they musta be low in todays hybrids, but in landraces). thaat would interest me.

BillyKramer

The problem with this hand me down terpene research is that it comes from the terpene industry.

Ask someone without a nose which terpene changed their sex drive. Turns out the nose doesn't know, it's only persuasive to your mental capacity. It's odd how these chemicals have no chemical interaction, don't smell like weed, taste bad, but are still in 2023 considered anything but a flaw in Cannabis. Cannabis hates science. Unless it's sponsored by big pharma or big vape pen? Hmmm..

My lemon weed smells for a block. A jar of limonene doesn't.. One tastes like lemons. One tastes like lemon peels. One gets you high and treats medical issues. One doesn't. One comes in a vape pen. One doesn't. Yet we keep propping up the one that doesn't do the most. The only thing legit weed volatiles don't do is get mentioned in the weed community.

Verdant Whisperer

i just heard yesterday that If you companion Plant other Plants with a certain Terpene, lets say Pinene, then the plant can / or will make your Cannabis get the same smell (pinene in this Case) . That is however only if your Strain of Cannbis already would produce this Terpene. Then it can just boost it !

So, i watched trough all the 5 Trippyness-terpenes here , and if you would plant Celery and Valerian next to your Cannbis then you would have covered 4 of the 5 listed Trippyterpenes, and boosted them.

(if that terpene-boost-theory is truth. Just one guy said it, it may also be an untrue).
I read a study earlier about preserving terpenes in cannabis storage where they added extra terpenes and the buds just from having the terpenes in the air around them absorbed the excess terpenes, so anything fragrant enough to smell has potential to change terpenes of cannabis next to it, alot of the terpenes are allelopathic(inhibits growth of nearby plants), such as pinene and limonene in high concentrations, so having rotting lemon peels next to your plant might inhibit root growth, where planting lemongrass next to it might, actually have a beneficial effect on some terpene profiles ect. i think your onto something, look at the reputation Indian strains have for being spicy, and how many spices high in caryophyllene historically originated from this region.

Verdant Whisperer

does anyone know anti-anxiety terpenes commonly found in cannabis (well they musta be low in todays hybrids, but in landraces). thaat would interest me.
I would recommended Linalool for anti-anxiety, Humulene for grounding caryophyllene to help relax pathways, which works both ways depending on terpene profile can enhance both trippyness and Relaxation theoretically by speeding up the effects of the terpenes and cannabinoids. with lower limonene levels to boost mood and levels of ocimene to contribute to the overall feeling of well being without being overly energetic. so it would be like 25% myrcene, 20% Beta Caryophyllene, 10%Beta- Pinene , 10% Limonene, 10% Linalool,10% Ocimene 5% Terpinolene + Phytol and lower levels of other terpenes. this combination in my mind would promote a happy, relaxed feeling, while having enough pinene to not feel lost from thc, without being overly alert, at the same time enough limonene to feel happy without being euphoric, enough myrcene to relax without being sedated. and based on my theories an outdoor plant would not be healthy without certain levels of pinene and limonene and myrcene these of some of the more important terpenes as they help the plant deal with humidity, uv, and sensing light changes.

romanoweed

he speculated that a plant that has pinene will have correlating Signals that the Roots of this Plant send out to the Microbial Life in the Soil.
So, and if a Cannbis plant contains pinene it will also send pinenen-correlating Signals from the roots.

And when Cannabis now stands next to a plant witch sends the same signals into the soil then it will get more of the according Nutrients , because it stands closeby to a pant wich sends same`ish signals like itselve into Soil. So: Pinene containing Cannbis next to a Pinene Containing other Herbs would produce more pinene.
ITs a specuation i heard.

Verdant Whisperer

This landrace might fit that description for a sativa variety Sheelawathi, or Sheelavathi From Indian Landrace Exchange or LandraceMafia -
As of today, Sheelavathi stands as one of the most potent and savoured cultivars in india. Her leaves are much darker and her bud structure is always fairly dense and harder than its predecessors Kerala Gold or Idukki, or any other equatorial sativa originating from India. A very interesting thing about Sheelavathi that we ascertained is the novelty of its terpene profile because the moment you come near the plant you can definitely smell wild flowers mixed with spices, but the taste is more inclined towards pine and hashish with undertones of flowers that will leave your senses charmed.

Sheelavathi has been crowned as one of the most beloved strains of india in a very short time and reasons, well; the effects - Its a double decker effect and potency coupled with the calming serenity/relaxation which creates a perfectly balanced high.