What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes and Their Role in Shaping Cannabis Experiences: Trippy and Grounded Strains

Ca++

THC alone will not get someone high. THC-A will get you high, it has to be activated.
THC-A, where the A means acid, is what the plant produces. It basically needs heating before it becomes THC. As the acid form, it's not thought to have any effect, but THC is one of the three scheduled substances in cannabis, due to it's psychoactive properties.

It has been isolated and released as medication, where about 1 in 10 people won't use it, because of it's effects.

THC is also said to do nothing, because a couple of guys smoked some, and didn't think it did anything. This idea has stayed within the community for decades.

THC is a terpenoid. Making it a terpene with a bit more going on. That's my scientific explanation of it :)

Verdant Whisperer

THC-A, where the A means acid, is what the plant produces. It basically needs heating before it becomes THC. As the acid form, it's not thought to have any effect, but THC is one of the three scheduled substances in cannabis, due to it's psychoactive properties.

It has been isolated and released as medication, where about 1 in 10 people won't use it, because of it's effects.

THC is also said to do nothing, because a couple of guys smoked some, and didn't think it did anything. This idea has stayed within the community for decades.

THC is a terpenoid. Making it a terpene with a bit more going on. That's my scientific explanation of it :)
Thankyou for correction, I had that backwards, I figured A stood for activated it was the active form for our receptors, but was wrong it stand for acid. I figured he was talking about the form that isn't heated and doesn't have the same effect. because to say thc has no effect once its activated in regards to has effects on our bodies, with all due respect is absurd. i've seen the word acid in its description, but my desire to defend hrpuffnkush who was backing my side of the discussion, clouded my mind. just an example of the ego at work. I knew better but in the moment, I didn't, if that makes sense. i've seen the the whole word with acid in its description many times but its something that never was imprinted on me until now. now ill never confuse them.

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
Robert o Connel Clark
The name is one I am familiar with, but I don't recall reading that he had
such a perspective.
I do recall reading here, Sam mentioning doing samples of purified THC and saying it was not enjoyable enough to merit repeating the experience.
Am aware that Sam and RCC have been friends going back to their younger days.
I would not be at all surprised to find out that the two of them did
the solo THC together. Been quite a while since I read the thread, but it was right here in one of the many threads that Sam did contribute to.
I would think that the one to make such a claim would be their pal
from Israel who was the first to synthesize THC. Dr Mechoulam .
I sure have enjoyed the time spent in reading threads of Sam here.
He stated frequently that he preferred strong cannabis, which he
selected for in his personal grows.

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

The name is one I am familiar with, but I don't recall reading that he had
such a perspective.
I do recall reading here, Sam mentioning doing samples of purified THC and saying it was not enjoyable enough to merit repeating the experience.
Am aware that Sam and RCC have been friends going back to their younger days.
I would not be at all surprised to find out that the two of them did
the solo THC together. Been quite a while since I read the thread, but it was right here in one of the many threads that Sam did contribute to.
I would think that the one to make such a claim would be their pal
from Israel who was the first to synthesize THC. Dr Mechoulam .
I sure have enjoyed the time spent in reading threads of Sam here.
He stated frequently that he preferred strong cannabis, which he
selected for in his personal grows.
You veterans have been in the cannabis game for a good minute, I am impressed by the knowledge of most of the well-known members here.

romanoweed

there was a report on TV about Cannbis. A british Reporter tried pure THC in it . She had an effect definitly, and found it to produce negative Sideeffects (well just things like Anxiety or depressive thoughts) like the Hash-sample she sampled in a amsterdam Coffeshop infront of the Cam.
Reporter was a nonsmoker before. So, thats what she told.. She tried buds too and had better expereince without that negative effect she said.

That was the message of the docotr too who gave the pure thc that it has negative Sideeffects more often than a Bud .

Gry

Veteran
I consider myself to have been more blessed than I ever deserved in having Sam respond to me a couple of times over the years.
I have through this site, been able to communicate with the author of Cannabis Alchemy, who was also the same individual who produced and sold the iso 2.
This has always been the most amazing site, it has always delivered more than I ever expected.

Last edited:

Brother Nature

(A)-Those post you pointed out are not relevant to this conversation specifically, it has the word terpene in them, but the information doesn't apply directly, its good info don't get me wrong just not specific to this context. if anything the knowledge from these studies was used in finding my results.

(B)- Only using one site as a knowledge base(while this site has a ton), and not other sources, like search engines, and Ai to search vast articles for you would be limiting your knowledge base.
Oh ok, you’re one of those. Good luck on your journey mate.

Brother Nature

(y)
Troll-illustration-Norwegian-Fairy-Tales-Peter-Christen-1895.jpg

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I looked into you, you are proud of your reputation as a troll on the fourms here.
Brother Nature went to the trouble of finding articles and giving advice on how to search.

This site has a wealth of information collected from many different sources. If you want to close your mind to that it is your issue.

Brother Nature

As you can see from his first post, his intention was not to contribute to this conversation, firstly he said my workis not scientific, and stated my work was not original that i had taken it from his link with the original posting. which is not true at all, then he insulted me by refering to me as "one of them" when i told him that my work was not listed in the studies as he said indirectly i had taken those studies and started this thread. he shoudn't be saying that in the first place without knowing for sure.
You have incorrectly interpreted the meanings of my posts. I actually agree with most of what you are posting and was trying to assist in you developing your theories so they come across more presentable. Literally every post you have made has a scientific studies associated with it, I wasn’t trying to say that you weren’t being original just that others have also asked and explored the same questions as you, their studies could be beneficial for you to read up on as well.

This is the advanced science and botany section of the site, to be taken seriously you will need to be able to present and defend your work and ideas, that is how it works in the real world and why studies get funded, proven, disproven, updated, etc… popping in with conjecture, stating you get your info from an ai that is highly underdeveloped, not using a scientific method to determine your outcomes, then stating you don’t want to listen or learn that way isn’t going to fly.

You have some great ideas that are worthy of discussion, you’re just not the only one and that is fine, we’re all here to learn off each other. I hope I haven’t derailed your thread too much.

Verdant Whisperer

You have incorrectly interpreted the meanings of my posts. I actually agree with most of what you are posting and was trying to assist in you developing your theories so they come across more presentable. Literally every post you have made has a scientific studies associated with it, I wasn’t trying to say that you weren’t being original just that others have also asked and explored the same questions as you, their studies could be beneficial for you to read up on as well.

This is the advanced science and botany section of the site, to be taken seriously you will need to be able to present and defend your work and ideas, that is how it works in the real world and why studies get funded, proven, disproven, updated, etc… popping in with conjecture, stating you get your info from an ai that is highly underdeveloped, not using a scientific method to determine your outcomes, then stating you don’t want to listen or learn that way isn’t going to fly.

You have some great ideas that are worthy of discussion, you’re just not the only one and that is fine, we’re all here to learn off each other. I hope I haven’t derailed your thread too much.
I only wanted to share my idea's and this section of the forums seemed like the best fit, since its a more advanced topic. and you just take alot of what i say out of context. for example stating that i get my information only from ai, which is not true if you read my comment carefully, I used ai to do additional researching and organize and contemplate information, most of the information that was used to even start the conversation from ai has been from my investigation into cannabis that started more than 7 years ago. First Learning how to grow, and about the nutrients, lighting, ect ect now interested in breeeding and I want to find out of much as i can, and certain areas are grey zones, that need more research and my speculations could bring more light to areas that need more proper studies. just look at the examples of sage and gdp from the other thread i posted, earlier in the thread they match the description of what the article is expressing. Thank you for clarifying your intent and complimenting the ideas. The last time i checked comparing different information to come up with a hypothesis about something is a scientific method.

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

Geraniol has antidepressant properties.
Interesting, It looks like it shares chemical structure similarities with Linalool, which is known for same properties, and citronellol. so i imagine citronellol is an antidepressant as well. whats also interesting is that they are all pest repellent terpenes, like linalool for the moths, and geraniol for leaf hoppers, and its known bugs alot of dont like citronella grass. these same protection terpenes, also add to the antidepressant effect. Theres a reason i just don't know why. i speculate as the plant is under insect stress, it releases more of these terpenes to help relax while under the stress of attack at the same time as repelling the bugs, so they have dual properties within the plant repelling insects and relaxing the plant from insect stress. i've seen alot things effect plants similiar to humans, terpenes, even caffine. so if it relaxes the plant from stress, thats probably why it does the same for us.

"Geraniol shares a similar structure with other monoterpenes, particularly with citronellol and linalool. These compounds are all classified as acyclic monoterpenols due to their similar basic structure, which includes a linear chain of ten carbon atoms and a hydroxyl (-OH) group." - GPT

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

caryophyllene to help relax pathways, which works both ways depending on terpene profile can enhance both trippyness and Relaxation theoretically by speeding up the effects of the terpenes and cannabinoids.

What studies have you done, and how were they done? I am not discounting that terpenes play a role, but I consider one role among many, such as minor cannabinoids. I think it's extremely complex.

For example, a lot of the medical cannabis strains I use are high in caryophyllene which you stated should be trippy, yet the strains I get that are high in this are nothing of the sort.
I responded in the comments, but i had it only in the trippy section because i associate BCP with faster onset of high and effects depending on profile, and for relaxing qualities i consider a slower onset more presentable than fast onset as far as slowly relaxing someone into a calm state than instantly inducing that state. its like drinking a coffee or taking an expresso shot, everyone has their preference.

Also all terpenes are hydrocarbons so giving them higher levels of co2 and water, and the light and nutrients to match, the plant should have more available hydrogen and carbon to build hydrocarbons(terpenes).

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

does anyone know anti-anxiety terpenes commonly found in cannabis (well they musta be low in todays hybrids, but in landraces). thaat would interest me.
found this also:
curious case of nerolidol

curious case of nerolidol

i've read this article Cannabis and the Anxiety of Fragmentation—A Systems Approach for Finding an Anxiolytic Cannabis Chemotype where it says that strains highest in nerolidol has the most anti-anxiety properties. what surprises me is that they name bubba kush as the strain highest in nerolidol. i found the test and it indeed has nerolidol as highest terpene. here's screenshot:

i am mostly familiar with terpene tests done by sclabs and i've never seen a bubba with such high nerolidol. in fact, the majority of samples have rather negligible nerolidol content.

i've looked through all the bubba tests i took screenshots of back then sclab's tests were open to public access. long story short i did found few examples of high nerolidol bubba, interesting that they both came from the same dispensary. this dispensary also got tahoe og sample pretty high in nerolidol. i have also looked through other strains to see if there are any other high nerolidol varieties and found some more. it seems that nerolidol expression have strong ties with some external factors, most probably soil microorganisms: for example, most bubba, tahoe, gorilla_glue or zkittlez sample have no spiked nerolidol, while some samples have it as one of the dominant terpenes.

as a side note i notice marked similarities between bubba and sour diesel terpene profiles: the overall content is higher with sour diesel, but relative ratios looks rather similar.

_____

Verdant Whisperer

Learning more about the terpenes, I think they are related to colors in a sense, the plant has its primary terpenes, that mix to create a wide variety of terpenes/colors*. Looking at terpinolene especially is a good example how it posses the aromas of all three primary terpenes/ not including the bases black being BCP- and white being unknown. This is a basic example and there are more complexities at play but I think its an interesting way of looking at terpenes.

Alpha-pinene – [Primary] Fresh Woody Scent, with Earthy undertones.

Limonene - [Primary] - Light, Fresh, and Sweet Citrus Scent

Myrcene - [Primary] - Herbal Scent, with Earthy and Fruity notes.

BCP - [Primary] - Spicy/Woody

Phytol - [Primary] - Floral and Grassy Scent.

Linalool – [Secondary] – Floral and Spicy notes.

Humulene – [Secondary] Woody, Earthy and Spicy.

Ocimene- [Secondary] Herbal, Citrus, and Woody Scents.

Terpinolene – [Secondary] Sweet, Herbal with subtle hints of Woodiness and touches of Citrus.

Beta-Pinene – [Secondary] Earthy, Woody, Piney.

“This perspective aligns with the concept of terpene biosynthesis, where a variety of terpenes can be formed through different enzymatic reactions and combinations of basic building blocks (isoprene units).”- GPT

Alpha-Pinene:
  • Humidity Aid
  • Anti-Fungal
  • Allelopathic
  • Antioxidant
  • Insect Repellent (noted for its potential insect-repelling properties)
  • Protection Against Pathogens (known for its potential to protect plants against certain pathogens
Limonene:
  • UV Aid
  • Anti Bacterial
  • Allelopathic
  • Antioxidant
  • Insect Repellent (particularly beneficial in warm climates with high insect activity)
  • Potential Protection Against Fungal Pathogens (especially in warm and humid conditions)
  • Contribution to Coping with Cold Stress (in colder climates)
Myrcene:
  • Calming Presence
  • Growth Regulation
  • Flowering Transition Facilitator
  • Circadian Rhythm Response
  • Metabolic Stress Response
  • Antioxidant
  • Allelopathic
Beta-Caryophyllene (BCP):
  • Enhances Growth Regulation (via auxin signaling)
  • May Reduce Stress Responses (with potential analgesic effects)
  • Optimizes Resource Allocation
  • Promotes Growth Processes
  • Improves Developmental Programs
  • Allelopathic
  • Antioxidant
Phytol:
  • Photosynthetic Support
  • Antioxidant Properties
  • Structural Component of Chlorophyll
  • Anti-Microbial Potential
  • Regulation of Plant Growth
  • Metabolic Modulation