What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

?? Terpene Boosters -- Which One ??

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
When I was stuck on bottles I started looking closely at the ingredients that they contained.
You may be able to do the same through simple internet searches.

Anyway, I noticed a single ingredient that was very consistent in the products I was using & reading about for the specific purpose of increasing trichome density.
The product I recognized in all the formulas was simply kelp. Specifically, nodosium (if that's right) kelp.

As far as bottles go.. Bcuzz bloom... best out there.. I use bottles indoors n there is a notable difference with this product included... but like mjpassion said its basically kelp... it's also an older product that stood the test of time... Fuk all those newer products with the cannabis grower in mind, secret ingredients, if they advertise with names like terpinator that should be a red flag They are snake juice or toxic , proper nutrition n dialed environment n what's needed,

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Here is a discussion I cut and pasted form a different forum about GrowMore's Mendocino Avalanche from a few years back; imo, it is worth reading and on point.

Hey Snipe sorry for the lagfest on the response...Mendocino Avalanche is hard to make comparisons for other nutrients available in the market because it is truly unique. I'll start by saying that because we manufacture our nutrients in CA and we register everything here in CA first; we are bound by the toughest/strictest labeling laws in all the land besides Oregon. With these strict requirements comes along "Claims Made" on the labels that must be substantiated. CDFA had a tug of war going back and forth for over a year to get the claim on the label "Flower Hardener" to be able to stick. You can look in my photo albums and see that the CDFA report I got back shows that there is NO carcinogenic PGR's in the mix that Gravity/Bushmaster, PhosphoLoad, etc have in them. In our lab we extract/isolate a few different compounds from our organic seaweed and that's make up the majority of the Avalanche formula. Within Seaweed is a host of beneficial, naturally occurring hormones and PGR's that are beneficial to plants at various stages of development. Below is a writeup I did for Maximum Yield last year.
"Fortified with Norwegian kelp extract, which supplies organic carbon, amino acids and carbohydrates for use on most flowering plants, hydroponic plants, indoor, outdoor, or field-grown plant. Avalanche is a refined seaweed extract, yet, instead of additional synthetic, carcinogenic hormones, Avalanche purposely contains a small amount of a phosphorus compound. Basically, Mendocino Avalanche helps stimulate the plant to increase its flowering and alone signals a plant to do more of what it is currently doing. If the correct nutrients are present for flower formation, then the plant’s performance will be enhanced (which includes copper and a few other 'secret' hardening compounds). This is why I recommend using Grow More’s Mendocino Honey in conjunction with Avalanche to have a fully synergistic effect between the products and plant"
By using the carbohydrate source in the Mendo Honey it is able to fully feed the processes and microorgainsms within the medium of the plant and organics of the nutrients. Mendocino Avalanche won "Best New Product" at the Sunlight Supply buyers show in Las Vegas last year and it's been more popular over the US ever since and not just a west-coast secret any longer. That sounded like a pitch; i just meant Matter-Of-Fact...
Basically it's an organic based bio-stimulant that will not raise the ppm's by barely anything and can be added to any existing fertilizer regimen. It will increase weight and increase the ability to hold physical shape/size after drying and curing. I've also had the experience of noticing less dry plant matter being broken down into 'shake' after it's use. While the other 'Flower-Hardener's' that are on the market I feel decrease quality, Avalanche i can honestly say increases quality and yield by using organics the way the Kreb cycle intended. I hope that sheds a lil more light on the subject. It's definitely the only product registered that can make the claim "flower hardener" on the label in CA and i think that's nationwide as well...Ok enought of that tirade, let me know if there's something else I can help with.

I had personal conversations with the formulator at GrowMore and let's just say, he understands my desire to have the highest medical quality. Ratio of Avalanche:Blackstrap Molasses I use is 2:1.

Last edited:

rjrom90

https://www.amazon.com/HB-101-All-Purpose-Plant-Vitalizer-Fluid/dp/B00D6AHKOK

Although this product does supply the root-zone with additional turpenes, it does seem to encourage plants to produce more of their own turpenes. It also seems that the turpene profile of the plants is only enhanced and not influenced by the turpene profile of the nutrient.
I've been using a similar homemade formula:

1 tbsp water
1/16 tsp yucca extract (wetting agent)
shake until disolved
2 drops cedar oil
2 drops cypress oil
2 drops pine oil
shake again
treats 5 gallons

Last edited:

Jonny Lan

No problem, I didn't take it that way.:)

I'm a newb and this is a difficult learning process for me. There's so much information to consume, digest, absorb the good stuff, and poop out the bad stuff. Sometimes it gives me mental diarhea and other times it's constipation... I'm not sure which is worse.:D

I'm growing several strains and am buying more to try. Once I find the ones that are best for my medical needs plus taste great, I'll stick with those phenotypes.
Brown Thumb, have you tried building your own soil?

Ultimately i think you will get the best results that way, though i must admit it might be a bit less practical depending on your grow situation/style.

Some guys i know just a use pro mix mixed with Gaia organic amendments and just water with water the whole life cycle, with maybe a top up gaia at beginning of flower... so many different ways to do it, but i must agree with the guys that say to stay away from products like terpinator or products with mystery ingredients. I strongly agree with a statement made about having healthy plants and its genetic disposition, why i recommended you do some extensive pheno hunting starting with the best genetics.

Good luck to you brother may your future endeavours be prosperous.

brown_thumb

Brown Thumb, have you tried building your own soil?

Ultimately i think you will get the best results that way, though i must admit it might be a bit less practical depending on your grow situation/style.

Some guys i know just a use pro mix mixed with Gaia organic amendments and just water with water the whole life cycle, with maybe a top up gaia at beginning of flower... so many different ways to do it, but i must agree with the guys that say to stay away from products like terpinator or products with mystery ingredients. I strongly agree with a statement made about having healthy plants and its genetic disposition, why i recommended you do some extensive pheno hunting starting with the best genetics.

Good luck to you brother may your future endeavours be prosperous.

I'm modifying bagged soil, Victory brand Sea Blend. They no longer show it on their website but I was told it's essentially a clone of Fox Farms Ocean Forrest. My first two grows died because the soil straight from the bag didn't drain well.

I'm currently mixing 50 percent from the bag plus 25 percent perlite, 12.5 percent vermiculite and 12.5 percent rice hulls and drainage is excellent.

I'm using the complete line of Emerald Harvest hydro nutrients (2-part series) as directed by the instructions. I also use their extra additives plus Humax, seaweed extract, molasses, Terepenez (brand) and CaMg+. This seems to be working fine... I water to 10-20 percent runoff every time to prevent salt build-up.

brown_thumb

My young plants are already flowering. They're only 150-300mm tall but I buried the stems approximately 50mm when I transplanted them. I've been using Terpenez (brand) on these as recommended by a retailer to discourage insects and promote healthy growth.

Is it possible the Terpenez is causing early flowering? BTW, these only get about 9 hours of full sun. But they receive another 3 hours of bright shade light.

rjrom90

My young plants are already flowering. They're only 150-300mm tall but I buried the stems approximately 50mm when I transplanted them. I've been using Terpenez (brand) on these as recommended by a retailer to discourage insects and promote healthy growth.

Is it possible the Terpenez is causing early flowering? BTW, these only get about 9 hours of full sun. But they receive another 3 hours of bright shade light.
The similar product I linked to is actually known to encourage greater flower/fruit production as well as rejuvenating unhealthy plants. Usually a healthier plant will enter flower faster which may be the case here.

brown_thumb

The similar product I linked to is actually known to encourage greater flower/fruit production as well as rejuvenating unhealthy plants. Usually a healthier plant will enter flower faster which may be the case here.

If that's the case then I shouldn't be using this product until I flip to flower. And if more research indicates that's true then I'll be VERY PISSED at Hydro Galaxy. I'm already angry with them for charging me, a repeat customer, 50 percent more than their competitors with unwillingness to do anything about it. But those are another two subjects outside the purview of this thread.

rjrom90

Well it's probably more cost effective to use only in flower but since the home made recipe is so much more cost effective I use it in veg also.

brown_thumb

Well it's probably more cost effective to use only in flower but since the home made recipe is so much more cost effective I use it in veg also.

I've considered doing the same (making a home-brew terpene drench) but was/am unsure what I should add. My guess is beta-pinene, myrcene, linalool, limonene... but I'm unsure what else other than using aloe extract as an emulsifier.

Jonny Lan

didn't realise your outdoor. a bit early don't you think? well I guess it depends where you are. but I'd think u don't want to put clones out yet at least...

rjrom90

I've considered doing the same (making a home-brew terpene drench) but was/am unsure what I should add. My guess is beta-pinene, myrcene, linalool, limonene... but I'm unsure what else other than using aloe extract as an emulsifier.
That sounds like a good start. Just be careful not to over concentrate the solution. 1 drop of oil per gallon water seems to do the trick. Also worth noting is that pure turpenes aren't quite as effective as a full spectrum blend of secondary plant metabolites.

brown_thumb

didn't realise your outdoor. a bit early don't you think? well I guess it depends where you are. but I'd think u don't want to put clones out yet at least...

Not early at all. We haven't had a hard freeze since January and we've had an unusually warm/early spring. I put these out as 30cm plants mid February and trimmed the living hell out of them in an effort to learn manifolding. Consequently, they're producing a small fraction of what they were capable of. Live and learn!!

I'm just now experimenting with cloning but I'm sure I'll kill them. I topped the later 20-25cm plants, dipped the cuttings in Clonex and put them in my regular mix. That was two days ago and they're not dead yet. I have no idea what will happen... the cuttings were flowering when cloned. I'm probably keeping the soil too damp but in the heat of the day, they're drooping. They recuperate overnight and look great in the cool morning hours. I've begun watering with root stimulator because I'm fairly confident much or most of the Clonex has been flushed out.

brown_thumb

That sounds like a good start. Just be careful not to over concentrate the solution. 1 drop of oil per gallon water seems to do the trick. Also worth noting is that pure turpenes aren't quite as effective as a full spectrum blend of secondary plant metabolites.

Thank you. I need to research this further.

Stan G.

Interesting. Why not try composting your terp rich trim in with your soil and see if your next run is more terpy.

Stan G.

Not early at all. We haven't had a hard freeze since January and we've had an unusually warm/early spring. I put these out as 30cm plants mid February and trimmed the living hell out of them in an effort to learn manifolding. Consequently, they're producing a small fraction of what they were capable of. Live and learn!!

I'm just now experimenting with cloning but I'm sure I'll kill them. I topped the later 20-25cm plants, dipped the cuttings in Clonex and put them in my regular mix. That was two days ago and they're not dead yet. I have no idea what will happen... the cuttings were flowering when cloned. I'm probably keeping the soil too damp but in the heat of the day, they're drooping. They recuperate overnight and look great in the cool morning hours. I've begun watering with root stimulator because I'm fairly confident much or most of the Clonex has been flushed out.
Use humidity domes with clones to promote success.

hyposomniac

brown, you should look out for early spring flowering.. Long spring nights cause the begin of flower, then days get longer and reveg. I totally boned a kosher kush outside like that.

Latest posts

Latest posts