What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tennessee Hogsbreath Clone

True Facts On Hawgsbreath / Hogsbreath

True Facts On Hawgsbreath / Hogsbreath

Hello All, I see the most recent post on here is years old but in case anyone is reading through the archives like me, I thought I would set some facts straight. I've done a lot of research over the years and recently met the sister of the late San Diego Hawgsbreath Creator. There is a lot of confusion in regards to this strain. As far as I know there are two strains. The first one is San Diego Hawgsbreath. It was created By a man name James Gonzalez aka James "The Hawger" in Carlsbad, Ca 1988. It is a cross of Williams Wonder X Skunk #1 X NL#5 . This strain was a SoCal Legend and unfortunately James "The Hawger" Passed about 10 years ago. Before James Died He Did Some Work With San Diego Breeder and Seed Company Owner Matt Riot Of Riot Seed Co. One of their collaborations was a Hawg's Master Kush which was HawgsBreath X So Cal Master. This was also floating around so cal at the same time as the original Hawgsbreath causing lots of confusion. Only adding to the confusion is the possibility of a totally different strain with the same name but different spelling. The "Tennesse HOGSBREATH" not HAWGSBREATH is a totally different cut and supposedly a cross of Hindu X Afghan or Afghan X Skunk #1. One thing I know for sure is that San Diego Hawgsbreath is Different From Tennessee Hogsbreath and is often confused with Hawgs Master Kush from Riot Seed Co. Thanks For Reading I Hope This Helps.
-Joe

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey JoeHawkins, thanks for the info. on the San Diego Hawgsbreath. It sure does have a nice pedigree. Would like to get both so I could compare them but i'm still partial to my Tenn. Hogsbreath.

I haven't stopped the hunt for it either, might have slowed down a little but its still on. Thought I would have had a few more F1 hybrids and maybe some S1 beans but not yet. I don't think the people that were going to work on those projects ever did, at least I haven't seen or heard anything. I've tried to contact 2 of them but that was a no go. Maybe they will see the bump to this old thread and hopefully chime in. I was running some Garlic Breath last year but it didn't make it to harvest so I might try a few more this year. With all this legalizing and the other states mostly going medical its a wonder this strain and many others rare gems aren't popping up in a lot of those places. Guess I can still be hopeful. If anyone hears anything or knows of something going on with Tenn. Hogsbreath feel free to post it up! Take care 1

Hey JoeHawkins, thanks for the info. on the San Diego Hawgsbreath. It sure does have a nice pedigree. Would like to get both so I could compare them but i'm still partial to my Tenn. Hogsbreath.

I haven't stopped the hunt for it either, might have slowed down a little but its still on. Thought I would have had a few more F1 hybrids and maybe some S1 beans but not yet. I don't think the people that were going to work on those projects ever did, at least I haven't seen or heard anything. I've tried to contact 2 of them but that was a no go. Maybe they will see the bump to this old thread and hopefully chime in. I was running some Garlic Breath last year but it didn't make it to harvest so I might try a few more this year. With all this legalizing and the other states mostly going medical its a wonder this strain and many others rare gems aren't popping up in a lot of those places. Guess I can still be hopeful. If anyone hears anything or knows of something going on with Tenn. Hogsbreath feel free to post it up! Take care 1

Right on! I'm glad you saw my post. Was worried since it had been so long that no one would see it. You can still find some Hawgsbreath hybrids on riot seed co's website but they don't have the Hawgsbreath kush anymore or Hawgsbreath S1, only some other Hawgsbreath poly hybrid crosses. Unfortunately I spoke to Matt Riot on Instagram recently and he said he lost his Hawgsbreath mother a couple years back so he can't do any more work with it :( The people who run the SD Hawgs Instagram is @thehawgsbreathcompany they might be able to help you out. Tell them Joe Hawkins sent you. -peace

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey JoeHawkins, thanks for the info. I will have to go see whats available. When I hit the IG people up I will let them know who sent me ;). Take care 1

I grew out 12 seeds from th seeds the hog. I documented with much excitment for the final product in hopes to find that legendary hawgsbreath. There was a wide variety of pheno types some taking much longer to flower , the smells and potency had a wide variety and the yields where inconsistent throughout. All in all i kicked it to the curb in favour of the more powerful socal. I would love to see the a true hawgsbreath pheno. to find from a seed i think the odds are not in favour at least from th seeds. the pheno are all over the place, i think hawgsbreath might be a 1 in 1000 find.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey nameless, will do!

Hey areocrafter, I never got to run The Hog from THS but wanted to something bad back in the day when I was researching Hogsbreath. They did start off with the Tenn. Hogsbreath as the mother but I can't remember right off hand what they used as the father for The Hog. They then inbred this line from there for 1 or 2 generations and that's where the seeds come from, not the original F1 pairing. They may have selected phenos that didn't show much or any HB during the project. Also why some peoples results varied through the years. When they 1st won the cup, I think the immediate following seeds were the F1 pairing. Then they started selecting in the IXs, this is where most people got the bad results i'm imagining.

CVS did release a few HB hybrids and not only I but several people on here can vouch for them with their results. You won't need 1000 to find 1 with these seeds ;). Stinky potent buds is what awaits. Hopefully you can find some Garlic Breath or 1 of the other hybrids. Maybe CV will come back and drop some more of his Hogsbreath projects on us. I'm still on the lookout for sure, would love the Tenn. cut. Ya'll take care 1

Happy Times

Hello All, I see the most recent post on here is years old but in case anyone is reading through the archives like me, I thought I would set some facts straight. I've done a lot of research over the years and recently met the sister of the late San Diego Hawgsbreath Creator. There is a lot of confusion in regards to this strain. As far as I know there are two strains. The first one is San Diego Hawgsbreath. It was created By a man name James Gonzalez aka James "The Hawger" in Carlsbad, Ca 1988. It is a cross of Williams Wonder X Skunk #1 X NL#5 . This strain was a SoCal Legend and unfortunately James "The Hawger" Passed about 10 years ago. Before James Died He Did Some Work With San Diego Breeder and Seed Company Owner Matt Riot Of Riot Seed Co. One of their collaborations was a Hawg's Master Kush which was HawgsBreath X So Cal Master. This was also floating around so cal at the same time as the original Hawgsbreath causing lots of confusion. Only adding to the confusion is the possibility of a totally different strain with the same name but different spelling. The "Tennesse HOGSBREATH" not HAWGSBREATH is a totally different cut and supposedly a cross of Hindu X Afghan or Afghan X Skunk #1. One thing I know for sure is that San Diego Hawgsbreath is Different From Tennessee Hogsbreath and is often confused with Hawgs Master Kush from Riot Seed Co. Thanks For Reading I Hope This Helps.
-Joe

Great info! Thanks Joe, never knew there were two diff versions like you described.

One More Thing I Forgot To Mention In My Original Post. Here is a Quote From The RiotSeedCo Under The Description Of The Hawgsbreath S1 Seeds. That Have Been Out Of Stock For Years :( ... "This Is James Hawgs Cup winning cut out of San Diego, California. Don't let anyone bullshit you, no one outside of a few individuals in San Diego, Phattys Pharm In MI, and us have this cut. It's not from Tennessee, never has been in the past. James Kept this very near and dear to his heart, so after some talks with some of the guys we've all agreed to let a few s1s out as James asked us not to let the cut out far and wide. It's something A lot of my friends asked for...." So the San Diego Hawgsbreath never came from Tennessee Just To Clear Things Up. Most Of The original seed stock for the SD Hawgsbreath came from SSSC (Super Sativa Seed Club) 1988

Highersolutions

Veteran
The Hawgsbreath I used to get back in the day when I lived in Carlsbad is still one of my all time favorite smokes. I would kill for a cut of that. Shit I might even kill for just one hit...lol. The Bullrider and G13 was some amazing smoke as well. Ahh the good old days...

Last edited:

noodles05

What a great thread! been reading all the way through, as i used to love my old critical HOG, sadly its by THSeeds...to hear that there are better/real genetics out there has got my juices going again for a search...my current critical hog is nothing like my old one, some similarities in smell and thats all. I like the sound of canaventures crosses...i think the hunt is back on for me now.

noodles05

JoeHawkins...if your still keen to let a couple of San Diego S1's of the HOG go,
I would be proud to receive....
I am in oz though i might add.:biggrin:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's what I was thinking from reading your posts and looking st BHT's pictures. Does he still run that cut, or anyone else? I've been searching for her forever!

I'm sure it's still around
One of those weird situations created by the internet-he got so much shit for it not being what he was told that people stayed away from the cut. The cut never got it's due amongst the Cali icmag crowd

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
hogsbreath cut 4 weeks in flower

View Image

Here's the Garlic Breath I have, that was selected by a friend. In early flower I have had plants look almost identical to the pic of Weird Jimmy's above.

This plant is 11 weeks of flowering today. She is by far the smelliest plant in my garden. Even more than GG#4, which was hard for me to believe when I was told that. Then when I got her into flower, I smelled what my buddy was talking about.

picture.php

mtownshend

Thanks for the details Cannaventure. Much appreciated, expecting a few of the new strains at Greenpoint...

Mainly, got hold of your Tennessee Kush F2.

OP,

Cannaventure's Tennessee Kush says that the lineage includes:
TENNESSEE HOGSBREATH - 50%
LAS VEGAS PURPLE KUSH - 25%
ALIEN TECHNOLOGY - 12.5%
CHEMDOG - 12.5%

Would you be interested in how that turns out?
Check out the description at greenpoint if needed ( https://greenpointseeds.com/products/tennessee-kush-2), but the info by cannaventure above is much more detailed. Flower time is reported as 54-63 Days. Seems to include strains you may already be knowledgeable about and with 50% hogsbreath (assuming it was the female? maybe male?)

Can post impressions as it matures and maybe some pics towards the end in a number of months if you want. Please let me know OP, I know you want to focus on the Hogsbreath and don't want to hijack your thread either.

mtownshend

What makes me so curious about this strain is how much or if there is a distinct Lambs Breath in the strain. I know that it's old, but seems to be in a lot of strains like this that have been worked for decades by breeders with access to elite clones.

Is the taste that can't be described related or include lambs breath? Usually it's a lot like citronella (the terp is very close to citronella in smell and chemical name, but not nearly as intense) and mostly only tasted on the exhale.

Seems that lambsbreath has been incorporated into a lot of strains most don't even know what it is or look at the lineage for a Jamaican in there somewhere at least, but if you were around 15 years ago, that was significant and there was no lack of it in the description, so I feel the jump in genetics and time difference this has gone unnoticed when we used to have to deal with 14-20 week strains to get even a taste of lambsbreath. Personally, it's a fundamental aspect of any strain I need to medical purposes as well as a good amount of some kind of chem in there. So, for me, it's important and I was really hoping to find that this is an old strain worked into this current form, which would mean that some hand picked cultivar of Jamaican used as far back as 20 or more years ago but is never listed in genetics or description other than "dank" or "grateful dead" taste, etc...

So, does the hogsbreath have a lambsbreath base to it's exhale? or even the one that Cannaventure is using "TENNESSEE HOGSBREATH"?

Also future posts on this strain OP? :biggrin: