What's new

Team Microbe's Nose Dive into No-till (2nd cycle)

Lester Moore

Veteran
TM, is there room for one more? I don't use a chair anymore, so I pulled up my recliner, rolled a nice one and am super excited for this one! you are changing my grow in so many ways! I know this may sound strange but I could feel my plants energy so much more now, and they are so happy and thankful...to be healthy, the whole room feels different!.

Kozmo

Veteran
Why not TM?! That's my kind of gal. Fun fun fun!

Did I miss something? When did you take your clone cuts. In veg before you flipped?

If you want to see what she really looks like go to her "about" page. She's got a nipple!

Former Guest

nope. generally that's not the response I get when I show my pic. there's pics of me in my albums. theres one full body shot in the scratching my way to harvest and two in the fun shares....if youre curious. ;)

Kozmo

Veteran
Ahhh, imagination is the key to having fun!

That being said.

Lets get back to the no till show!

ShaggyMan

TM i am currently now obsessed...thanks.
Been reading 'Teaming' and i was hooked as soon as i saw the shot of the nematode entering the tomato root (gave me nightmares).
Ive been using the info on BAS to create my mix locally, with some topdressing and SST.

Thanks for sharing bro! (i'm a fan)

TM can the seed sprout teas be kept mixed in a cool dark place for awhile to be used for several uses or simply make and drench? trying to get an idea of timing…from seeding the sprouts to blending to using, then getting ready again a few days later for the next SST. Could you explain possibly your way of doing it, I only grow 2 plants so not a big deal time wise as far as making, but, trying to figure a good schedule. I was wondering if it is possible to sprout a large amount of barly/corn or whichever I use then store the sprouted seeds in the refrigerator till next feeding?

Former Guest

I have a question :)

have you used Bt foliar sprays before outdoors to control pests like caterpillars? have you tried using the botanigard wettable powder dusted on a dew covered leaf? supposed to actually inoculate the leaf material or surface I guess lying in wait for predators to consume it. I was reading that some universities are seeing promising results using it towards BM attacks using the botanigard sprays.

ShaggyMan

Hey Blackpulpit...if you only want to make 1 Gallon.
You want to soak and germ 11.2 grams of seed to use for 1 Gallon of water. (as reduced from the 5gal recipe)
Using corn, that works out to about 1 TBS of seed.

Granger2

Veteran
I stay away from corn because of its anti-fungal effects. Texas A&M recommends it for Brown Patch and Take-all Patch. Their first choice with chems 2nd. Good luck. -granger

Team Microbe

Veteran
TM i am currently now obsessed...thanks.
Been reading 'Teaming' and i was hooked as soon as i saw the shot of the nematode entering the tomato root (gave me nightmares).
Ive been using the info on BAS to create my mix locally, with some topdressing and SST.

Thanks for sharing bro! (i'm a fan)

Hahaha join the Team!

That book was a game changer for me, completely blew everything I knew before that point out of the water. I've never been the same.... :laughing:

BAS is a great resource to have in the arsenal, I love the blog section on that site. Sounds like you're right on track... respect

In befor the bin.lol jus playing.im along for the ride brother.awsome setup .

Pleasure to have ya ghost :tiphat:

TM can the seed sprout teas be kept mixed in a cool dark place for awhile to be used for several uses or simply make and drench? trying to get an idea of timing…from seeding the sprouts to blending to using, then getting ready again a few days later for the next SST. Could you explain possibly your way of doing it, I only grow 2 plants so not a big deal time wise as far as making, but, trying to figure a good schedule. I was wondering if it is possible to sprout a large amount of barly/corn or whichever I use then store the sprouted seeds in the refrigerator till next feeding?

You can't keep the finished tea stored because it will begin to ferment, but you can keep the sprouted seeds stored if you have the right tools. Check this video out and you'll understand what I mean by that.

Here are some more tutorials on making SST that I found useful -

http://buildasoil.com/blogs/video-blog/13027013-video-blog-sst-and-easysprout-info

http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12607517-using-b-a-s-barley-for-enzyme-tea-tutorial

I have a question :)

have you used Bt foliar sprays before outdoors to control pests like caterpillars? have you tried using the botanigard wettable powder dusted on a dew covered leaf? supposed to actually inoculate the leaf material or surface I guess lying in wait for predators to consume it. I was reading that some universities are seeing promising results using it towards BM attacks using the botanigard sprays.

I have, last year was the first year I sprayed BT on the outdoor plants... a few years back I had a really bad caterpillar problem and mold started spreading from every spot they would eat from on the plant (more so on the buds). It was HELL :mad:

Last year it worked well, the blue color of the liquid kind of bugged me out though... I guess it's just bacteria spores so I sprayed it on there before flowering hit. Didn't have any problems whatsoever after that, so I can say it's pretty damn effective.

I've never heard about the botanigard powder before though... have you used it yet? And would the bacteria kill the pests after they ingested it or something like that? That's interesting... I wonder if it would be that labor intensive or not to dust the leaves individually like that...

along for the ride, last run looked killer

Thanks g! Glad to have ya

Former Guest

I think it would be pretty labor intensive, but the spores will go into the plant tissue waiting to be bitten by the bugs. they ingest it and the insect quits feeding.
botanigard makes a wettable powder form you can mix along with their liquid formula. I have read in several places when I was learning what GMOs was that the powder form will enter the plant. not systemically but just in the plant tissue you placed it.

the Bt spray will degrade in the sun in a very short time. I think it said anywhere from a few days to maybe a week? I would assume that the powder form would last longer because it takes up residence in the plant tissue rather than just sitting on the surface. not exactly sure what the difference is.

the GMOs actually change the genetic makeup by inserting Bt DNA in the plant itself rather than just habituating the leaf surface. by playing with the DNA, the Bt toxin will be in the entire plant for a more systemic effect. Monsanto does this with their corn to fight corn borers. I don't think sprinkling wettable powder will make it a GMO because the DNA has not changed and that is what most people have concerns about, consuming the DNA or Bt toxin when the sprays degrade in UV light and the wettable powders only infect tissue you sprinkle it on and I believe it also degrades in UV light but probably more slowly than the sprays.

I thought it was rather interesting. a while back, people were upset about Monsanto and there was talk about GMO cannabis strains.

Former Guest

whoops! botanigard is not Bt but Beauveria bassiana. I think I got confused about what product contains what bioinsecticide. the Bt stuff is true though. but I'm not sure if they make a powder formulation. i'll look up some more info as I don't know why I would be confused on what product is which. i'll confirm later when I find the info I was looking at.

Former Guest

well, I found this:
Recent Research. Advances in biotechnology have produced improved prospects for developing new Bt insecticides and an ability to place Bt toxins within crop plants in a variety of ways. For example, genes directing the production of Bt toxins can be incorporated into certain plant-dwelling bacteria. When these altered bacteria grow and multiply within an inoculated host plant, the Bt toxin is produced within the plant. Genes coding the production of Bt toxins have also been inserted directly into the chromosomes of certain crop plants. Although the development of this technology may seem ideal, the season-long, high-level control it can provide will also pose a great risk for the development of insect resistance to the Bt toxin. Bt products have been used successfully for many years, but resistance in field or laboratory populations of the diamondback moth, Indian meal moth, Colorado potato beetle, and tobacco budworm has been reported. One mechanism for resistance is the reduced binding of the Bt toxin to the midgut receptor sites. As genes for production of insecticidal compounds are added to crop plants, developers must devise methods of preventing or managing insecticide resistance in target pests. Current plans to develop and use "Bt-corn", "Bt-potatoes", and other crops that produce Bt toxins are progressing much more rapidly than plans and actions designed to manage resistance in target pests.

as well as this study which says that if applied to the roots, many species of plants will uptake the Bt and it will systemically move around in the plant. they used Bt that glows green and watched it move inside the plants.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3815911/

I swear I saw a reference to it when I was looking up stuff (I think it was for EM5 but I can't find it now or my tired eyes are skimming over it.

Recent Research. Advances in biotechnology have produced improved prospects for developing new Bt insecticides and an ability to place Bt toxins within crop plants in a variety of ways. For example, genes directing the production of Bt toxins can be incorporated into certain plant-dwelling bacteria. When these altered bacteria grow and multiply within an inoculated host plant, the Bt toxin is produced within the plant. Genes coding the production of Bt toxins have also been inserted directly into the chromosomes of certain crop plants. Although the development of this technology may seem ideal, the season-long, high-level control it can provide will also pose a great risk for the development of insect resistance to the Bt toxin. Bt products have been used successfully for many years, but resistance in field or laboratory populations of the diamondback moth, Indian meal moth, Colorado potato beetle, and tobacco budworm has been reported. One mechanism for resistance is the reduced binding of the Bt toxin to the midgut receptor sites. As genes for production of insecticidal compounds are added to crop plants, developers must devise methods of preventing or managing insecticide resistance in target pests. Current plans to develop and use "Bt-corn", "Bt-potatoes", and other crops that produce Bt toxins are progressing much more rapidly than plans and actions designed to manage resistance in target pests.
http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/fea207.html

sorry for the confusion.

Team Microbe

Veteran
All good, they are similar in name after all. I wonder how long BT would stay in the plant systematically? I wouldn't want it in there during the end of flower, I would hope it's like Neem where it sticks around for 6-7 weeks tops then peaces out

Team Microbe

Veteran
So I bought a new toy this week...

picture.php

This sprayer is the tits! It's for concrete, but can be used for foliar spraying as well. I found it on Amazon for $87, it holds 3.5 gallons of water/solution. This thing is heavier than expected, but the hose is long enough so you can set it down on the ground and go abouts your business without having to bring the tank closer to the plants. I gave her a test run and it's works great, however the amount of water that comes out with the standard nozzles is excessive for foliar spraying plants with, and I've been recommended the Chapin Fogger nozzle so I'm going to order that this week. It's like $37 but for the amount of water it will conserve and keep off my floor... it's worth it IMO. I can't wait to mix up a foliar spray with the new nozzle :yay:

Has anyone else used the Chapin 1949 sprayer??

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
I'm waiting to get my own sprayer, but that one has gotten great reviews with that fogger/mister attachment. Santa is a little late this year. :D

I don't use BT, but i certainly recommend against using bio-engineered products of any type. There are very compelling reasons to avoid them, but genetic contamination is one important reason.
Never having had to deal with more than one or two caterpillars at a time i can't really speak to the problem.

Barley has been my go to for sprouts solutions, but i have used corn twice. The smell was sweet and the plants didn't seem to display any negative effects at the concentrations i used.

Latest posts

Latest posts