What's new

Team Microbe's Living Soil Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Do you sterilize your straw in any way? I got a large bale from a garden shop, wasn't wrapped or anything and appeared to have been kept outdoors. It looks dry and clean, but I've been putting it in the oven at 225 for 45-60 min. just in case.

Nah, I haven't. What's your reason for sterilizing it? Mine was outside too, not sure what would inhabit straw though. Any ideas?

Team Microbe

Veteran
Day 40

Day 40

picture.php

I wanted to touch base on different types of mycorrhizae before getting to the bud shots tonight... as you can see there are two very different kinds that exist. Endo is the only spore that interacts with cannabis, yet I see a lot of growers buying inoculants such as Great White and White Widow by a company called "Plant Success" in which favors Ectomycorrhizae. They don't just favor it either, it's like a 10,000:1 ratio. So even though these products are overpriced as it is, they're selling them to growers like you and I at the hydro store like it's their job. Wait a sec... :chin:

The grimy part about the whole scheme is that they know their customer base is mainly canna growers, yet they turn their head the other way because well, money will do that to a man. Ectomycorrhizae only interacts with about 10% of the plant family too; mainly woody plants like pine, oak, elm, and birch trees. Please look at the back of your inoculant before purchasing folks, some of these are very very Ecto-dominant! Some of the Endo-dom inoculants I'll use these days are Lush Roots by Dragonfly Earth Medicine, Xtreme Mykos (my favorite), and anything else pretty much that has an endo-dom ratio. Buyer beware.

picture.php

Seed Sprout Tea on deck! To make this rich enzyme-packed tea (basically an organic "bloom booster" for pennies on the dollar" I just soak in RO water for 12 hours, drain, and repeat x2. It's important to rinse and strain the seeds at least twice because they contain a chemical that actually inhibits growth in plants. I forget the name of it, if I remember it I'll be sure to edit this post though.

After the rinsing the seeds will sprout in a few days time. At this point I'll put them in the blender with a little water and make a mush of the seeds. From here I'll pour it in my brewer for a few hours to bubble before feeding. You can just pour it straight into your water if you want, but I like to bubble and agitate the muck for a bit because I feel it helps release more enzyme properties into the solution. Just a personal preference pretty much. We don't need to keep pouring money into those over priced "bloom boosters" that they sell. We're extracting enzymes by sprouting seeds for penny on the dollar like I said, and this is far more potent of a concoction compared to the 90% "inert ingredients" aka H20 that is inside the fancy-bottled bloom boosters. My plants literally pray after applying these SST's, it's amazing. I've noticed a huge increase in yields as well, plants are beginning to really stack and push to their full genetic potential.

picture.php

picture.php

Sicilian Revenge #1

Team Microbe

Veteran
day 40 continued

day 40 continued

picture.php

Sicilian Revenge #2

picture.php

Sicilian Revenge #2

picture.php

Sicilian Revenge #2 close up

picture.php

Silver Lotus #2

picture.php

Silver Lotus #2 main cola

Nah, I haven't. What's your reason for sterilizing it? Mine was outside too, not sure what would inhabit straw though. Any ideas?

Was doing it just as a preventative. I figured there wouldn't be much of anything inhabiting it, but was more of a 'rather safe than sorry' thing. Came across one thread where someone did it, but found no other info beyond that. Thanks!

Team Microbe

Veteran
Was doing it just as a preventative. I figured there wouldn't be much of anything inhabiting it, but was more of a 'rather safe than sorry' thing. Came across one thread where someone did it, but found no other info beyond that. Thanks!

Anytime, and honestly with a solid IPM routine and a healthy living soil it would be hard for anything non-beneficial to survive for very long. The constituents of Neem Oil in conjunction with many other things is a pest's worse nightmare. I recommend people to spray with Neem once a week (I call it Foliar Fridays) to maintain healthy gardens :tiphat:

Anytime, and honestly with a solid IPM routine and a healthy living soil it would be hard for anything non-beneficial to survive for very long. The constituents of Neem Oil in conjunction with many other things is a pest's worse nightmare. I recommend people to spray with Neem once a week (I call it Foliar Fridays) to maintain healthy gardens :tiphat:

Awesome, great advice. I really like the Foliar Friday thing. Any particular place you get [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that Neem Oil by Ahimsa?[/FONT]

yet I see a lot of growers buying inoculants such as Great White and White Widow by a company called "Plant Success" in which favors Ectomycorrhizae.

White Widow is a product manufactured by Humboldt Nutrients and does not contain ecto.

Endomycorrhizae:
Glomus clarum……………………..12,500 prop/cc
Glomus aggregatum………………12,100 prop/cc
Glomus intraradices……………….11,300 prop/cc
Glomus mosseae…………………..11,000 prop/cc
Glomus deserticola………………..10,400 prop/cc
Glomus etunicatum………………..10,000 prop/cc
Gigaspora margarita……………….9,900 prop/cc
Glomus brasillanum…………………9,300 prop/cc
Glomus monosporum………………9,000 prop/cc

I read an article with a grower speaking to a manufacturer about whether cannabis has a narrow relationship with mosseae and the manufacturer did infer cannabis might have a wider spectrum regarding endo than current science purports. I get the feeling by offering a selective fungi count any manufacturer can charge more for less ingredient, the flipside being more fungi variety>more ingredient>higher price. However, the price difference between endo only myc products whether it be 1 or 2 varieties compared to 12 isn't so drastic especially when you consider how finely micronized some products are.

H

hard rain

Inspirational thread. You grow really beautiful plants. Great photos and information. Thank you.:tiphat:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
There is a goldmine of info here. Nice thread, plants, and appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experiences. A++

Team Microbe

Veteran
Awesome, great advice. I really like the Foliar Friday thing. Any particular place you get [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that Neem Oil by Ahimsa?[/FONT]

http://buildasoil.com/products/neem-oil-organic-from-india

White Widow is a product manufactured by Humboldt Nutrients and does not contain ecto.

Endomycorrhizae:
Glomus clarum……………………..12,500 prop/cc
Glomus aggregatum………………12,100 prop/cc
Glomus intraradices……………….11,300 prop/cc
Glomus mosseae…………………..11,000 prop/cc
Glomus deserticola………………..10,400 prop/cc
Glomus etunicatum………………..10,000 prop/cc
Gigaspora margarita……………….9,900 prop/cc
Glomus brasillanum…………………9,300 prop/cc
Glomus monosporum………………9,000 prop/cc

I read an article with a grower speaking to a manufacturer about whether cannabis has a narrow relationship with mosseae and the manufacturer did infer cannabis might have a wider spectrum regarding endo than current science purports. I get the feeling by offering a selective fungi count any manufacturer can charge more for less ingredient, the flipside being more fungi variety>more ingredient>higher price. However, the price difference between endo only myc products whether it be 1 or 2 varieties compared to 12 isn't so drastic especially when you consider how finely micronized some products are.

Thanks for clearing this up, I wasn't aware this was much different from Great White

Tag nice thread.

Inspirational thread. You grow really beautiful plants. Great photos and information. Thank you.:tiphat:

I'm subbed as of today,,, nice work brother,, very nice!!!

There is a goldmine of info here. Nice thread, plants, and appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experiences. A++

Thanks all, glad this info is of use to some growers out there :tiphat:

How's that barley cover crop working out for ya? I just planted my first clover seeds a few days a go, already got sprouts everywhere. :D

Team Microbe

Veteran
How's that barley cover crop working out for ya? I just planted my first clover seeds a few days a go, already got sprouts everywhere. :D

It's good man, I recently had to give it a hair cut because it started growing into the bottom branches of my plants but they're enjoying the companionship for sure. I started trying out a new cover seed mix that has 40% clover in it and that's working just as well:

picture.php

A little too early to compare but I have a feeling the diversity of this mix will be a little more friendly to the plants... diversity in any way shape or form is key

Team Microbe

Veteran
Day 43

Day 43

picture.php

Sicilian Revenge

picture.php

Another Sicilian pheno goin right now, not sure why it came out sideways tho

picture.php

This is Cheesequake x Hollister Kush, not a large yielder but she's throwing out some really interesting terp profiles already. I have 2 different phenos of this strain going and to my knowledge nobody else has it. If all goes well, I'll shoot some cuts to the man who gave me the flowers I found this bagseed in as a thank you... I don't like when people hoard strains I feel like it's selfish in a way almost

picture.php

Hollister Kush by TG Genetics

Do I see a lady bug and do these plants go through any low stress training fimming topping super cropping etc or do you leave them to their natural state? I've not paid attention enough to cheese crosses, lately the one I've been eyeing is Good Dog. Eventhough your hollister cross is not a producer per se, it has nice kush expression.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Do I see a lady bug and do these plants go through any low stress training fimming topping super cropping etc or do you leave them to their natural state? I've not paid attention enough to cheese crosses, lately the one I've been eyeing is Good Dog. Eventhough your hollister cross is not a producer per se, it has nice kush expression.

Nah that's the light from the flower tent shining through the middle of the flowers in that one shot, I was debating using lady bugs last month though. I read they can poop on the buds once in flower, and sometimes escape from the room but I'm not sure the extent of each of these theories so I played it safe. I leave my grow room door wide open so there would be nothing to keep them inside the room.

Some plants I've topped a few times, others needed to play catch up because they were started a month later so I left them untouched. I liked how they came out, and they showed less stress than the girls I've topped and opened up with ties. I think in the future I'll continue with the natural growth and just add more plants to fill in the canopy properly.

Thanks man, I'm interested in trying this strain out.. I've never been able to say I have a strain that nobody has yet so I'd be lying if I said that didn't excite me a little bit. It most likely won't be anything special but time will tell :tiphat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts