What's new

Tea Article

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
doing my first trial run on a new brewer i just designed. it was inspired by microbeman's 50 gal "microbulator" like the one in his avatar, but i scaled it down to 2 gal.

picture.php

i have a good feeling about it. edit: it works great!

ps- it's an airlift.

edit: check out the write up: 10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

catcherintheye

hey guys ya think alaska humus (gh ancient forest) would be good instead of mushroom or fungal compost. For brewing a fungal tea that is. I hear awesome things about alaskan humus.

catcherintheye

enlighten me, still doesnt answer my question tho. Humus has a good fungal content as well as other great things EWC doesnt got a bag of GO ancient forest today and Im looking for a fungal tea recipe using castings and alaskan humus, so far I got some good liquid kelp castings and humus. Im not going to use molasses, I heard yucca or aloe extract is a good fungal food, Could I use fresh aloe chunks?

Any recipes out there with humus and ewc?

wats ct's fungal compost, where do you get it , etc.

peace thanks guys.

catcherintheye

its not humus in which way? Im a n00b to organics sorry. I have some really good castings I purchased from a local farm. Ive seen that compost actually and its freakin awesome just not looking to spend that much for the amount. I need a small amount. say five bucks worth haha. This is the only site Ive seen that has it too. I think Im going to use the ancient forest and the fresh ewc I purchased, any ideas on ratios for a gallon and additives for feed the fungi?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
The product 'Alaska Humus' is sold under any number of names like Alaska Magic, Denali Gold (my personal favorite), Alaska Humus, et al. This is a product without merit and other than the name attached, i.e. Alaska, it is pretty much a joke.

Look at Microbeman's study on this - MicrobeOrganics.com

Save yourself some serious money and buy straight Canadian Spangham Peat Moss at about 1/8 the cost of Alaska Humus.

Just a thought.

CC

The product 'Alaska Humus' is sold under any number of names like Alaska Magic, Denali Gold (my personal favorite), Alaska Humus, et al. This is a product without merit and other than the name attached, i.e. Alaska, it is pretty much a joke.

Save yourself some serious money and buy straight Canadian Spangham Peat Moss at about 1/8 the cost of Alaska Humus.

Just a thought.

CC

more than a thought. a serious claim and money saving tip. thanks.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Just a thought.

CC

In the service of avoiding controversy and to be fair, the brand of 'Alaska humus' which I tested was the Magic/Denali brand and I've not had the opportunity to test the stuff being sold by GH. If you read what I have written about Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, you'll see I've pointed out that not every batch is going to have the same microbial make up but I suspect the same of the Alaska 'humus' products. Having said that, every batch of Sphagnum peat moss I've tested has had large numbers/volume of microorganisms emergent.

Although there is some humus content in both, neither is humus.

catcherintheye

I finally found why you posted the link, the videos of the sphagnum, vs denali gold, alaska magic, its not the easiest site to read. Alaska magic isnt a bad product, but its just not that much different that sphagnum peat, (what it is mostly compromised of) The sphagnum was better at producing a larger fungal hyphae (sp) but really if the Alaskan humus is made of sphagnum, then it has the same fungal capabilities as sphag IMO. The denali gold could have seen less fungal activity for a plethora of reasons, one being the source(mine) of the humus itself, one mine source may have different biological activity than others.

just want me a good recipe for a fungal tea using alaskan humus and ewc, whatever it may be. Much grateful for the info. Id like to see tests on different brands of sphagnum and alaska humus, not all is created equal, they are mined products and there is very big variability in mined materials and their content from region to region, even if its within the same state(alaska). Im a rockhound and this is a rule of thumb,"gold is where you find it" in this case the gold are bennies and I bet my two balls the microbes and fungal activity in sphagnum and humus mines are different from mine to mine, yet still similar in some aspects.

Thanks for all the info, still excited about the ancient forest I bought and would rather use it over sphagnum for now, not to say i wont try sphagnum(thats just ignorance), its next once this bag of humus is gone, which i will probably purchase in the future. For now though, Its alaskan humus, GO brand, its what im using. recipess anyone?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
humus as in humic acids? it cost me 13 bucks for 15 pounds, theres tons of brands of sphagnum out there and weight wise peat costs more in my area.

"alaska humus" seems like Its got alot of good shit in it, if price is the only reason people dont like it, i couldnt care much. But if your tests showed that the microbe content on the denali is shit, then thats something different, even though im not using the denali brand

As with EWC different brands have different analysis so it seems ideal that different "alaskan humus" from different companies will contain different things. Im excited to use this stuff, if both sphagnum and "alaska humus" contain microbes, id personally rather use the naturally composted stuff. The amounts im using are minimal and price is not an issue. Also my mix FFOF has peat in it already, I would prefer to add something beneficial that isnt already in the mix. Like a true organic head, i lack my own compost and soil mixes so i try to ammend and add after the fact.

i havent read your study if its the link up above. It goes into it a bit.

The Alask 'humus' products and Canadian Sphagnum peat moss are essentailly the same thing with different names. What do you mean "by contains different things" and "id personally rather use the naturally composted stuff." Both are from marshes; partially to completely composted plant matter; that composting process being stopped and started by being covered by water and/or freezing and thawing. Both are comprised of a variety of moss types (and other vegetation). This is to the best of my knowledge. One difference is which side of the border they come from. Another is the price. There could easily be elemental differences as there could be between batches of Sphagnum peat moss. It would not so much be the brand that might make the difference but where it is harvested. For example the higher quality Sphagnum peat moss (SPM) (brands Premier and Alaska Peat) is harvested in northern Alberta. The brands of Alaska 'humus' may be harvested in different areas, I don't know. The reason I ran the test is I wondered why everyone was paying so much money for the Alaska 'humus' (AH). I also wanted to confirm if it was humus. When I looked at both AH and SPM through the microscope, I saw a predominance of SPM leaves in both. When I applied feedstock, I found microbial life emergent in similar volume in both. If you feel more comfortable using the Alaska 'humus' then you should use it. It could be that it is more consistent (if all harvested at the same location) than SPM.

Here is a link to the examination I conducted;
http://www.microbeorganics.com/#Canadian_Sphagnum_Peat

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I finally found why you posted the link, the videos of the sphagnum, vs denali gold, alaska magic, its not the easiest site to read. Alaska magic isnt a bad product, but its just not that much different that sphagnum peat, (what it is mostly compromised of) The sphagnum was better at producing a larger fungal hyphae (sp) but really if the Alaskan humus is made of sphagnum, then it has the same fungal capabilities as sphag IMO. The denali gold could have seen less fungal activity for a plethora of reasons, one being the source(mine) of the humus itself, one mine source may have different biological activity than others.

just want me a good recipe for a fungal tea using alaskan humus and ewc, whatever it may be. Much grateful for the info. Id like to see tests on different brands of sphagnum and alaska humus, not all is created equal, they are mined products and there is very big variability in mined materials and their content from region to region, even if its within the same state(alaska). Im a rockhound and this is a rule of thumb,"gold is where you find it" in this case the gold are bennies and I bet my two balls the microbes and fungal activity in sphagnum and humus mines are different from mine to mine, yet still similar in some aspects.

Thanks for all the info, still excited about the ancient forest I bought and would rather use it over sphagnum for now, not to say i wont try sphagnum(thats just ignorance), its next once this bag of humus is gone, which i will probably purchase in the future. For now though, Its alaskan humus, GO brand, its what im using. recipess anyone?

My best bet is that the difference between the 'humus' and Sphagnum peat moss is the marketing but that's what growing MJ is all about...right? In future if you want to find something fast on my webpage, go to contents and click to a subdirectory then click the topic; just use your browser's back button to reverse. It is one of the fastest loading webpages around because of purposefully not using panels and separate pages. There are recipes in the contents.

catcherintheye

ohh damnn, YEAH! thats what im talking aboutt.. i was overwhelmed with the content. You said at the begining for purposes of loading you compiled it in one page. Thanks for everything microbe.

C

CT Guy

On my phone so can't type much. The key to a good fungal tea would be to incorporate fish hydrolysate in your recipe. Balanced teas are superior thoughIMHO

catcherintheye

thanks CT, is fish hydrolysate same as fish emulsion? any good bottled brands, thanks. I hear for mid late flower fungal dominate is bitchin and very necessary to achieve big yields. Im looking to make a balanced tea right now, but thinking ahead.

ingredients so far: alaska humus, EWC, kelp extract,fish hydro(going to buy) anything else?

the only way for me to tell if im making a good tea or doing anything proper bacteial or fungal is foamy brews and i havent been getting those anymore. Not all good teas foam, but it just feels nicer to see and know theres beasties growing.

I really didnt know shit about teas and in the summer i saw tonsss of strands of fungi growing in my brew, I thought the stuff was spoiling so id feed it to my veggies and not cannabis, lol. Its hard for me to read things and learn, im a visual learner and it helps to be shown things, i feel really stupid sometimes reiterating things to you guys who know what youre doing. But i guess thats why we are all here. Thanks for all your help, im not ignoring what you tell me, it just takes a while to sink in.

C

CT Guy

thanks CT, is fish hydrolysate same as fish emulsion? any good bottled brands, thanks. I hear for mid late flower fungal dominate is bitchin and very necessary to achieve big yields. Im looking to make a balanced tea right now, but thinking ahead.

ingredients so far: alaska humus, EWC, kelp extract,fish hydro(going to buy) anything else?

the only way for me to tell if im making a good tea or doing anything proper bacteial or fungal is foamy brews and i havent been getting those anymore. Not all good teas foam, but it just feels nicer to see and know theres beasties growing.

I really didnt know shit about teas and in the summer i saw tonsss of strands of fungi growing in my brew, I thought the stuff was spoiling so id feed it to my veggies and not cannabis, lol. Its hard for me to read things and learn, im a visual learner and it helps to be shown things, i feel really stupid sometimes reiterating things to you guys who know what youre doing. But i guess thats why we are all here. Thanks for all your help, im not ignoring what you tell me, it just takes a while to sink in.

Jay already posted a link, they're not the same. You want hydrolysate. Major companies are Organic Gem and Neptune's Harvest. You should be able to find either at a local nursery or garden store.

I'd probably get some unsulfured molasses, since it's easy to source at the grocery store. If you can get organic alfalfa meal that would be a big plus.

www.microbeorganics.com has some %'s on these ingredients that he's tested, or MM listed them a few pages back on this thread I believe.

You're right about foaming not being a good indicator. If you did see fungal strands in your tea, provided you were identifying them correctly, then they were mycellium that were extracted off your compost, which is hundreds or thousands of fungal hyphae wrapped around each other. Actual fungal growth from the tea itself is impossible to see without a microscope.

If you follow MM's recommendations, you should be fine, provided you have enough air and agitation of the compost in your brewer. Unfortunately there is no visible way to check your tea with the naked eye. Best clue is if it stinks, then dump it. If it still smells like molasses or fish after 24 hours, then it may need to brew longer or you put too much in. You want a mild odor if anything, just sweet and earthy, like good compost.