What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TAG - Landing (Resource for True Aero Growing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Veteran
and, one more question...

and, one more question...

...that's at least two of you TAG growers mentioning pump failures. Is this a regular occurance with this type of system??

my last attempt at Aeroponics (FAG i guess hehe) was foiled by a pump failure.

i have no quick way to get a spare pump, you are suggesting i keep 2 or 3 around just in case?

thanks.

Purpleseed

When I say pump failure,in my case,once it has been clogged buy a net that I put on the pump....to prevent clogging!But that was with a sump-pump when I first started(FAG)back a couple of years when aero was'nt very heard of.I had a hybrid Hydro/Aero sys.
My last harvest was save by my DWC.I forgot to plug the pump back when I changed nutes.I had visitors and was talking and talking....
Also had a failure(Sump-pump)because the little floating thing on the sump-pump that triggers it was wrongly placed in the res.
It's a must to think about a backup system,in my case DWC.Some have NFT also in conjunction with aero.You could setup a FAG as well.Having an extra pump at hand is not enough IMHO,the system should be permanent.But you don't have to,it's just a backup...still,you should.

And YES you can have as little as 1 plant if you want!Make sure you redirect the extra-flow in the res. using a valve+ a 'T',that is also good to make extra bubbles(Oxygen!)

Last edited:
G

Yehaww..! PurpleSeed, you've graduated to master. Here is your talking stick. Now I can shut up. lol

Can you do it for fewer plants, yes. Is it worth it, for anything less than 4 plants I'd honestly consider DWC or a NFT/FAG hybrid. You'll want at least 8 plants for a TAG and a minimal footprint of 4'x4' I would think, these bitches will just bust out of their cages when the TAE is achieved, one plant or many.

The pumps are the most expensive part, usually looking at around $150 for a setup. Either constant psi dia. pump (60 psi no accum. tank) or a cheaper hi-pressure dia. pump/shallow well pump to a accum. tank with solenoid valve (100 psi).

This is where experience and good questions will pay off for you.

Use the hyper pods as a bases for your manifold (or basic unit) its 2'x4' with 8 plants and about 2' height. Each plant gets about 10 gallons of room to grow on its own without touching anything. At the bottom is a slight NFT environment that is good for clogged nozzles or power outages.

A constant psi dia pump as pictured here:

This a triple pod set-up that worked well, except for leaks in these tubs...which are problematic.

The TAG-Hammock Disaster..

What should have been...

Last edited:

Nuggy

thanks for the reply - i'll just sit back and watch you guys, i've tried aero before and had constant clogs in my misters, plus it's hard to grow trees with them.

you guys able to run those numbers good job, everything looks great.

Purpleseed

To show a little more on my setup... :dance:

When it's time for nute change,I empty the table with a hose using a 'Y' fitting to change flow direction.Just turn the switch and turn the pump on!I could empty the table using the filter as well.Emptyed in about 3 minutes.
I pre-mix the solution using a plastic garbage can and pump nutes back in the table with a small sump-pump.

The pump I use is a Flotec 1/2 HP.The foggers are regular aero black foggers found at every hydroshop.The pump is All-rounded on the table,floating in air so I don'y kick it with my little toe(ouch! :puppydoge )when I move around+there is no friction to increase the sound,very smooth now.
Water is pumped directly from the table so,no need for res.!

I use mediumless netcups that I fabricated.No Hydroton anymore to wash and limit root developpement especially when they are young and also ZERO transplant stress.

My clones were not very healthy when I put them in the table so I ended up with a couple of bonZai that I regroup togheter here.

And now plants are very,very healthy perking up to the sky!I grow at 850PPM of Floranova bloom.That may sound low but Floranova is pretty strong and that's just where they thrive!

Floranova is also responsible for my roots looking brownshit.This is NOT rootrot,it's just the mud Floranova puts on the roots.You can see some 'fog' in the table.The fumes are actually getting out of the table and hitting the camera but it did'nt catch it.

Carbon scrubbers in a corner not being used at full potential! ...soon!
Also the A/C,CO2 just to keep basic levels not to crank it up.planning on buying generetor tough.

That was the tour hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:

Purpleseed

Nuggy : I found that keeping water level constant really helps with the clogging,at one time,all my nozzles were clogged! 46 of them!...Floranova is like Grandma molasses!

G

Which is why I'm moving back to Ionic brand for my next run. Most my vert. attempts to remove res water led to miserable failure, and honestly it isn't necessary.

Good filters are necessary...200 mess is best!...even twice!

My masters original designs had an aerator inline, that was overkill as it was found.

But the basic design is like this for hori grows.

Now... my buddy bV. is on his way with a closet build Twin Tower TAG that is just the shit...so hold on. :D

I veg to the 5th node top and transplant to flower I know someone asked that a while back.

Here is the difference of putting a FAG stem into TAE to become a TAG stem...see the difference yet?

This is 4 days in TAE.

This is the basic HyperPod design for two. 16 plants total. My first TAG run.

Last edited:

Purpleseed

Hey POD RACER: What was it that you sourounded the seedlings with before putting into the spaghetti noodle pucks ??

G

I at least salvaged the NLxHaze going back into the pods.

Oh, PS..that is just poly fill...that crap you find in pillows. Though..I'd use something different as a couple got tangled up and snapped their initial tap roots off.

The best is a little pinch of wet Oasis cube or RapidRooter..but anything that will just hold them until the leaves can support the weight, then I let them just run wild. :D

Her baby picture..lol

And the latest..

Last edited:

Ecotronics

Hi Pod Racer,
what do you think about this one:
reverse Osmosis

eco-s_kl.jpg

1:1 that sounds real awefull to me.

Greets Ecotronics

@JustATry
Yo came to drop by too, but hope to get some visit from you folks as well.

G

lol well if I read german...probably pretty cool. lol

Here is the poly fill supports.

However I might point out that I'm leaving the pool noodles in favor of the 2" neo pucks and the PVC 1 1/4"to1 1/2" coupling as they fit perfectly and create the best support I've found by far, with a 1/4" clearance for foam, ply or other substrate. Its a good thing. :wink:

Last edited:

Purpleseed

Thank you!!! And now,what are the advantages you found vegging at the 5th node and topping compare to not veg. at all/not topping ??
Don't you get some useless material(buddlets) under the canopy ??
And what is your plant spacing in sq./f ??

Yeah I'm getting to those soon too...looks more professionnal also!

JAT :How did you wraped the plastic on the lids??...I mean,what glue,support you used??
And I guess you pre-peirced the holes and after you made a little hole in the plastic to screw those in ??

Last edited:
G

For the WonderTwin grow, the full TAG, I did a plant per sq. foot. 16 (4x4) in 2 tubs, 8 each. I vegged them a little higher as I was taking like 50 clones.

Here they are...

Last edited:

JustATry

Wow, I leave for a couple of hours and this thread EXPLODES! :D

PS, I just stapled the poly all the way around the lid - every couple of inches. Then just cut and 'x' in the poly where the holes were and screwed in the fittings. Pretty simple.

G

Yeah, these threads always explode and grow just like the rigs. That is how we hit 100 pages on AGU and then 68 on my mentor's vanity thread. :wink:

Everyone has fun till someone starts to get all pinched and ugly. Hopefully we'll avoid that here...hint hint.

This is my standard clone going into flower...

However you can go into flower as soon as you have roots, zero vegging is completely possible.

This is a standard Seedling (the NLxHaze going into flower)

I try to have as little contact with the plant material as possible.

But as I stated, once you have roots..you are good to grow.

Last edited:
G

But I've put all sorts in...lol

You have to see what works for you.

Sat dominants and crosses run crazy in this arena. I have had a mutant White Widow Clone 8 that was insane with growth and vigor (most of those cola shots are her) and now I see with the NLxHaze and Bubbliscious I have that they are just freakin' screaming...about 4 cm a day on average I'd say.
You can literally watch them grow, if you have that sort of time. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

whereisbrianV.

TT-TAVG

TT-TAVG

TT-TAVG

Designed after the groundbreaking work done by the late R2G, and all of the people that pissed him off. The TT-TAVG incorporates the latest in indoor growing technologies, a True Aero Vertical Grow. In a footprint of only 12sf the TT-TAVG allows two towers of 8 plants (19 total) with ample room2grow. Clones, ballast, and fans will all fit into the 2x6 foot print with only the pump and accum. tank sitting out of the 12sf.

Here is the ventilation shaft, after fans arrive a full light test will be preformed. More to come long live the DOA.

JustATry

brianv - glad to see you here buddy! You almost ready to fill that rig up with some bitches? I am about 5-6 days away from liftoff over here.

I think we are all going to be running neck-and-neck. It's going to be interesting to see the results that blossom from the different setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.