What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Surprise...the game is rigged

BudToaster

Veteran
Why people invest in these businesses that have no real plan to make money/growth is beyond me?

could be the next Xerox or Polaroid or Amazon, eh? it does seem like a crap shoot sometimes.

señorsloth

Veteran
I saw on the news that even if you wanted to buy shares in Facebook, you couldn't. All available shares had already been bought up by the mega-rich. Commonly stock broker houses were requiring at least $250,000 in available account funds to buy any shares and the cheapest one they found said $150,000 available, but the catch 22 is that all shares were immediately bought by huge stock brokerages so none were available. That $38 dollars per share everyone hears about was just the initial cost to them. By the time any shares are made available they may cost twice that, thus making huge profits for the already mega-rich. Does anyone else think that there something is very wrong there?
there is a quote from the thread starters original post...it's kinda funny now aint it? frankly i don't see how anybody thought the stock was going to do well...facebook has already gotten most of the members that it will get for a long time, the only people not on facebook are 3rd world citizens...advertizing to 3rd world citizens would be next to pointless from a business standpoint so they are basically as big as they could get get before they went public...

going public means for the stock to do good profits have to be continually going up, and that is not something facebook has been able to do, they can't get their members to click adds, and data mining only gets you so far...sure now that they have shareholders they will keep trying to come up with every way of making money from the website possible, sad thing is it will make the company a few percentages higher but make the website nothing but another profit whore, constantly doing things you can't trust with your information all for a few pennies.

frankly there are too many copy sites out there, if facebook gets too intrusive for profits, then people will go elsewhere, that just means facebook can't push us enough to make their shareholders happy with the profits, and obviously wall street is so fucked the shareholders are never gonna be happy will less than perfection, so the stock plummets, because they initially valued the company intentionally at double what it really was at, now that the world knows how poorly they make money, the company is now at half it's value and still dropping.

why anybody gave a flying squirrel crap about facebook stock is so beyond me...it was just a retarded trend item, facebook has less earning power that 90% of companies out there, people just wanted it because it sounded fasionable, they paid up the ass to have it even though everybody was saying at the time it wasn't worth it...it's quite easy to see now but wow those people would have lost a lot less money, or maybe even made some had they just gone with any random stock on the exchange over that one...

the original poster was very pissed that we wouldn't get a chance at a facebook stock portfolio...i'm sorry but i just had to chuckle, reading that after all my suspicions about it have been confirmed in the past few months...for his sake we are all lucky that we didn't get a chance, though again, why anybody would want that stock over any other is beyond me...and if you are actually surprised that things aren't fair on wallstreet...well i think you might be so far behind the times that there is no help for you...

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I would imagine what motivated many was how well Google has done. Google's success though was a plan to provide new and innovative services like Google Earth and Street view. I would suspect that those interested in Facebook shares were impressed by the success that Facebook was but were investing on the hopes that Zuckerberg was more then just a one trick pony? That's my guess anyway.