What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Surprise...the game is rigged

dddaver

Veteran
I saw on the news that even if you wanted to buy shares in Facebook, you couldn't. All available shares had already been bought up by the mega-rich. Commonly stock broker houses were requiring at least $250,000 in available account funds to buy any shares and the cheapest one they found said $150,000 available, but the catch 22 is that all shares were immediately bought by huge stock brokerages so none were available. That $38 dollars per share everyone hears about was just the initial cost to them. By the time any shares are made available they may cost twice that, thus making huge profits for the already mega-rich. Does anyone else think that there something is very wrong there?

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Do YOU want to invest in Facebook? Personally I think it will crash and burn, they have no track record of making money off of their users so why would anyone invest? Yes it is big and has a shit load of users but if you look at their ad impressions it is worse than most webpages and companies are reporting horrible click through rates from FB. My schadenfreude is watching this fucker burn to the ground, not a FB fan.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Stock trading needs to be outlawed. The system is totally insane. Brokerages have to have a whole team of their own traders who balance the market constantly just to keep the whole deal from collapsing. It's the devil's deal anyway: Take this temporary cash and trade in ownership of your company forever to total strangers who will trade it around and very few of which will ever do anything to directly assist the company or earn any of the money they're getting out of it continually. Bonds make sense, but stocks.... stocks are absolutely retarded. They're a big part of why there's no American corporations left, they're a big part of why the 1% has most of the money. They're the reason we live in a crazy ad culture, where competition is so fierce to continually grow profits. See with stocks even making a profit isn't enough. You have to keep making MORE profit. So corporations will shut down entire divisions sometimes that are totally profitable, simply because they are not AS profitable as their investors demand. Outlawing stock trade would be a massive step forward for us as a species.

Anyone who doubts what I say about this, pick up a copy of "Wall Street Versus America" by Gary Weiss. That's the best read I've found so far into the total insanity that is stock trade. Most of you will find things in there you never had a clue went on in the markets, and a lot of things that are so stupid it blows the mind. Just breathe deep while you read it and make sure you have blood pressure meds handy :p

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I agree the system is rigged but I was watching a financial news piece on CNN last week talking about this and they said the vast majority of the intial investors will be traders representig retirement investing so some of these intial purchases may still benefit the less then mega rich. The news piece also advised that it would be foolish for the average investor to get in now, they predict it will do well intially and adjust downwards over the next few months once the intial frenzy dies down.

Personally I don't care though, I'm too poor to invest in stocks and wouldn't invest in stock even if I had money, there are much safer investments. I'd be much happier to see wall street burn to the ground because magiccannabus is right most if not all of the economic problems we face are connected directly or indirectly to the stock market and the effect it has on how companies do business. They world would be a much better place if everyone had to earn all thier wealth thru thier own efforts rather then ride on the backs of other people's efforts.

ChumLeeJr

Stock market is like a shit sandwich - the more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.

I don't do stock market - virtually no way for little guy to win, and every chance the fat cats will decide to send the stocks into the toilet so you lose it all.

And yes, the fakebook stock will go down, not up. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot sativa stalk. Buy some good beans, and make your own money.

L

longearedfriend

they can keep their piece of shit stocks

the surprise will be when people start having a life and the stock prices will plummet

dddaver

Veteran
Thanks folks. I too think they're gonna tank anyway. I just think Facebook and that whole social media shit is just nuts. Facebook was started by these college nerds who couldn't get dates the old fashioned way by talking to girls and started it as a rating system and way to back-stab without meeting anyone face-to-face. To me, the whole thing seems so impersonal and is just leading people to becoming automatons. WEIRD.

But I have no stocks (other than a big inherited IRA I'm leaving for the grand-kids education anyway, I don't need or want it) and wouldn't anyway. The whole thing seems so crooked and just reeks of not only dishonesty but also shows how disingenuous and down-right full-o-shit news agencies have become. One of there primary premises seems to be; first: the populace is ignorant, feed them shit, they like it. I feel insulted every time I watch the news anymore. Things sure are fucked up.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Do YOU want to invest in Facebook? Personally I think it will crash and burn, they have no track record of making money off of their users so why would anyone invest? Yes it is big and has a shit load of users but if you look at their ad impressions it is worse than most webpages and companies are reporting horrible click through rates from FB. My schadenfreude is watching this fucker burn to the ground, not a FB fan.

face book doesnt make its money from ads.

It makes its money on selling your personal information. and they make billions. This will never stop unless people stop using it, which wont happen. thats why rich people are so heavily invested. only gonna get bigger.

Dank99

Stock market going to chit after election year..

Mattress of America >> bank of america

Cash or gold...even the top 1% are holding on to their cash right now

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Facebook epic fail today. Hiliriaous. Stock closed right at 38. The underwriters have 2bil to defend the initial IPO price which they had to do all day.

Most tech IPO pop 25% the first day. This stock collapsed today despite the months long hype tour.

Yes. The game is rigged. Obviously. Invest in ABCD. Anything Bernanken Cannot Destroy. Land and metals bro. Fuck the game.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
lol at Facebook great time to jump into the market. lets hope this is the end of a lot of shitty services.

BudToaster

Veteran
i have finally come to realize that stock ownership is counter to being invested in the community of human beings that surround us. but i think building a strong society is more important than building a big bank account, so wtf do i know.

fb has 900 million users. i see a very similar situation to when AOL was so strong and bought Time/Warner, which promptly sank the company because they didn't know what the fuck to do with that user base. totally clueless.

i am interested to see if the Zuckmeister can do a better job than Steve Case.

smokefrogg

Veteran
coworker claims to have gotten 5 as soon as it was available, she's not rich, was she full of crap then and got nothing?

i am not an investor, but if i was i don't think this would be a very wise thing to invest in, didn't they just recently have a major auto manufacturer decided to pull funding for ads they were paying for on fb as well?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I read something about $40k minimum to play (in the near term.) If shares are available, you can pool your money with a broker and buy common or preferred. Brokerage fees will apply.

sso

Veteran
mjeh, couldnt call this particular case a case of rig,

its just a law of economics, if someone can sell his shit to 100 dollar tom, most would rather do that than sell to 5 buck joe.

and if they can buy the 5 buck shit and sell at 100 bucks, then most gonna do that.

specially if its shit they are unsure of staying good shit for long.

(though its more logical to sell shit everyone wants, cheap as you can, sell more get more.)

personally i dont like this monkeybusiness. its like still being in the fucking jungle. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts