What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SURFING

Spicoli

Client of Wu-Tang Financial. You need to diversify
Veteran
I know how sad is that man. The surfing community has lost a top contender and great person. Andy you will be missed brother R.I.P

bodymind

Veteran
it's so sad that he was all alone... and that he left a child that will never know his father. someone should have been watching out. it is just a very sad thing.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Man Such Sad News ....... RIP Andy ......
Hope all go's well for Bruce and the Family
laird-big.jpg

bruce-irons-exit2.jpg

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hey spicoli 50 years of fun for me this year i do not ride short boards any more but love my hybrids and long boards here in oregon we get ever swell just about that hawaii gets only usely bigger if it north or north west we only miss out on a lot of the summer southern hemi swell .but i would not trade oregon for cali agian even if i could live at hollister ranch .the crowds are thin and most places people are friendly except for 3 of the world class heavy super dangerous breaks where a kook can get everyone hurt they give people crap at sea side and winchester bay

both places because of how dangerous the breaks are people get pushed out of the water if they are not ready for it or rude to the locals and snake anyone ,both places have a hard core element that try to intimidate any strange faces which is sad to me .but a old friend of mine saids localism is for ass holes who do not have it together enough to travel and i have been back here in oregon for almost 30 years and can ride where i want and its sad to see no aloha at these spots to my fellow searchers aloha classic seeds

Classic Seeds

Veteran
sad for andy but those tropical fevers get anyone who does not live on cipro when your in those bad areas . what a talent the surfing world lost and what a sad time for his family RIP andy save me a place in the line up aloha classic seeds

AndreNicky

When I first saw the news about andy i thought it was a sick joke. Such a shame he had to go like that. RIP brotha!

On a more upbeat note I have gotten pretty good on a shoartboard after toying around with it for a week or 2. Just in time for the big winter waves too! :D Just need to master some cutbacks and rail to rails and I'll be rippin it :)

Any tips for a novice shortboarder?

Spicoli

Veteran
Great to hear Nicky, keep up with it bro and youll be rippin it up in no time

bbing

Another "true" waterman down.

That next day...in CBS; we had hauntingly good surf........

every single one of us in the water had thought of the Irons Family..and maybe it wasn't the lagoon run-off making our eyes red.....

so many of my friends and me got shascked that next day....fuck..

RIP JACK, RIP ELE, RIP ANDY....RIPPers all!

HAfrd fuggin year

BTW...im making bbing back-cross 2 "Elemental P" seeds as we speak......

S

scoobie

Been surfin 40 years !!! Now a mellow ( Laughs ) Longboarder !! Ridin 9.0 Stewart & 9.6 Robert August. Wishing for a Tyler !!!
hey Bonecarver, your on the wrong coast mate !!! Get up North for a spell ! Ive got a spare Log !
Goofeys Rule !!

S

scoobie

Maybe shoulod have added, Favourite surfer, Joel `Rasta´ Tudor Probably the best Longboarder Ever !! Check out the Movies Longer and One California Day !! for inspiration.

Spicoli

Veteran
Hello and welcome to the surfing thread scoobie. Joel Tudor is a great surfer and i love the attitude he has towards it. He also smokes the ganj so he ok in my book :D

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Now that winter is pretty much over, I gotta say I feel pretty blessed as we were very lucky out my way surfwise. We got some fine swell and conditions in between storms this year. Much better than last year's winter, by far.

Tragedy hits even the best winters though...I'm sure everybody in the surf community already knows, but we lost another surfer at Mavericks. Sion Milosky was just breaking out at 35 years young with a wife and two young kids. He was getting his name out there by charging the biggest peaks and taking off the deepest and making the wave. True up and coming big wave surfer with a huge heart. I read a good story about Sion in a paper I was reading online...the following happened earlier this year....

"A woman out for swim near his house at Rocky Point was swept out to sea after sundown. Instead of waiting for the fire crew to respond, Milosky grabbed his longboard and “without saying a word paddled out in the pitch black in big surf.”

He said that after 45 minutes of searching and yelling for the woman, he finally found her alive in the water.

“He pulled her onto his board and paddled her in saving her life,” Tucker wrote. “She never said thank you. The story never made the news. He never got an award. Sion had no need for recognition.”

Sion died on March 16th after a two wave hold down while surfing Mavericks

It might not have helped in Sion's case, but Jetskis are a must and if those people who are against them have their way and they're banned completely, more people are going to get hurt or die surfing mavs. I hope the people in charge think long and hard before banning them completely.

RIP Sion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqEZclkj5UE&feature=related

P.S. took some shots before I went out last month. This obviously ain't Mavericks. Stuff like this is more my speed. It was real peaky that day....lefts and rights, but the lefts had more shoulder to work with.

picture.php

picture.php

thebigz0

Love longboarding, bodyboarding, bodysurfing. Also love traveling in search of surf. Have found my own surfer's paradise somewhere in the Philippines. Surf alone most every day with a great variety of waves. Cheap living and friendly people... lovely.

AndreNicky

Love longboarding, bodyboarding, bodysurfing. Also love traveling in search of surf. Have found my own surfer's paradise somewhere in the Philippines. Surf alone most every day with a great variety of waves. Cheap living and friendly people... lovely.

Sounds sweet man!!! :wave:

Pretty consistent over there?