What's new

superthrive

atomicfield

Here's an article to check out:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Vitamin B1.pdf

Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Horticulturist and Associate Professor,
Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State University
The Myth of Vitamin Stimulants:
"Vitamin B-1 reduces transplant shock by stimulating new root growth"
The Myth
Ever seen this advertisement? “[Product X, which contains vitamin B-1] stimulates the quick formation
of new root hairs and revitalizes the delicate feeder roots that are often damaged in transplanting. [Product
X] is especially designed to hasten the development of bareroot roses, shrubs, shade trees and bedding
plants that have been moved to new locations. It helps plants become established quickly and ensures
vigorous growth.” Another adds a little scientific terminology to convince you: “Vitamin B-1 (plus minor
elements and chelating agents) is great for root growth and helps reduce transplant shock.” Or how about
this one? “The combination of Vitamin B-1 with essential micro nutrients forms a highly effective
mixture...and lessens the chances of transplant shock and plant stress.”
Aren’t you convinced that if you don’t use products with Vitamin B-1 your transplants will suffer?
Apparently administrators at one large university are. Under their “Typical Tree Protection and
Relocation Specifications” is the following: “48 hours prior to cutting, an application of vitamin B-1
shall be administered to the rootball of the tree.” If a university requires this practice, it must be
legitimate, right?
The Reality
Applying vitamin B-1, or thiamine, to root systems of whole plants does not stimulate root growth. This
is a myth that refuses to die, though it has been repeatedly refuted in the scientific literature. To
understand why, it helps to think about this in a historical perspective.
Many decades ago the plant growth regulators called auxins were isolated and characterized. Auxins
were found to stimulate cell elongation in both root and shoot tissues. Commercial preparations were
developed that contained auxin and vitamin B-1 among other ingredients. Research in 1949 found
improved root development in plants treated with one of these preparations (Transplantone, which
contains both auxin and thiamine), but noted the importance of auxins in this response. Further research
throughout the last half of the 20th century investigating the application of auxins to root systems
suggested that auxins may stimulate root growth, but that vitamin B-1 on its own does not.
So what does work for stimulating root growth and reducing transplant shock? A review of the historical
and current literature suggests the following:
Indole butyric acid (IBA) is one of the most common auxin formulations especially in tissue culture. In
cuttings, it has been found to increase the number of roots, to increase rooting percentage, to increase
both parameters, or to do neither. IBA has had some success in root regeneration in transplanted trees; it
may help redirect resources to the roots by suppressing crown growth.
Naphthylacetic acid (NAA) is also a commonly used auxin and often the active ingredient in commercial
preparations. NAA tends to be toxic to seedling root development, as it inhibits primary root growth and
enhances lateral root growth. This latter activity may account for NAA’s success in regenerating roots of
transplanted and root-pruned trees. Like IBA, NAA apparently suppresses crown growth, which also may
redirect resources to the roots.
Paclobutrazol (PBZ) is another plant growth regulator that seems to stimulate root growth in
containerized as well as established tree species. Like the auxins, PBZ reduces crown growth which may
assist with root resources.
Fungicides may increase root growth, but overall this is not beneficial to the plant. Fungicides kill
beneficial mycorrhizal species, and the lack of mycorrhizal colonization means that plants must put more
resources into root growth than they would if mycorrhizae were present. Furthermore, there are
beneficial fungi and bacteria that control pathogenic microbes and roots colonized by beneficial microbes
have been shown to grow more than those without.
Nitrogen supplements can improve root growth, and conversely the absence of nitrogen will depress root
growth. Uptake competition from bacteria, fungi, and other plants can be intense and so nitrogen is often
limiting.
Vitamin B-1 (thiamine) is an important component of tissue culture media, in which isolated plant tissues
can be propagated. Its use for stimulating root growth in whole plants is not supported in the literature
and one study reported that root growth was greater in the control treatment (water) than with thiamine.
Plants in the field manufacture their own source of thiamine and it is therefore unnecessary to add any
additional levels. Many fungi and bacteria associated with plant roots also produce thiamine, so it’s
likely that healthy soils will contain adequate levels of this vitamin without amendment.
Why does the mystique of vitamin B-1 transplant tonics still persist after decades of scientific debunking?
The Bottom Line
• Vitamin B-1, aka thiamine, does not reduce transplant shock or stimulate new root growth on
plants outside the laboratory
• A nitrogen fertilizer is adequate for transplanting landscape plants; avoid use of “transplant
fertilizers” that contain phosphate
• Healthy plants will synthesize their own thiamine supply
• Healthy soils contain beneficial microbes that synthesize thiamine as well
• Difficult-to-transplant species may be aided by application of auxin-containing products in
addition to nitrogen, but read the label and don’t add unnecessary and potentially harmful
chemicals (this includes organics!)
• Adequate soil moisture is crucial for new root growth; be sure to irrigate new transplants
frequently and use mulch to reduce evaporation
For more information, please visit Dr. Chalker-Scott’s web page at http://www.theinformedgardener.com.
thank you for the great read, I'm starting to vote snake oil i had a couple of hermies too

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vitamin Institute
12610 Saticoy Street, South
North Hollywood, CA 91605, USA
Tel: (323) 877-5186
Toll-Free: (800) 441-VITA (8482)
Fax: (818) 766-VITA (8482)
Web site: http://www.superthrive.com

Description:
Vitamin Institute, the firm name of world-renowned biochemist Dr. John A. Thomson, has been a pioneer for over sixty years in the research, development, and manufacture of horticultural vitamins and hormones. Dr. Thomson has originated and produced 64 Horms™ for horticulture, which won a World’s Fair Gold Medal for scientific advancement.

Characteristics:
Vitamin Institute SUPERthrive™ is a unique, highly concentrated 50 vitamins-hormones formula that should be used in all planting water and preferably as part of periodic tree watering. The product has been employed internationally as a superior agent specific against tree loss and is especially proven in heavily stressed planting situations and in sustaining mature transplanted trees. SUPERthrive™ also has been efficacious in speeding grass germination, successfully combating erosion, and developing superior turf. In addition to its growth benefits, the product is proven cost-effective—especially in comparison with other growth-inducing products.

Examples & Studies:
Leading landscape contractors have used SUPERthrive™ for many years, crediting its use with major financial savings.
One ALCA officer is said to have stated that his Ohio firm's accounting records proved that one 15-gallon drum of the product saved his firm more than $100,000 in condemned trees at a Pennsylvania U.S. Army Corps of Engineers job. SUPERthrive™ is effective in all plant-growth sustaining climates and has been especially effective in harsh environments. For example, SUPERthrive™ enabled spring and summer preplanting of the whole desert city of Lake Havasu—after unsuccessful winter planting without it. Also in the original Disneyland planting the product prevented the loss of any of 400 specimen trees that were hurriedly dug during one of southern California’s hot, dry summers.

California Polytech and most of the other California state university campuses have used SUPERthrive™ to enhance their grounds for more than a half century. Many of the original campus landscapes were created entirely with the aid of SUPERthrive™.
Five U.S. Government departments including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Forest Service have used SUPERthrive™ in such various contexts as transplantation of mature trees for World War II camouflage, planting sustaining viable low-dust turf landing fields, and substantially raising the production of guayule rubber. The U.S. Navy has also used SUPERthrive™ at naval bases with outstanding and objective proven success.
SUPERthrive™ helped empower the combined forces of California State Polytechnic University and the U.S. Department of Agriculture to develop drug- and oil-bearing plants to make the U.S. self-sufficient in these vital crops. Where previous use of another growth product produced only a 3% success rate, superthrive™ achieved 100% success in one crop’s difficult transplanting process.

Warranty & Support:
For over 67 years, Dr. Thomson has offered an unchallenged cash award to the first to surpass SUPERthrive™ 50-in-1, 50 vitamins and hormones, in efficacy—whether it be in activating, reviving, transplanting, extra growing, or perfecting plants. Since 1940 Dr. Thomson continues to offer an unclaimed money-back guarantee to any established business or public agency that after use of its first gallon, regrets its purchase.

Maybe someone wants to call them and get a full listing of whats in it, I doubt they give that info out though to prevent others from copying it.

I have had nothing but great results with it ever since I started growing plants, it makes a big difference in root mass & makes transplants go flawless.

Chief

It contains "1-Naphthaleneacetic acid, commonly abbreviated NAA, is an organic compound with the formula C10H7CH2CO2H. This colourless solid is soluble in organic solvents. It features a carboxylmethyl group (CH2CO2H) linked to the "1-position" of naphthalene. NAA is a plant hormone in the auxin family and is an ingredient in many commercial plant rooting horticultural products; it is a rooting agent and used for the vegetative propagation of plants from stem and leaf cutting. It is also used for plant tissue culture.[3]" -wiki

I also read "The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide." - wiki

I dont use it, but i try other organic sources for auxins so i what would be wrong with superthrive. Also what other plant products do know that have been around for 70 years? Again i dont use it but its hard to beleive a "snake oil" would be around that long and so well known.

heres enough to superthrive the world lol http://www.biotangusa.com/bt/1-naphthaleneacetic-acid-naa-100g.html

atomicfield

It contains "1-Naphthaleneacetic acid, commonly abbreviated NAA, is an organic compound with the formula C10H7CH2CO2H. This colourless solid is soluble in organic solvents. It features a carboxylmethyl group (CH2CO2H) linked to the "1-position" of naphthalene. NAA is a plant hormone in the auxin family and is an ingredient in many commercial plant rooting horticultural products; it is a rooting agent and used for the vegetative propagation of plants from stem and leaf cutting. It is also used for plant tissue culture.[3]" -wiki

I also read "The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide." - wiki

I dont use it, but i try other organic sources for auxins so i what would be wrong with superthrive. Also what other plant products do know that have been around for 70 years? Again i dont use it but its hard to beleive a "snake oil" would be around that long and so well known.

heres enough to superthrive the world lol http://www.biotangusa.com/bt/1-naphthaleneacetic-acid-naa-100g.html
look at extenze thats been around about ten years or more already, "snake oil" proven. but people still use it, guess just saying we are all sheeple at times.

atomicfield

so looks like it's best use is for transplanting, then stop after that, I don't need any herms. ps thanks for moving thread, sorry I should have knew better

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Superthrive has never caused any hermies for me even with strains like Blueberry that are prone to hermy traits from it's thai ancestors. If you spray clones roots with it or use when transplanting you will definitely see more vigor and faster development it works miracles for me, even more so when a plant is stressed or having nute problems. Again though, less is more with it and I think some people overuse it which can cause some wierd shit to happen. A few drops in a gallon works great. :)

used sparingly doesn pretty much nothing , overused and u get crazy fucked up strecthing. its snake oil, b1 is useless for plants. u want to load your plants with auxins, take a nice multi vitamin before bed, save your bright yellow morning vitamin enriched piss and add a tad to your nutes, i call it iwannatokenobonethrive.

at the end n begining of the day if u want more buds just buy more light, save the additives buy photons.

''if u want me to take a dump in a box and mark it gauraneteed i can, i have time'' chris farly from tommy boy-

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Since it's mostly a "secret recipe" there are some who think the one ingredient which may be showing it's results is "triacontonal" extracted from alfalfa. Google it and check it out.

supermanlives

Veteran
b1 is BS and superthrive is superjive. waste of money and time. i tried it on many plants in my old greenhouses with no posative results. it didnt hurt anything tho

KingDro

Looks like people are on the right track with superthrive being snakeoil. It contains some micronutrients (though not listed on the label) that made a big difference when people were using incomplete fertilizers. Superthrive added to miracle grow can make a difference. Otherwise, its just NAA and B1. Nothing super about it. Overuse of NAA during flowering will divert energy from floral production to root growth and can diminish yields.

Brooce

I could get down with the superthrive...

However, I have found it to cause mutations if over-done whatsoever.
It definitely will give a boost, but be weary...

P.s I find it half fucked up that politically its considered a pesticide...that's interesting.

Maybe I wont get down anymore:chin:

Anyone done side-by-side taste renderings in finished product?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We used to dump it in the 30 gallon drip hydro resevoir years ago like it was water and had buds totally finished in 6 weeks that were big and nearly dripping in resin, were potent as all hell and tasted like heaven. Who knows maybe it was just the Shishkaberry clones. Big healthy white roots used to be growing down through the rockwool slab trays into the drain tubes and down into the resevoir. When plants were done it was literally a solid tray of root mass that would block the flow of nutrient solution so we had to literally poke big holes into it so they would not overflow the trays with nutes. True story. :)

RetroGrow

Veteran
Superthrive is a complete joke, and does nothing but deplete your money.
Snake oil is an apt description.
The label is full of fraudulent claims.
I can't believe people still pump that crap.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The same could be said for most root boosters and flowering supplements then as well ;)

SobStory

IMO a product that you can buy all over the world, for 60+ years , MUST be doing something ! If not its the biggest scam in commercial/agricultural history & the guy that started it is a criminal genius.....

D

danimal7

i'll bet its all the indoor only growers saying "snake oil", Superthrive works best outside during veg and early flowering.. and yes it does make a BIG difference outdoors,
the rootballs of the plants are larger and have a tendency to shoot up many big stalks, overall size and vigor are increased

indoors i dont notice it soo much,

Lowman

It's definitely not snake oil. Just add a 1/4 tsp/g to your feed water. Your plants will explode by the next day. I only say this to prove the power. 1/4 tsp Is too strong from my experience....but 1/8 tsp works quite well. I use it in my bubble cloner....and the stem gets loaded with roots popping out all over the stem....not so with out ST.

I won't use it from the first day of 12/12 though.

RetroGrow

Veteran
IMO a product that you can buy all over the world, for 60+ years , MUST be doing something ! If not its the biggest scam in commercial/agricultural history & the guy that started it is a criminal genius.....

That's correct.
It is the biggest scam in commercial/agricultural history.
Have you read the label?
Nothing but BS.
From "beware of gardening myths"-http://www.extension.colostate.edu/4DMG/Garden/beware.htm

"By Robert Cox, Horticulture Agent, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension

Many consumers assume that products on the store shelf must have been tested to prove their claims. Certainly, fertilizers have to meet nutrient content requirements, and pesticides are rigorously tested for safety before EPA registration.

For some other garden products, however, no such testing is required before sale to the public.

A good example is vitamin B1 (thiamine), often sold to "prevent transplant shock" and "stimulate new root growth" when planting trees, shrubs, roses and other plants. A study in the 1930's provided the basis for such claims. Pea roots cut off from the plant were placed in a culture medium in the laboratory.

The researchers knew that thiamine was normally found in roots, so they put thiamine in the culture medium and found that root growth did occur. Vitamin B1 is manufactured in plant leaves and sent to the roots, but if roots are cut off and placed in a petri plate, vitamin B1 stimulates growth of the roots when it saturates the culture medium.

Planting trees in a soil environment, however, is vastly different from a laboratory culture. Most important, gardeners aren't in the habit of cutting off the root system when planting. Several studies using intact mums, apple trees, orange trees, pine, tomato, beans, pepper, corn, pear, watermelon and squash have failed to demonstrate that vitamin B1 treatments provide any type of growth response.

Some "root stimulator" products contain a rooting hormone and fertilizer along with vitamin B1. These materials may increase rooting and growth, not the vitamin B1.
It's vitamin B1, also available in many other preparations.
Nothing unique about it at all.

Last edited:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
B1 is but one component of Superthrive, the shit is great. Use it if you know it! ;)