What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Cheap Mass Cloner

azrael

Hm... I was wondering, since all this cloner seems to do is bring up water from the reservoir, would it be possible to just use the perlite and such like regular soil? Just get a cup, fill it with perlite, and water it? How much different is that from the wick system?

Grizz

Veteran
the wick keeps the right moisture level. I tried as you said and it is harder to keep perlite at the right moisture level. I swithed from perlite to stright coco and I think it works better.

omenman

f you mix perlite and a fine seed starting soil you should be fine...make sure its moist and spray the dome.. in a nursery tray you should be able to do up to a good 125 cuts...once they start rooting you gently pull them apart into a different seedling mat that has individual plugs for each...or better yet..for 5.96 $ you can save your self the trouble and get a 72 site jiffy plug seed starting kit that comes with the domes and everything... out of there i usually get a 98% clone rate..just make sure you lightly squeeze the excess water from the plug befor you put it into the tray..see pics... i did over 260 like this... then i transferred them into 18 site per each nursery tray

gixergal

Hey grateful

How are ya doing babes? I was checking out this home made cloner last night and thought it looked great. So off I went to Tesco and B&Q to get all the fings I needed. Managed to get em all and merrily drove home to get on with my homemade cloner. Brill. BUT, grateful, just one fing is puzzling me and holding up my progress and that is how on earth did ya manage to cut the "rubbermaid" in the middle?? You know the one which holds the tub up a wee bit from the one with water in it?? Ive tried a jigsaw (fuck it shattered everywhere and I nearly cut my hand off with the jigger when the box bounced out my hands...lol ), Stanley blade... useless, just slipped over the surface, I asked in chat but no one had any good idea's except to put it in the OVEN!!! Can you remember what you cut it with, grateful?? You didnt make a big deal out of it in the tute so i guess it must be easy to do. Id be glad to hear from ya.

love
gix
:)
ps We dont actually have "rubbermaid" here so i presumed you mean a tupperware dish and thats what im trying to cut

daltron

azrael said:
Hm... I was wondering, since all this cloner seems to do is bring up water from the reservoir, would it be possible to just use the perlite and such like regular soil? Just get a cup, fill it with perlite, and water it? How much different is that from the wick system?

The difference is the air supply. If you were to water from the top down, like when using a watering can, the perlite becomes compacted thus cutting off or greatly reducing the air supply. By using evenly spaced out wicks it draws the water up into the perlite without compacting, leaving the full rich air flow, which is the secret to the great performance of this system.
Daltron Jr.

Furly

I put 1 maui wowie clone into my wick cloner and after 8 days still no roots showing :( how moist should the perlite be? it seems kind of dry even though i soaked it pretty good and have 5 nylon rope wicks bringing water up.

Chronmon

Shit do you think it will be possible to put my clones in a E&F table without being in a rock well cube or should I put them in rockwell after they have rooted?

Chronmon

Thanks sunny my boy said they would have trouble with support, but I got some pool boards I can cut up up i need some support

Latest posts

Latest posts