What's new

Sun Pulse Pulse Start Metal Halide

daemos

I want to buy one of these Sun Pulses the PSMH1000 to be precise and i want to use it for vegging only, what Kelvin ratings would be best for a plants vegging stages? the 3K, 4K, 6.4K or 10K

Thanks for the advice!

Mos...

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
A lot of info but no info at the same time.

I entirely expected that response, lol. I agree with that in general, but they do answer the question that I was responding to.

Time will bring us people's results, though. I am actually flowering with my 600w now, which was not the original plan, so we shall see...

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found this link

I found an old article in HT, seems the guy use to make stereo equipment and he helped design HPS ballasts I believe.and I'm just not sure why they don't release actual spectrum's and SPD charts? If you design something, seems the consumer has a right to know what there buying, well my philosophy anyway.. I might see that hortilux and the boys might be able to design a bulb, but it really is cheap to have "secrets" from the people buying your product

I want to break out my digital's again, but I will not until I see charts and the sort. for now phillips CMH gets my money

I plan on writing them and telling them my opinion, I suggest people do the same to see what were getting here

D

dongle69

They say they don't give out footcandle/lumen ratings because they are meaningless but in their instructions they tell you how to place your lamps according to footcandle/lumen readings.
Their other site has more info:
http://www.lifelighttec.com/
The same guys make the light spinners that so many people had problems with a couple years back.
I really want them to work, though.
EDIT:
I just saw habeeb posted the same link - thanks!

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
They say they don't give out footcandle/lumen ratings because they are meaningless but in their instructions they tell you how to place your lamps according to footcandle/lumen readings.

Footcandle/lumen readings might be meaningless to a determination of how much usable light is going to the plants (according to them) but still critical in bulb placement, right?

Thanks for that info/link, folks!

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I shouldn't have posed that as a question, because actually I was proposing that that was true. I can see how using a light meter would allow you to find the most optimal placement as far as even distribution of light while not giving you the exact answer of how much is capable of being used by the plants... Ya naw mean?

Peace!

D

dongle69

I'm wondering if these have the light spread that HID lighting does, or if more lights are needed for the same area like with LED.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
In my experience with them, and I think logically, I'd say that they would be more comparable to a standard MH bulb than LEDs as far as dispersion, considering the similarities in size, shape, and electronic components.

Y

YosemiteSam

So I am in the hydro store yesterday and they have one of these so I get it. I have a 4x8 tray with 3 600s over it. I stuck this one in the middle (I know, hardly scientific but we will see what we will see). All ballasts are Lumatek with the other two lights being Ushio's.

I got the 3K. The light is significantly bluer (whiter). Light dispersion seems to be the same although I have no clue about penetration at this point...I will say it is not like leds or floros at all. Except for the color I cannot tell any diff between it and the two HPS bulbs...again not scientific but that is my impression. The light is cooler but not by much.

I will let you know how it goes.

L

LJB

They did recently post an SPD chart on the Sun pulse website, but it contains oddities.

http://www.sunpulselamps.com/doccuments/SunPulse_WP_SPVSHPS_B2.pdf

Hard to read, but it looks as if the HPS and Sun Pulse were compared using different units of measurement. Also it says the HPS graph shows three bulbs, but we only see one line. And which version off of the Sun pulse line is represented in the graph?

Terrible marketing.

Y

YosemiteSam

I am at about a week and a half from harvest. To be honest I do not think I can say anything conclusively. Subjectively it looks like there is more resin but I may not be totally immune to the placebo effect. Yield looks to be about normal but I cannot even say that til the final weigh in.

Anyways, honest opinion right now. It does not hurt and may help a tiny bit. I ain't gonna run out and replace my HPS as a result but chances are when they do need replaced I will definitely run the entire table with them and see how that goes.

Sorry not to be of more help.

dachieftan

sun pulse 600w in the works

sun pulse 600w in the works

I will be giving the 4k and 3k sun pulse a try on a lumatek 240v 600w ballast in a 4x4 dark room tent. This will be my first grow so it will be difficult to compare and contrast based on the results of associates. In about two weeks I will transfer my veg from t-5 flourescent to the 4k sun pulse MH. Any feedback questions or advice is more than welcome. Pics coming soon... please visit
My journal:http://www.icmag.com/modules/Journal/viewentry.php?journalid=438

dachieftan

so the guy at the shop told me to go with the 4k for veg as oppose to the 6.4k. on the box it says the 4k is the best for commercial/retail use. What the hell does that mean? Does anybody know if there is a definitive difference between the two? the box also say 6.4k is the best for the majority of the veg. Should I return the 4k for a 6.4k because I have a t-5 florescent for seedlings/cutting?

N

nippirt

. . . on the box it says the 4k is the best for commercial/retail use. What the hell does that mean? . . .
They are talking about display lighting in stores.
Conventional wisdom says 6.5k is better than 4k for vegging--less stretch.