What's new

Sun Pulse Pulse Start Metal Halide

JAHWORKS

Sun Pulse Pulse Start Metal Halide Grow lamps were created by the GAS Technologies group of photo-biologists, plant scientists, mechanical and electrical engineers, gas chemists, and HID lamp designers. They are designed with true solar symmetry for true photochemical reactions in living organisms, greater molecular efficiency in operations, and better color rendering.

I was told from an old timer that hell never go back after using these on his digis - but upon further investigation I have found mixed reviews- anyone using these? - most interested in the 4k - would love some feedback! Any and all info would be greatly appreciated :rasta:

Cindiwaa

I dont know what a spd is. I guess its some kind of specs or something. I thought I read somewhere that non eballasts fire/run at 60 hz , but the eballasts/Sun Pulse Pulse Start Metal Halide Grow lamps run at 20,000 hz and that since the cycles are faster there is less time for the lamps to cool. Something like that and I could be wrong, Can't find where I read that now.

JAHWORKS

cmonnnnnnn at least one person out of millions must have tried these!!!?????!!! - they are the new craze for digital ballasts - someone plz let us all know how they are :eek:)

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I have one.
I felt like being a guinea pig, and the hydro store owner seemed to believe in them. (of course this could be, and probably is, all about sales) He said not much feedback yet from his customers. He knew the guy that runs the bulb company from working in a shop on the west coast where the guy would hang out and talk over his head for hours. he was all about it. There is an article about the guy in Urban Gardener of a recent month. It seems to me, though, that with advanced and altered ballast technology, our bulbs should be altered to suit. These bulbs are made to work with frequencies that the e-ballasts use. I buy that... They are supposed to last much longer than conventional bulbs, as well... Just how well they work in flowering, I don't know. You better believe I was skeptical about flowering with anything with the words Metal Halide in the name!

I got a 600w bulb in 3K, which is what they claim is the best for using throughout the grow if you're not purchasing the whole line. (I'm using a Future Brite e-ballast) I am considering buying the 10K for the last week of flowering to supposedly boost trichome production. (this I have researched heavily, and I definitely think that UVB increases trich production) However I will probably not have the money to purchase the bulb. (anyone wanna donate? lol) Next time...

I have not begun flowering yet, but the growth of my soil bonsai mothers in veg has been good. I am not well-versed in soil growing, so I have little basis for comparison, however...

I will make a post at the end of the flowering cycle that should have some insights into what the deal is with these. I will hopefully be able to do a controlled experiment with these one day, and I'm wondering why a good magazine hasn't done it yet.

There are two things that I can say about this bulb now, though.

1) It runs considerably cooler that an HPS of the same wattage. I used to use Super EYE bulbs, and my hand would be much hotter when placed 6 inches under the glass. Actually I can touch the glass on the edges with this bulb. This is a good thing.

2) It is my hunch that there is slightly less light output with this bulb than with an HPS of the same size. I do not have a light meter and it has been a while since I have done a 600w grow, though. So a grain or two of salt is necessary with my opinion here...

Sadly, there was no post like this when I bought my bulb, but I'll be changing that, hopefully...
EDIT: Forgot to add the link
http://www.sunpulselamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=13

I hope some of you other folks are willing to give these a shot, too, because the faster we get real answers and results, the sooner the whole grow community can benefit from the new knowledge, and maybe even the new technology!

asde

exactly.

without knowing what would be so special about this lamp, its not special at all - writing about how good the product is, everyone who is in biz doin that >:)

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
asde. Could you explain your post. I didn't understand it.
One thing I can respond to is "without knowing what would be so special about this lamp, its not special at all"
So the only thing that makes something special is one's perception or knowledge of it? I don't think that's true.

But I'm not trying to argue for or against the lamp. I don't know anything about it. It could be "special" or it might not be. Hopefully the former! haha

D

deepforest

I have one.

2) It is my hunch that there is slightly less light output with this bulb than with an HPS of the same size. I do not have a light meter and it has been a while since I have done a 600w grow, though. So a grain or two of salt is necessary with my opinion here...

A. We don't post lumen numbers on our website because lumens are a measurement for the human eye and have nothing at all to do with plants. With plants, it’s about incident energy and the light that can reach the leaf that the plant can actually use for photosynthesis. That can be measured in watts per meter squared, or in foot-candles of incident energy.

asde

what i mean basically is: they hide important measurement info but saying their bulbs are the big win making me doubt their bulbs are good at all, there is no point in buying one if they dont offer real information

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I hear you. The post before ur last one explains that but if you think of it as a diversion that's that. Im into results of grows not results of tests so I guess we'll see!
Peace

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Nothing really yet. My mothers thrived under it while they were there, but now I have some well-rooted clones under it as of yesterday. They are looking good, and are showing new growth as I would expect. I will keep you up to date at least to a certain degree on this thread.
This grow will not be ideal experimental conditions for the bulb, though, because I have changed several other important variables besides the bulb. However, since I changed those other variables for the better (that's for sure), if the yield suffers from my last run or is similar, I will be able to say the bulb sucks. If the yield is exceptional, though, I won't be able to really attribute it to the bulb, because that won't be obvious. I think I like the thing, though, so far.
I know of someone who will probably doing (2) 4x8 trays in separate hydrohuts soon, using (2) 1000w EYE HPS bulbs in one and (2) 1000w SunPulse PSMH bulbs in the other, with identical conditions otherwise, and she is planning on doing a writeup on ICMag. Her results will not be available for at least 4-5 months, though.

Shit, I say just buy one and give it a shot. We need to have more tests done on ICMag for various different products/techniques with good experimental conditions, but I think people have a hard time being willing to sacrifice yield if it comes to that, lol. I know I am, but if I had the cash, I'd get going on an experiment with these bulbs, because I want to know the answer.

Keep your eye out for a thread here about that.

peace