What's new

led05

Chasing The Present
what did you use for the polytunnel hoops? i bought 3 cheap setups that all failed after 12 months, and i can't afford industrial hoops and set up . Did you use water pipe? i'm going to maybe build a wooden structure and use carport clear plastic , or i was thinking hoops made from watermains pipe. What tomato do you like best for sauce? i love growing tomatoes myself
I go to hardware store and buy building supplies for all my things, much cheaper and better quality… most my hoops or structures are either 3/4” metal EMT OR 1” EMT, I build quick jigs With larger EMT to assist with bending (you can buy them too) but once you get your angles and a process bending 3/4” & 1” is easy, 1/2” is like rope :)

The one back structure more pics will follow has been up couple years, had thousands lbs snow on top no issues :)

I’ve tested many sauce tomatoes over the years, I’ve settled on two Amish Paste & Speckled Roman

shiva82

dope. ideally i want to make one big polytunnel 60 ft x 30 ft , but that is not happening any time soon , so i plan on making 3 small structures ,with one being higher with shading and shelving areas. for now i have just propped up the old bent cheap rings to make do

led05

Chasing The Present
C18C7195-6DC7-46B5-A8FF-D48060094C9B.jpeg

26997559-D97C-4BE0-A579-95BAFA425801.jpeg

BD94290E-72C5-4ABB-A4EF-05ED3A68B169.jpeg

DCC9EC53-4B7B-4182-A335-237A3629DC01.jpeg

808AC0C8-A864-4948-8209-8320E91F7FBE.jpeg

D6F858E1-3735-40E5-957C-416CC432243F.jpeg

4F66CF93-35BD-4B8E-88E9-8868B51051D8.jpeg

F34AFE84-9200-4AFC-AEBD-4EE83B81659D.jpeg

This structure is built super cheap all from local hardware - just custom design I came up quick on pad paper - side walls are pet screen for airflow & rodents have issue eating through it :)
73E144F8-51C2-456C-ACA9-A6CA3BC94033.jpeg

led05

Chasing The Present
clever . thank you. i think you have given me a solution . central post system and i can get straight heavy duty curtain rail tube cheap.
12’ - 4x4, 2-3’ in ground, I forget if 2 or 3 80# bags concrete on each base…. If I had acreage and all over again I’d build these like 20’ wide & 60’ long or so and just run them one after another…. Cheap & easy; I’d likely buy specific GH industry connectors though as it’s stronger, quicker to use and probably 2x cost but worth it in the end… using tek screws, thru bolts, free hand drilling rounded EMT on ladders etc just takes time / more complicated…

Good luck buddy; I find too much time thinking about it always over complicates… often best to just buy bunch supplies & start building, then it comes to ya…. Gotta have the coin though of course

shiva82

i have a tiny bit of land to farm in my spare time , when i get spare time, and not much capital. i thought buying cheap polytunnels and strengthening them myself would be sufficient , but they failed . I really want a professional industrial setup , but its 6000 uk pounds for what i wanted. Your idea is good and looks sturdy. it is a blanks canvas. planted 3 rhubard crowns yesterday. ghaskins, champage and victoria variety . built a frame for them and stapled on fly mesh. landmark rhubarbs lol

led05

Chasing The Present
i have a tiny bit of land to farm in my spare time , when i get spare time, and not much capital. i thought buying cheap polytunnels and strengthening them myself would be sufficient , but they failed . I really want a professional industrial setup , but its 6000 uk pounds for what i wanted. Your idea is good and looks sturdy. it is a blanks canvas. planted 3 rhubard crowns yesterday. ghaskins, champage and victoria variety . built a frame for them and stapled on fly mesh. landmark rhubarbs lol
We are spoiled rotten with prices of lumber & building supplies here in states; even after doubling we’re still much cheaper than most places were 5 years ago, much less today… Far too many people take it for granted here, the barn I built only a decade ago would cost me 3X lumber prices alone today, no time like the now…. :)

led05

Chasing The Present
Ty - it Smells both - it’s not RKS but imo the in b/w RKS to Dutch Skunk, this is just like those old skunk pics you see of Wernard

Speaking of, the male I got to sprout was from EP x Sk(a) - a is not auto, out of 100 seeds 1 sprouted & grew, 3 others took months to get going…., they behave exactly like 30 year old seed ime - the 3 females are EP/Sk x Sk and the male EP x Sk(a)

What’s better than having a stud in s tiny packet in your freezer at disposal

I make a few, one I use often others for storage…

9AF0168B-A0A8-4898-817C-27111F849386.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts