What's new

Sulphur Burners

bterzz

Veteran
Hey everyone. I made my own ghetto rigged sulphur burner today and I was wondering what are the "bads" of running it too much sulphur?

I put quite a bit in there even though I was told after a little bit is all that is needed, and it dissolved.

I left the smelly/smokey sulphur in the room for about 2 hours and turned the exhaust fan back on.

Is it bad that I had a fan blowing on the plants while the sulphur was burning?

Thanks in advanced!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
bterzz

IMHO, sulphur provides a fix but does not provide for a long-term solution to powdery mildew issues.

Prevention is far more important that trying to fix a problem.

YMMV

CC

bterzz

Veteran
Well the Sulphur Burner fucked everything up. Everything in my room looks horrible and it smells like shit.

Clackamas, do you have any good long-term solutions? I'm depressed now.

REZDOG

Veteran
....Sulfur burners are fine for PM control,until early flower.
I've run one in a sealed room for 12 hours,with No Harm Done.
Turn off all but one,very light oscillating fan when using sulfur,and have it at floor level,blowing through the lower stems,not up at the plants.

vapedg13

Veteran
sulfur is organic... it will not harm the plant but if you use it to close to harvest it will ruin the taste of your herb.

One thing to remeber.... never use a sulfur burner if you have used any type of oil such as neem to combat your PM...you will burn your leaves... give a 3 week period inbetween.

The Best thing I have found to combat PM besides prevention is GreenCure www.greencure.net ...totally organic... can be used the same day as harvest ....7-10 day application interval...great for daily spot treatment....

the spreader in the potassium is so slippery if you dip your fingers in the mix wet... it feels like soap inbetween your fingers.... nice even cover of your leaves

GC8OZ-2T.jpg

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
GreenCure = potassium bicarbonate.

Sodium bicarbonate is 80% as effective as potassium bicarbonate at a fraction of the cost.

Sodium bicarbonate costs $3.75 for 12 lbs. at Walmart (i.e. ChinaMart) vs. GreenCure prices.

YMMV

CC

vapedg13

Veteran
GreenCure = potassium bicarbonate.

Sodium bicarbonate is 80% as effective as potassium bicarbonate at a fraction of the cost.

Sodium bicarbonate costs $3.75 for 12 lbs. at Walmart (i.e. ChinaMart) vs. GreenCure prices.

YMMV

CC

I paid $12 for 8 oz of Greencure which makes 24 gallons of mix ....I have yet to use it all.....the spreader they use is way better than dish soap.

I'll pay alittle extra for the 20% more effectiveness and the research that went into this product...I tried using everything.. H202... baking soda... milk...Greencure is the Shit worked the best for me http://www.muckbootsonline.com/GreenCure_Fungicide_p/gc8oz.htm

bterzz

Veteran
what do you suggest this is from then? 4 hours, after everything looked GREAT. Sulphur burned in the room for 2 hours tops. No exhaust, not sealed. One oscillating fan blowing.

REZDOG

Veteran
what do you suggest this is from then? 4 hours, after everything looked GREAT. Sulphur burned in the room for 2 hours tops. No exhaust, not sealed. One oscillating fan blowing.

Was it hot in the room?
Like I said,I've had sulfur burning 12 hrs in a 75f environment with No Issues.
Didja' use neem,an oil-based pesticide,or such,not long ago?
Fwiw,I also used a professionally-built sulfur vaporizer,that evenly meters a fixedtemp vaporizer heat-as opposed to your "ghetto" setup....I bet yours ran super-hot and vaporized WAY too much sulfur,too quickly.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the key word here is 'ghetto-rigged'!
sulfur burners work well if they're properly thermostatically controlled.
this means that they only heat to the temp required to vaporize, not burn, sulfur and then maintain that temp as required.
the bulb or coil style sulfur burners almost never work properly, exceeding the required temp and burning the sulfur. a thick cloud of sulfur smoke follows. this is not so good for your plants.
unfortunately, good sulfur burners are not cheap. mine was about 70, wholesale. the good news is that sulfur is cheap and a 1 lb bag will last forever. another perk of owning a higher quality sulfur burner is that the sulfur vapors are significantly less smelly than burning sulfur. and the basic components are generally more durable.
i give'em 6 hours of sulfur, once or twice a week, veg or flower all the way through week 5. no fans. take your rH meters out of the room, also, as it fries their probe.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I live in a 'test kitchen' for powdery mildew (i.e. the Pacific Northwest) and my deal is using Dyna-Gro Neem Seed Oil along with food-grade yucca extract (no preservatives) twice a week - religiously.

Both neem seed oil and yucca extract not only prevent PM and spider mites but it also feeds the plant.

Trying to 'cure' PM is fool's errand. There are a plethora of products at both the retail and commercial agriculture and horticulture levels and most/many of them simply do not work.

Then again, the 'stoner grow store' industry has little, if any, interest in providing their customers with viable fixes - they're in it for the money and little else.

That's why their 'cures' are universally rejected by professionals.

YMMV

CC

Last edited:

bterzz

Veteran
bingo, theres my problem.

my fault..

my ghetto rigged machine ruined my crop..

After looking at those pictures, is there really only one thing to do?? Chop everything?

bterzz

Veteran
I live in a 'test kitchen' for powdery mildew (i.e. the Pacific Northwest) and my deal is using Dyna-Gro Neem Seed Oil along with food-grade yucca extract (no preservatives) twice a week - religiously.

Both neem seed oil and yucca extract not only prevent PM and spider mites but it also feeds the plant.

Trying to 'cure' PM is fool's errand. There a plethora of products at both the retail and commercial agriculture and horticulture levels and most/many of them simply do not work.

Then again, the 'stoner grow store' industry has little, if any, interest in providing their customers with viable fixes - they're in it for the money and little else.

That's why their 'cures' are universally rejected by professionals.

YMMV

CC

Thank you for the great information for future references.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
bterzz

Consider adding a silicon product like Dyna-Gro Pro-Tekt. Read up on why you would want to add silicon to your plants.

CC

G

Greyskull

neem is like magic organic stuff....
great fro PM, preventing pest infestations... it makes the leaves greener.... good stuff.

Latest posts

Latest posts