What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sulfur toxicity and low P issues

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Well we're at a full week of the first 2 transplants. Still no sign of ill effect. Not even the cut I stuck in uncut soil. I'm guessing my better bet is using the 1:1 cut though. I'm a little weary still planting into uncut stuff .

I will need to up pot very soon at least 2 of them. My flower tent may have to get real crowded
Slownickle says I need to burn some plants to see how much is too much.... guess I need to try harder.

let's see some pics

Stoobeey

Slownickle says I need to burn some plants to see how much is too much.... guess I need to try harder.

let's see some pics
The shot with a bunch of plants are all in the same soil but pre amending.

First lankyish girl is in 1:2 soil:promix, the other one is in 1:1 mix, the small clone is in amended uncut mix

Attachments

• 20230615_161223.jpg
    20230615_161223.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230615_161245.jpg
    20230615_161245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230615_161249.jpg
    20230615_161249.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230615_161237.jpg
    20230615_161237.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48

Stoobeey

looks like my soil is "super".... they look pretty happy.
The way you were talking I was expecting that small clone to just burn or wither. I'll up pot into 1:1 for now and maybe I'll drop a small layer of uncut in the bottom of the 7s. Good to know a clone can survive in it (I had been making a bus compost, ewc, and perlite heavy mix for seedlings and clones).

Ok my next question lies in when I flip a plant in a couple of weeks ... Or so lol. Top dressing at flip so things are working by end of stretch? I'm trying to gain a better understanding, so that I'm doing this with the right amendments. And not trashing my soil before next testing. I've slowly been reading the slownickel discussion and I see him and others talking about pushing K later , etc but are they outdoors ? I feed a cpl of basic teas during a run not a lot

Stoobeey

These are the ones flowering 2 weeks in. Soil I just haphazardly amended from that first test I did (not analyze by Logan). I did add more gypsum, and a tiny bit of trip phos and those same micros you had me amend with as a too dress last week. Teeeeny tiny bits lol. Since 2 didn't get bushy I think I'm going to push it and flip 1 more and run 6 at once in here.
20230615_230909.jpg
20230615_230901.jpg

Stoobeey

Is this the white og not like the 1:1? I can't tell if it's that or it just hasn't colored up the newer growth . I still have a clone in uncut mix and it's fine.. shell ne moved to flower sometime next week
16876560446991633513930922893776.jpg
20230624_181747.jpg

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
probably but there are other things like watering and heat that could be stressing it but not surprising ... you are just using water right? what kind of water?

also if plants look happier in the straight mix go with that. cutting it might give worse results.

Stoobeey

probably but there are other things like watering and heat that could be stressing it but not surprising ... you are just using water right? what kind of water?

also if plants look happier in the straight mix go with that. cutting it might give worse results.
The plant I put on 1:1 mix for a cpl of weeks didn't show those signs.

Oh ya know what I did line the bottom of this pot with uncut. Maybe that was the mistake. I mean I know she'll make it thru flower not really too worried .

Yeah RO only. Temps are 78 to 80 rh 60.
I raised the quantum boards up a bit too . Maybe led burn?

Stoobeey

White og is up front. Seems ok now . I can't believe I have 6 x 7 gal in here now hah. My poor dehuey during lights off View attachment 18859198
I'm also extremely impressed with the veg plants still in 2 gal bags a month deep and look fine. Going to keep waiting to up pot them. Still got a solid 4 weeks before I could flip another. Top dressem all with some EWC and watered in some recharge and molasses

Attachments

• 16880993783197139167558233310344.jpg
    16880993783197139167558233310344.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32

Stoobeey

So that plant is done stretching. Should I be too dressing something specific. I don't want to screw with this soil too much if no need. Or just throw some amendments on too and hope I'm right

Attachments

• IMG_20230706_192345_01.jpg
    IMG_20230706_192345_01.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 48

Ca++

Is that P deficiency down the left hand side?

I'm unsure about your water distribution. Just one emitter in such a big pot seems a little low. Factor in it's fabric, and I imagine it could be quite dry in places. Water is my main concern, as nothing can
be done, if watering isn't right first.

The little one's look nice. The bigger ones just in transition look alright. Then a couple of weeks later... crash.
This indicates the food ran out, or was not increased to meet demand. If watering is a problem, then areas of the pot could be useless. Effectively giving you smaller pots than it appears.
Perhaps you just didn't feed them. Canna suggest a 40% EC increase at that time. You don't even have any food. LED is demanding, so I question if the pots are big enough, even if well maintained.

I wonder what the limitation of a carrot is. I would be very interested to see how far the moisture gets to spread, before the plant takes it. The carrot only supplies the water as quick as the plant takes it (plus evaporation). How much root zone space will the water get to travel though, before an efficient drinker has taken it. With no plant in a standard pot, the water from the carrot isn't intercepted, so will get everywhere. With a big plant in fabric, that's quite different.
P deficient plants will grow longer thin roots out. Looking for pockets of P, to branch into. A carrot grow might make that a pointless exercise. A study would be nice. For now, a poke it would answer many of my questions.

Stoobeey

I'm unsure about your water distribution. Just one emitter in such a big pot seems a little low. Factor in it's fabric, and I imagine it could be quite dry in places. Water is my main concern, as nothing can

The little one's look nice. The bigger ones just in transition look alright. Then a couple of weeks later... crash.
This indicates the food ran out, or was not increased to meet demand. If watering is a problem, then areas of the pot could be useless. Effectively giving you smaller pots than it appears.
Perhaps you just didn't feed them. Canna suggest a 40% EC increase at that time. You don't even have any food. LED is demanding, so I question if the pots are big enough, even if well maintained.

I wonder what the limitation of a carrot is. I would be very interested to see how far the moisture gets to spread, before the plant takes it. The carrot only supplies the water as quick as the plant takes it (plus evaporation). How much root zone space will the water get to travel though, before an efficient drinker has taken it. With no plant in a standard pot, the water from the carrot isn't intercepted, so will get everywhere. With a big plant in fabric, that's quite different.
P deficient plants will grow longer thin roots out. Looking for pockets of P, to branch into. A carrot grow might make that a pointless exercise. A study would be nice. For now, a poke it would answer many of my questions.
Aside form the one finishing stretch that's in the retooled soil those other plants are in soil that was missing lots of shit that I've top dressed in what I was missing (I'm chucking the soil in those 5 pots after harvest).

Most of them should be finished in 2 weeks. The next rounds will all be in the new soil. They were I their pots 2x as long as they should have been already before flower due to all my issues I was having.

But when I had test all my soil was basically out of P. I've top dress bird guano , but I guess not enough. I could run a tea with it
As for carrots the 7 gals typically get 2. 1 short and 1 long on opposite sides of pot (I turn their drip point every cpl weeks usually).

Remember I'm in organic so I can't go tossing feed in my water. Teas, top dress, and fish hydros about all I use.

Stoobeey

Also in regards to carrots and dry pockets it can happen and I try to hand water a cpl times a week too. I have extra emitters and such I can attach to a carrot and run around the pot too if I want. Eventually the plant firms a big root mass at the carrot site (coming up thru the soil. I can post a photo of it happening in the white og pot, which needs a long carrot added or at least emitters)

Ca++

Be interesting to see how much happier the roots are in that pic. It suggests you need more areas like that. I bet it's hard work distributing such a low flow rate though. My mind went to 'watersheds' where the drip lands on a knife edge, so has to get divided. This boiled down to a plastic drinking straw, bent in a V, with a side missing at that point. So the water could fall into the middle of the straw, and have the fold act as a watershed. I'm not sure if these actually drip though, or trickle occasionally.
I do like a drip system for simplicity. Some think it's complicating things, but really it puts the water just where I want it, at 33ml per minute. It's compliant.

Stoobeey

Be interesting to see how much happier the roots are in that pic. It suggests you need more areas like that. I bet it's hard work distributing such a low flow rate though. My mind went to 'watersheds' where the drip lands on a knife edge, so has to get divided. This boiled down to a plastic drinking straw, bent in a V, with a side missing at that point. So the water could fall into the middle of the straw, and have the fold act as a watershed. I'm not sure if these actually drip though, or trickle occasionally.
I do like a drip system for simplicity. Some think it's complicating things, but really it puts the water just where I want it, at 33ml per minute. It's compliant.
I've had great luck with them regardless. I get big growth using then vs hand water. I have a bad back from being a chef for half my life, so that also played a roll in blumats

Latest posts

Latest posts