What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SULFUR PLASMA LIGHTING!!!! 100% SUN

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Just reading in "Urban Gardener Mag." the March-April edition of this year on p.48 Titled "PLASMA GROW LIGHTS".
OR go to http://www.plasma-i.com/
Anyways this looks amazing studies are showing a 60% increase in cucumber weight compared to HPS lights. So not to shabby. Although it will cost $3,500 per 1000w. Currently it is research prices your paying since that is the only market that uses them. lol
This light matches the sun and I am sure will be nutty in 5 to 10 years, doing spring, summer, fall... all seasonal intensities!!!!
Bye bye LED hello PLASMA.
Other Great New Lighting Systems:
- light emitting plasma www.luxim.com or www.chameleongrowsystems.com Solar Genesis 6(roman numeral) nutty new LED's
- Sun Pulse Lighting has new Pulse Start Metal Halide's www.sunpulselamps.com or www.lifelighttec.com
- Phillips has a new HPS 400V http://************/yjzx2dk the missing info is "tinyurl(dot)com"
- http://www.eyehortilux.com/blue.html this is a cool bulb available now with great spectrum for vegging

Costs for each unit vary as well as their results but this is the most progress i have seen in a while.

meduser180056

I read that article too...

I can't wait for more energy efficient lights that are even closer to matching the suns spectrum.

If youve ever seen how thick and vigorous a plant can get under full sun in the right conditions compared to it's indoor sisters then you know this is going make things even better for us.

B. Friendly

Veteran
60% heavier cuc's that's a deadly start over HPS, You know these would pay for them selves in about 1.5 grows??? kinda worth the dollars on a small scale to find out???

gomer

I'm not going to get very excited just yet. The same thing has been said for years. There will be more new threads about this new technology next year and the year after. Remember the High Times article.

EDIT/UPDATE:
I did not mean to sound negative on the technology itself since it may have great potential. I would love to see the price fall on the current generation of lights so I could try one. My difference of opinion was that I don't feel it is a new idea and doubt that it will become widely available at a reasonable price in the next few years. I did not feel it was a new announcement. I've been following this discussion for years. Based on lab trials and technological data these lights should be used not just for plants but for numerous industrial applications. Many if not most articles I have read make it sound like this lamp technology will become affordable in the next couple of years. After a while I arrived at my original opinion above. It will be a while.

Google "Sulfur Plasma" to see the amount of discussion. One local example of past discussions:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=54976

Last edited:
The only thing new is the packaging , just a rehash of the same old . Notice how that large curve is on the green side of the spectrum . Let me know when the blue & reds peak out at an equal or higher rate than the sun .

Besides , that graph leaves a lot to be desired . There is no relative energy percentage marking the left side of the graph . By guesstimation , the blue and red spectrums of that graph doesn't look any more impressive than what can be accomplished with the right combination of current HID lamps . Find a graph with the verticle column labled and then post it , otherwise it's just worthless .

B. Friendly

Veteran
The othe right combination of current HID lamps . Find a graph with the verticle column labled and then post it , otherwise it's just worthless .
having trouble following the suns line, not to difficult it's just a visual to get an idea. thanks so much of your helpful feed back.

So everybody knows half of these products are not on the market yet.

FreeMan

I've seen one of these fired up... very impressive coverage! It was in the middle of a room about 4m x 3m and it covered the whole ceiling in light easily. Only concern is if the in-built cooling goes and it doesn't trip the power off, you could be in a whole lot of trouble very quickly as the bulb gets HOT. Not sure if that's a feature or not (it definitely should be if not). These will make HPS redundant on big grow ops for sure. Maybe a little too oversized for your average home/cab/tent grower.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
having trouble following the suns line, not to difficult it's just a visual to get an idea. thanks so much of your helpful feed back.

So everybody knows half of these products are not on the market yet.

hmmm, maybe you dont realize that these ARE the same exact plasma's that were out years ago with the same shitty spectrum.

why dismiss what people say, when they have tried to grow with them? do you, or are you going to distributing them? maybe thats why you like them so much?

just like led's, waste of money.........you will never, ever see a big op with plasma or led's.....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
What happened to yours krunchbubble... was it magnetron failure also? Interested to hear your experience as you didn't really explain in the other thread. The one I saw looked like it was putting out some decent light but moving parts means more to go wrong, I wouldn't like to risk it in the lighting.

mine was encased in a box with a glass shield and an exhaust fan. was vegging with it for close to week. the plants DID NOT like the light, the did the claw almost right away, but i still had faith with it, it cost some big money, had to work. but, the moms looked like absolute shit with this light, they degraded quickly.

came home on the 6th day of having it, exhaust fan burned out, blew the bulb and glass in the housing. went to the company with it to exchange it or at least something. they acted like i didnt buy it from them, even though we talked in great length about it before i bought it. they would not exchange or refund my money. so, i threw it at there glass entry door when i left....

gomer

Krunchbubble, did you have problems with radio frequency interference? Not sure if yours operated long enough to notice.

Hold up just a minute.

There is a new type of plasma out there. It's not the same as the old spinning-bulb light that nobody liked. It's VERY new and not many people have them, even for testing. I have a link.

http://www.gardenscure.com/420/soil-grow-journals/130296-plasma-light-test.html

It's a new light that isn't available for sale AFAIK, but there are quite a few people testing it to be able to mass-produce for retail. It really is a new technology, not the same old plasma. It just has the same name as the old tech, but it is not the same thing.

Googling this pays off. I'm waiting for them to come out with a vertical version.

It looks like this technology pairs well with red LED lighting as a supplement... so we'll see how it really turns out.

Any questions?

Latest posts

Latest posts