What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

STRESS TO MAKE FEMALES EXPRESS INTERSEXED FLOWERS

Baba Ku

Veteran
I don't think any female plant that has the ability to express stamen at all is what would call a true female plant. But in my estimation there probably is no such thing as a truly all female plant that does not have the intersex gene in it's map at some level. I would bet what we actually see is plants that simply carry the gene at different levels of latency. We may not be able to coax it out of the plant, but perhaps we simply haven't used the right stress yet?
In any event, I sort of look at it like this...
If we have a brown sock on one foot and a blue sock on the other foot, we have a mismatch. Something that is not desirable in the world of fashion. However, if our pants cover up the socks and nobody ever sees them, what difference does it make? I mean, if they don't show, then we are not out of fashion sense.
Now, if we feel we Must know what lays beneath the pants cuffs, then just start raising the water...soon enough we will lift out pants up to keep the water off them, and we can then see what lied in wait underneath...mismatched socks. We may not want to use the guy with mismatched socks to be in our upcoming fashion event...he simply doesn't have good fashion sense and may hose our whole show...so he is a no-go. And wasn't it good that we raised the water level a bit to see who was hiding such bad fashion sense underneath, so we didn't keep a clothes clown in the cadre? Surely we would be in the middle of a Vogue shoot and he would hose the whole group making us all look like fashion heathens, and also degrading the monetary value of our total presentation.

Yes, I am fairly well stoned atm. :)

Firstly I don't go with true females, Baba Ku have you played with the temps etc..

@ anyone else, does anyone find the effects of sugar play any part with stress and the plant?

kasvi

At what time of plants life should I stress them to get them reversed?
Just before and at beginning of flowering?
I will use heat stress, over watering, under watering, random light cycle to induce stress and maybe even transplant shock by squeezing roots when I transplant them.

I could do it in this order:
1. transplant shock
2. over watering
3. under watering
4. heat stress
5. random light cycle

Or should I try to do them at same time?
Something like this:
1.transplant shock and random light cycle
2.over watering and heat stress and random light cycle
3.under watering and heat stress and random light cycle

Bongstar420

Intersex/hermphrodism are autosomal traits in general though it is possible to have sex linked traits on a mutant line (IE only males or females are intersexed). Males and females transmit traits according to autosomal distribution patterns. There are silencing genes which can mask the presence of these traits as evidenced by non-intersex parents generating intersexed offspring. There are modifier genes which will make intersex show under different conditions depending on the genotype. I have only seen intersexing with the presence of disease or root aphid. I used to think it was from photoperiod disruption but have since tested intersex susceptible plants to not revert with light leaks present. I doubt that there is a female that won't be reversed with horomone manipulation and therefore I suspect that "true female" is a misnomer.

The intersex traits are genes that either produce more of a certain hormone (like giberellin) or which block the formation of certain hormones (like ethylene). A couple of metals are known to disrupt ethylene resulting in anther development.

I don't have any proof of it but I would imagine that the hermie trait will pass on from males to the daughters and possibly manifest there. If hermie free cannabis is the goal I would avoid them.

True... if the male is in there it is in there to make seed. So it is doing no immediate damage... but does it pass the trait on to the girls and result in hermie females or just hermie sons of those females?

Exactly what I'm thinking...

This is one of the things I've been thinking about... Seems to me that some type of experiment could be done using reversed males to get a rough idea of what is traveling with the Y chromosome.

Could intersex males be carrying the trait exclusively on the Y?

Will the trait become more intense if a male with these tendencies is reversed and then selfed since the resulting progeny are getting a double dose of Y?

These reversal techniques seem like they could yield some very useful information of exactly what is on the X and Y chromosomes, with a properly structured experiment, and the ability to carry the experiment out.

Another thought... can a YY male be reversed and yield seed? This might be important to the success of any experiment like this.

G

Gr33nSanta

I had a clone of some F3 Spacebomb (SpaceDude X Romulan) X Medicine (Sweet skunk X romulan i think) she was my keeper, but she would almost always herm a bit on the lowers. I was about to get rid of her when I finally grew her to perfection with not a single nanner or seed. It made me realized that perhaps she would hermi because of maybe too much lumens or other things in the soil mix.

I have also noticed that another way to stress a plan, in organic settings, to find out if she is a true female, is to mess up with the ph, like using pine needles for mulch in the pots, etc ...

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found in hydro that the main factors to really test individuals are..

veg nutes .. while in 12/12 cycle

high ph.. this is because more there are more nitrogen in the higher ph range...

blue spectrum in 12 / 12

pathogen...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found in hydro that the main factors to really test individuals are..

veg nutes .. while in 12/12 cycle

high ph.. this is because more there are more nitrogen in the higher ph range...

blue spectrum in 12 / 12

pathogen...

I flower under an EYE Hortilux Blue bulb when I go indoors. Never had a problem using blue light and I actually prefer the bud density & potency over HPS grow buds.

HPS causes the plants to stretch more & put more energy into veg growth compared to MH grown plants.
MH strrtches less & produces more trichomes, from my perspective.

Dog Star

Veteran
There is a different kind of stresses that induce response from plant and there
is a kind of stress that if you reverse plant in that way you will get best type
of feminized seeds,so good that you can breed with those seeds and dont expect
a herms in progeny ever...

knowledge is a deep water..

Dakine

Veteran
Yup Doggie!

Reversing A plant with simple methods like Light Leaks is basically just bringing out the hermie in her.. If she didnt herm with simple stress methods then good, she might be true.. But when using Silver Thiosulfate, yes it is A form of stress but your forcing her to reverse.. If you guys arent able to reverse A female doing A foliar Spray going into flower, I would suggest trying to perfect your application...

Grabbing StS and/or Florel, gonna try it on some males.. I have A group of plants that havent hermied and theyve been dehydrated to the point they are drooping so bad they looked dead in veg and flower lol.. I also never close my flowering tent at night and have all the lights fully on in the room that the tent is in. So its not just changing the light schedule but its constant light leaks. All throughout flower.

I just want to try reversing some males doing A foliar spray going into flower. Want to see if we can really see female traits that will likely pass on in the offspring,

Latest posts

Latest posts