What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

STRESS TO MAKE FEMALES EXPRESS INTERSEXED FLOWERS

~CH9~

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Using colchicine,,,from the Colchicum lilac wonder,(the alkaloids),,reversed sex too,quicker than sts,,,but it is known to be toxic....i won't smoke the buds,but when i tried to use it for tetraploid results,treating seeds or plants,i realized it reversed sex much faster than sts with less stress...it also boost the plant metabolism and much better than the ga3 (which i never used cause it is real bad and elongate plants etc..) ,no stretch at all,,,leaves becoming bigger,darker,with much more water intake...

i never used it for commercial seeds...for sure.
(i mixed a colchicum bulb with the same volume of water,pressed it and spray it the best I could,not so liquid...,,) maybe 5-10 sprays over a 10 days period.Male flowers then start coming quick...maybe 1-2 week faster than sts,where the minimum is like 20-25 days...to get results...maybe 15 days were enough with the Colchicine.
I guess it provides the same kind of "emergency pollen" use to make fem seeds with sts.

I treated seeds directly and results were bad...will test the seeds i made soon and will keep you update but I have doubts,even if a plant become tetraploid which was probably the case due to the fact the plants were pumping 2-3 times more water ,may not affect potency at all? on direct treated plant...at least.
but who knows on the seeds they produced..? will let you know when i test them.

Plants treated this way were not stronger,,,,the progeny seeds,I have not tested them yet so well,,when i did for a few,i got bad germination results which is a good thing indeed, (it was done by spraying some plants ,maybe 10 times with a spray of colchicine after they were pollinated with some sts pollen) what i am trying to say is the colchicine may provide the exact same pollen as sts,,,and it may work to make fem seeds...(sorry it is pretty long,i don't want discourage the use of colchicine by saying i got poor germ rate,cause the way i tried,was hard....spraying a plant that make seeds can be very armfull instead of using pollen made by spraying a neighboor plant...)

now using colchicine pollen and pollinating another plant won't make me think for sure the seed will be tetraploid so i did it differently.

I just sprayed 2 plants that were sts pollinated with colchicine to make some fem seeds tetraploids....

if on 200 seeds only a few are making it there is some chances the tetraploid gene passed on and that only the progeny will have more potency maybe? but not the plant directed treated...or a plant can just become tetraploid without more potency...

i am convinced that simply using colchicine to make pollen and polinated a neighboor plant will give birth to female seed with a very good germination rates....(not specially tetra seeds,this way)

roots stress can help too,,,as topping etc....to produce sex reversal,and acid ph (3-4) for 10 days or more

Auxins,ga3,cytokinins,reversed sex,,,it is often found inside all those boosters products....

my personal thoughts is that what some people call pure female are plants that under indoor or outdoor condition even with natural stress will not produce any reversal flowers,

but with a sts applications or other reversal applications these plants will produce male bags,,,

i think the herma genes are latent and plants have a different ceiling to be trigger.And all plants can reverse sex and they do it to survive,,I don't think a plant that will never produce male bags under sts or other applications will be able to grow cause i think all plants can reverse.

while using sts i never found one plant resisting it,,some are harder to trigger but after 40 days and a few applications they do produce male bags...

with all respects to the pioneers etc...the prove will be to try to trigger with a sex reversal application what you guys call your pure female...and see the results...

i am convinced these plants will never show a hermaphrodite tendency under natural condition...but probably not, using a sex reversal applications.

what ever the herma genes or male genes are latent or produced or reversed the last minute during heavy stress,you name it! but I think all plants can be reversed.more or less easily ,with different ceilings but all plants,through reversal applications.

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
List the amounts of Rotenone used so I can try it.

Liquid Derris Plus from Bio MAFF - 07059

Product contains 8g/ltre of rotenone.

Soil drench at 5 mil/litre to runnoff.

Now use silver to avoid the damage.

Brastaman

CH9 - So, you claim there are no true females because all cannabis plants can be switched via some type of reversal methods. Interesting. I have not come across a pure or true female yet.

S

Scoobs

Hormones is what causes the physical sex traits to be seen in plants and animals.

Naturally, Genes are read to create the hormones.

Not so naturally, hormones can be introduced artificially to cause sex reversal in plants and animals.

I prefer nature's way.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a few clones that I tried to stress into hermying and nothing worked. I tried it three times with three different clones.

I did everything Sam suggested along with leaving them in flower two extra weeks and then trying to kill them by withholding water and then starting watering again. On top of that I turned off the lights for three days, turned them on for three days and then back to dark. Nothing worked.

Because of this I am a firm believer that a true female can not be made to hermie by stressing her.

Nugz

I have a few clones that I tried to stress into hermying and nothing worked. I tried it three times with three different clones.

I did everything Sam suggested along with leaving them in flower two extra weeks and then trying to kill them by withholding water and then starting watering again. On top of that I turned off the lights for three days, turned them on for three days and then back to dark. Nothing worked.

Because of this I am a firm believer that a true female can not be made to hermie by stressing her.

Hey JJ, just out of curiosity, and if you read this, did you try constant light leaks at least during the first 3 weeks of flower if or the entire flower period?

JWP

Yeah so in my ideal breeding project the number one on the list is finding homogeneous true males and females.

So in the 2 years that this thread has done nothing has anyone been stressing all the plants they have looking for this?

I dont know of many who are stressing females and only one who is reversing males.

SamS did you ever find a male that you couldnt reverse?

Baba Ku

Veteran
I certainly have a female that will not reverse with light stress of different sorts, or with STS. I treated her with a control group that all reversed successfully, however she has never ever produced the first stamen.
No reversals with her, unless someone can suggest other means to make her intersex???
Of course she could well be a true female...and if we have a true female, how are we going to self it? (lol...am I missing something obvious?)

whodair

Veteran
ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO USE STRESS TO MAKE A FEMALE EXPRESS A FEW MALE FLOWERS?

-SamS

sam,

1st i walk into the grow room, and the trouble begins...next i get heavy handed...

waterboarding, a cruel sort of torture, will often do the trick...drown the victim, let them come up for a bit of air, resume drowning...

picture.php

a more sturdy stock may require prolonged root submersion !!

mr cheese

I certainly have a female that will not reverse with light stress of different sorts, or with STS. I treated her with a control group that all reversed successfully, however she has never ever produced the first stamen.
No reversals with her, unless someone can suggest other means to make her intersex???
Of course she could well be a true female...and if we have a true female, how are we going to self it? (lol...am I missing something obvious?)

may i ask what strain you reffer to?? only strain iv come across that wouldn't self is the original uk cheese, no matter what i try, apparently franco has managed it, i really hope so.. mrc

JWP

We arent going to self it, we are going to find a male that cant be reversed and breed these two hopefully homozygous true sex plants.

In theory none of the progeny should ever hermie..

I bet a intersexed male could be as bad as an intersexed female for the genepool.
But it is a lot less damage to the rest of the crop being grown at the time.
I do not know if intersexed females and intersexed males are moderated by the same genes, and either sex will get them if they are present, or if they are gender specific and different for each sex and have no influence on the other sex.
Anyone else have an opinion?

-SamS
I have thought about this before. A "female" with one pollen sack can fertilize herself and make many seeds while a male that reverses can only make as many female ovals as it can produce in the time that pollination is acceptable so male to females just seem inefficient in the long run. I theorize that the reversal of a male would not have the same ill effects as the other way around (based solely on the fact that we desire females and the male is still just as effective for what we need them for with or w/out pistils) and in fact I believe DJ Short said that these kind of reversals actually result in more female offspring and are a desired trait.

Baba Ku

Veteran
We arent going to self it, we are going to find a male that cant be reversed and breed these two hopefully homozygous true sex plants.

In theory none of the progeny should ever hermie..
I agree with that completely.
My question was actually concerning the early thoughts in this thread...

Bounty29 asks; So would selfed seeds from a true female be female 100% of the time? What are the benefits of working with "true females"?

Sam answers; Yes, they are. No intersexed plants, if the females used to make the seeds are TRUE FEMALES.

See, there in lies the rub...
A 100% female plant is not going to throw out any female seeds from a selfing, basically because she isn't going to self. She does not have the intersex mechanism to allow stamen to be produced. So consequently she is not going to produce any seeds at all from a selfing.
And even if we have two true females, which one of them is going to throw stamen so we can pollinate the other and show no intersex progeny?

I knew the answer to my questions, I was just trying to spark some intelligent debate.

(just a side note...I think we need to be careful when talking these issues and distinguish between selfings and reversals. Lots of difference between the two)

This is some interesting stuff...

How about a plant you stress & the couple nanners she throws are always sterile ? Is this a true female ? I would guess no, but this is all new to me... thanks for any feedback :wave:

t2

Latest posts

Latest posts