What's new

Strange Slime buildup on roots

ubet28

I ran some super thrive in my water farms setup and guess what slime. So i will not be running super thrive anymore.

jarff

purple_lemon said:
ya, those little fungus flies are sneaky. i tried to kill them with my hands and they fly away and disappear. these worms had a catapillar like set of feet to crawl with.

by the way i tested two plants with physan20 at 2 drops (drops using a dropper) per gallon and left it in the res for two days. now my plants have stopped growing and are turning yellow. there goes 1500 dollars. oh well. i hope people learn from this...don't leave it in too long...these were young plants ,7 inches high, i tested them on and barely had a set of roots just starting to grow....for some reason i didn't think the physan would do this. thats why i did it...damn

Dam...man that sucks...I never used Physan in small plants just large ones...It is strong shite but I didn,t think such a small amount could do so much damage even if they were small plants...Tough way to find out how it works. Sure they are screwed? I,d do a flush and add something like Rhizotonic...Just tryin to make suggestions...Good luck....
jarff

G

SuperThrive, they spec 1 drop per gallon-------how much did you put in that would cause SLIME?

I have never seen so many folks having such a hard time growing a simple damned weed.

Last edited:

jarff

Ty-Stik said:
SuperThrive, they spec 1 drop per gallon-------how much did you put in that would cause SLIME?

I have never seen so many folks having such a hard time growing a simple damned weed.

Slime is slime..and even if it,s a simple weed...slime sometimes creeps into the root system of this simple weed.....been there got it several times and am always on the look-out. b,cause of this thread I have learned a lot on how to control the brown algae...my present show has never looked better..hopefully any to follow will be successful also.
peace out
jarff

burnt out og'er
Veteran
KUSHEATER1 said:
i love hands on training stay safe and grow till you die.Never trust hydro guys they are there to sell ,trust the plant she will show you all ya need to know.Iuse gh micro and bloom no additives and a water chiller with great results :headbange

Right on Kusheater1 :joint:

I notice that theres one thing most sufferers of "the slime" have in common, is the giant laundry list of additives and snake oils polluting their reservoirs.
Kitchen sink ? <--it's in there !

jarff

Hey 10K I finally got rid of my kitchen sink...at last.lol
Funny thing is I always suspected the additives,but I always seemed to believe the hydro-shop owner...But recently found out these guys sometimes don,t tell the truth..
big lol..
My new approach is working out terrific...It takes time to find out all the right stuff.
peace out
jarff

KUSHEATER1

I don't use any additives a giant waste of money but to each his or her own,but if you like I can get some water and add some color and smell and then say this new shit will give ya more this and more that to make this better they should just say step up suckers there's 1 a minute don't be dumb guys (retract)not dumb lets say not smart...

KUSHEATER1

well I'm on my 8th year of growing still a newbie but I have Abusive Og and Bubba kush going and there great with no additives.Now I have had my bout with slime and root rot but through trial and error I have found out that if I don't use any additives and cut back on all that we feed these girls your harvest will be better ,I'm into quality folks and it has to be fire dank for me to even put it to my mouth...

My last run of bubba and the master kush I lost but have gotten the bubba back actually a beter bubba

KUSHEATER1

Only when ya try too hard and use a pleathera of different gunk

jarff

Thanx to forums like IC and the growers with experience giving their advice is what is giving so much help to all those having probs.mostly from hearsay,from friends who heard a story about how someone got 3 grams a watt by using double strengrh Miracle Grow,with cat piss added.Just imagine how growing has advanced since the advent of the interent and the different forums giving good advice.
I learn something new almost every day..and I appreciate all the info I get from ppl. with experience
It all takes time. I,m def. one who has learned the damage that adding too much of this or that can do to my medicating plants.....
I,ll never look back...I,m a happy hippie..
peace out
jarff

This is a very informative thread. I'm pretty sure i was getting the slime on my roots.. was building up on the roots themselves and on the airstones and tubing (in my DWC setup). I changed the res frequently and rinsed the tubing and airstones well and used lots of H2O2 and things have actually turned out rather well so far. And, luckily, i'm pulling this off with ambient air temps always in the 70's (no chiller - not sure what the water temps are - no way to change them other than to keep the whole grow cool). Hopefully things continue to look good. I ordered some Physan 20 anyway (just showed up the other day) and am now using DM Zone based on the recommendations in this thread. I think the plants liked the Zone, and if anything aside from my other preventative measures, the Zone is what is controlling the algae right now. So things are looking good, and i have the Physan20 if i need it. Glad i came across this thread! Will likely save me a lot of problems in the future.

rr14

magoo420 said:
YEP, YOU'VE BEEN ROOT SLIMED.....I HAD THEIRS PROBLEM BEFORE, IT SEEMS THAT HIGH TEMPS ARE THE MOST TO BLAME AND HYGIENE. GET YOUR WATER TEMP INTO THE HIGH 60'S DO LOTS OF CHANGE OUTS AND I USED ZONE BY DUTCH MASTER ....FOR ME IT WORKED THE BEST.....GOOD LUCK

damn, i'm using gh 3 part and zone and I still got slimed. My grow is about a month into veg with floros (hence the long veg time). My res temps aren't that great (73-75) but come on! I've also tried hydroguard in the past and I've scrapped 3 crops due to this crap. God Damned brown algae!!!! I'm going to get some of this high power crap and blast it!!!

On a more serious note, in the past I used hydroguard and it only did so much before one day my plant drooped like I hadn't watered it.... only it was in a dwc 18 gallon rubbermaid with a huge root structure. Roots looked like they had the rot.

This grow is has been used with zone and it still got the rot. It is my understanding that zone is a res sterilizer. Apparently the physan 20 kills anything in site, so I'm thinking of doing a physan 20 treatment tommorrow for about 12 hours and then doing a partial switch of the res. Some physan 20 will be left behind so won't this stuff kill off what isn't already killed off by the zone?

Also, as a preventative, is it an option to treat monthly with this for 12 hours or so and then flush and refresh with new fluids? It seems like this algae stuff is almost always going to show up so it seems like monthly maintenence to treat this crap.

Did we ever determine if a uv sterilizer would help battle this garbage? I'm going to run a recirc dwc so it'd be easy to pick one up and hook it up.

Last edited:

rr14

update....

my gals are about a week from being tossed into flower. I put about 1/2 ml into each one of my 10 gallon rubbermaid res's. Currently the 10 gallon rubbermaids are about 1/2 way full. I'm going to leave the stuff in there for about 6 hours and then flush the system. I didn't have this stuff as bad as you guys; it's mostly preventative. I currently have 1 plant with a decent amount of this stuff on it. I discovered that a little light was getting into the res by the infected plant (or so I think). Hopefully this helps out since zone hasn't helped me so far.

rr14

update... tossed some of this stuff in my hydro res for a little less than 24 hours. When i drained my res, I did see a brown colored sludge on top of the bubbles in the container I was dumping the fluid into. I have never noticed anything other than white bubbles before to my knowledge.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Physan will do that. It gets all the hidden funk out. I posted pics earlier in this thread showing the same thing when I thought everything was sterile after bleaching.

Now you have to make sure your water temps are under 70-72F max. If you can get them lower its even better. Once the temps are under control you have to use preventative measures. That is when DM Zone comes into play. You can try other things as discussed earlier in this thread.

The most important thing you should know is that this could come back. After figuring everything out I still ditched the recirculating hydro. I feed to waste now in a coco blend medium and things are great. I figured my room was infested with algae spores that will always be around because it kept on coming back. So, just know that once slimed, you can always get it again and its not the products like Physan and Zone not doing what they are supposed to.

Control temps.
Physan 20 everything
Go sterile with DM Zone or use a beneficial micro herd (good bacteria and fungi)
Watch out on the organic nutes and stay away from all the Bull S*** additives.

Cyclonite

I hate this crap....just fought a bout with it. I ended up putting them in soil.

I have a better setup now, with lots of O2 and recirculating bio-buckets I haven't had a problem at all....and there are some small light leaks into the res.

Beneficial bacteria rule :headbange

rr14

richyrich, when you fed your plants too much of this stuff, what were the signs? My plants are droopy and I believe it was the heat earlier in the week (we're in a heat wave with low r/h). They haven't bounced back yet.

rr14

Here are the symptoms...

Here are the roots:

this stuff is over running my ladies. I have them in 10 gallon dwc rubbermaids with bubblers in them. I put a about 1/2 a ml in there for about 24 hours earlier in the week and this stuff is still going strong. Should I go crazy and nuke these suckers? What do you suggest?

res alreay has zone in it, new nutes, the res temps are about 70-72.

Last edited: