What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange Slime buildup on roots

Flasht2

I know all about zone and all the other dutch master products. I've been using them exclusively for about a year in my cabinet. I just use my cabinet for keeping the moms now-a-days though.

I was going for the bio side of things though so I wasn't going to add anything else to the buckets. I realized after dumping in the physan 20 that I probably killed off all the bios.. but I'm not sure. I know that more will be constantly added as the room continues functioning but still.

I read the instruction book that came with the physan and it does show there are plants that it can be added to on a weekly basis. That initial dose which you mentioned is specifically stated as just that in the instructions.. an initial dose.. to be followed up weekly by a dose that is half that strength. I would rather NOT be using anything extra as the growth I saw with just bios was incredible.. but if I HAVE to keep using it I damn sure will... just to get me through this harvest. I don't want to lose any more plants! :joint:

FlashT

Last edited:

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
I feel like running an experiment. I put my EZ cloners away because of water heat and constant failure. I kept on getting funk killing my cuts in the EZ with high temps. I'm gonna run the EZ with Physan all the way through and see what happens.

jarff

Brown Algae Haters Club.........LoL
Ain,t it the truth tho,
Funny thing is ...things are lookin, better for most of us.,...sure been an eye opener for me.
I spent $2000 on a UV system and another $700 for RO systems.Always thought it was my water with a ppm of 150 lol..It is nice tho, to have this stuff (UV+RO).But in the end my water wasn,t the problem from what I,ve learned here.
keep on keepin on.
good ruck
jarff

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
I have the same problem with my new clones. Everything was fine untill I did a water chang and added a weak dose of Grow. BAM!! I was screwed. I guess I'll go ahead and order some of this Physan 20.

I guess this is the only stuff that works for it so far?

jarff

Connoisseur300 said:
I have the same problem with my new clones. Everything was fine untill I did a water chang and added a weak dose of Grow. BAM!! I was screwed. I guess I'll go ahead and order some of this Physan 20.

If they are still young you might see the slime disappear with a wee bit of h2o2..I had same prob bout a few grows ago and added some peroxide and they came around and I had a successful show...but do keep a close eye on them and take appropriate action if it continues to hang on......
good luck
jarff

richyrich

Veteran
For those of you who have been following my posts, check out the proof in the pudding. Since I changed over my mother hydro set up I began to notice some blue green algae. You know the usual kind you can get rid of by blocking the light. It was on my tray for about two days because I changed my drain fitting and it is raised, so I need to grind it down some. Anyway, the tray was puddling for the last few days. So, check this out below. If you have read the little bit of info I posted about brown algae, such as it does not need much light and it will overtake blue green algae, then look below. Because, it did exactly that.

Yup, you see some green in there. Yeah, it was all blue green algae until now. The brown algae has taken over. Yes, that is brown. Here is a closer picture.

Even though my mothers are thriving and I previously posted I thought it was gone so far, yeah right. I told you it is the hydro herpes. From my own mouth earlier, you can only contain it so much and only with Zone. I am gonna have to do another Physan20 blast and flush. It's only containable at this point for me. Got to live with it like the herps. I guess we can consider Zone the Valtrex of the hydro meds. You know that stupid herpe commercial that is seen 10 times a day.

That is as brown as it gets. Notice the green algae contrasting with the brown algae. I think that there is some concrete proof.

Live on brown algae haters club.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
jarff said:
Brown Algae Haters Club.........LoL
Ain,t it the truth tho,
Funny thing is ...things are lookin, better for most of us.,...sure been an eye opener for me.
I spent $2000 on a UV system and another $700 for RO systems.Always thought it was my water with a ppm of 150 lol..It is nice tho, to have this stuff (UV+RO).But in the end my water wasn,t the problem from what I,ve learned here.
keep on keepin on.
good ruck
jarff

Damn, jarff. I feel we were on the same level for so long. The crap you have gone through is much like my tribulations. I own so much equipment as I see you do. Damn, to even have to buy a UV system for a couple grand. I know you were desperate for answers like me. The pathetic thing now is my systems are so simple and most of my stuff is put away with no use. Freakin messed up.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
Connoisseur300 said:

Yep, the only stuff. And the sad irony for myself is the cure is a bottle that cost me 9 dollars after I have spent thousands on equipment and bottles of supplements and additives to beat off root rot. 9 freakin dollars this whole time. I sure am glad I have finally figured it out and got my green thumb back. Yeah hoooooo.

jarff

Richyrich great pix ..".proof-in-the-puddin" as you so eloquently put it.
Man I got three weeks in on a new show and it is lookin,like never before.....gonna be a bumper crop I hope!!
When this thread started I never thought that there would be so many ppl. with the same problem without any answers..It was like Catch-22.
Good to see the amount of info that came out on this topic.I think this thread will go on forever.
Again my hat goes off to you richyrich for your diligence and information sharing,without it I,d still be scratching my head and buying gallons of 35% peroxide and burnin the roots off my fresh plants.lol I too have a lot of gear shoved in the corner that I don,t need anymore.I think of it as my initiation fee for starting to grow some so called simple plants....I know I won,t ever have to look back,I feel I can go on with much more ease,in the knowledge I have gained here.
Thanx to all for the input that has made a complicated thing look a lot more simple with the proper diagnosis and treatment.It has also made growin,my meds.much more enjoyable..
peace out
be safe
jarff

Cranberry

great results with microbe-lift pl and ensure

just a little update.

amazing new root growth
all mobile nutrient insufficiencies repaired
(leaves becoming thick and vascular)

added some bigbloom to system, and seamed to enjoy the food. Time will tell.

Garden On :bandit:

testpilot

Maybe I got lucky, but I haven't had a problem since the last cleaning. I ordered Physan 20 but the algae never showed up again so I never had to use it.

I removed everything and bleached/rinsed the system and dipped the netpots in tap + H202 before putting them back in. Stained or dying roots were cut off. I went back to just Flora and Calmag with hydroguard.

I definately screwed up a little though. Spent an extra week in veg messing with the algae, now I have a forest and a nice root mat in the tubes. (been in 12/12 for about a week now.)

jarff

Nice feeling eh Testpilot...I,m in the same boat so to speak..everything in my patch is lookin,super.I went low dose ferts for first two weeks and I got a little too much stretch with the plants but they will stop before they hit 30" and then start filling out.I,m gonna start hittin em with a higher feeding schedule and take it to almost the limit.At least to the point when the leaf tips start to burn then start tapering off. I think I got another strain this time too.I believe it,s Chronic whereas I was growing Heavy Duty....My clone supplier switched to the chronic because of the requests.When I picked up the clones he wasn,t sure if it was indeed Chron..but by the looks of them that,s what they are....Even better as the Heavy Duty was not a real good yielder.....
good luck
jarff

Vdro

i use to get that clearish white brown slime in my dwc sometimes ( not sure if the same as brown alage).......but some parts were clearer brownish, but it was like gooy slime...

well one day i walked into my hydroshop and there is some guy panicing about his dwc system ( i guess it was on a bigger scale) and was talking about the slime....i came in on the middle of the convo and started asking questions about it when the guy left..

and my hydro guy new i was doing DWC and also using SUPERTHRIVE (like the panicing guy).....so he didnt know exaclty what i heard so he goes " oh yeah were just now finding out that using superthrive in dwc can cause that slime"....haha bullshit, just now finding out...2 weeks b4 when i was there complaing about slime he didnt know a damn thing about it "hence" "oh were just now finding out"

anyways long story short superthrive in DWC can cause gooy slime..espically more so when more than normal amount are use instead of the recc of "couple drops per gallon"

but it was very interesting that i had walked in on that, because i know for a FACT that i would have walked in there the very next day to buy a bottle of superthrive and i bet he wouldnt of said shit about any slime...kinda like "oh no, the monekey juice is the bomb, you have nothing to worry about" lol

jarff

VDRO...never thought anyone who runs a hydro store would ever lie.....lol...man I got stuff that ruined more grows then most ppl have seen..But finding IC was a great stroke of luck...I learned more here in three months then I learned in three yrs of listening to guys at the hydro shops..all good stuff here...
jarff

KUSHEATER1

i love hands on training stay safe and grow till you die.Never trust hydro guys they are there to sell ,trust the plant she will show you all ya need to know.Iuse gh micro and bloom no additives and a water chiller with great results :headbange

Last edited:

purple_lemon

question

question

i just oredered Zone..if I use dutch master zone, when i start flowering, will i still get this damn brown algae? right now my plants are perfect. my question is does Zone prevent this brown algae from showing up? or what? i've read the threads, and people say that even though they used Zone, they still got the brown algae after all. and then they say zone works. well which one is it? does it work or not? im going crazy here. and i don't want to be set back by this damn slime again! should i just use physan20 at beginning of flowering to make sure? or just use zone? what about florashield, does that stop it? help me please!!! i want to use something thats gonna prevent it. i don't want to wait until the slime shows up and THEN, use phyan 20. why cant i use physan to prevent it?? i believe in preventing the slime and not waiting for it to show up...

richyrich

Veteran
Think of the Zone as a preventative measure and the Physan as a destroyer if you get it. You need to make sure your environment is clean and your water temps below 70 before anything else. Zone will only keep it contained. Physan will eradicate it but it does come back.

purple_lemon

thanks rich. i'm trying my best not to get this slime/algae again. on my last run, along with the slime , i also had a black fungus on my roots and I DONT MEAN TO GROSS ANYONE OUT BUT, i had these damn worms in my res. they were a centimeter in length, and in 3 days there were like 30 worms in my res crawlin around and eating the roots. it literally made me want to vomit. umm. nothing would kill them. i scooped a worm out and put it in pure 30% h2o2 and it wouldn't die. then, i put the little worm in pure bleach, still wouldn't die! the only thing i think that would kill it is RAID. the bastards wouldn't die. i have never heard or seen anything like this. then i saw the larvae of the worms, yes the babies. they were breeding in my res.. GROSS!!!i should of taken a picture. but i don't want to ruin anyones appetite...i think it came from the tap water here in Los angeles. CAN someone run Physan 20 at 1ml/10 gallons on 1 of there plants if they can spare a plant. we need to find out if it can stay in the res all of the time....i heard its biodegradable leaving no residue when sprayed as a foilar at 5ml/gallon. so wouldn't it biodegrade in the water eventually? think about it!!

richyrich

Veteran
When I first was looking into the Physan I called the company and the lady I spoke to said it was safe to use in a hydro rez..When I use it I don't completely flush it out of my rez before I refill it after the drain. So, some residual Physan is still in my rez after and it hasn't caused any harm at all.

Those black worms you had are most likely fungus knat larvae. Go and get mosquito dunks at Home Depot. Should cost you about $5. Break one in half and dissolve it in warm water. Spread over your roots and then put the rest in your rez.. It is a biological way to kill them that works. Also, get some yellow sticky papers to catch the flying ones. After a weeks time you might want to drop a pyrethin fogger in the room. That is how I got rid of them in the past.

Last edited:

purple_lemon

ya, those little fungus flies are sneaky. i tried to kill them with my hands and they fly away and disappear. these worms had a catapillar like set of feet to crawl with.

by the way i tested two plants with physan20 at 2 drops (drops using a dropper) per gallon and left it in the res for two days. now my plants have stopped growing and are turning yellow. there goes 1500 dollars. oh well. i hope people learn from this...don't leave it in too long...these were young plants ,7 inches high, i tested them on and barely had a set of roots just starting to grow....for some reason i didn't think the physan would do this. thats why i did it...damn

Last edited: