What's new

Strange Slime buildup on roots

Well Ive been slimed!
Ive been growing with soil for 5 years and wanted to get into hydro, I have a aero/dwc setup.

Noticed some brown/reddish algae growth yesterday, most roots are still white with a small amount of the brown algae.

So after reading dozens of pages in this awesome thread, heres my conclusions.

Get some Physan20 initially (10ml per gallon?), then use some Dutchmaster zone afterwards.?

I get get them both today but from separate stores, so I will be doing this tonight. Let me know if I'm ok.

I have a light leak and my temps are at 80F. I have to fix those as well, but I'm not buying a water chiller.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Kind a steered away from Zone a while ago. Use the Physan20 to kill and clean everything. Rinse real well. Zone is for sterilizing and it suppresses but not enough. Especially, if you are not going to get a water chiller and have high temps then go with a UV light for the sterilization avenue. If you want to run higher temps go with beneficial microbes as the safe bet. It should all be in the last 10 pages or so.

Well i bought both the Zone and the physan20. Neither are expensive which is good. Sprayed the roots with a lil bit of h2o2 distilled in water, and only 1.5 ml of the Physan in an 18 gal res. Along with GH 3 part solution. Only after an hour things look really clean. Ph is 6.0,

I am currently running a rainforest aero/dwc, the res is not separate, not too many parts and such. I have lil baby seedlings in there, leaves are in good shape and a healthy green. If things get worse, putting them in soil.

I am planning on building 2 more type boxes with the Vortex sprayer.

What kind of beneficial enzymes do you recommend?

spreadhead

check this out http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/2318.html
it is ask ed saying to use 3oz's per gallon of h2o2. i thought it was a little much so i am staying at 1oz/gallon. i am going to go 5 days and then the EA&EN. anyone know a good root stimulator that will not cost me a small fortune...
richy there is over 18 months of root growth of 3 once 4 plants. the dead roots of the plant that died are either mixed in or came loose as debris in the h2o..i tried to pull on this huge rootball to see what would break loose and was unsuccessful...if i had a better camera than a 2 megapixel, not even a camera phone, i would show you. but for right now there is no way. maybe once the h2o2 gets the color back to white or beige i can recognize the dead roots better

opt1c

Veteran
picture.php

3 weeks, that's 21 days, no res changeouts, no chiller, no ph adjusting, just ewc tea added ever 3 days or so... 100% roots :joint:

Dr. G

my cloner worked for 4-5 mths continuous makeing great clones till i touched my root roting plants and touched some roots in teh cloner by accident

nothing but ro water

i made over 1000 clones in that time since the plants kept dieing and i couldnt figure it out

richyrich

Veteran
check this out http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/2318.html
it is ask ed saying to use 3oz's per gallon of h2o2. i thought it was a little much so i am staying at 1oz/gallon. i am going to go 5 days and then the EA&EN. anyone know a good root stimulator that will not cost me a small fortune...
richy there is over 18 months of root growth of 3 once 4 plants. the dead roots of the plant that died are either mixed in or came loose as debris in the h2o..i tried to pull on this huge rootball to see what would break loose and was unsuccessful...if i had a better camera than a 2 megapixel, not even a camera phone, i would show you. but for right now there is no way. maybe once the h2o2 gets the color back to white or beige i can recognize the dead roots better

It's easiest to separate the roots under water. Use a tub, etc.. You have to get them apart. Those old roots are your rot source. Molest them, break them or cut them. Most likely they are going to recover. If you can't do it you are going to have problems all the way through. It would be best to start over if you choose otherwise.

richyrich

Veteran
my cloner worked for 4-5 mths continuous makeing great clones till i touched my root roting plants and touched some roots in teh cloner by accident

nothing but ro water

i made over 1000 clones in that time since the plants kept dieing and i couldnt figure it out

What you should do is what has been suggested already and you can see my results and the ones right above your post.

opt1c, great roots. Go EWC tea!

richyrich

Veteran
Well i bought both the Zone and the physan20. Neither are expensive which is good. Sprayed the roots with a lil bit of h2o2 distilled in water, and only 1.5 ml of the Physan in an 18 gal res. Along with GH 3 part solution. Only after an hour things look really clean. Ph is 6.0,

I am currently running a rainforest aero/dwc, the res is not separate, not too many parts and such. I have lil baby seedlings in there, leaves are in good shape and a healthy green. If things get worse, putting them in soil.

I am planning on building 2 more type boxes with the Vortex sprayer.

What kind of beneficial enzymes do you recommend?

For sure make your own and its super cheap. It is EWC tea. I have been adding all kinds of cocktails lately. AquaShield, Great White powder and root excelurator (it is a microbe). Read through the posts. Some are having success with other products.

Ipsissimus

Note: Don't be afraid of the sulfuric acid. It is not going to eat your skin off in seconds if you get it on yourself. Eyes would be another story.

it depends on what % strength it is! a good source for high % sulfuric acid are the refills for motorcycle batteries at auto stores. always add acid to water, never vice versa.

sulfuric and phosphoric acid are also superior acids for PH down. (acetic and citric acid raise the ppms drastically, and don't break down to useful nutrients). save some cash, especially if you have a large scale grow and basic water.

After a day my plants are still alive and doing well after the physan treatment. I still took 15 out of 36 to put in soil, it will take the pressure off of losing them all. They are HTC jamaican jam.

As for EWC tea, how do you make it? I searched but everything seems to be with soil. Is the recipe any different for aero applications?

opt1c

Veteran
nope it is the same... just don't add anything other than ewc and a sugar... we like 3 gal ro water; 2 cups ewc; 15ml carboload round here

So, I dont think I have RO water, just city tap water. I have a 18 gal res, do the formula proportions stay the same? Also, do I quit using my GH ferts and run this through flower? Sorry this is my first time doing this, I'm a soil man.

richyrich

Veteran
So, I dont think I have RO water, just city tap water. I have a 18 gal res, do the formula proportions stay the same? Also, do I quit using my GH ferts and run this through flower? Sorry this is my first time doing this, I'm a soil man.

Buy bottled water to make your EWC tea. Preferably distilled. Read through this thread to find your other answer. It is not too far back.

I have a 5000 gallon pond that has excellent water with plants and no chemicals, can I use this? Or a combo of pond water and distilled?

I still cant find how much to make , I will be using a 5 gallon bucket to make the brew. How many cups per gallon when its all made and muddy?

Carboy

RR~
Some quick questions:
Do you think the benes in EWC require a higher temp? or will just work in a higher temperature as well as lower? To inoculate, would 2 cups EWC tea/10 gallon be a good rule of thumb? Add every 3 days? I would think if you keep the air pump on the brew, the tea would be good for a long time -- you agree?
Haven't been keeping up --- what does EA and EN denote?

I've got this shit pretty much whipped w/ the sterilizing route, but what a maintenance schedule it is !! Got a separate small area for "practice". Thought i'd give it a shot on the natural side. Don't give a damn about organic, but am all over doing easy.

Thanks ---------- CB

GreenGeek

RickyRich,

So what your saying, is it's ok to put and use physan 20 in the rez during a grow? and the girls will be ok?

The other day i put 1.5 ml of physan 20 in a 17 gallon res. in with my seedlings and they are doing great, growth had kinda stalled though, but all very perky and green. No new signs of that brown crap.

I'm going to make an ewc tea tonight to help get things back in order.

richyrich

Veteran
RickyRich,

So what your saying, is it's ok to put and use physan 20 in the rez during a grow? and the girls will be ok?

What Steel says above. I have no experience using it continuously. My gut feeling was no even though the directions say it is fine.

richyrich

Veteran
RR~
Some quick questions:
Do you think the benes in EWC require a higher temp? or will just work in a higher temperature as well as lower? To inoculate, would 2 cups EWC tea/10 gallon be a good rule of thumb? Add every 3 days? I would think if you keep the air pump on the brew, the tea would be good for a long time -- you agree?
Haven't been keeping up --- what does EA and EN denote?

I've got this shit pretty much whipped w/ the sterilizing route, but what a maintenance schedule it is !! Got a separate small area for "practice". Thought i'd give it a shot on the natural side. Don't give a damn about organic, but am all over doing easy.

Thanks ---------- CB

You got it right.

"Two-part mycorrhizal inoculants, Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia, are for use with soil gardening and in hydroponics systems. When Earth Nectar, containing the concentrated mycorrhizal cultures, is mixed with Earth Ambrosia, the fuel delivery system for the active cultures, they infuse the growing medium with mycorrhiza resulting in stronger plants and increased crop yields. For use with soil or hydroponics

Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia are great for use in cloning systems. Used together in these solutions they prevent and protect tender young clones from the slimy buildup that sometimes occurs when the water is not changed often enough. Using these solutions will help bad microbes from attacking and rotting young rooting stems, andd will instead inspire your clones to grow the healthy white roots you are searching for."