What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains that don't smell like weed

Cuddles

I would stay away from Orange Bud, that definately has a weed smell. Most fruit smells can also be quite overpowering.

I would look into sativa strains, without too much indica influences. Some of these have more spicy, floral and incensy scents you'd not associate directly with typical weed smells. Some are also not to loud, only smell when touched and end of flowering.

I think ACE can be a good starting point, as their sativa's are fairly worked, making them a bit easier and faster to grow. But even then it differs from pheno to pheno.
thanks. Too bad though because I´ve been dying to smoke orange bud again as it was always just right for me. It used to help me relax and fall asleep easily and with a smile on my face :)
It always gave me a great nights sleep. It was also nice during daytime once in a while if I remember correctly.

I just read the Lemon Thai desription again and it does soun really great BUT it also says that it stimulates your appetite. Great for some people but I´m trying to lose weight , lol

How about Fruity Thai -does this one smell skunky-weedy whilst growing?

Asentrouw

thanks. Too bad though because I´ve been dying to smoke orange bud again as it was always just right for me. It used to help me relax and fall asleep easily and with a smile on my face :)
It always gave me a great nights sleep. It was also nice during daytime once in a while if I remember correctly.

I just read the Lemon Thai desription again and it does soun really great BUT it also says that it stimulates your appetite. Great for some people but I´m trying to lose weight

How about Fruity Thai -does this one smell skunky-weedy whilst growing?

I think Orange Bud is just a skunk selection. I remember it was quite loud end of flowering, with a quite typical orangy/citric, but clearly weed scent.

Some skunk pheno's are not too bad odor wise, but you can just aswell come across a roadkill pheno (although I suspect these are found more in skunk crosses with afghanica, which are real stinkers). 😅

For me - but that's personal - the Bubblegum had a simular relaxing and sleep inducing effect. It does have a nice sweet fruity smell, but is easily scrubbed. Fairly low odor, but not too potent.

I think it's a matter which "Thai" you come across, they have quite some different strains in southeast Asia. However, Lemon Thai is a hybrid, so that can go either way.

Last edited:

Cuddles

I think Orange Bud is just a skunk selection. I remember it was quite loud end of flowering, with a quite typical orangy/citric, but clearly weed scent.

Some skunk pheno's are not too bad odor wise, but you can just aswell come across a roadkill pheno (although I suspect these are found more in skunk crosses with afghanica, which are real stinkers). 😅

For me - but that's personal - the Bubblegum had a simular relaxing and sleep inducing effect. It does have a nice sweet fruity smell, but is easily scrubbed. Fairly low odor, but not too potent.

I think it's a matter which "Thai" you come across, they have quite some different strains in southeast Asia. However, Lemon Thai is a hybrid, so that can go either way.
you know, Bubble Gum has been on my list for years now. a place I´be ordered some seeds a few times now has some. Sadly they´re fem only :(
But here´s what it´s says about their Bubble Chum Gum:

Bubble Chum Gum​

Seed TypeFeminized
Flowering TimeMedium (8-10 Weeks)
Sativa/IndicaHybrid
ClimateMild / Continental
TypeIndoor & Outdoor
Grow DifficultyMedium
YieldLarge
HeightMedium
EffectEuphoric, Happy, Uplifted
Medical effectAnxiety, Pain, Stress
Origins and geneticsThe original Bubble Gum was developed by growers in Indiana (USA). From there Bubble Gum first moved to New England and then to the Netherlands. After many hybrids, a stable Bubble Gum with the characteristic sweet smell and euphoric high was produced. Bubble Gum is the winner of two awards in the 1994 High Times Cannabis Cup and a 2nd place in 1999 and 1995. It owes its name to its sweet smell and taste, reminiscent of the smell and flavour of chewing gum.
ProductionBubble Gum becomes a medium-sized, sturdy and beautiful plant of about one meter in height. It does not branch out much and has compact, round and dense buds. The flowering period is between 50 and 55 days. In the early stages, it is a tender plant. As such, handle it with care. After two weeks, it will start to grow significantly and is easily a match for other strains. Its leaves are dark green and narrow and sharply toothed. You can grow Bubble Gum indoors and outdoors. It does very well indoors. If you grow it outdoors, you can harvest it around September/October. Bubble Gum has an incredible yield. The yield is not only high and therefore smoke a lot of it, but its effect and flavour are also excellent.
Character & FlavourAs its name suggests, Bubble Gum smells sweet and fruity like chewing gum. The smoke is mild and pleasant and the fruity aroma and flavour are retained even after drying. Bubble Gum gives me nice euphoric bubbles in my head, but also gets me stoned. It takes a while for the effect to become noticeable, but also becomes powerful immediately.
Features- Fruity and sweet as chewing gum - Euphoric bubbles
Harvest MonthOctober

Reviews 13

Do you - or anybody else who´s grown it agree with this information in terms of growing odour, effects etc?

Their Tangerina Punch also sounds really yummy....

Asentrouw

Do you - or anybody else who´s grown it agree with this information in terms of growing odour, effects etc?

Don't know about that particular version, but I tried several Bubblegum fem seeds, smoked it a lot in the past in the shop and they pretty much are what the description says.

Compact managable plant, easy to grow, the yield is good (although not a super yielder), very sweet fruity odor, with sometimes Bubblegum smelling pheno's.

Potent enough for me, but not overwelming. Nice flavor. But above all a very mellow, relaxing, euphoric high. Both body and headhigh. Certainly a favorite of mine.

It does have odor, but it's not overwelming and quite managable with a scrubber.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
you know, Bubble Gum has been on my list for years now. a place I´be ordered some seeds a few times now has some. Sadly they´re fem only :(
But here´s what it´s says about their Bubble Chum Gum:

Bubble Chum Gum​

Seed TypeFeminized
Flowering TimeMedium (8-10 Weeks)
Sativa/IndicaHybrid
ClimateMild / Continental
TypeIndoor & Outdoor
Grow DifficultyMedium
YieldLarge
HeightMedium
EffectEuphoric, Happy, Uplifted
Medical effectAnxiety, Pain, Stress
Origins and geneticsThe original Bubble Gum was developed by growers in Indiana (USA). From there Bubble Gum first moved to New England and then to the Netherlands. After many hybrids, a stable Bubble Gum with the characteristic sweet smell and euphoric high was produced. Bubble Gum is the winner of two awards in the 1994 High Times Cannabis Cup and a 2nd place in 1999 and 1995. It owes its name to its sweet smell and taste, reminiscent of the smell and flavour of chewing gum.
ProductionBubble Gum becomes a medium-sized, sturdy and beautiful plant of about one meter in height. It does not branch out much and has compact, round and dense buds. The flowering period is between 50 and 55 days. In the early stages, it is a tender plant. As such, handle it with care. After two weeks, it will start to grow significantly and is easily a match for other strains. Its leaves are dark green and narrow and sharply toothed. You can grow Bubble Gum indoors and outdoors. It does very well indoors. If you grow it outdoors, you can harvest it around September/October. Bubble Gum has an incredible yield. The yield is not only high and therefore smoke a lot of it, but its effect and flavour are also excellent.
Character & FlavourAs its name suggests, Bubble Gum smells sweet and fruity like chewing gum. The smoke is mild and pleasant and the fruity aroma and flavour are retained even after drying. Bubble Gum gives me nice euphoric bubbles in my head, but also gets me stoned. It takes a while for the effect to become noticeable, but also becomes powerful immediately.
Features- Fruity and sweet as chewing gum - Euphoric bubbles
Harvest MonthOctober

Reviews 13

Their Tangerina Punch also sounds really yummy....
If not grown it myself but have a good friend who's grown it outdoors in Spain the last 3 years. Near harvest time you can smell it from a long way. She likes it and smokes it all day; I don't, far too mild for me, I prefer something more stimulating for regular all day use ie Sativa and if I do want an indica, then something more heavyweight.

Edit. I've just seen that you're talking about bubble chum gum and not bubble gum.
Sorry, I have no knowledge of that at all.

If you're wanting an indica though, then Sensei's NL hardly smells even in full flower, unless you touch it. I did 6 of them indoors in the 80's without a filter.

Last edited:

Cuddles

Don't know about that particular version, but I tried several Bubblegum fem seeds, smoked it a lot in the past in the shop and they pretty much are what the description says.

Compact managable plant, easy to grow, the yield is good (although not a super yielder), very sweet fruity odor, with sometimes Bubblegum smelling pheno's.

Potent enough for me, but not overwelming. Nice flavor. But above all a very mellow, relaxing, euphoric high. Both body and headhigh. Certainly a favorite of mine.

It does have odor, but it's not overwelming and quite managable with a scrubber.
Thanks.
I´m not too sure what this actually means. How do you scrub your plants? Or do you mean cleaning the grow tent throught the grow? I´ll be growing balcony /window only :) Hence my obsession with plants which don´t smell like weed too much ;)

I checked out Serious Seeds and they do offer regular ones but I´m afraid they are a little out of my price range. :(

Cuddles

If not grown it myself but have a good friend who's grown it outdoors in Spain the last 3 years. Near harvest time you can smell it from a long way. She likes it and smokes it all day; I don't, far too mild for me, I prefer something more stimulating for regular all day use ie Sativa and if I do want an indica, then something more heavyweight.
Cool thanks. It smells like chewing gum from a long distance? sounds okay to me.
It should be okay for me to smoke as I can´t handle too much at once anyway :biggrin:
one reason why i only do spliffs ;)

Asentrouw

I agree, its not a very potent one hit strain.

I smoke occasionally, so for my tolerance this is a plus. For the heavy smoker it's probably a bit light weight.

Thanks.
I´m not too sure what this actually means. How do you scrub your plants? Or do you mean cleaning the grow tent throught the grow? I´ll be growing balcony /window only :) Hence my obsession with plants which don´t smell like weed too much ;)

I checked out Serious Seeds and they do offer regular ones but I´m afraid they are a little out of my price range. :(

I mean a carbon filter will contain (scrub) the smell without any problems. 😉

Last time I run cheap knockoff 5 euro seeds from freeseeds, which is supposed to be Bubblegum crossed with AK47. Was great stuff.

If you go without filter or outdoors, then I would try Hombre's suggestion of Northern Lights. These are basically odorless, but not my cup of tea. Really dislike the taste and boring high.

Last edited:

Cuddles

I agree, its not a very potent one hit strain.

I smoke occasionally, so for my tolerance this is a plus. For the heavy smoker it's probably a bit light weight.

I mean a carbon filter will contain (scrub) the smell without any problems. 😉

Last time I run cheap knockoff 5 euro seeds from freeseeds, which is supposed to be Bubblegum crossed with AK47. Was great stuff.

If you go without filter or outdoors, then I would try Hombre's suggestion of Northern Lights. These are basically odorless, but not my cup of tea. Really dislike the taste and boring high.
I´ve sort of moved away from the idea of growing NL for my own personal use because I´m not looking for a couchlock. I can imagine growing it in the future for other people though.
This year however I´m growing for my own needs only.

SolarLogos

Most landrace Sativa have very little smell. My yard never smells. Unfortunately, they like to grow tall.

If I were you, I'd PM dubi and ask him. He'll direct you towards something that you like as far as effects, size, finish times in your area, etc. He has a huge selection to choose from and is a wealth of information.
Best of luck

oldworld

I would stay away from Orange Bud, that definately has a weed smell. Most fruit smells can also be quite overpowering.

I would look into sativa strains, without too much indica influences. Some of these have more spicy, floral and incensy scents you'd not associate directly with typical weed smells. Some are also not to loud, only smell when touched and end of flowering.

I think ACE can be a good starting point, as their sativa's are fairly worked, making them a bit easier and faster to grow. But even then it differs from pheno to pheno.

I vote ace as well. My Killer A5 Haze has not given me a weed funk yet, after 11 weeks in flower. It's got this weird earthy funky oily smell, but even up close doesn't smell of weed. Can't wait to smoke it.

Really, kwik seeds, mandala, Khalifa, anything from any of these breeders working with landraces should work.

Cuddles

I vote ace as well. My Killer A5 Haze has not given me a weed funk yet, after 11 weeks in flower. It's got this weird earthy funky oily smell, but even up close doesn't smell of weed. Can't wait to smoke it.

Really, kwik seeds, mandala, Khalifa, anything from any of these breeders working with landraces should work.
thank you! I´m gonna make a note of all this :) It says on their website that killer a5 haze is trippy. Can you (or anybody else) confirm this. Because I don´t actually want to go on a trip to be honest.
PS Is the yield really as high as they claim?

Cuddles

I google search came up with a number of recommended strains which are meant to be low or very low odour.
I´ve been considering Frisian Duck lately. It certainly doesn´t look that much like weed but the main reason I may try it out is because it´s suppose to be very low odour.

I´m also looking at non-weed plants to help mask the weed smell a little. There´s a few plants which have strong scents :)

Zeta Reticuli

Haved plant that smelled like those detergent Ariel,totally awfull smell,i saved this buds
to smoke them when i left whithouth normal weed,

in the end i gived them to guy i didnt like too much,
pretty unsmokable weed,i wished to vomit from that intensive detergent terpenes.

Cuddles

Haved plant that smelled like those detergent Ariel,totally awfull smell,i saved this buds
to smoke them when i left whithouth normal weed,

in the end i gived them to guy i didnt like too much,
pretty unsmokable weed,i wished to vomit from that intensive detergent terpenes.
Ariel, as in the washing powder? lol that does sound strange. Do you remember what the strain was called?

oldworld

thank you! I´m gonna make a note of all this :) It says on their website that killer a5 haze is trippy. Can you (or anybody else) confirm this. Because I don´t actually want to go on a trip to be honest.
PS Is the yield really as high as they claim?

I can't speak for the smoke yet, there's some smoke reports around here. Trippy seems misleading, it seems to be like the weed we smoked as kids was trippy, not like lsd is trippy.

I can say I am happy with the results. I pretty much fucked it with a late pruning, but whats left produced big fat colas. I am expecting a bumper crop off round 2.

Zeta Reticuli

No,i dont remember strain name cause i started to grow in a year 2000,so 24 years before present day,
and in begginings was grow everything i could put mine hands on,i belive it was some bag seed
that i found in some weed that come from South-East of Europe,Albania or Bosnia,not sure.

Definitly some no name strain,but it smelled hard on Ariel,washing powder.