What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains in Mass

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Shoot. I guess I'm a sucker for selling rooted clones for ten bucks, no matter what strain they are and giving the majority of them away to fellow growers I know because I have too many.

Yup, I gave away clones and plants too. Never sold one. On the flip side, I have no issue paying. If someone did the work there's no problem giving to acquire them. It's something I want and there's only a couple I trust to get it from then the deal's on..

OldCoolSativa

Personally, I truly find the history around cannabis genetics, activism/legal battles, creation/development of the online forums, all to be very interesting subjects to research. Each has a story to tell and has impacted some many things and people around the world.

So are people just keeping these lines in permanent vegetative mode for decades?

I'm also intrigued by the history of MJ genetics, particularly in the roles the Brotherhood of Eternal Love played. I advise you to go to the MNS forums and search for the grail and haze threads and give them a read. Lots of great information, but the threads eventually devolved into shit because of idiots and trolls.

Yes, the lines are kept by various individuals who keep mother plants and continue to propagate and replenish them via cuts and clones. Some cuts are over 30 years old, a few may be 40. I doubt there are any that pre-date the 1970s, because there wasn't a sufficient knowledge base about cannabis at that time, and most weed was imported rather than grown domestically.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Yup, I gave away clones and plants too. Never sold one. On the flip side, I have no issue paying. If someone did the work there's no problem giving to acquire them. It's something I want and there's only a couple I trust to get it from then the deal's on..

I have sold some well rooted clones for 20-25 depending. The only reason I charge is power and materials cost money. I have also found that the plants I have given away people werent serious about and the plant died.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I have sold some well rooted clones for 20-25 depending. The only reason I charge is power and materials cost money. I have also found that the plants I have given away people werent serious about and the plant died.

Never thought about it that way, but some of the ones I've given away were killed year after year by the same people. Then again others did well and appreciated the gifts.

I might charge in the future. This year some new gardeners came to me with seeds and wanted me to start them in my veg tent. It was daily hand watering for five weeks, their strain, 10 plants, something I had no interest in. My stuff is hydro and the feeding is automated. It was a little weird because they were pushing for me to start earlier than I wanted to, meaning I would be stuck with them longer and they would take even more precious room. For me, it was over the top when they asked why I hadn't, topped, trained or made clones for them. When they picked them up, I said no but they insisted on giving me some cash. For me it wasn't an an amount of money that would cover the work on ten plants.

Lessons learned. In the future I will grow only genetics I want and some will pay to cover the costs if they are fortunate to get some of the extras.

Magnificat

I would have had some of those rare genenetics of my own but my recent seed order was lost by our favorite friends at the USPS... over 430 bucks lost on one order! So im running some older seeds from a previous order, but man, what a dissapointment.. And of course i suspect theft...

So i can see why someone would charge money for clones.. 5 beans of pre98 bubba cost almost 200 bucks... And unfort. i won't be seeing any unless the USPS finds my letter full of cash.... Why didn't i just use bitcoin... And when will these companies be allowed to go paypal or CC.. :(

-m

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When prop 215 passed (decades ago) here in California, there were $15-$20 clones available in dispensaries everywhere. Some were 'legit', others were not. I always felt those prices were too low. After all, a select clone is just that, selected from a number of other plants. Some of the work has been done for you, and if it was by the breeder, their selection is the one you want. A clone is intellectual property. I have heirloom cuts that I wouldn't let go for...well, a very high price and newer ones that I give away free. The price doesn't have anything to do with quality, only how much work I've put into it. In other words, unless you want it for breeding purposes, you'd probably prefer my 'free' clone to one that you couldn't afford.

TL;DR $200 for intellectual property is not a very high price.

Look anything under $50 for proven authentic strains, in my opinion is acceptable. For us we have paid that much for seeds which take time to get to where the clone already is. And getting a healthy rooted clone into our grow room would allow us to have more cuttings in a couple weeks.

That would actually be a really fun job. To own and run a nursery for strains. And just pump out cuttings for people.

yardgrazer

Yeah, I don't think the argument that a clone is intellectual property is a strong one, even in a solely theoretical sense. That said we can all agree the mother and clones are someone's physical property, and it's reasonable to pay for the clone-creator's time and expenses/what the market will bear to get a cut from someone... but intellectual property?

I'm also intrigued by the history of MJ genetics, particularly in the roles the Brotherhood of Eternal Love played. I advise you to go to the MNS forums and search for the grail and haze threads and give them a read. Lots of great information, but the threads eventually devolved into shit because of idiots and trolls.

Yes, the lines are kept by various individuals who keep mother plants and continue to propagate and replenish them via cuts and clones. Some cuts are over 30 years old, a few may be 40. I doubt there are any that pre-date the 1970s, because there wasn't a sufficient knowledge base about cannabis at that time, and most weed was imported rather than grown domestically.

MNS forum? But thanks I will definitely read up on this. Also I thought brotherhood of eternal love was only involved with distributing psychedelics such as; LSD and STP.

Facelesdoll

For any price lineage should matter.... I am sorry but it is a fact. We need to know everything. I am so glad I know my c99 cut is from batneys farm because it is garbage, checked off on the list it may have never existed on but it makes for good nonotes would pay good for legit cuts so I see that as fair but more information is needed. Everybody says they have the real deal but need to prove it before they go sticking their junk in someone else's hands

HerbChambers

FWIW...The Berkshire Clones character mentioned at the beginning of this thread has been called out numerous times on IG for not coming through, misrepresenting strains, and sending out cuts covered in bugs.

My GG4, Mendo Breath and Super Lemon Glaze mothers are not doing well for some reason. Hoping i don't lose them. I was already supposed to start another run a few weeks ago. I wish there were places to buy good cuts like some of the places in Cali, because right now i just want to buy some cuts and be done with it (starting this run i mean). Of course i have no seeds right now either, even though i would like to start clones again this run.

:wallbash:

@SweetIndica2 It would be really cool to be able to just go into a store and purchase cuttings. Hell even to run a store like that would also be amazing. Hope your plants are doing better now.

Gone Camping

I don't know but a couple who grow in my area, and frankly most are someone I wouldn't want knowing that I grow..

So i'm pretty much stuck with buying genetics in seed form, wish i had the opportunity to aquire in clone form.. i'd be willing to pay a fair price at this point.

I had considered taking the drive up to MA and hit one of the clone vendors at an event, i'd really like to try something special and not easily found from seed.

My GG4 and Mendo Breath mothers are looking even worse, i tried to take clones but they aren't looking so hot either.

I was offered some cuts/seedlings from some fine gentleman here, but they had to be chopped because of lack of room because i could not get a ride to go that distance from anyone. I had a friend back out on me at the last minute.

I live in the Plymouth area and unfortunately it's hard for me to get a ride when most people on here live 2+ hours away.

Latest posts

Latest posts